• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What are you actually getting with a Tac A1?

Yep I'm down under

Interesting, I thought the CTR and Tac A1 had the same action and barrel

From KRG:

*The Tikka inlet accepts T3, T3x, and CTR versions, however slight mods may be required on the trigger-guard for the T3 TAC A1 to function properly. Tikka rifles accept AICS pattern mags with the exception of the Magpul AICS polymer mags.

This is regarding the Bravo; I'll let you do the research on the other chassis options. :)

Doberman makes some good points about the Tac A1 that I was not aware of. Always learning.
You're welcome!

One of other quick thing: if we're talking the TAC A1 vs the CTR, the CTR comes with a stainless barrel and action option (same as with the Varmint and the standard T3 x Lite and others). However, I can't find any details on what the coating is on the TAC A1 ... and am in an area where everything rusts ...

Another argument for going the "CTR + stock that's exactly what you want" path, at least for some folks.

Odd how some prices are similar in US and others are very different, e.g. the giant premium you pay in Oz for a Tac A1. Don’t know if it’s Beretta or something else. I agree at those prices and even the US prices now I’d put a varmint or CTR in a chassis before buying a Tac.

Btw as a yank with great respect and affinity for you lot down under I apologize for the wankers in the bear pit trying to take the piss, just embarrassing to the vast majority of us.
It's all good😉
Just banter, and if you cant take the knocks, don't play the game.
Thanks though.

Reactions: Graywolf.260
Depends on your situation I guess. You may find you really like the Tikka chassis. I took mine out coyote hunting a few times since buying it. The forend was very stable slung across my log of choice. It didn't have the issues same issues I had with my MPA/700 combo while hunting (not the rem's fault).
I am very limited in my chassis experience, I've had the Tac A1 and an MPA and prefer the Tac A1.
I bought the "LE" model with a shorter barrel. They come with the Sako TRG brake which can be a plus or a minus. It works well but kills my ears.
Folds up into a nice package so it's nice to get into position. Loaded I am at 13 plus change pounds. Go try one is all I can tell you. Not that I am a good shot but took it out playing around with it shooting 175 grain match kinds loaded for an old 700 and got this. I'm a shit shot and was tiring during the last few strings.

I don't think you'd regret buying the Tac A1 or purchasing a CTR and upgrading, as far as I can tell the Tac A1 has thicker profiled barrel compared to the CTR.

Target.jpeg
Range.jpeg

Reactions: GrumpyOleFart
For a "production rifle" Tikka is pretty damn good.
I am a Tikka "fanboy".
That's because the Tikka's I have owned, were all bloody good rifles.
With a bit of tweaking via handloads and stock improvement, they can be even better.
They are a cost effective option to get into some long range fun.

Reactions: Bravo6
Thats a hard question to answer considering where you're from. If your tac A1’s are more than double our US price, does that mean MDT’s are similar?
In Australia we generally assume we will pay 2x what you would in the USA for firearms products. Yes, it hurts.

Examples in Australian Dollars;
Bartlein stainless barrel blank, $785 - on that one we assume a barrel spun up is going to be about $1200 before we can put it on action
Terminus Zeus or Defiance Deviant action, $2800-3300
MDT ACC chassis (blank, no grip etc) AUD$1549
MPA chassis, appx $2000
ATACR 7-35, $5600
TT Diamond Trigger $589
Horandy 110 ATips, $139 per 100, 105Hybrids $74 per 100
You get the idea.

Variations in markup for goods coming into Australia is based on who is importing gear.
There are costs that magnify our final price - ITAR export out of USA, freight to Aus and Customs fees to clear into Australia
Some importers want to sell bulk, some want big margins, some are the sole importer and simply take the piss.
Biggest issue we have is supply. Some brands are represented here by importers that are truly hopeless but they make sure their image (portrayed on Instagram for example) is that they are active and popular in the Aus shooting community.
Common to wait 12months for an item, even when the US manufacturer has stock on hand.

As for the OPs original question,
Tikka are very popular here as a factory barrelled action.
The Tac A1 is not good value.
Better of assembling a rifle with Tikka or whatever "factory barrelled action" you like, dropped into a ACC with an APA LB brake and go enjoy.

Best value entry level "turn key" option in Aus is the Howa KRG Bravo. About $1400 and ready to go once you add a brake and bipod.
Most of us end up with barrelled actions of choice in a MDT ACC or MPA chassis once we get hooked (and sell a kidney)

Interesting price differences from Aus and Canada. Here, a stainless varmint is about $1600 and a tac A1 more like $3000. We also have the CTR at around $1500, but not available in stainless.

I just bought a stainless varmint. Haven't even scoped or shot it yet. I couldn't see the price difference being worth it for the tac A1. It certainly has some appealing features, but I can put the varmint in a chassis of my choice for less or the same money.

Tac A1 has that 2 stage trigger, I think it has the bigger bolt knob, and threaded muzzle. Those were the things I cared about beyond just the chassis, probably more subtle differences. Your price difference is even more than mine, so I'd of course recommend the varmint unless...

Do you have the CTR in Aus? Coming with a scope rail and a CTR mag for about the same as the varmint is a pretty great deal. Even if you switch to a chassis and use AICS mags, you could sell that expensive CTR mag to recover some of the cost.

Based on the great reviews here, I picked up a 6.5cm approx 4 months ago. Replaced the TRG muzzle with a TBAC CB for an Ultra 7. Have put 200rds through w zero stress from a 100zero to 800yds. Easy to shoot and damn more accurate than I am. I love the collapsible stock and smooth action. Shooting factory 140/147 Hornady ELD-M w a NF NX8 4-32 (Mil-XT). Stress free walk in walk out purchase and stress free shooting. I feel that I have received incredibly good value for the $$$ spent.