• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s What are you drinking right now!?

Tried a version last year. Was from a different area of France, started with an A. Was wonderful. Was like a light bourbon.

Drinking Four Rose's single barrel today. Very good middle shelf bourbon that doesn't break the bank. This cask has a lot of vanilla, which I like.
You are thinking of Armagnac. That's what I had tonight:

20200511_204239.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: FatBoy
Couple 4 of these

Attachments

• 20200515_172358.jpg
    20200515_172358.jpg
    264.7 KB · Views: 98
This can go in the wine thread as well... a fine expression of a right bank Bordeaux

20200518_173952.jpg

Bought this today to see what a rye is like. I know scotch, maybe one of you bourbon/rye guys can educate me on this...kinda like it though.

Attachments

• IMG_0861.jpg
    IMG_0861.jpg
    509.1 KB · Views: 115
I'll see your rye and raise you sour mash.

View attachment 7330822
Help me out here; what should I be looking for difference wise between a sour mash and a rye? I can talk all night about the differences between an Islay and a Highland, but have no f'n clue what to look for other than it tastes good or it has a bite that I don't like. Does it help to open up with a couple drops of water like some scotches and Irish whiskeys?

Help me out here; what should I be looking for difference wise between a sour mash and a rye? I can talk all night about the differences between an Islay and a Highland, but have no f'n clue what to look for other than it tastes good or it has a bite that I don't like. Does it help to open up with a couple drops of water like some scotches and Irish whiskeys?
Howdy.
Let's stick to the Michters line here for a moment to discuss. First, the rye is such that it must have a mashbill of at least 51% rye to be called a rye whiskey. Ryes tend to be more spicy in the profile and a little more neutral. It tends to mix well for cocktails. Michter is known as a "high rye-rye" meaning that it has a lot of rye (not 100%), in conjunction with barley and corn. The sour mash is called such because it doesn't have a mashbill that contains either 51% of rye or corn. Bourbon, by law, must contain at least 51% corn and spend at least 4 years in a charred oak barrel. Bourbon will be sweet compared to the rye with a lot more notes of vanilla, brown sugar, caramel, (those are predominant, but a lot of other flavors can be had including citrus or baking spices, nuttiness and etc) .
I wouldn't get wrapped up too much in what to expect, just sip it and enjoy it for what it is. You will either like it or not. Where Michters is concerned, it's lower proof (mid 80's), so I wouldn't add water. But you can add a drop or 3 and see what it does for you.
After spending time drinking anywhere from 100 to 135 proof (Elijah Craig barrel proof)lately, 86 proof is like kool-aid!

Reactions: Snuby642
Howdy.
Let's stick to the Michters line here for a moment to discuss. First, the rye is such that it must have a mashbill of at least 51% rye to be called a rye whiskey. Ryes tend to be more spicy in the profile and a little more neutral. It tends to mix well for cocktails. Michter is known as a "high rye-rye" meaning that it has a lot of rye (not 100%), in conjunction with barley and corn. The sour mash is called such because it doesn't have a mashbill that contains either 51% of rye or corn. Bourbon, by law, must contain at least 51% corn and spend at least 4 years in a charred oak barrel. Bourbon will be sweet compared to the rye with a lot more notes of vanilla, brown sugar, caramel, (those are predominant, but a lot of other flavors can be had including citrus or baking spices, nuttiness and etc) .
I wouldn't get wrapped up too much in what to expect, just sip it and enjoy it for what it is. You will either like it or not. Where Michters is concerned, it's lower proof (mid 80's), so I wouldn't add water. But you can add a drop or 3 and see what it does for you.
After spending time drinking anywhere from 100 to 135 proof (Elijah Craig barrel proof)lately, 86 proof is like kool-aid!
Thank you...I did notice that this had more rye than some of the others that I looked at. I had pretty much stayed away from bourbons since the Jack Daniels days of the mid to late 70's. Seeing some of them being discussed made me realize that there was more there than the stuff I was drinking back in the day.
I take a lot of shit from my buddy that I hang out with in New Zealand about how much better the Irish whiskeys are than the American versions. Would like to bring a couple good examples of mid-shelf products with me when I go back in January. Guess I have a few months to "taste test" before heading back. Any other suggestions that don't go over $100 are appreciated. Cheers

Thank you...I did notice that this had more rye than some of the others that I looked at. I had pretty much stayed away from bourbons since the Jack Daniels days of the mid to late 70's. Seeing some of them being discussed made me realize that there was more there than the stuff I was drinking back in the day.
I take a lot of shit from my buddy that I hang out with in New Zealand about how much better the Irish whiskeys are than the American versions. Would like to bring a couple good examples of mid-shelf products with me when I go back in January. Guess I have a few months to "taste test" before heading back. Any other suggestions that don't go over $100 are appreciated. Cheers
It would help if you had an idea of your taste profile and what you liked.
However, (BTW, Jack Daniels is Tennessee whiskey and not Bourbon), for Bourbon (going to cover a few distilleries, mashbills and price points with good availability) Old Forester Prohibition 1920. Knob Creek single barrel. Wild Turkey Rare Breed, Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit, Eagle Rare, Elijah Craig, Old Grand Dad 114, Russell's Reserve (single barrel) McKenna Bottled in Bond. For Rye, Pikeville, Rittenhouse, Old Forester, Sazerac and if you can spring it, Whistle Pig 10 year. (IMHO, Whistle Pig is the best rye hands down).

Reactions: Joel Danielson
By the way, you can tell your friend there that most Irish whiskeys (that aren't single malt) are pot and triple distilled to eliminate conagers and get a more neutral taste. To help it along, many popular Irish whiskeys also include a certain amount of neutral grain distillate to further clean up the flavor. That's blasphemy to me. Stick with John Powers. If it weren't for Mr. Powers... well it was Mr. Powers that saved Irish whiskey from extinction.

I hear Scotch, Bourbon, Rye, Japanese, Irish, Tennessee and American whisk(e)ys talked about but not much Canadian. Other than Crown, you hear little. Now it's obviously selling... so who enjoys it? Let's be honest. Most of it is garbage. (Hey, if you think CC or Black Velvet is top shelf, rock on) However, there are some Canadian whiskies that are well crafted and worthy of your time. (And please, DON'T say Crown!)

I enjoy Caribou Crossing in this category.

Bought this today to see what a rye is like. I know scotch, maybe one of you bourbon/rye guys can educate me on this...kinda like it though.
My everyday go to rye is Lot 40 from Canada. For sipping I like Angel's Envy finished rye. Whistle Pig 10 and 12 is pretty good stuff, but a bit pricey.

My everyday go to rye is Lot 40 from Canada. For sipping I like Angel's Envy finished rye. Whistle Pig 10 and 12 is pretty good stuff, but a bit pricey.
Saw both of those on the shelf when visiting TW this week. Is the 12 worth the difference in price? What is the biggest difference between the two (barrels used, flavors, smoothness, etc...)?

Ok. It's Friday, that's my day, and I'm relaxing with a little Burning Chair Bourbon.

20200522_144644.jpg

Having this one today, good entry level scotch, smooth easy drinker. Got this bottle for $37.99, a good value. View attachment 7318706
From Costco Liquor? Here that's a 75 dollar bottle. I know in FL they were selling this at the Clearwater Costco for about that price. Sadly, in 'Bama we have no Costco Liquor and in Georgia there are only like 2 Costco's that sell Liquor due to their ABC as well.

That said, I'm getting a little perturbed at the popularity of the NAS Scotch.

Having a vodka martini on this hot day after cutting down an oak tree on the property that died a couple of years ago. That's more work than I thought it would be! Anyway, made with "Ocean" vodka. Cheers!

20200524_153447.jpg

Reactions: Snuby642
Cherry coca cola.

Some of us are working to keep power flowing.
Unit startup, hot as balls and living the dream.
Enjoy your holiday gentlemen, drink a finger of bourbon for us.

Cherry coca cola.

Some of us are working to keep power flowing.
Unit startup, hot as balls and living the dream.
Enjoy your holiday gentlemen, drink a finger of bourbon for us.

Been there Brother

E

EDIT: you must be manning the secondary watch station. Don't remove the hardhat.

Last edited:
Reactions: silentwoods
Been there Brother

E

EDIT: you must be manning the secondary watch station. Don't remove the hardhat.
Turbine operator, generation side totally.
Occasionally switching and switch yard work. Mostly turbine. Lots of action. Especially when elevator is always down.

Turbine operator, generation side totally.
Occasionally switching and switch yard work. Mostly turbine. Lots of action. Especially when elevator is always down.

Makes for a good workout. Always enjoyed the 525 yard when it's heavy humidity and it feels like bees are in your hardhat.🙄

Hell of a resume builder🤣

Stay safe.

E

Decent rum. But they LIE! When you see the number on the bottle, your brain automatically thinks that's an age statement. But it is not!
Here's my "18":
View attachment 7286713
I’m a fan of real cane rum, but regular rum just does not agree with me.

Note that it does not say "18 years" or "18 years old" or anything that qualifies as an age statement (legalities and all that).

The fact is, it is a blended rum where the oldest of the blend is 18 years. Legally, when an age statement is given, the age listed must be the youngest juice in the blend.

I’m not sure what has cost me more, guns or booze, after joining this site. 😜

enjoying one of my favorite Glenmorangies after a day of doing same daily maintenance.

Attachments

• 20200529_155350.jpg
    20200529_155350.jpg
    593.5 KB · Views: 137
Reactions: bkglock