• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Weapon light for ddm4v1?

hypno02

Not Politically Correct
Banned !
Minuteman
Jul 23, 2006
South Dakota
Hey guys,

I'm on a search for a weapon light for my .556 ddm4v1. It'll be used for 80% home defense and 20% critter killin and night shoots. Through my searches it seems as if the surefire 300ultra is the ticket for this rifle as I can mount it in front of the fsp, which will allow for easy switch manipulation with the way I grip the foreend using the afg. So my questions to you fellas are;

1. What would you guys deem the "effective range" to be on the 300u? (Let's say I'm shooting a full size IPSC.
2. What other options should I consider that aren't too ridiculously expensive?
3. Is the 12 o'clock position in front of the fsp my best mounting option?
4. Should/do I need to utilize a pressure switch? I'm leaning towards no as of now...So please talk me into one.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Rifle pictured is the rifle the light will be going on.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    355.6 KB · Views: 24
That would be a good light for your application. The X300Ultra should get you out to 100 plus yards if you are shooting at IPSC plates. The 12 o'clock position for that light is your best option. It uses a plastic rail mount because it is designed for pistols so at the 12 it is the safest position for the light while also being the easiest to manipulate. I wouldn't get the XT-07 switch for it just run it like that. The one thing though is if you go with this light you need to switch the plates and install the picatinny plate. Use a drop of Loctite on the 6 screws and then you will be fine.

Thanks a lot Chuck. Appreciate it. Couple more questions:

- I've read in my research that sometimes the back plate on the x300U has broken or failed when not protected by say a FSP of pistol trigger guard. How durable are the x300's compared to say a M600?
- Does the picatinny plate come with the light?

Thanks again

My x300 came with all the different adapters. We're talking about Surefire here people. 12 o'clock is the best for least shadowing and flashback. No pressure switch is necessary as long as you shoot with your arm out there already. I have no idea about the effective range. Last thing to add is that Surefire is definitely the way to go whatever the model

slighty ott, but not really, is what lumens do you recommend? I am also looking at a weaponlight, and I cant decide to get the 300u which is 500 lumens, or the smaller and lighter 200 lumen version.

The X300Ultra uses a plastic rail mount and the M600Ultra uses and metal mount so the scout has a much stronger mount. If you mount it at the 12 position though there is not a huge risk of shearing it off on barricades or door jams. With what you are using it for I don't see there being a huge risk of sheering anything or breaking anything though.

200 lumens is enough for most applications. I run the mini scout on most of my SBR's and if I am going to shoot at night I use the 500 lumens to get more throw and more flood. Just depends on your needs. If it is going on a house gun I would recommend the 200 lumens if you have some property like myself you might want to go with the 500 lumens.

I have the primary arms ultimate weapon light . I can light it up for almost 200 yds across the field behind my house . its kind of big and would not be the best for in the house , you would blind yourself with the reflection off the walls but outside its pretty nice .

If you are planning on hunting at night I do not see where you can get red or green lights that the varmints can't see on any of the lights mentioned above except the Wicked Light. The wicked Light is the only one that I see that comes with a quick detach mount. It can be mounted on any Picatinny rail also not just on top of your scope. The distance of the red at full power is out to 200 yds. The green has a longer range, but if it is cold out it doesn't work as well as the red. The white has the longest distance, but the varmints shy away from it. I changed my scope rings to Nikons so the Wicked Light will mount on top of my scope or on my Picatinny rail. Other hunters say that mounting it on top of the scope eliminates reflected light that comes back into your scope.

PS: I have read that all the different manufactures have problems with the on-off push buttons and suggest that you use the stick on tape switch exclusively.

Attachments

• AR mounted Wiched Light .jpg
    AR mounted Wiched Light .jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 20
  • M4 new rings .JPG
    M4 new rings .JPG
    302.7 KB · Views: 23
  • DISTANCE OF LIGHT .png
    DISTANCE OF LIGHT .png
    23.8 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Another vote for 12 o'clock Surefire X series. The combo is like they were meant for each other on the DD FSP cut handguard, which is an answer to the Knight's MRE that was developed for a particular end-user group.

I thought I was going to be the only one recommending a forward of FSP 12 o'clock solution, but it looks like there is some sound advice already in this thread, so I'm out.

I like to grab surefire parts and build my own. I can't think of a better way to go. I think I spent $140 all together with the tailcap and switch being $70 of that on this one. Used M952 body and head. Throwing 1000 lumens down range, replaced the reflector and glass lens with a nice aspheric lens to condense and magnify the beam. Used a quad die led (MC-E) being driven at 1.3A.

I didn't realize half that one pic was my little girl. Oops....
Just a quick note on that beamshot, I've been able to get these lights to throw about 400-450 yards. This one lights up anything well enough to see detail at around 300 yards...

I forgot about the unity tactical EXO. From what I've read that's a must for this light. Gonna have to pick one of those up as well.

I have the X300 Ultra and the momentary / on off tape switch and also use a Magpul AFG. I used to run a CAA vertical grip / light holder with a 700 lumen Powertac / Olight on my patrol rifle. I wanted to lighten up and reduce the lumens. You can light things up with the higher lumens, but it kills your natural night vision and it will wash out the reticle on your Eotech / Aimpoint ect. Going from having farm country to clearing a house or building ect. I needed a happy medium and I feel this light gives me that. But like anything else Surefire its pricey. I have also wondered about the plastic rails but figured Surefire's customer service would take care of any issues, Chris thanks for posting the EXO I was unaware that existed. Will it accomdate the remote / tape switch cap that replaces the standard end cap?

I have the X300 ultra and I have shown it against a white wall from pitch black and it does not hurt your night vision. I have practiced clearing my house and it turns everything into daylight. Outside I have lit up a tree line at 200 yards. Just make sure you have some extra batteries in stock because of the battery life is 1.5hrs. The beam will get noticeably dimmer at about 20% battery life. Now if only I could find a company to make a holster for that light attached to my FNX-45T.