• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

More decadent food

Switchblade

muf kin poser
Minuteman
Now I was going to add this to the BBQ thread since that was where I mentioned it, but it just wouldn't work there. I had the pleasure of having RJW here for the weekend and we ate real good. Drank some great bourbon and smoked some damn good cigars too. Now for the food thing...

Steaks. Not just any old steak, but a nice 1.5" trimmed NY from the whole strip. Red Alea Hawaiian salt, fresh ground pepper, and a ripping hot fire. Mounted two sticks of butter(softened) with an equal amount of ported duxelle's(fine chopped onions, mushrooms, garlic, sautteed and finished with tawny port), and bleu and gorgonzola cheeses.
The steaks went onto the fire and were seared to perfection, then flipped. The mounted butter with all that great stuff in it went onto the steaks, and the grill was shut over a fire that redlined the guage on the smoker. As this cooked, the red rosemary potoeas were finished and the browned buttered asparagrass was plated up. A bottle or two of 7 deadly Zins was poured, and it was dinner served.
Now mind you, this taste profile on the plate was over the top decadant. I could not believe just how good, no great, no, fucking awesome, this meal was. It was over the top killer good, and the flavors were freakin amazing.

HolyShitItsFKNGOOD.jpg

We had some leftover steak for tonight too, so an even hotter fire, and the Angel's Sang and lit things up

morefkinggoodfd.jpg

So I figured you all may like a bit of the what and hows, so here ya go:

2 cubes butter, softened
1/2c crumbled Bleu Cheese
1/2c Crumbled Gorgonzola Cheese
salt and pepper
1/2c fine minced crimini mushrooms(baby bella's)
1/2c fine minced onion
2 cloves minced garlic
1/2c tawny port

Sautee the onions, mushrooms and garlic until the onions are translucent in a bit of butter or steak grease(from the trimmed fat). Add the tawny port and cook until the port has reduced and thickened. Refrigerate the mix until it is cooled. Add the mixture into a bowl with the bleu and gorgonzola cheeses, mix it well, then place the mix onto a large piece of saran wrap. Roll it into a 2" cylinder, wrap and refrigerate until hardened like a cake of butter.

Boil red potatoes in water. Add 2T of rosemary, 1T of sea salt, and 1T of fresh ground pepper for 5# of potatoes. You will not need butter for these. Remove from the water and allow to stay warm in the oven at 150+ until the steak is done.(remember to slightly undercook the potatoes if you let them sit at 150 - 170 while the steak cooks)

Take 2T of butter and put it into a hot pan. Allow it to burn to a nice peanut butter color, and add sea salt, pepper, garlic and asparagrass. Toss it until the asparagrass is well coated. Add 1/4c water, cover and wait about three to five minutes. Check at three minutes. You want the asparagrass to be wilted, and it is done, a final toss in the butter and plate it. Plate the potatoes.

Your fire is ripping hot and you have steaks cut 1.5" thick(NO, not thicker, not thinner, 1.5" thick). Red Alea Hawaiian Sea Salt and pepper, nothing else. Put them on the grill. at 1.5 minutes, move diagonally so you get a good cross grill mark...total time for one side, three minutes for rare, four for md rare...longer and you screw up good meat.
wink.gif

Now turn it, and place 1/4" thick slices of the mounted butter on each steak, turn once diagonally at 1.5 minutes, and cover for the last two minutes. Remove from the fire and plate them.
Serve this meal with a good Zinfandel.
Desert was the traditional in this home, Guinness Chocolate cake. I started with the one from Epicurious, but made a few changes to make it better. It's a good recipe to start with and if you make it, you may figure out a few tricks yourself.(I constantly mix the ganache as it cools, doubled the recipe, and when it's cool, add a cube of soft butter and whip it in the mixer...it's the frosting for the cake)

I am still amazed at how good this meal was. I had a pretty good idea as to how it would taste, but my expectations were thouroughly blown the hell away. It was phenominally good, so over the top, that it was just mind blowing good. I went way beyond anything with this that I have done before, and the very simple ingredients and seasonings just made it go through the roof on flavor. BAM doesn't even come close. Notches unknown was surpassed at light speed and these fireworks are still exploding. You got to try this. It is so decadantly freakin over the top good. I'm serious, the photos do not do justice to the flavors. Man it was good!

Re: More decadent food

Simply amazing!

Thanks man, I'm printing the instructions! Not that Mrs. Q is going to even try a steak that is anything short of carbon but life is too short to go without simply because his better half is a beef apostate!

Very good.

You're steak cooking regimen sounds about par with what we do here. The 'finishing butter' on top is a great trick. One that we do with differing spices, depending on the 'dish'.

Another fine 'side' is Boulangere. We make that once in a while. One of my favorites, but not a regular one, for sure.

As the quintessential QQ above says, my Lady too will not imbibe in a steak that still has color/texture/flavour/juice/or semblance of recognition left. But I sure will.

And I might just go back for a second opinion, too!

The steak and cake was fantastic. Thanks Switch.

Holy crap, SB - my mouth started watering as I was reading your description of this fine meal. I'll have to try this, as we're hoping getting back into grilling season here in MI.

I have the cake recipe I use saved digitally. IF you want to try the most decadant chocolate cake you have ever made, email me and I'll send it. Special dark cocoa, or black cocoa makes it way better than basic cocoa, and the secret to the frosting is to double the recipe for teh ganache...as it cools, mix it every 15 minutes, then when it is finally cooled, whip it, it makes the most wickedly decadant chocolate frosting...oh man, my mouth is watering just thinking of it, man it's dynamite good!
I am still smiling at how good this entire meal came out. It surpasses what I expected so much, I am totally blown away. My reward of that little bit of work was watching everyone's faces as they ate...wow, just amazing!

You can bring whatever ingredients you want, and I will cook. In CUlinary School, I was a master at the brown bag competition, beating out a chef from Sovereign Vineyards, and John Ash's apprentice, time after time. The class final...brown bag, me, 2nd place by one, 1, point loss against John Ash's apprentice, and I beat the chef one more time. Those were only 'emergent skills' with 'high potential'. Nowadays, I just look, use what I see, and make stuff happen. When it tastes good, it's done.
This meal here was conceptualized from the Christmas Beef Wellington, the ingredients were messed around with in a few meat loaves, but the ingredients provided this weekend were top shelf, and what hit the table still has me laughing because, well damn, I never thought it would be as good as it was, I mean, it was freakin seriously a $100 dollar a plate meal. I never expected it to go that far in the levels of taste and the layers of flavor over flavor...it was freakin A WILD!
So yeah, anyone wants some top shelf food, get your bags and bring them along, I got time over the next few weeks before Summer Session and Chemistry kick my ass.
PS I got a few bottles of bourbon and some good cigars to drink and smoke too
wink.gif

WOW! I'm salivating. Thanks for the butter idea! Will try it out very soon.

'Mounted Butter' is a staple in the culinary industry in upscale restaurants. It is simply a little salt, pepper, parsley and garlic.
The past few months I have been trying to expand flavor and taste with the least amount of ingredients possible. This meal was meat, potaote, asparagrass, butter, cheese mushrooms and onions and seasoning of salt and pepper. The cake was simply chocolate, cream, butter, flour and eggs with a ittle baking powder.
The simplicity of a luncheon of bread, cheese and either wine or beer, a little salt, or a little pepper is one of the best tasting meals around.

Did this with a couple changes. Used grated romano instead of gorgonzola, added cheyenne to the salt/pepper/garlic, and I didnt have mushrooms, so it was just sauteed elephant garlic and onion. Grilled the asparagus too. Fucking outstanding.

Switch. The 2 cubes of butter.... Is that 2 sticks, or 2 pounds or something else?? Thanks I plan to run this this weekend. Also the cake recipe please. I'm also considering maybe trying the mounted butter on a fresh venison/beef burger.

Thanks between you and RJW I haven't been let down yet.

So what day and time is dinner? I sure could eat that meal again.

Tomorrow morning is someone's favorite Egg's Benedict. Got the little round sliced Canadian Bacon, Thomas's English Muffins, butter, lemon, eggs, and a bottle of white vinegar(water and white vinegar set the egg whites when you baste the eggs). I should score major points with this, but the kids will score more with the bag of bags of chocolates and the cards.

That meal is certainly worht the effort as well as a 4-8 hour drive...just sayin

Just to pop this back up. Prepping for a Brisket, Ribs, and Chicken 1/4's, on Sat. As well as Switches cake. Gonna be a fun semi-conscious day. Now to figure out the sides.

Sides, easy...
You have great grilled/barbecue meats with strong flavors. Boiled salt potaotes(small round white or red potatoes cooked in boiling water with about 1/4c salt.(After they are cooked, toss them in butter and pepper, serve with a little sour cream and chopped chives), and some spicy sauteed corn:
2Tb Butter
1# bag frozen corn
Pepper, Garlic and Onion salt
2Tb GOOD hot sauce. NOT Tobasco, or other Luzianna stuff, but some good basic hot sauce that has flavor along with hot and cayenne pepper. Truyst me on this. We use home made in ours
3TB honey

Now get the pan hot, and toss in the corn and butter. Season it up and toss it around as it heats a bit. Add the hot sauce and honey. Finish cooking and insure everything is well coated
Serve

Switch tells the truth about hot sauce usage. He used tabasco once in his corn recipe. His #2 son called it garbage and wouldn't it. Kid has a great palate.