• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What are you guys using for priming tools?

Iamero

Barksa #1 Fanboy & Professional Paper Puncher
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Feb 14, 2017
    Michigan
    Currently using an old Lee hand primer for small rifle primers and my Coax for large primers but definitely need an upgrade. I’ve seen the primal rights primer which is awesome but really expensive.

What are you guys running? Specifically wondering for your match loads. Something autloading would be nice versus the single feed I’m currently using on the Coax.

I sometimes use my Dillon 650 for 223, otherwise my rcbs hand primer for small primers and an old lee autoprime for large.

I’m not a fan of the rcbs universal shell holder, it seems to slip randomly and slows me down quite a bit.

Is that a single feed handheld?

I use the 21st Century with the Lee tray. Micrometer adjustable for depth. Very nice unit. I have work out an RCBS that used standard shell holders and I have a Lyman for a backup. They all have their ups and downs, it the 21st century is pretty awesome.

Reactions: Bradu and Holliday
    I have two Forster Co-Ax Bench primers, one for small and one for large primers, an excellent device though it requires adjustment. If you have one of these or chose this tool, Forster makes a special primer loading tool that is fantastic. I had made one from an RCBS primer flipper tray, but the Forster tool is better.

I have one of the newer Spring clamp RCBS hand held devices, it works well and does not need to be adjusted when changing calibers, however, when priming a large number of cases the force to insert and remove each case tends to pile up.

For the most precise requirements I have a Franklin hand held primer that uses a shell holder like the Lee devices.

I also have an RCBS Automatic Bench Priming Device I found in an auction. It would have been nice if I had found it first, it works quite well, uses standard RCBS shell holders and the primer tubes are comparable with Dillion tubes which are a little easier to load than the RCBS tubes. Of course the tubes can also be loaded with other tools like the one made by Franklin.

Reactions: Kwe1982
    I'm partial to the Frankford Arsenal micrometer adjustable hand held with tray. It comes with about forty dollars worth of shell holders. When I bought mine, Cabella's had the best price, under $60.00. The first 500 I seated to .001 deeper than anvil contact in the primer pocket. With the micrometer adjustment I can some day experiment to find the sweet spot for primer seating depth.

It sounds like most people are still using the hand primers. I might just have to upgrade it to something a little nicer, probably the RCBS. I love how that Primal Rights one works, but $600...ouch.

I'm partial to the Frankford Arsenal micrometer adjustable hand held with tray. It comes with about forty dollars worth of shell holders. When I bought mine, Cabella's had the best price, under $60.00. The first 500 I seated to .001 deeper than anvil contact in the primer pocket. With the micrometer adjustment I can some day experiment to find the sweet spot for primer seating depth.

I use the same. I like it a lot and I believe Cabelas still has the best price. I purchased mine recently and couldn't find it cheaper.

Nice, that's good to know. I have to run there later today anyways to pick up a mag for my rifle, so I will see what they've got in stock by me.

IMO the Frankford is the best hand primer made. It's adjustable for depth, seats consistently, is very ergonomic in your hand, and the tray design is awesome since it will let you flip in an entire tray of even Federals with their giant packaging. The little bumps also work very well for flipping them. It seats as accurately as my K&M's.

The primal rights looks nice, but there's no way I would ever give that guy a cent of my money. I'd seat them with a ball peen hammer first.

Laugh at me but I use the lee bench autoprime. It is a little finicky but once you get how it likes you to pull the handle(small price to pay for how cheap it is) it is lighting fast and easy. I could prob prime 50 cases in 4 minutes without really rushing. I had one of the actuator mechanisms in it break right before a big range outing but they sent a new one with two day shipping at no cost. It is an updated part that they said would fix the issue of it breaking. No one really makes fail-proof products for a reasonable price, but you can send free parts with fast shipping to earn my respect!

Reactions: Alphatreedog
    I use the 21st Century with the Lee tray. Micrometer adjustable for depth. Very nice unit. I have work out an RCBS that used standard shell holders and I have a Lyman for a backup. They all have their ups and downs, it the 21st century is pretty awesome.
    I use the century 21 too. That thing is just plain awesome.....

I have the same one with the tray and it works good. I still use my RCBS hand primer more than anything, some day I will buy the one from primal rights. My hands cramp up real bad after a few hundred cases.

That's kind of what I am thinking I am going to do. Probably either the Frankfort or the RCBS for my hand primer.

The coax is smooth and really nice for priming, it's just incredibly slow.

All my 223 and 9mm is run on my Dillon 550, but I need a good solution for the precious stuff as my Lee has seen better days.

I recently stopped dropping powder and seating bullets on the dillon 550, but I still use it for clearing media out of flash holes and priming. It’s quick and doesn’t hurt my sd’s.

I use either my Hornady hand primer, which blows, or my Dillon 550. Mostly the Dillon.

I have a RCBS bench priming tool. I've had it a couple years but I've never used it. I was thinking of getting it out and trying it for my 6.5 Creedmoor.

p_749007452_2.jpg

Has anybody used one of these? Thoughts?

I use either my Hornady hand primer, which blows, or my Dillon 550. Mostly the Dillon.

I have a RCBS bench priming tool. I've had it a couple years but I've never used it. I was thinking of getting it out and trying it for my 6.5 Creedmoor.

I think you'll like it. Filling the tubes is easier if you get some Dillon tubes or a device to fill them. Mine is mounted to a square of wood that allowed me to clamp to my my workbench. I also set a box or some other object covered with a rag behind the press to rest the primer tube on rather than letting it hit the stop.

Reactions: Srgt. Hulka
    Holland has a modified setup of the RCBS bench primer that allows you to adjust the depth of the primers. It looks like a pretty decent setup that isn't too expensive.

Reactions: oldnmkid
    I think you'll like it. Filling the tubes is easier if you get some Dillon tubes or a device to fill them. Mine is mounted to a square of wood that allowed me to clamp to my my workbench. I also set a box or some other object covered with a rag behind the press to rest the primer tube on rather than letting it hit the stop.

Thanks wbbh. I don't like the Hornady mainly because there is no primer depth setting. It's all done by feel, so you get primers set at different depths. It's just not a good design. The Dillon sets the primers at the same depth every time as long as you keep the primer cup clean. I'm hoping the RCBS is the same way.

Sam Millard of panhandle precision swears by the rcbs bench mounted system
    thumbs2.gif

Reactions: wbbh
    Everything I need to do/am willing to do when fabricating my ammunition can be done by my RL550. I don't use the automatic powder drop (an RCBS Powder Pro Lite, instead), but otherwise, that's it.

I sacrifice some for the sharper edges of ultimate accuracy, but with my equipment and my skills, most of that would be wasted anyway.

My ammo makes me smile and that's all it needs to do.

Greg

I have moved away from priming on my T7 turret press to hand tools. I have a 21sr century for large rifle primers and a K&M for small. Both are great, however if asked which I prefer I would go for the 21st century. Feels more solid

+1 for RCBS hand primer, with shell holders. No problems, got it down pretty quick. I do all .y priming while watching TV.

p_749007452_2.jpg

Look at, "Holland's" optional kit for the RCBS priming tool. I use it and it works great and a great help for old fingers that don't like the hand held tools.

RCBS bench priming tool, its easy to use and I have complete confidence in it. I had a Forster co-ax priming tool (the stand alone one) that was unreliable enough that I threw it away.

p_749007452_2.jpg

Sucks

+1 for the Lee ...

have the sinclair hand tool, have the RCBS hand tool ... use the Lee the most ... or the co-ax press.

I just let my 550 do it. I use it as a “single” stage when loading precision rifle.

Not a bad idea, unfortunately I don’t have a shell plate for my 308 or magnum faces on my 550; just 223 and 9mm.

Not a bad idea, unfortunately I don’t have a shell plate for my 308 or magnum faces on my 550; just 223 and 9mm.

If you ever decided to do 45ACP, the shell plate is the same for it as 308.

Huh, didn’t know that. I have the 45 ACP conversion for my 550 that I’ve never used.

Reactions: Sheldon N