• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Went coyote hunting and ended up in a RODEO! w/pics

bbear

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 18, 2011
South Dakota USA
So last week I realize the coyotes are rubbing, the turkeys are gobbling and the warm weather is on the way. I'ts time to give the yotes a rest til next season...after I get one more good solo mission in that is! There was a weather front rolling in and I knew the dogs were going to be up moving around so my timing couldn't have been better. On the second set of the day is where the "rodeo" part comes in. I let out a few invitation howls and within seconds I have 3 packs howling back all within a mile. I continue with some more coyote vocalizations and not long after I notice movement at 600 yards. I get the glasses up and boom, there they are. 6 of them.
Snapshot13-10-20135-20PM_zpse13eb86a.png

Here's a good shot
Snapshot23-10-20135-27PM_zps47b9c5a3.png

So it's 6 on 1 and I figure I need to take this as slow as I possibly can, i decide to go quiet and let them work their way in on their own. When they hang up at 400 I let out a few lip squeaks and that was all it took, here they came. 5 of the six are doing exactly what I want them to but unfortunately that ONE dog decides to start circling. I look to my right and the circling dog is closing in on my wind and she forces my hand, i decide to zip one of the 4 standing in front of me at 120. Now I've got dogs running in all directions and when one stops for a second in all the confusion I take him out at 75 yds. After that shot it was pretty much game over. I did get one more shot at 425 but sailed it over his back. After the dust settled I was happy to be able to get 2 with one kill shot on video. In the bottom right corner of the pic you'll see the circling dog. Look hard she's wearing a set of nature's camo.
Snapshot13-10-20135-40PM_zps395e966d.png

the kill shot
Snapshot23-10-20135-45PM_zps1a13e042.png

A couple sets later I called in a double and got a good kill on the female but unfortunately made a marginal shot on the male as he was leaving the country. I tracked him for almost a half mile when he made it to a thick stand of timber where I lost him. Food for the birds and skunks I guess. Second to last set of the day I called in a big male and dumped him inside 50 yards for what will probably be the final kill of the season.....maybe. Thanks for the read boys hopefully I was able to entertain you for a minute.

The days kill
DSC00315_zps8db39c78.jpg

At least you got three. Must be nice to have a can. I'm still waiting for mine to be processed.

Yeah we did, 6-8" is what i heard. A little medicine for our scorched priarie's.

Last edited:
That is phenomenal! I wish I was over there with my XF305 for that action... for sure we will get tons of LR trigger time in this summer, keep our skills honed for next season... BTW, I'm going with you guys to get some elk footage this year.

That is phenomenal! I wish I was over there with my XF305 for that action... for sure we will get tons of LR trigger time in this summer, keep our skills honed for next season... BTW, I'm going with you guys to get some elk footage this year.

Yes on all of this!

those dogs look pretty good compared to the last couple we ended our season with...nice work bear.

They look good but of the 12 I killed since Feb. 23, the buyer would only take 4 of them...all the rest were rubbed. It's hard to tell in the pics but only one of these dogs sold.