• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Well G96 Conversion with a twist! Fixed Pictures

charlie_atlas

Private
Minuteman
Jul 16, 2012
West, Tennessee
Sorry Im jacking the rimfire section but didnt figure anyone in the bolt gun section cared. I also knew that there is alot of airsoft conversions going on here. Here is my take on it.. No its not a .22 but it is a WELL G96 stock with a Marlin x7vh 308 in it. I will do a write up on it in a few days.. but here are you guys some pictures to look at.

And for the comments that it wont be strong enough.. I have sleeved the inside of the aluminum stock with 1" square tube.

IMAG0761.jpg

IMAG0785.jpg

IMAG0765.jpg

IMAG0768.jpg

IMAG0769.jpg

IMAG0789.jpg

IMAG0783.jpg

IMAG0790.jpg

Oh and the trigger is missing because during the build the gun fell and it broke the trigger .. It is being fixed at a local shop. So no test shots yet.

Re: Well G96 Conversion with a twist!

nice conversion

i looked at the pictures before i read your post.
i was wonder why the bullet was so big. im curious if it will hold up with the 308 round? do a video too.

I will do some videos of it after I get the trigger back but with the 1" Steel tubing, bedding, and the steel pillers Im pretty sure it will hold up. Just incase I will be shooting the first 20 rounds with a string then pull it all apart for inspection.

definently strap that thing down when you do your test shots or at least set the gun on the ground not a table so it won't fall over and have to go back to the gunsmith. Good looking conversion though

although you think it may be strong enough, please take every precaution you can think of. i was thinking that mine may be strong enough for a .204, .223, maybe a .243, perhaps the .308 is pushing it a little.

if it works out PLEASE let us know. betcha the the guys in the bolt action section will take notice then...and you'll be a hero for saving someone (me and others) 500.00 on a real AICS to drop a centerfire in. especially with models like the X7 that has very little or no aftermarket support.

just be careful man, using the string is a darn good idea. you may also want to be standing behind something substantial in the event that aluminum and or plastic skins fracture.

just by looking at your recoil lug, and just thinking aloud, you think it'll stay put from hopping left and right? if that marlin has 2 action mounting bolts, it should keep it put, but please think about the "very action has a reaction" rule. though the recoil will keep it going backward, there's nothing on the sides of the lug to keep it contained from a lateral movement. maybe something to think about.

also on mine where the rear stock connects to the main chassis, the mounting screws where kinda cheezy, did you happen to replace those with better quality ones? i'd be a bit concerned with them shearing off due to the recoil. maybe pinning it in place might be a good idea before you fire it.

i don't think (FWIW) that your jacking the rimfire section, if anything it'll prove that if the the stock strong enough for Cfire, it's more than good enough for RFire use too, even the folder model. plus not knocking your experiment with those questions above, just worried about your safety and the stocks success after a few tweeks that i don't know if you had considered.

plus we may get a BSA tactical 6-24 from midway review out of it too! i had one of those for a few days, but never mounted or tested on the range as a deal to good to pass up came along and i had to return the BSA to afford the deal. seemed pretty clear and nice for 150.00.

i wish you the best results with it, can't wait to see how it turns out.

one more thing, PLEASE dont try it with the bipod attached to the rail thingie. i think that's asking for a catastrophic failure to happen.

Thanks for the intrest TOP PREDATOR and to answer a few questions...

I know in the pictures it looks like I cut a few slots in the aluminum and bolted it in. I was just tring to get some pictures up for you guys to check out (was excited I got it done I guess) but I was not even going to think about using only that factory aluminum. I sleeved it all with 1" square steel stock and double sleeved it at the recoil lug. As for the action screws.. It has 2 and I double pillered them also with steel tube. The pillers for the action screws go through the aluminum and steel. The screws that hold it all together have been replaced with stainless steel ones. My biggest concern is the folder section.. I broke it all down and tightened it up every way possible but I guess the shots will tell the whole story. So hopefully I will have the trigger back tomorrow and get to the shooting..

Oh.. and the scope is a BSA 8-32X44..

sweet, just on a side note, BSA supposedly doesn't use their warranty program on the 8-32 as they are some sort of knockoff counterfeit from china. (rather than the original from china!
laugh.gif
). at least that's what their customer service told me.

i looked into that scope alot as it seems to be quite a value. the only one they say is real and will support warranty is the midway one, which gets great reviews...

just be careful with the rear section. if you get the time, it can be pinned pretty easily, drill holes, push a nail through (or an actual tension pin) trim nail or pin and your done.

i don't know how much you broke the rear section down, there's a right angle at the butt pad too that may get F'd up with the recoil.

the sleeve is a good idea.

the rear broken apart you can see all the cheezy hardware that's underneath. theres the 4 or 6 screws that come out of the main chassis into the 1/2 of the hinge, then only the 2 screws that go to the other half of the hinge to the long section of the butt square tubing, then only 2 screws that make the right angle to go to the butt pad:

AICSEXPLODEDVIEW.jpg

AICSHINGE.jpg

it may work as is but, perhaps another hour putting in a pin or 3 will help.

it'll suck if the main section you beefed up survives, but everything else breaks - then your back to square one. i've had enough homer simpson moments (doooh!) to try to eliminate those weak links!

remember there are only 4 cheezy screws total that keep the butt section together....good enough for rimfire, but i'm thinking that they will sheer off with a recoiling centerfire.

i think that even the original aluminum would be tough enough to handle a Cfire, just the attaching hardware that needs the upgrade. still though less than 5.00 of hardware may save 500.00 on an original AICS.

i really hope this works out.

ok, charlie_atlas has a project going on dropping a .308 into an airsoft G96 stock. through some PMing, it seems the preliminary result he has is good.

a question for anyone that did the conversion on their rimfires with the G96 <span style="font-weight: bold">AND</span> has a real AICS centerfire...

will / does the actual AI style mags fit / operate in the G96 airsoft stock?

Ok as promised I got out and did some shooting. She is 40 rounds in and still holding strong. When I get home I will do the break down and photo process of the internals.. But like many others you get excited with theses projects and the camera gets left on the table. Here are some quick teasers I put together

Oh and as Top Predator stated .. the scope is "china copy junk" So these test with be updated when a new scope gets here.

IMAG0801.jpg

IMAG0803.jpg

The shots with the X on them are where I was trying to get the scope adjusted and after getting pissed off at it I shot the second group with POA at the middl red dot and let them hit where they hit. 100Yrds By the way

IMAG0804.jpg

Here is a teaser of the inside bedding.

IMAG0793.jpg

Anyone have a connection to locate a G&G or Well stock?

I've looked at current Well 96 stocks and their crap...no mag well, not 2pc with inner frame etc.

awesome.

any cracks in the stock?

i wonder if your .308 will hold up in my full metal M200 Cheytac stock

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: defcon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">awesome.

any cracks in the stock?

i wonder if your .308 will hold up in my full metal M200 Cheytac stock </div></div>

No cracks at all. I thought the rear bedding might crack a little after some use but with 50 rounds shot everything is looking good. As far as your stock holding up. I have no experience with that model but have seen pictures and for the price they go for I would say with a little work it could be possible. You get what you pay for with the airsoft guns.