• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Wet tumbling with SS pins peening necks

patriotnation

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
May 21, 2018
Massachusetts
I have been using a wet tumbler for a while for reloading 6.5 creedmoor Lapua and Alpha brass. Has anyone else noticed the ends of the necks getting peened over? I am finding a bulge at the ends which is hard to deburr and if I don't it is giving me trouble chambering the rounds at times. I thought it was from letting them tumble too long so I shortened the time to an hour and it seems to help. I use Dawn and lemishine in one gallon of water and no more than 75-80 cases. I was told that once fired brass, if it is then chamfered and deburred, it should not need to be chamfered and deburred again, I am finding I am spending way too much time case prepping to the point of I am considering Ultrasonic instead but I am not familiar with that and hesitant to spend even more money since I started out with an RCBS corn cob tumbler then sprung for the Sinclair Thumbler tumbler. Trial and error is sure expensive.

Easy thing to check is tumble without the stainless pins...if it still peens, it’s not the pins.

I have to chamfer every time I load if I want to keep inside neck diameter consistent from case to case...but I don’t have to debur the outside edge.

Just something I’ve come to accept and it honestly doesn’t take long for me to chamfer. I just chuck the chamfer bit in my cordless drill and go to town on 100 or 200 at a time before priming the cases

I use SS pins as well.
9F10EC80-79A6-45A9-A13B-EF51287575C3.jpeg
I trim with Giraud once the cases are dry. Once trimmed the minimal peening goes away. I only use 2 teaspoons of dawn and I fill the container with water. I only tumble 100 brass at a time for 1 hour.

Simple easy fix is use a Giraud Trimmer to chamfer/trim the cases, but I found that Uber clean doesn’t shoot as good as just tumbled brass, the carbon inside the necks aids in consistent bullet release.

I, deprime, wet tumble without pins using Brass Juice. Then I re-size, trim on a Giraud, and then tumble in media to remove the case lube. If you are tumbling with pins, 30 minutes to an hr max will be easier on you case mouths.