• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

We all know that one guy...

Boyscout618

Private
Minuteman
Apr 9, 2011
DC area
...that thinks he knows everything about guns. For me it's the kid in my homeroom class that brags about his kill streak on "COD" and refers to the AUG as the "ogg". He also thinks this is the ultimate weapon, and refers to any others as "for noobs". He thinks iron sights are better than scopes because all scopes do (apparently) is cut down on your vision field. He hunts with a M700 or M70, he doesn't seem to know, with iron sights. It may be a 700 CDL, which I don't believe comes with iron sights... I am not against them, I just think they go better on a semi-auto or at least a lever action. Anyways, most blasphemous of all, he hates snipers, aka "campers" because they kill him too often when he "respawns". I try to not talk guns around Dylan...
Do you know anyone like this???

Re: We all know that one guy...

Yes..My wife's 13 year old!

Most guys standing around at a counter in Bass Pro, Cabelas, Gander MTN and yes the dreaded WAL-MART..

I live and work on a gun range. I'm surrounded by them!! Funny each day of the week has it's own locals and then that group has an authority amongst them!

I try to ignore people when they try arguing weapons, tactics, history, ect based on something they saw in a movie or video game.

For example, someone once tried to tell me that you can't reload the M1 Garand mid-clip because you couldn't do it in most WW2 video games. Grabbing my M1 from the closet quickly demonstrated their true lack of knowledge.

I don't normally see this kind of stuff much anymore, but when it comes up, people generally ask me questions instead of trying to tell me.

One guy at a range i frequent.

Bought a Remmy 7615, outfitted it with a pistolgrip buttstock and shitty-ass no-name red dot. Literally couldnt hit a paint-tin lid at 50m. Took him no less than 4 hours to sight it in.

He also handloaded 200 rounds of .223 ammo without even testing a batch of 20 or so. Not sure whether they were too light or too heavy but they wouldn't stabilise in his barrel (not that he knew that).
(Be aware, semi-autos are banned in australia, however he wanted a rifle for 'defence', despite the fact that, this too, is illiegal in australia).

Bought a TRG42 in .300WM, bought the Sako Bipod, Sako Mounts and Rings... and a $300 CentrePoint scope. Couldn't hit a paint-tin lid at 100yd, no joke, they were spread out all over a 3x3ft page. Then wondered why my T3 was grouping tighter than his "Military Grade Sniper Rifle".
Couldn't understand the concept that a scope actually contributed to a rifle's accuracy.

I basically gave up trying to preach to him after half an hour. I remember the first time i met him that he got kicked off the range for playing with his rifle during a cease-fire. Talked about flying to the US to go on a shooting tour.

~~~~~

@BFMF, I'm in the same boat. I got over immature arguments by people who've never been in the situation. And neither have I, so I refrain my comments.

I work with a guy who thinks Armalites are low quality and the bolts fail, and Bushmaster's suck, and a plethora of other things.

I finally asked him, "What brand do you prefer."

His answer: "Bravo Company"

Nissan patrol , meet him up here in Mt Isa wanted to buy his first rifle I said just get a 22 and shoot some rimfire comp's , next time I see him he has a brand new win mod70 in 300mag , Then I see him a few month's later he sold it wasn't accurate enough for him , so now he has a Rem sendero in 300rum and was talking to me about getting a 375chevy-tac (I know it's spelt wrong thats what he calls it) so he can shoot long range , I said you no you can shoot to a mile with what you have already , he just looked at me all confused

I asked him how many round's he had shot out of his rifle's he said abut 60 ....

I just gave up after the last time I talked to him .

I am a National Park Ranger LE and an Army Reserve Drill Sergeant. I have to deal with these know it all idiots every day!!!

I am glad to see some Aussies on here! I lived in Queensland for 2 years and I only met a few people who owned guns.

I used to work part time in a gun shop/range. I had those types all the time. Video gamers and know it alls. One of the classics was a know it all that walked in and said he wanted to shoot 1000 yards. So I showed him some set ups that could possibly do it accurately. He said that cost too much. Despite my best efforts he bought a used beat up model 70 30-06 hunting rifle with a Bushnell banner and a couple boxes of Remington soft points. Sighted in on our 60 foot range and thought he was ready to be a 1000 yd sniper......

@Gulp.
What part of Queensy did you live in? Most of australia is anti-gun but us shooters like to fly under the radar a bit and not give the elitist left-wing anything to work with.

@DontMiss.
I've met a few like that too, overheard a convo in our local 'smith where the guy walked out after he realised how many variables he'd have to account for in a 1000m shot, he couldn't be bothered 'learning all that crap'

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Griffin Armament</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I work with a guy who thinks Armalites are low quality and the bolts fail, and Bushmaster's suck, and a plethora of other things.

</div></div>

I agree with him on all accounts. BCM's are top tier AR's, Bushys and Armalites are not.

This past weekend we had a booth a gun show. One lady pointed to our suppressed Barrett M82 and called it a AR15, then several people throughout the weekend pointed to the M249 and called it AR15s too. WTFLOL. Then I had an old guy at on Sunday come up and talk to me and told me that suppressors and silencers were 2 totally different things an suppressors can be had without a tax stamp. He has a friend that works at the ATF for 32 years so he would know better then me. You also have the countless hoards of people asking us if the suppressors are real or not and they are illegal to own.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Griffin Armament</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I work with a guy who thinks Armalites are low quality and the bolts fail, and Bushmaster's suck, and a plethora of other things.

</div></div>

So how is he "that guy"? Sounds like he's done his research.

Bravo Company is among the best. Bushmaster is literally scraping the bottom of the barrel when it comes to ARs. Sounds like in your and his conversation you were "that guy". It isn't a brand preference thing, its a matter of what quality assurance steps the companies take to assure their product is up to par. BCM>Armalite>Bushmaster

Most think any NFA item is illegal to own.

I see it all the time. One of my coworkers asked if adding a suppressor to a M4 made it shoot full auto. On the game he plays it does make your M4 shoot full auto.

I was setting my zero stop at 100yds and my paper had two holes in it. One a few inches away from the bull and one right on it. I had my zerostop set before then person fired one shot. I was thinking you would never catch me using my suite at the range. So I figured I needed to watch this guy shoot. Each shot he would say WTF where did it go. So I started looking at his rifle. Loose screws what only could be considered a $30.00 scope on a savage. At least he got a decent rifle and wolf 308 ammo. By now 10 shots are down range. So I tell him you are hitting about 15 minutes to the left. He looked at me then his watch. No about 15 inches to the left of where you are aiming you are hitting my target. Can’t you see the hole in my target? He said no if you want you can look threw my scope. So he got up and looked at the target with my NF set at 22power. Wow that is clear. Was his response. So I told him he had loose screws and every other issue I saw with his setup. Well the screws where not loose they were broken. So he packed up and drove off. This old guy came over and asked what I said to him. So I told him and the old guy just laughed and said he sees lots of guys wearing that stuff. So I told him what it was for. The guy asked where there is that much green in ND. I was laughing when I said I do not know that is why mine is a tanish brown.

Some people will fool you. I was working the Sight In days for our club a couple days before hunting season.

This out of state hunter shows up from PA starts to pull a brand new Berneli semi auto in 7 WSM he just got from Cabelas as he was passing through Rapid City, and starts to sight it in for his antelope hunt.

I figure this ought to be fun, and I move to his bench just to be on the safe side. I mention to his hunting partner that I did't think it was a good ideal to drive 2000 miles to hunt with a rifle thats never been fired.

His partner laughs, and tells me the real story. This guy does this all the time. Acting all up setthat he forget his rifle. Calls his wife and tells her he needs to buy a rifle to keep from ruining his cross country trip.

He had no problem getting his new rifle zeroed. Later we got to talking and he was trying to figure out what "new" rifle to get the next time he "forgets" his rifle.

I usually try to help guys like that when I'm at the range. Last trip there were two guys there getting their "deer rifles" ready for season. One guy was shooting a Remington 770 with a Walmart (Center-point maybe?) scope. The other guy had a Savage Axiom? or something like that, a cheapened Savage and had what he described as an "expensive" "bone collector bushnell". Both this guys were shooting .30-06 and pounding lead down range as fast as they could trying to get their new rifles zeroed but couldn't. They started at 100 yards and were using their ammo boxes stacked up for a rest.

Finally, I offered to help them. The one guy that seemed to know more what he was doing had the scope rings tightened all the way on one side, while the screws were barely making contact with the bottom half of the ring on the other. Not only that, the base was loose. So I took it completely apart, leveled it, torqued it to spec, and even leveled the reticled and bore-sighted it for him. He asked me to shoot it and zero it. So I pulled out my front rest and a regular bunny-ear sandbag and walked down to the 25 yard line. I shot once, then adjusted the reticle to POI. Then walked down to the 100 yard line, was about 2" off and dialed it in and had it zeroed in three shots. The guys couldn't believe their eyes and had just always accepted that it takes several boxes of ammunition to get rifles zeroed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Some people will fool you. I was working the Sight In days for our club a couple days before hunting season.

This out of state hunter shows up from PA starts to pull a brand new Berneli semi auto in 7 WSM he just got from Cabelas as he was passing through Rapid City, and starts to sight it in for his antelope hunt.

I figure this ought to be fun, and I move to his bench just to be on the safe side. I mention to his hunting partner that I did't think it was a good ideal to drive 2000 miles to hunt with a rifle thats never been fired.

His partner laughs, and tells me the real story. This guy does this all the time. Acting all up setthat he forget his rifle. Calls his wife and tells her he needs to buy a rifle to keep from ruining his cross country trip.

He had no problem getting his new rifle zeroed. Later we got to talking and he was trying to figure out what "new" rifle to get the next time he "forgets" his rifle. </div></div>

Wow, that is a brilliant man. I'm getting married in the spring. I need to file that one away!

You see more of these types at the public ranges.

My friend and I were shooting and some kids our age came with 2 rifles to sight in for deer season. 2 were shooting, the other 4 were drinking and watching. They threw a bunch of clays on the berm at 200 yards. When we asked to go hot they said they didn't need hearing protection. They then proceeded to "zero" their rifles by shooting offhand at the clays at 200 yards. Probably shot around 40 rounds between the two of them in about 10 minutes not hitting a single clay or even coming close. Not to mention I watched them cross each other with their rifles multiple times. They then went to the 50 yard range, and still couldn't hit until they ran out of ammo.

Asked my friend if the could buy some .308 off of him and were extremely confused when he said how much a box of match ammo was. They left pissed off, but at least we had plenty of clays to shoot once they were gone.

Last Sunday at the range I set up my 22 for some target practice. I get my Midway USA mat out, my range bags, etc and no one is there yet. I shoot my first 5 round group and the hillbilly patrol rolls in.

One of them is an avid 22LR shooter but is more into the tacticool rather than precision. He has an AR15 22LR dedicated upper SBR with a can. I think it is just wrong to pay more in tax than the rifle is worth but whatever he wants. For a mental picture this guy is ~5'6" and 140lbs decked out in biker leather driving a.... scooter. Seriously reminds me of the cop in village people. Every now and again this guy will spout something off like "my 7" barreled AR can outshoot your 308 at 100 all damn day" or "this silencer really takes the recoil out of shooting" To which I just sigh and ignore him.

The second is an AK guy and loooooooooooooves doing mag dumps. Well its a public range so whatever, I'll just practice blocking them out. This guy is a mirror image of the first except no biker leather or scooter. Instead he dresses more like the traditional hillbilly (gotta be true to your roots). This guy loves to talk almost as much as shoot. He vows the Simmons line of scopes is good and Leupold is second ONLY (he really emphasizes this) to Swarovski (which he refuses to say but refers to it as "the S word"). When he said "the S word" I automatically assumed S&B to which he gave me a puzzled look. He was putting 12" paper plates at 25yds and was amazed at the accuracy telling everyone "just put the irons on a guy's chest at 100yds and thats all you need". He was saying this even though he was missing every third shot.... at 25yds. He'd never heard of Vortex optics (on my 10/22) but was sure a fixed 6x leupold from 1970s would blow it out of the water

Oh yes, I have encountered these people often throughout my short life. Everytime I get a chance I do a quick clean kill to show my knowledge and get them to stop spewing their garbage. Mis-information is rampant in the gun world, as are self-proclaimed experts.

MY uncle is the one I can't shoot down though. Essentially he talks down damn near everything I own. He literally just makes stuff up, which is why I stopped shooting with him. He is the definition of self-proclaimed expert and will tell you everything you want to know about a gun he's never even heard of. He'll also toss around terms like "HBAR" and have no idea what it means. He loves to call my AK's crap like a typicall goon, but one day he saw one at a gunshop and said it looked better than all of the other ones he's seen and spent 10 minutes talking about it and finishing with "I might go pick it up". I made my way down there to take a look and it was nothing more than a standard WASR-10 with Tapco furniture. Wish I had more expamples but I stopped doing much of anything to do with him a couple years ago.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Some people will fool you. I was working the Sight In days for our club a couple days before hunting season.

He had no problem getting his new rifle zeroed. Later we got to talking and he was trying to figure out what "new" rifle to get the next time he "forgets" his rifle. </div></div>

+1

"@Gulp.
What part of Queensy did you live in? Most of australia is anti-gun but us shooters like to fly under the radar a bit and not give the elitist left-wing anything to work with."

I was all over the State, Yepoon, Brisbane, Nambour, Gold Coast and Toowoomba to name a few.

</div></div>

I lmfao. I agree with him on all counts. I think you like to dig a hole around here.

Hey, I could've been that guy ... over 50 yrs ago.
grin.gif

I was at Walmart... looking at ammo for my pistols. Guy started talking ammo with me, then started telling me which ammo is good and which is not, really came off with a strong opinion. I asked him if they carried any Horandy ammo.. he looked at me and said "I've never even heard of it!?"

I was shooting pistol and zeroing a 22 mag while I lived in Colorado and I watch a guy walk up the canyon and start to zero his shiny new 300 win mag with leupold scope for Elk season, I hear two shots and see the same guy walking down the canyon without the rifle and holding his hand on his head with blood spots on his T- shirt. I knew what happened scope eye, he asked if anyone could help him get a zero on his rifle. I walked up the hill and he had a target about 20 feet down range with a single hit on it. I cleared his rifle paced out 50 meters all I could get on the range set up a new target fired 5 rounds and got him centered at 50 and asked if he wanted to confirm, he said nope Im good still bleeding out of the half ring on his eye. I mentioned to him that he would have to shoot it again out to 100 or 200 to get a good zero for the season, but He probably never shot it again.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: boyscout157</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> For me it's the kid in <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="color: #CC0000">my homeroom</span></span></span> class that brags about his kill streak on "COD" and refers to the AUG as the "ogg". </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: boyscout157</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ok, so I <span style="font-weight: bold">outgrew</span> my M70 <span style="font-weight: bold">youth</span> model 7mm-08 a couple years back, <span style="font-weight: bold">so my dad got</span>...</div></div>

Just sayin'

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Batyote</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: boyscout157</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> For me it's the kid in <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="color: #CC0000">my homeroom</span></span></span> class that brags about his kill streak on "COD" and refers to the AUG as the "ogg". </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: boyscout157</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ok, so I <span style="font-weight: bold">outgrew</span> my M70 <span style="font-weight: bold">youth</span> model 7mm-08 a couple years back, <span style="font-weight: bold">so my dad got</span>...</div></div>

Just sayin' </div></div>

What are you "Just sayin' "?

Had one guy that told me he wouldn't bring out a suppressor at a range because they are illegal. Told him they weren't, we went round and round until I asked him if he was calling me a criminal and should call the cops. Showed him my paperwork and he left...

Reminds me of the gentleman that was telling me how to dope my scope for 1k. This was unsolicited advice mind you. "For 1000 yds and a 7 mag you need 291 clicks".

Maybe he uses an 8 inch barrel?

I know a guy that thinks bullets actually fly up then come down.

During the first gulf war a cousin of mine told me President Bush had heard what a amazing marksmen he was. Former Pres Bush apparently asked him to kill saddam hussein. Of course he was gonna use his"8"??? that made the bullet travel upwards before impact. According to him the traveling upward part made it DEADLY. I am very proud of my hero cousin:)
OH! and he was never in the millitary... come to think of it he wasn't even in the fucking boy scouts.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: boyscout157</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Batyote</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: boyscout157</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> For me it's the kid in <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="color: #CC0000">my homeroom</span></span></span> class that brags about his kill streak on "COD" and refers to the AUG as the "ogg". </div></div>

Just sayin' </div></div>

What are you "Just sayin' "? </div></div>

That it sounds like you're about 13...14 years old? In the off chance you are a homeroom teacher, it sure sounds like you know alot about everyone's Call of Duty habits.

16, thank you very much. I don't have an x-box or a playstation, but I do have a gamecube I haven't played in 3 years if you are interested. I'm here trying to learn as much as possible from the experts about what I love doing. Is that an issue?

hey boyscout157. Just ignore them, There is nothing wrong with wanting to learn more about what you love doing. There is alot of good information on hear as well as alot of people who just like to give others a hard time. Just keep reading and have fun, and ignore the BS.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: boyscout157</div><div class="ubbcode-body">16, thank you very much. I don't have an x-box or a playstation, but I do have a gamecube I haven't played in 3 years if you are interested. I'm here trying to learn as much as possible from the experts about what I love doing. Is that an issue? </div></div>

It's just that pronouncing AUG as if one word is perfectly acceptable. At least, it is in the parts of the world where it's made
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mortarguy5611</div><div class="ubbcode-body">hey boyscout157. Just ignore them, There is nothing wrong with wanting to learn more about what you love doing. There is alot of good information on hear as well as alot of people who just like to give others a hard time. Just keep reading and have fun, and ignore the BS. </div></div>

Agreed.

Now now, everybody. Let's not jump on our own. Boyscout might be young and new to this (hell, so am I) but at least he's here and not on Call of Duty. We're supposed to be bashing OTHER people.

Like the 3 toothed guy pushing 400lbs wearing a sweatband who showed up a few weeks back. This guy busts out a vise to shoot from. Not a lead sled. Not a gun vise. But a full on 40-50lb vise. He cushions it with a towel to not leave marks. I asked him what he was doing and he said "I got a new 25-06 and I don't want it to move."

So he gets his 30 minutes of cardio in walking down to 150yds and back to set up his target. Then he busts out his handloads (20 of them). Immediately I begin to give the guy some credit as in my mind if you're willing to go through the process of handloading, you have to be somewhat competent. He shoots 3 times and isn't on paper. He shoots another 3 and is frustrated. All of these were while I was shooting myself so I didn't pay too much attention. He asks me to spot him if he's shooting high, low, etc.

He fires low and I tell him. He immediately craaaaaaaaaaaanks on the knob at least 15moa up (the target is 12 inches). He then fires high and I tell him. He then craaaaaaaaaaaaanks it back down never counting how many clicks or moa. This process repeats itself for 3/4 more times until I politely tell him I need to get back to shooting my rifles.

30 minutes pass and the guy begins to ask me if I know what could be going on and I ask him about his adjustment methods. I suggest not adjusting more than the target size but he doesn't listen because "that can't be it. He's been doing that for 30 years." I then say it is either the shooter, the rifle, the scope, or the ammo. That was a mistake.

This guy then begins to say he can reload match grade 25-06, 30-06, and 270 for less than a 50c a round. I openly call shenanigans to everyone else there and outline even ignoring the cost of the press, case prep, tumbler, etc. The components themselves are more than 50 cents. But he insists and even the other people at the range roll their eyes at him.

He finally gets on paper a few shots later and was so happy. He noted he was low (~5") and craaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanked on the elevation knob. Next shot - off paper high. I about busted out laughing. He was extremely frustrated now and I begin packing up and ask him one last question: "If you don't shoot at least a 3 shot group, how do you know you didn't just jerk accidentally?" His response: "I don't. I only shoot groups once it is sighted in. Ammo's too expensive."

These are the people I deal with every weekend.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: boyscout157</div><div class="ubbcode-body">16, thank you very much. I don't have an x-box or a playstation, but I do have a gamecube I haven't played in 3 years if you are interested. I'm here trying to learn as much as possible from the experts about what I love doing. Is that an issue? </div></div>

Don't pay the assholes any mind, you don't have to explain yourself to anybody. A lot of people here forget that they were young once too.

It's just fucking amazing to me that our sport is dieing very quickly but instead of welcoming new/young people to it most run them away then cry the blues when the new generation is voting for people who want to ban guns and have never been around them. Get over yourselves people, you should only want to help this kid any way you can.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChielScape</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: boyscout157</div><div class="ubbcode-body">16, thank you very much. I don't have an x-box or a playstation, but I do have a gamecube I haven't played in 3 years if you are interested. I'm here trying to learn as much as possible from the experts about what I love doing. Is that an issue? </div></div>

It's just that pronouncing AUG as if one word is perfectly acceptable. At least, it is in the parts of the world where it's made
wink.gif
</div></div>

I must be a douchebag, because I've only ever heard it pronounced "Ogg". And when I find myself talking about one (which is not often), I too call it the "Ogg". A friend has an MSAR, which looks to be the same thing, but hell, I'm a douchebag, what do I know?

Who calls it an A.U.G.??

Hey boyscout! Hang in there...this place can be brutal, but it is worth its wieght in gold when it comes to proper advice!
So he's 16yr old? I wish there was a site like this when I was that old! Give him a brake! He is here to learn...just like the rest of us.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: halcyon575</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This guy then begins to say he can reload match grade 25-06, 30-06, and 270 for less than a 50c a round. I openly call shenanigans to everyone else there and outline even ignoring the cost of the press, case prep, tumbler, etc. The components themselves are more than 50 cents. But he insists and even the other people at the range roll their eyes at him.
</div></div>

Why is this a lie? Sounds reasonable. You can not count the cost of the equipment in your finished round cost. How can you know how many cycles it will have over its life? Same goes with brass. Once you shoot it one time it is yours. Then every time you fire it from there on it is free. That first shot is very expensive then the cost goes down to only bullet, powder and primer. My hand loads are just under a buck a shot on my 338LM with shipping. I did some quick math and 308 is about $0.44 per shot with out shipping. So if you buy enough or get a flat rate shipping I can see it being less than 50 cents a shot.

Ok I just went thru all boyscout's post's not to hard he only has 18 , just had to make sure he wasn't another Maser , he hasn't done anything that I could see that disrespected anyone . He has been asking question's and learning that is why we are all here to share information and learn from each other .

Give him a chance unless he has done something .

There is to much petty fighting and BS going on on the hide lately I don't no why
but it's not good ... seem's like people are trying to get reactions out of each other

Dont get me wrong I like the hide there is no other place like it with the knowledge we have here , I am gad I found this place and I wish I had found it years ago ...

OK so back on topic

We have some of the dumbest gun law's I have ever seen in Queensland .

I was trying to get a permit for a EDM XM Series .408Cheytac so I ring the weapons licensing branch over here in qld to see if they will even issue me a permit for a 408 .

The guy who answered the phone did not know what I was talking about , so he put me thru to one if the guy's who can authorise permit's , and I say I just want to know if I can own a 408cheytac in QLD he say's "no you cant they are for snipers killing people in Afghanistan there isn't a range in QLD that will let you use it no you cant have it " I said there are ranges that will let me use I would also use it on private property for hunting he say's " no you cant use it "

So I say have you issued permits for a windrunner ?

he say's yeah some guy bought in a 338 , I say "ok can I have a 375Cheytac"

He say's "yes you can "

I am like I don't understand I cant have a 408 but I can have a 375 ?

He says yeah our ballistic people have looked at it and the 408 go's faster thats why you can have one "

so in short I cant own a 408 but I can own a 375 I can also own a 416 .

I cant own a 1911 45acp but I can own a 357mag I can also own a BFR in 30-30
but not a pistol in 40s&w

Sorry to hear about your crazy gun laws in Australia. We're trying to follow suit here in the USA....won't be too too long now.

Question for you though: Are you familiar with the singer Steve Lee from Australia? If so, he has a music video for the song "I like guns". It shows him in Australia with ALL KINDS of guns I didn't think you could have...like AR15s, M60s etc etc.

How did he get guns like that in Australia?