• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

We are being lied to

Everybody is going to be a little bit different, I think. If I don't eat before I lift, almost always oatmeal, my performance suffers. I give it about an hour to settle.

I don't think I have had cheat carbs in four years, exactly because I don't want to see it come out the other end. I do miss ice cream. And sour cream and onion potato chips.

When I was a carb eater my workout always seemed to be timed to my lows.

I had to decide do I eat something and feel full or do I just work out low and hope adrenalin kicks in.....

As a fat eater now I think when the bod feels low it just goes to the fridge I carry on my waist and keeps the eńergy level at a steady state.

I drink bourbon/whiskey when I do drink.......come to think of it I haven't really hit the bottle since October........should I drink more on your recommendations?
Nah you’re probably better off. Just was curious what tanked your HDL.

i stopped eating bread because that means going to the store more often (vs rice or beans or pasta).
we don't bake.
besides that and not being able to go to the bar, i lost a lot.

Nah you’re probably better off. Just was curious what tanked your HDL.

Will alcohol raise it up?

Last LDL was 215 or so which usually would be an issue but doc said my HDL was so high I was golden.

Now I'm below 180 LDL and well above 40 for HDL so my knowing little says I am good.

Problem is we have a govt/media/education system that will speak in absolutes and I am finding regards bacon, eggs, and steak they are full of shit.

I do miss a big ice cream. On occasion I dream of the ice cream shop right in the harbor of Nantucket Island that sells decadent ice cream in warm waffle cones
Treat yourself. If you crush that waffle cone right after a grueling workout it'll probably work out to be a good thing. Simple carbs'll replenish your glycogen stores after a tough workout.

Stealing the air fryer from the MIL was a good grab......

image.jpg

I've been on the "semi-keto" diet. I need to eat more green stuff. But my stomach has been so messed up today I figured I'd go to some simple carbs for one meal. Funny, I used to love grits. Now...eh...they were ok, but I truly can live without them. And, my stomach feels better. So, in another 8 months I guess I'll eat grits again...LOL.

Will alcohol raise it up?

Last LDL was 215 or so which usually would be an issue but doc said my HDL was so high I was golden.

Now I'm below 180 LDL and well above 40 for HDL so my knowing little says I am good.
Yes alcohol causes HDL levels to rise

pmclaine, congrats on the weight loss and good labs. From what I can see you diet is fairly solid for good health which is great! However are you measuring your ketone levels to determine if your in & staying in ketosis? It is actually pretty difficult (as in it takes consistent measurements for a while to determine how your body is reacting to the current diet, everyone is a little different) to stay in ketosis. It looks like you follow a ket-ish diet and if it is working for you that is all that matters, especially for everyday nutrition. I have tried the Ketosis thing (very strict diet and measuring) for my training & racing (endurance mountain bike stuff 100 mile, 12 & 24 hour solo stuff) and I was able to get very lean for sure and my daily energy levels were pretty stable, but I did not have the snap on the bike like I do when I am on my normal high carb diet so I gave up on the keto thing. It just was not worth the effort (which was time consuming) for me.

I am just curious, certainly not knocking what your doing! Nutrition is something I am VERY interested in. You are abs correct that the problem is sugar not animal fat. But a lot of people dont understand that sugars are hidden in a lot of things that you may not realize: wheat pasta, breads (except sprouted grain bread like Ezekiel), crackers, etc really are not much different than a Twinkie as far as your body is concerned (during digestion). Same with fruit juice, you might as well just be drinking soda or an “energy drink” like Gatorade. Never mind alcohol, it is so bad in so many ways. Fruit is ok as long as it is eaten as you harvest it, the fructose does not spike insulin when it is still attached to the fiber of the fruit, but when it is “processed” it will: a whole apple is good to go, apple sauce is not as good, apple juice is bad.

That is just a very brief 30000’ view but you may get the point, there is so much to it. But basically it is all about controlling your insulin levels and preventing spikes. Insulin is what enables your body to convert glucose in your blood to fat when you do not need it to be used for energy. Glucose is what sugar is converted to for transport to your cells for energy. So when you consume sugar (in any form) but your activity level is low your body elevates it’s insulin level to store the sugar as fat, but insulin also creates inflammation which can lead to mobility issues and joint pain. However when your activity level is high (like when I am training and racing) your body uses the sugar for energy and no insulin is produced. Which is why I can consume straight sugar in a 2 to 1 glucose to fructose ratio at well over 100 grams per hour for as long as I want with no negative effects. I am working on pushing that amount higher (training my digestive system to handle that amount while at race pace) with out creating GI distress. Any way sugar is not bad when used properly but it will fucking kill you if it is not used properly. Your brain DEPENDS on glucose to function, glucose is the only thing your brain uses for fuel. Glucose is so important your body can create glucose from non-carbohydrates like protein via a process called gluconeogenesis. Your body and brain can function on Ketone bodies fairly well while at lowish levels of output but doing so will limit the highest level of output (think sprinting as opposed to a slow endurance run). So your body needs sugar but the right kind of sugar.

I love nutrition, your body is an amazing system and very adaptive. Sorry to ramble but your spot on about the lies we have been told for so many years.

One thing to note about animal fat and cholesterol is that when animal fat is combined with sugar (ice cream, or old school frosting which is lard and sugar are great examples) is very bad! It is too bad more people have not taken it on themselves to study how to properly maintain the most important asset they will ever have, their body.

pmclaine, congrats on the weight loss and good labs. From what I can see you diet is fairly solid for good health which is great! However are you measuring your ketone levels to determine if your in & staying in ketosis? It is actually pretty difficult (as in it takes consistent measurements for a while to determine how your body is reacting to the current diet, everyone is a little different) to stay in ketosis. It looks like you follow a ket-ish diet and if it is working for you that is all that matters, especially for everyday nutrition. I have tried the Ketosis thing (very strict diet and measuring) for my training & racing (endurance mountain bike stuff 100 mile, 12 & 24 hour solo stuff) and I was able to get very lean for sure and my daily energy levels were pretty stable, but I did not have the snap on the bike like I do when I am on my normal high carb diet so I gave up on the keto thing. It just was not worth the effort (which was time consuming) for me.

I am just curious, certainly not knocking what your doing! Nutrition is something I am VERY interested in. You are abs correct that the problem is sugar not animal fat. But a lot of people dont understand that sugars are hidden in a lot of things that you may not realize: wheat pasta, breads (except sprouted grain bread like Ezekiel), crackers, etc really are not much different than a Twinkie as far as your body is concerned (during digestion). Same with fruit juice, you might as well just be drinking soda or an “energy drink” like Gatorade. Never mind alcohol, it is so bad in so many ways. Fruit is ok as long as it is eaten as you harvest it, the fructose does not spike insulin when it is still attached to the fiber of the fruit, but when it is “processed” it will: a whole apple is good to go, apple sauce is not as good, apple juice is bad.

That is just a very brief 30000’ view but you may get the point, there is so much to it. But basically it is all about controlling your insulin levels and preventing spikes. Insulin is what enables your body to convert glucose in your blood to fat when you do not need it to be used for energy. Glucose is what sugar is converted to for transport to your cells for energy. So when you consume sugar (in any form) but your activity level is low your body elevates it’s insulin level to store the sugar as fat, but insulin also creates inflammation which can lead to mobility issues and joint pain. However when your activity level is high (like when I am training and racing) your body uses the sugar for energy and no insulin is produced. Which is why I can consume straight sugar in a 2 to 1 glucose to fructose ratio at well over 100 grams per hour for as long as I want with no negative effects. I am working on pushing that amount higher (training my digestive system to handle that amount while at race pace) with out creating GI distress. Any way sugar is not bad when used properly but it will fucking kill you if it is not used properly. Your brain DEPENDS on glucose to function, glucose is the only thing your brain uses for fuel. Glucose is so important your body can create glucose from non-carbohydrates like protein via a process called gluconeogenesis. Your body and brain can function on Ketone bodies fairly well while at lowish levels of output but doing so will limit the highest level of output (think sprinting as opposed to a slow endurance run). So your body needs sugar but the right kind of sugar.

I love nutrition, your body is an amazing system and very adaptive. Sorry to ramble but your spot on about the lies we have been told for so many years.

One thing to note about animal fat and cholesterol is that when animal fat is combined with sugar (ice cream, or old school frosting which is lard and sugar are great examples) is very bad! It is too bad more people have not taken it on themselves to study how to properly maintain the most important asset they will ever have, their body.

Excellent stuff....I need to read that a little closer when my daughter is not bothering me to check her homework.

I learned of this from a coworker. He told me he was on a new diet and I scoffed at him.

Than as he explained it to me I immediately knew it would work based on my daughter being type 1 diabetic.

I have a little familiarity with blood sugar levels and ketones.

Im avoiding the refined carbs and added sugars, accepting fiber as my only carb for the most part.

I read labels....if French dressing has 7 carbs of sugar I'll pass it over for an olive oil based Italian with 2 carbs 1 being added sugar.

Keto is not suitable for long duration excercise.

I kind of unknowingly did something similar early 2000s by going to a heavy greens diet with protein. I was swimming 3-4 hours a week and that calorie burn probably could have used some pasta support.

Understand some bike team tried to convert their races to actually ingesting ketones. They drank some gross kerosene like substance for energy. Think it was a failure as I think was so unnatural they couldn't stand it.

I've pissed on ketone sticks and showed a level of ketones but not enough to indicate ketosis.

Still without becoming a Ketone Monk I've realized good results.

Perhaps not being to crazy with the diet just avoiding the refined carbs I've been able to stick with it while everyone else has gone back to pizza.

Last edited:
Reactions: oneshot86
Just ate two choc chip cookies my son made for my birthday......there goes the carb count.

Yes you can buy exogenous ketones to help get you back into ketosis.

That stuff I wrote earlier was just what was off the top of my head, there is a lot more to it. But it’s a very interesting subject to study. There are a lot of different theories out there for nutrition but the best advice is to follow a basic set of rules (eat only whole foods, basically anything without a label is good to go) and then experiment to find the best fit for you. It really isn’t rocket surgery, common sense & paying attention to your body goes a long way.

The good ol low fat diet, or the adage of using fats sparingly, because they contribute to heart disease. Allopathic medicine hasn’t caught up to the reality that the food pyramid should be fucking turned upside down. Never ceases to amaze me though, especially when you have a nurse or medical assistant telling you how to eat.

Another fallacy is the low sodium diet. Unless you got CHF or renal failure, salt is minimally contributory to hypertension. The bane of our existence is sugar
Those pesky nurses.
probably queer.

And absolutely are uneducated sheep who cannot think for themselves, let alone learn anything outside of the usual BS thrown at them from western medicine ideas.

Did I mention queer? And commie.
Sure to shoot 6.5 Man Bun and Mils.

@pmclaine - great thread.
lots of good feedback and ideas in here.

Forget all that worthless plant food and go carnivore.

Reactions: tnichols

This is truth. Carbs and sugars used appropriately to supplement a diet made up mostly of protein and fat.

@pmclaine - my kiddo and I make an awesome Keto chocolate chip cookie.

we go full GF/SF and they are so darn good.
I recommend a strong French Roast pour over as a accompanying beverage.

Will send you the recipe

Reactions: pmclaine
Keto worked for me for a few months. Then I caved and had a potatoe, the Irish in me never let me go back. I still stay away from process carbs. Lots of people do keto wrong, and I think it’s a serious problem. Healthy fats are great but some people don’t understand the difference.

Yes you can buy exogenous ketones to help get you back into ketosis.

That stuff I wrote earlier was just what was off the top of my head, there is a lot more to it. But it’s a very interesting subject to study. There are a lot of different theories out there for nutrition but the best advice is to follow a basic set of rules (eat only whole foods, basically anything without a label is good to go) and then experiment to find the best fit for you. It really isn’t rocket surgery, common sense & paying attention to your body goes a long way.
if your talking about the powders. Some worked on me and some were waste of money. Ketones i think were total garbage. the stuff that is part of the pyramid scheme, i can't remember its name, did work surprisingly well in keeping me in ketosis. that said, when i fell out of Keto I fell hard. I really want to get back in it. I agree that we have been lied to for a longtime about what we eat. The movie The red pill ? i think that was the name was a great motivator. The funny thing when i was on keto i never had any acid reflux. Now, if i'm on my stomach at night for more than a few minutes it goes bad real quick. LOL.

I love it.
I’ve been nearly “carb free” for a couple years. I feel better, have a better attitude, clearer skin, and more energy. All the meat and veggies I can eat. Wife has come up with some great recipes and I don’t miss much. Eggs and fat all I want. Weight stays healthy no matter how much I eat on this regiment.

A proper diet for me after a long day out in the cold. Pork roast (fat), pork gravy (fat), mashed potatoes (carb/starch), and homegrown canned green beans (just for color). Stay active and you can eat like you’re 18.
C7CB33B3-622D-462B-926E-95AE605883C6.jpeg

A full scope of videos on this topic with explanation that makes sense. Also from my experience in US you have prime quality of beef and pork (compared to our China imported pork shit -> basically all pork in EU is China sourced with piglets once farting in Amsterdam(n) and they can label it EU based) even in Walmart let alone specialty stores. There is no fucking reason to eat industrial bread, potatoes or rice let alone consume poisons such as various cokes and drinks with 10% sugar in them (imagine homemade jam being around 30% sugar - or less and plain drink being 10 or more fucking insane -> try to eat entire jam glass then consider how easy it is to drink twice the amount of "sugared and artificially flavored water").

Also baking, frying and cooking with (healthy) animal fat is much better than using various types of vegetable oils..

A proper diet for me after a long day out in the cold. Pork roast (fat), pork gravy (fat), mashed potatoes (carb/starch), and homegrown canned green beans (just for color). Stay active and you can eat like you’re 18.
View attachment 7540087
Ha, the day before you had that great looking plate, I had one identical. Came off the logpile and carol filled my belly good

@sharac I don't consider our pork to be all that good, but I've not had china raised pork to compare it to. It's bred and fed to have as little flavor as possible. Better pork is available (not at grocery stores - not around me anyway), but pretty expensive.

Keto, Atkins, Calorie Counting, Jenny Craig...

Don't eat manufactured shit and exercise a few times a week. You won't be Arnold unless you try but you will be healthy.

If a human had to invent it and call it food, it's likely not actually good for you at all.

How does that turn out? Any "after" pics? We have an air fryer and about all I've ever used it for is tater fries.
Air fryers are surprisingly awesome. My wife uses them for a lot of things -- meatballs, chicken, cauliflower. Everything turns out great and it doesn't heat the place up in summer.

@sharac I don't consider our pork to be all that good, but I've not had china raised pork to compare it to. It's bred and fed to have as little flavor as possible. Better pork is available (not at grocery stores - not around me anyway), but pretty expensive.
True. Good pork has become a real hipster delicacy. In the areas where people eat pork because it is affordable, it is generally crappy.

Had to come back to this because it is packed with goodness.

When I started eating no carb/high fat I was initially scared.

I thought my labs would spike.

I see what I am doing as an "all or nothing" prospect for the most part with grave danger and absolute opposite results if you cheat yourself.

I mean this in regards to the fact our bodies are lazy. They would much rather use the easy energy source - carbs.

Forcing your body to use what is typically its "reserve fuel" goes against its survival instinct.

I tell family members if you are going to do it you have to cut carbs to the point where your body says "Fuck we are not getting enough fuel, flip to the survival reactor."

I wont take "just one nacho" because it looks and is tasty. When the warm bread comes to the dinner table I can smell that good smell and I want that "just one slice" but I know if i do my metabolism and fuel control is going to say "Ah he is eating carbs, shut down the reactor until an emergency comes along, store the fat, slow the fuel burn until we get adequate easy to burn carbs"

You will cause your body to store fat.

I dont have the nutritionists training to prove that but I think that will happen and its why I avoid the sugar to the extent of not taking that small bite of warm bread.

I know Im going to get hidden carbs so I avoid the in your face ones as much as possible.

I think I have my furnace burning well. One noticeable change is the amount of heat I generate during sleep. I can wake up in a full flop sweat - kind of gross especially for my wife - but those sleep calories burned are important. Everyone thinks its the 15 minute walk they took that burned the 1.5 pound burger away but reality is your bod burns a lot of calories during sleep.

My most restful nights are usually the sweatiest....I have no idea what Im dreaming of most of the time but Im doing some great stuff while unconscious.

I buy a hog every year from these guys sorta local to me in the St. Louis area.

Vastly superior to anything you can buy in the supermarket or meat market. I'm totally not into the whole organic thing or afraid of GMO or any shit like that. I am 100% into taste, and this pork is incredibly tasty! Pigs (domestic) are actually very clean depending on how you keep them...

Reactions: jbell
And a lot depends on your body. My wife is type 2 diabetic, this is something that developed as she got older, and finally had to go on metformin to control it. She does a lot of research, and started a keto diet as well as wearing a Dexcom monitor the past year and a half. This allowed her to know exactly what happens to her blood sugar level after anything she eats. She is no longer on metformin, she has lost quite a bit of weight, and all her vitals are now well into the normal range. Normal meals are a meat and a veggie, and that has to be carefully chosen (no root vegetables, they are too high in carbs). Exercise is part of the program, as the monitoring has shown a direct correlation of lowering her BSL after a meal.
I also started eating her diet, at least an about 85% level since I don't have an insulin control issue. I have a history of high triglycerides, as well as cholesterol and HDL/LDL levels that were off "a bit". After being on the diet for a year, everything looked great. Then I fell off the wagon about 6 months ago, and my latest tests showed my triglycerides back up. Unless you are testing, you don't really know how it's affecting you beyond how you "feel". And no, your body will not "adapt" to any diet, you need to adapt your diet to your body. And get off your ass LOL

Had to come back to this because it is packed with goodness.

When I started eating no carb/high fat I was initially scared.

I thought my labs would spike.

I see what I am doing as an "all or nothing" prospect for the most part with grave danger and absolute opposite results if you cheat yourself.

I mean this in regards to the fact our bodies are lazy. They would much rather use the easy energy source - carbs.

Forcing your body to use what is typically its "reserve fuel" goes against its survival instinct.

I tell family members if you are going to do it you have to cut carbs to the point where your body says "Fuck we are not getting enough fuel, flip to the survival reactor."

I wont take "just one nacho" because it looks and is tasty. When the warm bread comes to the dinner table I can smell that good smell and I want that "just one slice" but I know if i do my metabolism and fuel control is going to say "Ah he is eating carbs, shut down the reactor until an emergency comes along, store the fat, slow the fuel burn until we get adequate easy to burn carbs"

You will cause your body to store fat.

I dont have the nutritionists training to prove that but I think that will happen and its why I avoid the sugar to the extent of not taking that small bite of warm bread.

I know Im going to get hidden carbs so I avoid the in your face ones as much as possible.

I think I have my furnace burning well. One noticeable change is the amount of heat I generate during sleep. I can wake up in a full flop sweat - kind of gross especially for my wife - but those sleep calories burned are important. Everyone thinks its the 15 minute walk they took that burned the 1.5 pound burger away but reality is your bod burns a lot of calories during sleep.

My most restful nights are usually the sweatiest....I have no idea what Im dreaming of most of the time but Im doing some great stuff while unconscious.
With this approach you will have excellent results, however be aware it's a difficult path to stay on. Its not impossible, just difficult. Stay diligent it will pay off. We only have 1 meat vehicle so take as good care of it as you can.

How does that turn out? Any "after" pics? We have an air fryer and about all I've ever used it for is tater fries.

Works great. After pics above.

Little to clean after.

I start 320 degree at 20 minutes than follow up with two ten minute sessions.

Salt, pepper, oregano seasoning or last night we did some weber garlic salt combo.

and olive oil, put some O oil love on and shake it up with the seasonings.

Last edited:
With this approach you will have excellent results, however be aware it's a difficult path to stay on. Its not impossible, just difficult. Stay diligent it will pay off. We only have 1 meat vehicle so take as good care of it as you can.

Im finding it pretty easy but Im not "measuring".

I go out to eat and a meal has taters on the side I ask for and can usually get a green instead.

Instead of keto I call it "Dont eat shit, you wont be shit"

and not all carbs are bad.

In your "endurance" activities you need that fuel that will act like water injected into the heads to give you snap.

A 9 hour hike in the Whites requires some boost to supplement the fat burn. A corn syrup filled "health bar" is not the answer but an apple, grapes, perhaps an orange is the shizzle.

Years ago my doctor wanted me to go on blood thinners because my blood pressure was high and I was fat. Instead we tried the typical high carb low fat BS diet. A year later when it was still high and I was still fat were still pushing the blood thinners that lead to several other medications that I refused. My brother found this book and I started doing the opposite of what I was told my blood pressure is normal and I am not that fat now, I gotta lay off the coke though... the drink

91rcS8iIJxL.jpg

Reactions: The D

I go out to eat and a meal has taters on the side I ask for and can usually get a green instead.

In your "endurance" activities you need that fuel that will act like water injected into the heads to give you snap.

A 9 hour hike in the Whites requires some boost to supplement the fat burn. A corn syrup filled "health bar" is not the answer but an apple, grapes, perhaps an orange is the shizzle.
Carbs are just as important for lifting heavy as they are for running or biking. Your muscles need them for energy stores.

Reactions: BLEE and jbell

One cool thing regarding nutrition vs activity you can separate your "daily nutrition" (which is what you have been describing) and "training/race nutrition". They can and should be completely separate (once your no longer trying to change body composition / lose weight). Meaning while your training at a high level for anything over 1 hour and your body composition is good you can eat the "shit" with no ill effect.

Reactions: pmclaine
I am not strict Keto but pretty close... no sugary stuff, no process bread / carbs

Mostly meat, cheese, dairy, veggies that grow above ground, nut, some berries. I am done a total of 50-60 lbs over 2 years and feel better than ever. No crash in the afternoon, no food coma, no headaches.

I'll have a treat now and again but over all just switched to real food and it's made a big difference.

Reactions: Samuel Whittemore