• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Went to the range today

cookie91/38

Private
Minuteman
Sep 15, 2013
murrieta, California
Hey guys,

Today I got to take my one and only "precision" rifle to the range. Its a Remington SPS Tactical in .308. I have a SWFA 10X42 mounted on top. All shooting was done at 100 yards. There was a good amount of wind. The range officer said it was about 20MPH. I definitely did not get as good as groupings as I have before with this rifle. Can I blame that on the wind? I got a lot of 1MOA groups with some sub MOA's.I shot exactly 60 rounds. I also noticed I still have a little flinch when firing. I hate how the MarkX trigger travels and breaks, and plan on getting a Timney. Also, shooting off sandbags the rifles tends to jump every shot. Is this normal? Its a good enough jump to knock the scope out of my vision.

Thanks, Evan

You may need to work on better controlling the rifle. I have a 700 300 win mag that has more recoil than your 308 and I don't have a problem with it jumping. As far as the trigger goes it's just fine for what it is.

If you don't have a recoil management device on the front of your rifle.. (brake, supressor, ect), and without the proper technique, then yeah expect a rifle jump... at 100 yards the bullet hits so soon that unless you stay on scope you won't have much chance to see a hit. With my brakeless 700 SPS off of a bipod I normally couldn't see my hits until about 400 yards out, but I also had the old trigger that was set at a 8+ pound pull. So it was more flinching from my trigger pull combined with the recoil. What ammunition were you shooting with?

If you don't have a recoil management device on the front of your rifle.. (brake, supressor, ect), and without the proper technique, then yeah expect a rifle jump... at 100 yards the bullet hits so soon that unless you stay on scope you won't have much chance to see a hit. With my brakeless 700 SPS off of a bipod I normally couldn't see my hits until about 400 yards out, but I also had the old trigger that was set at a 8+ pound pull. So it was more flinching from my trigger pull combined with the recoil. What ammunition were you shooting with?

Federal M80C 149GR. So what can I do technique wise to help the jump?

1MOA is fine honestly with that load with that wind, idk why you would be against groups of that.

just really depends how you shoot, I mean it's all about a comfortable position. When you say sandbags, just how are you set up?

The wind is always a factor... everything really is a factor... if it's a crosswind it will drift left/right, if it's a wind that blows toward/away from you, it can change heights and also bring it left/right

If you are having a problem flinching get back out to the range and have a buddy or someone chamber a live cartridge or an empty case while you have your eyes closed. Once the round is chambered you make your shot. You will notice your flinch very easily when you pull the trigger unexpectedly get no boom. I would do this for a good couple rounds. Also something may help and something I do every time I go to the range. Before shooting a single shot I will dry fire a good couple time to make sure my trigger control is there, I am following through and my position doesn't change. Once you feel comfortable with all this then it is time to shoot live rounds.
One more thing, dry fire, dry fire, dry fire and then do it some more. This will also help workout that flinch. Make sure your fundamentals are solid and it will begin to show in your groups and shooting in general.