• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Western Decadence Incarnate

Switchblade

muf kin poser
Minuteman
As 'Westerners' we have many times been called the most decadent group of people on the planet. Today it will be celebrated with one of these:

BWTL.jpg

A Bacon Wrapped Beef Tenderloin(18" baby!), grilled to perfection, served with Roast Red Potatoes, Golden and Purple Cauliflour, with one of Northern California's unfiltered Zinfandel's. Desert will be mixed berries over Home churned French Vanilla Custard Ice Cream on Home made Shortcake and followed with a La Flor Dominicana El Musio cigar and Mither's US*1 Small Batch Bourbon.
Truly Western Decadence incarnate

You know the finished pictures, plate and drink photos are coming up later on or tomorrow as time permits.

Live Well Ladies!

Re: Western Decadence Incarnate

This is almost worthy of the Hot Girlfriends thread. A video of the bacon-wrapping process would be greatly appreciated as this is my preferred method for cooking deer tenderloin.

Truly a work of art.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Switchblade</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Desert will be mixed berries over Home churned French Vanilla Custard Ice Cream on Home made Shortcake </div></div>

Might need that recipe for the icy cream desert.....

The bacon weave is easy:

lay strips parralell in five or six rows, two strips long overlapping the center. Now lay a strip across the end. Flip every other end over the strip. Now fold every other strip back so you can lay the next one. Fold them over, and fold back the opposite strips for the next cross strip

Blog site with a few pics on weaving bacon

http://travthebutcher.blogspot.com/2008/01/honk-if-you-love-bacon.html

Occasion is I have a very good friend visiting. RJW had a business meeting nearby so we invited him to stop by for a few days for some hospitality in the new digs. We decided that since we have been busting ass on all kinds of work around here to take a little time to enjoy life to it's fullest.

Recipe for French Vanilla Custard Ice Cream and Vanilla Sugar

Ingredients
2 cups half-and-half
2 cups heavy cream
8 large egg yolks
9 ounces vanilla sugar*
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
Directions
Place the half-and-half and the heavy cream into a medium saucepan, over medium heat. Bring the mixture just to a simmer, stirring occasionally, and remove from the heat.

In a medium mixing bowl whisk the egg yolks until they lighten in color. Gradually add the sugar and whisk to combine. Temper the cream mixture into the eggs and sugar by gradually adding small amounts, until about a third of the cream mixture has been added. Pour in the remainder and return the entire mixture to the saucepan and place over low heat. Continue to cook, stirring frequently, until the mixture thickens slightly and coats the back of a spoon and reaches 170F. Pour the mixture into a container and allow to sit in an ice bath for 30 minutes. Stir in the vanilla extract. Place the mixture into the refrigerator and once it is cool enough not to form condensation on the lid, cover and store for 4 to 8 hours or until the temperature reaches 40F or below.

Pour into an ice cream maker and process according to the manufacturer's directions. This should take approximately 25 to 90 minutes. Serve as is for soft serve or freeze for another 1 to 4 hours to allow the ice cream to harden.

Vanilla Sugar
4 cups Sugar
2 Vanilla Beans

Open Vanilla Beans and place in sugar. Rub sugar inside of husk to remove the small vanilla seeds. Let sit for two weeks before using

Short Cut: After you rub the seeds out of the bean, remove the husk and stir the sugar/vanilla ben mix with a wire whip for 20 minutes to infuse the sugar by force. Not as strong as waiting two to three weeks, but will work

Mixed Berries
2C Starwberries
1C Blueberries
1C Blackberries

rinse and drain all berries, then slice the strawberries over the others into a bowl. Add a wee pinch of salt and about 2T - 3T Raw Turbinado Organic Sugar

Short Cakes are basically biscuits with lots of extra sugar. We use the recipe in Pillsbury's Best Cook Book or this one works too by Alton Brown. Only difference is mine uses buttermilk

Shortcake
Ingredients
2 cups flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons shortening
3/4 cup half and half
Melted butter to brush shortcakes
Berries
Ice cream or whipped cream
Directions
Heat oven 450 degrees.

In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. Cut in butter and shortening. Mix in half-and-half. Drop by large spoonfuls onto a baking sheet. Brush with melted butter and sprinkle with sugar. Bake for 15 minutes or until brown. Cool and eat with berries, ice cream and/or whipped cream.

Hmmmm, wonder if I can get there before it comes off of the grill?

AHhhhhhh, food was good, LFD El Musio cigars were outstanding, and the Mitcher's was on point.

Now for the AAR on the Bacon Wrapped Tenderloin and grilling it.
This puppy needs to be foil wrapped or the bacon comes undone. Something I didn't think about until it was too late. In a move to resue flavor for the cooking process, I tried to re wrap as much as I could and slow cook in the smoker box to medium rare. With that said, here is what it looked like after it came out...not too good, but man it was tasty!

102_4077.jpg

On the plate with the roasted pototoes, and cauliflour and Plungerhead Zinfandel it was superb!

102_4078.jpg

Someone said the new cauliflour was decorative only and would turn white upon cooking. I couldn't convince anyone that the yellow one was grown with cheese in it either
grin.gif

Having a good friend to sit with and enjoy a few good cigars was top notch!

HOLY CRAP! That looks absolutely outfuckingstanding.
Did you start off direct grilling? How long was it on the grill before you moved it to the smoker? Did you foil wrap it before putting it on the smoker to keep the bacon closely attached?

Where do you find colored cauliflower? My kids might actually be coerced into eating that.

Thanks

We need a 'Hide cooking section!!

Outstanding Switch!!

I learned AFTER putting it on the grill that I should have wrapped it in foil FIRST so this one was a learning experience.
When I do this again I will wrap the entire thing in foil after the bacon wrap to hold the bacon on right.
The bacon takes a while to cook so it has to have something to hold it on right.

As to cooking though, It went on the grill for a good searing at 4 minutes per side, then into the smoker box for about an hour or so, then back on the grill for 3 minutes each side then onto the board to rest for 10 minutes.

This little project took an entire Beef Tenderloin - $43
and about 2 1/3 of the two pack Wright's Bacon(Sam's Club) - $14

The cauliflour has been at Kroger for about a week now. My boys love their veggies so this just made it more fun to eat anyway. No taste difference either.

Next time, decadence goes all out with an 8 layer Guinness Chocolate Cake

Even with the Medusa effect, that bacon wrapped tenderloin is amazing!

I can't wait to try it with a pork tenderloin, which tends to get a little dry.

Make sure to wrap it in foil qq. The time it takes to fully cook to medium well(pork) will allow for a nice robusto or toro and a little beverage to go with it. Of course you will season the loin, then the bacon for a little extra flavor. Remember that the seasoning on the bacon goes light on the salt.

In foil, the foil should protect really well from direct heat, but insure your charcoal is divided into two piles to leave an empty center under your wrapped vittles. This allows for a hot indirect cooking method in the fire box that will cook both the bacon and the meat.
The best part about using bacon is not only the flavor but the excess fat gives all meat such a wonderfully decadent taste.
Shoot, even a devout Muslim would love this on a blind taste test!
grin.gif

resturant wharehouse sometimes here in Dallas got half price bacon......i'm just sayin

but ya gotta buy 30lbs of it

30 lbs of bacon is just about right for Switch's youngest son. He is the Baconater.

Too bad I didn't think about bacon wrapping this pork butt that has Red Alea on it today
grin.gif

Mmmmmmm, gonna make some fine assed Enchiladas, Kahlua Pork and Cabbage, maybe some Lau lau, oh man I can't wait!

250* and just hanging out in foil letting that HAwaiian Red Alea do it's thing right now

We gotta get a SH convention set up, with Switch in charge of the grub and Shank in charge of the entertainment.

I'd happily volunteer to do food prep for the Chef but I firmly believe Shankster's itinerary would need to be cleared in advance if the meals are to be kept down by the attendees.

Looks like I should have stayed a couple days longer....

My attempt, thanks to you Switch & Queequeg. Pork loin wrapped in bacon (couldn't do the basket weave) and then sealed in foil. One hour on the Weber over a single chimney's worth of charcoal. Unwrapped and placed in a grilling basket for two flips. Coated in sauce and tender as hell. Sided by Irish potatoes and stir fry green beans. Great way to spend a Saturday evening.

IMG_0344-1.jpg

Damn fine looking just the same sir. Must be a Louisiana thing!

My first attempt was surprisingly good, probably due to the tutorial from Switchblade and the link to the bacon crochet site!
laugh.gif

Best tenderloin I've ever had and I'll damn sure do it again.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Switchblade</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
BWTL.jpg

</div></div>

That is quite possibly the most beautiful thing I've ever seen.

Switchblade, You have inspired me.
I'm going to try that this weekend with a venison loin I've been looking forward to preparing. Did you use regular or "thick sliced" bacon?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WPG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We need a 'Hide cooking section!!

Outstanding Switch!! </div></div>

+1. If not an entire forum, then at least a "Favorite Recipes" thread.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Semour Gunz</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WPG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We need a 'Hide cooking section!!

Outstanding Switch!! </div></div>

+1. If not an entire forum, then at least a "Favorite Recipes" thread.</div></div>

Not here, but I know where there is one. And oh man, are there some Gem's in there.

anyone got a napkin for the drool running down my chin, god damn that looks delicious. I think I know what I am cooking for dinner this saturday

Had an old timer in Alaska cook me up something liek that, minus the bacon, in a camp fire - t hat was one of the most hell delicious meals I ever had.

Pork Loin, BBQ Sauce, potatoes, wrapped in foil and put in the fire pit...

Looks good..

Pretty cool blog there Mrs. RJW! Me and Mrs. Q will be checking that one out.

And no B.S., the Pork tenderloin wrapped thusly was the best use of a pork tenderloin I've ever experienced, Especially given that here in Tampa, pork is a widely used commodity and not a trivial one!

James, I think a cook book using your particular idiom would sell very well.

The whole Soldier, ass kicker, biker, Cigar master and general Renaissance-Man-Chef angle would appeal to a larger audience than you may dare to believe.

Excellent! Ours too was the pork tenderloins (2 of them) and it was great. The leftovers were fantastic, 4 ways from Sunday.

Good to see the advancement there James. Pretty soon, you're going to have you're own cooking show. Just a matter of progression. With a Sportster in the kitchen, and while the dish is in the oven, we shoot out of this window.....

Now THAT is decadence!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Switchblade</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would go after a show, but thank you no to that Food TV 'Next tv chef' BS, I'll pass on that </div></div>

What if they included a stage where you had to fight the other "Chefs" with a knife?

Ding Ding Ding ^^^^^^^^^^^^ Winner^^^^^^^^^^!

Switchblade what did you season the beef and bacon with?

I tried it this weekend on a venison backstrap. Used a dry rub plus Woody's bbq sauce which is a really strong sauce great for marinating. Wrapped the marinated backstrap in two packages of thick-cut hickory smoked bacon, and then plenty more Woody's. Wrapped it in tinfoil and put it on the smoker. Had the neighbors over for the finished product and it was amazing!!. Turned out just like the pics.

Had about 10 inches of backsrap left after wrapping so I sliced it into medalions and grilled it for about 3 minutes per side.

Had two different flavors of meat on the same table, guests took their pick. It was all consumned that night at the table except for a couple of small slices which were devoured for breakfast the next morning.

Thanks Switchblade!!!!!

Switch is the master. I need to figure out a reason to get back down to his house and do this one more time. The beef tenderloin was the most tender I have ever had and the taste was fantastic.
Looking forward to deer season and doing a couple of deer tenderloins this way.
Thanks again Switch for the great meal...

I've done it with pork, used toothpicks to hold the bacon in place but that didn't work once the bacon started to shrivel up. Trying to avoid the aluminum foil so I can still get the smokey flavor, I think I'll try to use some of that cooking string and wrap that mofo up like spiderman.

Use some good applewood smoked bacon for your wrap. The bacon will infuse what is wrapped in it.

I used a light bit of my basic rub seasoning found in the 'other post' with the Barbeque Info.

qq, if it was a fight it would be ,"Hey mofo, you wanna scrap over the new contest" as he waves a knife at me. Me,"Uh, ok, BANG! Dude, didn't anyone ever twell your dumb dead ass not to bring a knife to a gun fight. Jeez some people's kids!"

RJW you and your's are always welcome here anytime you want. Next trip, we will have to figure out something else new to put in that smoker.

I am not a master, just a guy who learns from mistakes and tries to do it better next time, then shares the info when I become enlightened

Mine is wrapped up and waiting to be cooked for dinner. Got a pic or two that I will post later want one of the finished product first. I am starving after looking at it let me tell you.

Switch....Panty6 rules. That meatloaf is totally killer

I've been dreaming about this all week, so I decided to treat my wife (and myself) to a little "decadence".
We just finished dinner and I wanted to thank Switchblade for the inspiration, and share the results of my first try.

I ended up wrapping a venison loin that I've had vaccum sealed since last season. The loin was smaller than I'd remembered, so I also grilled up a couple nice fillets (just to make sure neither of us left the table still hungry).
I couldn't find the thick sliced bacon so I used a "double blanket" of regular Oscar Mayer bacon. Seasoned the loin with a little montreal steak seasoning, and started weaving and wrapping. I wrapped the whole thing in foil as advised and got to grillin! I let it cook wrapped in the foil for about 10 minutes on each side on low indirect heat, cooking the bacon and allowing it to "stableize". Then I unwrapped the foil and bumped up the heat. The bacon really kept it's shape well!
Finished cooking over direct heat on all 4 sides to "crisp" up the bacon and finish cooking the meat to just about perfect medium.
Here's how it looked:

The weave
vytouo.jpg

before the grill
1znycg5.jpg

After the grill
6prl01.jpg

And the cut!
otnblz.jpg

The Bacon Wrapped Venison loin was phenomenal!
The Fillets were pretty damn good too.
I'm stuffed now and need a nap.
Just wanted to share.

Mine was delicious I will have to post the pictures tomorrow.

I am sure number 2 son happy with the meatloaf and number 3 son know as the Baconater was happy with the mashed and the gravy....Also sure Panty 6 was rolling her eyes at the three of ya.

Enjoy the waffles