• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What .308 muzzle device? Opinions needed.

KR24

Private
Minuteman
Jul 27, 2012
Kentucky
Maten monolithic with 18 inch Rainier Arms Ultramatch barrel. Obtaining parts still. Will be adding some type of Ffp 3-15x scope. Reduce recoil/rise/flash/blast. Interested in all opinions on what you think is the best all around or what I need to focus on most with this platform. Thanks in advance.

Re: What .308 muzzle device? Opinions needed.

Ive run a PWS, a Dark metal design and a JP brake. All three are very close in performance. The difference is in the overblast zone and type of felt recoil after. The best way I can describe it is like the difference between a shotgun and a rifle in recoil.

With the pws I felt a shotgun "type" recoil. With the JP and dark M I feel a reduced rifle recoil.

All 3 are loud but I double up plugs and muffs so it doesnt bother me.

I have the PWS for sale 70 shipped it you are interested.

I put this brake on my MA TEN and have yet to find anything I like better.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/792512/...stainless-steel

792512.jpg

I'm considering the PWSfs30. Anyone have experience with the BABC?

What else have you tried Matt? Any comparison you can give?

I have experience with the BABC. It is the most ineffective brake I've tried. It is untouchable in terms of keeping the muzzle centered, but does next to nothing for recoil, and contrary to the claims of the fanboys is just as loud and obnoxious as any muzzle brake...just ask the people to your sides.

I've also had the MSTN quiet brake, the Mickeluk brake, and the PWS FSC30 brake. All these brakes are close in performance, If i had to choose, i'd take the Mickeluk for economy (<$50) or the PWS for its flash suppression.

I have the PWS on my AR10 and it reduces the recoil to a small hicup, the rifle doesn't push, bounce or get off target by much at all and spotting your hits on steel at 100 yds is easy.
hope this helps.

SJC Titan - Comments I get on the firiing line are "Man, your barrel barely moved" and "What the hell are you shooting, because the side blast about knocked me off the bench"

7114665793_451d340a19_b.jpg

Titan looks solid. Anyone tried Seekins ATC?

So, in light of what was mentioned in another thread, anyone notice any negative effects on accuracy with any of these muzzle devices?

Has anyone tried the AAC Blackout Muzzle brake....not the breakout combo...the actual break.

I have a surefire on my obr (works with my can), and I'd say it works ok. I have a Battle Comp on a couple AR15's and they work great for me. But the best comp I've had so far has got to be the Lil' Bastard from APA - on a bolt gun. It was incredibly effective. I don't know if it would profile on a gas gun well enough without work...but if it did, it's a winner.

I've shot the Miculek brake on a 308 and an AAC Titan QD on my 300. Both work very well on my bolt guns. I think I actually prefer the AAC - reduces muzzle rise to less than a 308 so its easy to spot hits, but that 300 still jars you. Like I said, both work very well.

So has anyone done an actual study to see which muzzle break works best for what style shooting and type of rifle/cal?