• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Wby Mk V accuracy potential?

Wannashootit

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Sep 3, 2010
    FL
    Considering picking up a Mk V action for a .338 Lapua build. I know the actions are essentially indestructible- but I've not seen a purpose-built LR/ELR target rifle built on one. Due to the bolt design there can't be any blueprinting done to the lugs or abutments, and I've always thought of them as "hunting accuracy" rifles. I can pick one up for what I think is a reasonable price- but I'm curious as to how well made these are; not in terms of strength but rather tolerances/concentricity etc. How confident can I be this can be a foundation for a 1/2-3/4 minute rifle at worst with all other components capable of doing their part?

Reactions: diverdon
    None of mine ever came close to precision rifle standards for accuracy. I've been told they were built with excessive freebie, so if you rebarrel it who knows. I've never rebarrled one. My current Mark V is a 30-06. It shoots close to 2 moa with hunting ammo.

The cheaper Vangards always shot well.

Last edited:
    Personally, after what Weatherby did to me, I'd stay away from them. Back in 2008 I bought a Weatherby Accumark in .257 Wby Mag. It shot great until around 50 rounds down the bore, which took years, because it was a deer rifle, and I only shot a couple deer a year, and 3 shots at the beginning of the season to check zero. So around 2012 I started having accuracy issues from it. I took it to my gunsmith around 2013 after hunting season, and he said the barrel had a bunch of tight-spots in it, and that it was defective from the factory. So he recommended calling Weatherby, as they had a good warranty. I called Weatherby, and the guy there basically told me that was impossible, that their guns were always perfect, and QA/QC was the best, etc... And then when I told him my gunsmith borescoped it, he told me he didn't know what he was talking about, and blah blah blah, and was just REALLY rude. By the end of the conversation, he basally told me to "go f*** myself" and then hung up the phone.

Might have just been a gung-ho fanboy moron that worked there, but I will NEVER give Weatherby another dime of my money as long as I live.

I'm not telling you this to badmouth Weatherby, because they've always built really fine rifles, but I'm just giving you a heads-up as to what could happen. Personally, I'll stick with my R700s and custom builds from now on. None of them have ever had any issues.

Considering picking up a Mk V action for a .338 Lapua build. I know the actions are essentially indestructible- but I've not seen a purpose-built LR/ELR target rifle built on one. Due to the bolt design there can't be any blueprinting done to the lugs or abutments, and I've always thought of them as "hunting accuracy" rifles. I can pick one up for what I think is a reasonable price- but I'm curious as to how well made these are; not in terms of strength but rather tolerances/concentricity etc. How confident can I be this can be a foundation for a 1/2-3/4 minute rifle at worst with all other components capable of doing their part?
    I think the barrel has FAR more to do with accuracy than the action.
    Seeing as they use it for the 378/460 cases it’s probably plenty strong.
    Slap a quality barrel on it and it should do well.
    Obviously trigger choices are slim and I’m curious about the action inlet.

Last edited:
    I had some older Accumarks and varmint masters that were ridiculously accurate and those where with the Criterion barrels. Sadly the stuff Criterion has been putting out in recent years is extremely hit or miss and seemingly more miss than hit.

The Weatherby actions are great though and before all the custom actions of today was about the best action you could build a Lapua BF round off of and a lot of LR hunting rifles were built on them. The downside is lack of aftermarket parts like stocks, bottom metals, and triggers. Luckily the Weatherby bottom metal is pretty decent as long as the OAL and not having a DBM doesn’t present an issue and you can get a few stock options from McMillan.

Personally I’d go with a high quality R700 based custom no matter how good of a deal the Weatherby is. Just because of parts support, and resale value down the road. Good luck trying to sell a custom Weatherby for even 50% of whatever you put in it.

Reactions: DAVETOOLEY
    Pretty sure Triggertech is making a trigger for the Mark V these days.

Appreciate the input. Action has a Timney which I'm sure is an improvement. Supposedly adjustable down to 1-1/2 lbs which is a bit heavier than I like but workable.
    I think the barrel has FAR more to do with accuracy than the action.
    I agree 100%, which is why I mentioned the "other components".
    Many reasons the factory rifles could seem to have "limited" accuracy, admittedly I don't know much about the Wby's.

Just trying to figure out the "why" behind not seeing any target sticks built off their actions. Could very well be the limited aftermarket support.
    It's attractive price-wise at a bit more than half the cost of the Defiance Deviant.

I have a Weatherby MK V that rifles only installed a top of the line stainless shilen barrel and bedded in a McMillan stock. 300 wby mag. They did this a long time ago when they were doing just barrel work.

aftermarket trigger and bottom metal. If I remember correctly the bottom metal was expensive.

it shoots 3/4 at 100 with 180 grain accubonds when I do my part.