• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What 300RUM to try first in my new R700?

st34lth

Private
Minuteman
Nov 21, 2011
All,

Just got my baby this past weekend (R700 VT SF II in 300RUM) and want to do some quick 100-150yd trials on optics. Would like to get some boxed ammo to try out before getting my hand load situation sorted and trying to decide between 150 or 180.

Currently looking at Power Level II Scirocco Bonded 180gr 2960 fps and Remington Managed Recoil Core-Lokt Pointed Soft Point 150gr 2815 fps.

The 150gr is a lot more economical and I'm just trying to get used to the gun and group at 100yd to get things dialed in (like my breathing). Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Re: What 300RUM to try first in my new R700?

I was shooting the 150gr Sciroccos out of my 700P and it would hold just fine just under an inch. And everything I shot with it form 75 out to 350 yards dropped liked a sack of doorknobs.

Derrick

Mine shoots the heavy stuff a lot better. I would try the 180s first and when you reload try out the 208 amaxs with retumbo that's my pet load past 1k.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Derrick300</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was shooting the 150gr Sciroccos out of my 700P and it would hold just fine just under an inch. And everything I shot with it form 75 out to 350 yards dropped liked a sack of doorknobs.

Derrick </div></div>

How far were you shooting at with that grouping? Did you move to something heavier and how did it perform? Like I said before, handloads after this but I'd like to get something setup sooner than later.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: st34lth</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Derrick300</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was shooting the 150gr Sciroccos out of my 700P and it would hold just fine just under an inch. And everything I shot with it form 75 out to 350 yards dropped liked a sack of doorknobs.

Derrick </div></div>

How far were you shooting at with that grouping? Did you move to something heavier and how did it perform? Like I said before, handloads after this but I'd like to get something setup sooner than later. </div></div>

Never had a chance to check groups past 100, but always seemed to hit right where I was intending them to hit. Get a box of each and see which one your rifle likes.

Why not just start out with handloads instead of wasting barrel life and money on shitty ammo?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: K41</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why not just start out with handloads instead of wasting barrel life and money on shitty ammo?

41 </div></div>

Agreed. I know you seem to be in a hurry to test it out but why bother shooting it unless your gonna shoot some good stuff? I was using 208Amax's in my 700P over Retumbo and it really liked that load. For what you'll spend on buying ammo for the large calibers, you can get the reloading equipment and eveythign and save a LOT of money. just my opinion because I don't know anyting about factory ammo, I've never shot it in anything except a box or two out of my Creedmoor.

Valid point. Honest answer is I want to make 100% sure there is a difference between what I can buy in a box from Rem or Fed and a handload for this gun/caliber. No problem paying for it but I'm not a "salt first, taste later" kind of guy. I like to know the difference it makes. That said, hand loads will be cheaper in the long run but I will not be doing them myself - I dont have the time nor the equipment like some of you lucky guys here.

What I'd really like to find is if I had to limit myself to boxed ammo, the best price/performance ratio that people have shot with. If I can shoot that first I have something to grade the hand loads against.

mine did the factory 180 Scircco's fairly good, but is way better with 178 Amax over Retumbo....really want to try some 208's out, but the 178's kill sooooo good!!