• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What’s your poison?

Among bourbons, I really like Basil Hayden Dark Rye. A bit hard to find though.

It's delicious
IMG_20190501_1825069.jpg

I absolutely love Lagavulin, it's a mortal sin to put ice in any Scotch, or it should be.

Talisker Storm is good, Scapa is ok, Tomatin is ok for as cheap as it is. Laphriogh and Ardbeg are also good.

I've been searching for something to beat Laga and I haven't found it yet. Glenmorangie 18 was ok to drink but didn't give me the satisfaction of Laga. I will go through a bottle of Laga a week if I'm not careful, that gets expensive.

Don't give up on the scotch.....there are some very nice single malts available in the $35 to $45 range, one "vatted" scotch I like is Monkey Shoulder. Its bottled by Balvenie a blend of three single malts, no grain., $34.
Glengoyne 10y a sherry finish $39. Tomatin is a sherry finish single malt at $34, Glenmorangie Original 10Y is $39 a decent scotch. Glen Grant no age is like $24
My favorites like you fall in the $50-70 range, Aberlour, McCallen, Bunnahabhain, and Glendronach 12Y at $65 is liquid heaven.

Reactions: Alarka
Nope, there's another cabinet with more not shown. I don't have everything but I do have that.
Or there's simply a lot that I've gone through but not replaced. I like variety.
I see you found Wyoming’s offering.

Is it any good?

Dang, nigga, will you adopt me. A bottle of Pappy's 10 beside a bottle of Pappy's 20 Family Reserve (how did you come by that?), and a shelf down Pierre Ferrand :love:beside Eagle's Rare.

Ill be real good and polish the bottles every night.

But that PBR should really only be sipped from a chilled long neck.

I'm not a fan of Bulleit. It's been a long time but I remember it being too sweet.

I bought a bottle after I tried it in a speakeasy but it was disappointing.

I tried Knob Creek after that because machine guns and it is much better.

If I remember my research it's a Bourbon made by Buffalo Trace distillery, same as Pappy Van Winkle, so they know how to make really good Bourbon (although Pappy is blended and small batch Knob Creek is single barrel I think).

I've tried a few other Bourbons, nothing too fancy or expensive, but I always go back to Knob Creek because when I do drink, I don't want to waste the chance on something I might not like.
You are probably thinking about Weller. Knob Creek is blended for the regular 100 proof stuff. The Knob Creek single barrel is 120 proof.

I went to my local liquor shoppe where I bought six bottles of wine. As I open up each one, I will tell you about them. However, in the meantime, I picked up a can of 25 oz. Michelob Ultra since it is starting to heat up here in Sparks, NV. Good stuff. Their new gold is too watered down, but the Ultra is light, but still quite flavorful. Recently read that Ultra and Modelos Especial (similar tasting almost) are becoming the top two favorites of the general public. Never could see the attraction of Coors...I was told several times that it is an "acquired taste". Why should I acquire a taste for it??? It should taste good from the first swig! ...and what's with putting garbage in a bottle of Corona??? So pretentious. I could go on, but this Ultra is cooling me off...

• Haha
Reactions: Maggot
Ive cut carbs out of my diet.

I cut carbs, not alcohol, Im not an idiot.

So I needed a replacement.

Friend said try this stuff...

Not bad, after I get through the burning taste the first sip or so and those taste buds go dead, I get a mouthful of vanilla on each sip.

Looking for something that will give me that touch of sweet taste sip one till the bottom of the tumbler.

Ive cut carbs out of my diet.

I cut carbs, not alcohol, Im not an idiot.

So I needed a replacement.

Friend said try this stuff...

View attachment 7101436

Not bad, after I get through the burning taste the first sip or so and those taste buds go dead, I get a mouthful of vanilla on each sip.

Looking for something that will give me that touch of sweet taste sip one till the bottom of the tumbler.

Good cognac will do that....you wont "Feel the bern."

I kind of got into wine and sometimes I go on a wine kick and pick up a few bottles. When I got into it, the Chinese millionaires had just discovered wine and it became really difficult to buy French wine at a decent price. It seemed the general opinion at the time was that a good Spanish wine could be purchased for less than half the price of a comparable French wine, so I focused on Spanish wines. Now that French wine prices have come back down, I don’t really feel like exploring them.

I found a couple of Spanish wines in the $20 range that I really liked, especially the Emilio Moro that was one step up from their crianza. I found that a Spanish wine with a strong finish, like the Emilio Moro malleus, starts around $45, and that has been a rare treat for me. They don’t make the $20 Emilio Moro wine anymore, so I tend to pick up the crianza or the Cune crianza. Both of those are priced under $15, but I find them to be a bit too acidic, most of the time. Sometimes I get a good bottle, but not usually. So I often add just a dash of lbv port to the glass to balance it out a little. A $20 bottle I like and can usually find is Trig Point. The finish is not terribly lasting, but there’s nothing objectionable about it.

Jameson is the typical call.
mostly too cheap for anything fancy. eats into my ammo budget.

• Haha
Reactions: Alarka and Maggot
I kind of got into wine and sometimes I go on a wine kick and pick up a few bottles. When I got into it, the Chinese millionaires had just discovered wine and it became really difficult to buy French wine at a decent price. It seemed the general opinion at the time was that a good Spanish wine could be purchased for less than half the price of a comparable French wine, so I focused on Spanish wines. Now that French wine prices have come back down, I don’t really feel like exploring them.

I found a couple of Spanish wines in the $20 range that I really liked, especially the Emilio Moro that was one step up from their crianza. I found that a Spanish wine with a strong finish, like the Emilio Moro malleus, starts around $45, and that has been a rare treat for me. They don’t make the $20 Emilio Moro wine anymore, so I tend to pick up the crianza or the Cune crianza. Both of those are priced under $15, but I find them to be a bit too acidic, most of the time. Sometimes I get a good bottle, but not usually. So I often add just a dash of lbv port to the glass to balance it out a little. A $20 bottle I like and can usually find is Trig Point. The finish is not terribly lasting, but there’s nothing objectionable about it.

If you like good Spanish wines, try 'Tempranillo'. Google it as I cant recommend any one in particular but anything over $15 should give you a good bottle. Best Ive ever had was gifted to me by a friend from Mexico. Spanish grapes grown in the Baja Peninsula. I think it was around $50 but goddamn....it would almost make you cum in your pants. Had it all, NOse, Lip, taste. wish I could get another bottle but Mexico is too fucked up to visit.
https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A2K...lo-wine//RK=2/RS=GvxtX8Xw_f9mgLYk0kQuSs.JuII-

Reactions: pewpewfever
Although not from Espana, but rather from the Madeira Is. (Portugal), Madeira wine is great as it lasts almost indefinitely after opening if sealed with a cork to prevent evaporation. I found it to be a cross twixt a whiskey and a wine. Potent yet appealing.

I have had to make it policy not to not drink unfortunately otherwise I would be able to articulate my opinion of the best booze.

Opened up a bottle of Cupcake Vineyards Riesling wine today. When I first started drinking wine again, after a long drought since Boone's Farm, no...not Apple Wine, but Boone's Farm Tickle Pink, I thought I would try out two different but similar wines and have my own taste testing. Everyone's palette is different. I use mine to paint with...seriously, everyone's palate is different and I understand that one's taste buds do not come into play until after they reach puberty. No jokes necessary about me still waiting for me to reach it...after all I used to walk with the dinosaurs.
But I digress. I decided to compare a wine from the vineyards of Layer Cake (more expensive then) and one from Cupcake. Surprisingly, the Cupcake was better tasting. So just because something is more expensive that does not make it better. Instead of the usual Cabernet Sauvignon, that I usually get, I picked out a Riesling which is a sweet desert wine, originally from Germany. So this is what I had today and probably tomorrow...Stay tuned for what comes next.

I have to give a 'hat tip' to @Nik H here, because of his recommended 'cocktails' that he gave me the recipe's for. I say this, publicly, because for many years (some decades) I have been against cocktails due to the fact that I found all they did was cover and sweeten. For any cocktails I had tried long, long ago it was tantamount to taking a perfectly cooked premium steak and slathering ketchup all over it and then covering THAT with applesauce.

In other words, completely ruining something that was perfectly good to begin with.

I was wrong.

He'd asked me some questions about my palate and preferences, and then gave me some suggestions. As I told him already, and am sharing with ya'll here, the ones I had a chance to try were TRULY great. The mixture enhanced the flavours and added 'height' to the drinks. They are now part of my repertoire.

So there ya go, it don't hurt to learn. And it don't hurt to man-up when you've been wrong, either. Have a great weekend ya'll.

Reactions: Nik H and Soulezoo
I have to give a 'hat tip' to @Nik H here, because of his recommended 'cocktails' that he gave me the recipe's for. I say this, publicly, because for many years (some decades) I have been against cocktails due to the fact that I found all they did was cover and sweeten. For any cocktails I had tried long, long ago it was tantamount to taking a perfectly cooked premium steak and slathering ketchup all over it and then covering THAT with applesauce.

In other words, completely ruining something that was perfectly good to begin with.

I was wrong.

He'd asked me some questions about my palate and preferences, and then gave me some suggestions. As I told him already, and am sharing with ya'll here, the ones I had a chance to try were TRULY great. The mixture enhanced the flavours and added 'height' to the drinks. They are now part of my repertoire.

So there ya go, it don't hurt to learn. And it don't hurt to man-up when you've been wrong, either. Have a great weekend ya'll.

The only 'mixed' drink Ive ever really enjoyed is:

- 2 oz.Bombay Sapphire
-8 oz good tonic
-healthy twist of lime
-pour over crushed ice

One will dim your lights, two will put them out, three will kill the engine.

• Haha
Reactions: Sean the Nailer
A couple of thoughts on cocktails...

Now I enjoy a number of them. I have a palate like anyone else does. Things I like are not necessarily things you'll like and vice versa. Viva la difference.
A long time ago, I would save cocktails for mid to bottom shelf crap to mix with. It helps to cover flaws. 7 and 7 a classic example. Who wants to drink Seagram's 7 straight? That said, and after much experimenting, I found the better the booze the better the cocktails. Now off the cuff that makes sense. But no one in their right mind is going to sub Blanton's for 7... right? Blanton's is neat or at the very least on ice, right? Maybe? It's blasphemy otherwise, right?

All I am saying is don't be afraid to try something. If you enjoy it neat, you are likely to find it makes a better cocktail too.

Whistle Pig Manhattan is much better than Bulleit, trust.
Eagle Rare old fashioned is way better than Beam... and etc.

Remember, you like what you like. Enjoy it!

Reactions: Sean the Nailer
The only 'mixed' drink Ive ever really enjoyed is:

- 2 oz.Bombay Sapphire
-8 oz good tonic
-healthy twist of lime
-pour over crushed ice

One will dim your lights, two will put them out, three will kill the engine.
Sapphire is my go to gin. Good recipe here. I prefer Schweppes tonic.
Trust me it takes more than 3 for me just to feel good.

Reactions: Maggot
Sapphire is my go to gin. Good recipe here. I prefer Schweppes tonic.
Trust me it takes more than 3 for me just to feel good.

Give Regular Bombay Dry a try.

Those of us who truly love gin have a saying. Sapphire is gin for people that don’t like gin. Much too floral in a really artificial way.