• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

what are you guys using for tough tactical combat pants?

Western.

Everything else is elitist snobbery.

I'm not entirely sure this is in your lane. But whatever. Real horsemen look beyond the bullshit and know what's up regardless of tack or dress.

+1 for the Kuhl's. They have great pockets and freedom of movement. "The Law" are the heaviest that I have and I reserve them for hard use. They are not my favorites because they are not as comfortable/breathable as the rest of their pants. I wear the "renegades" much more often because of the stretch. They hold up amazingly well, but the newer versions are lighter material than originals. Really hard to beat their stuff in hot environments. Absolute favorite are the "kords" They look downright stylish, rather than tactical, but still wear like comfortable jeans.

Another plus for the Kuhl's
I know a shitload of people, myself included, who swear by the Kuhl Radikal's, only pant you need. Has stretch panels everywhere like the crye G3 pants, material is thin and strong, havent ripped a pair yet. Worn them all over the world, comfy as shit. They make plenty of other good pants but the Radikal is most similar to a Crye style tactical pant.

Other than the kuhls I wear stretchy ass Lee blue jeans cause they are cheap and fairly tough.

Last edited:
The pair of Duluth fire hose pants I have....fabric and pockets are great, the skinny small belt loops suck.

Reactions: NateSavannah
Kuhls are tough but stain easily. My only complaint. Very comfortable and wear extremely well. Not cheap though.

Ive got 2 speeds with pants. My magpul Tactical Yoga Pants, they look like regular khakis or gray pants that are stretchy and wicking. and if i need something more hardy, i got with a set of old school military bdus. the ol military surplus store has endless pairs for 20-50 a piece. Last time I went I got a decent pair of brand new hundred fitty dollar plus pants for something like 40.

Kind of a hipster brand, but Fjallraven Vidda Pro's have been great for some of the mountaineering I've done. Breathable, durable, and fit better than any other pants I've tried.

I am a fan of both BlackHawk and 5.11, whichever is on sale when I am looking. Recently picked up some 5.11 jeans when my Levis finally gave in (wont be buying any more Levi's with their anti 2A stance) and so far I am pleased with 5.11 jean quality.

Not tactical, but I bought a pair of Wrangler Riggs carpenter pants that are ripstop for working outside during the summer. Enough flex, plenty tough, and breathable for $35.

Anyone else wonder how the hell the horse is going to make that jump?

He'll make it.

1599670356248.png

What kind of tough tactical combat are we doing? I’m going with wranglers

Wranglers were my very favorites until they switched over to that stretchy comfort material which falls down as I wear it. No more.

At Tractor Supply found some Blue Mountain pants, very similary to Wranglers......only $12 a pair, to boot. Don't know how they'll stand up to crotch rot and hard work stretching yet, but for $12 I'm a happy camper.

Wear them to church, wear them to the shooting range, don't even need to change!!!

Another plus for the Kuhl's
I know a shitload of people, myself included, who swear by the Kuhl Radikal's, only pant you need. Has stretch panels everywhere like the crye G3 pants, material is thin and strong, havent ripped a pair yet. Worn them all over the world, comfy as shit. They make plenty of other good pants but the Radikal is most similar to a Crye style tactical pant.

Other than the kuhls I wear stretchy ass Lee blue jeans cause they are cheap and fairly tough.
I worked at a local outdoor store here for a bit and got Kuhl’s for a big discount, something like half off. Ended up with a dozen various styles of their pants over a year and a half. Some were light weight and breathable some thick and heavy. Wore through every last pair in a few years, although I did wear them pretty much every day at work. They were comfy and the DWR was nice while it lasted, but they don’t last as long as Carhartts.

I found these Dickies Tactical cargo shorts at a discount store and kinda laughed as to what exactly made these ‘tactical’, as everyone overuses the term now. Well I bought them and when I tried them on at home I discovered they had this inner expanding elastic waistband on the sides. I had an Ahh Ha monent! Aside from all the cool pockets/compartments, the side expansion allowed for IWB concealed carry! Accomodated my full size berretta very nicely! I was pleased to find they have pants too so I ordered a few pairs. Really liking the tough, stretch ripstop fabric and the hidden pockets/ notch on side pocket for your clippy knife and longer narrow mag pockets. Highly recommend. Plus the misses says they make my butt look good ;)

I have been using Midway USA’s tactical pants for years, in black because I find all the dirt and any grease/tar that can be on a PRS range. Inexpensive, wear well, good storage, has elastic built in for winter gear.
Just my 2 cents

Interesting replies as most of my pants and shorts are either Kuhl, Duluth or 5.11. Kuhls have every body build from skinny to not so skinny, Duluth literally has so many combinations, but they all work. For competitive shooting I really like the Duluth with some stretchiness in it. Seems to be a good compromise as it wears better than stretchy material I have found. YMMV

Crye G3 Combats and All-Weather Field pants and Triple Aught Design Force 10 Cargo pants. I'm wearing each pair of pants for a week before rotating. Had a pair of SORDs that didn't last long. You get what you pay for I suppose.

If you want CRYE pants, but dont want the CRYE fit that seems to be made for small asian children, find some issue OCP trousers.

They can be had for <100$ on ebay; just make sure you get the ones with the CRYE knee insert.

eta - SKD made some 'enhanced' BDU pants in multiple colors a few years back. They are nothing special as far as features, but there is something with the material they are made of that doesn't allow the pant fabric to rip. Almost feels like it has some sort of waxed material in it or something, but you can't feel it when wearing them. Too bad theyre not made anymore as I'd be curious what the deal is with them as the 2 pais I have are just different than other pants, yet the tag just says they are the usual ripstop NYCO.

Rail riders.
Not tactical looking, technical design. I like the extreme adventure pants. The material is absolutely the toughest stuff I have ever worn, it washes easily and dries very fast.
cons; pockets are way too deep, can’t reach your change. Watch belt loop sizes, the owner is not primarily a gun guy.

Hi, I don't no what breaking the bank would be, But I purchased Kitanica Gen2 Pants, Khaki, Ranger Green and Black, these pants are so well made and tough, they have 13 pockets two large ammo dump pouches in rear, molle webbing on left side, (I don't work for them) They are just great pants and fit well. I also have a original set of Tiger Stripe Fatigues, a set of EDL'S or edr (can't remem.) but they look like a Wood Land Pattern but made better, (1968) and I just bought a pair of the new camo pattern pants.

I like 5.11 Stryker pants, but feel the magazine pockets, inside of the cargo pockets are too short, I would like to have pockets that fit 30 rd Magpul's. Blackhawk light weight tacticals are nice with lots of pockets, but the mag holders in the cargo pockets are for pistol or subgun mags. Real GI spec Army Combat Uniform pants are very durable and are flame resistant and insect repellent, with very good pockets, I like these features! But, you have to like camo. Another feature I need is knee pad pockets, all of the above have them.

I have worn the Tru Spec 24-7 expedition pant. Works at range, 3 gun, PRS and decent pant to hunt in. Has vents, good pocket organization and plenty of room. Are lighter weight than the firehose pant. Can get them at Galls on sale sometimes for $75.

Mate ... 2 pages and no love for Carhartt cargos? I'm a foreigner so I also like Prana and other pansy outdoor brands but seriously ...

I really like Duluth Trading Company Flex Fire Hose Cargo Pants better than the Carhartt Cargos

Beyond clothing A9 Mission pant is similar to Crye pants and a little cheaper. Still not $100 cheap though.

Reactions: whisper35
CWU 27/P NOMEX® Flight Suit. I wear this for 3 gun and "run and gun" competition. Don't have to worry about pants falling down, dirt or crap going down pants when crawling, no shirt flapping around, etc.
1601831559801.png DSCN3673.JPG DSCN3674.JPG

Reactions: 308pirate
I’m a huge fan of my Wranglers, but I totally get the OPs need for something more specific to his application. Wranglers don’t fill the bill for everything.
You watch your mouth Sir!

• Haha
Reactions: lash
Ripstop pants in 95 DPM.
I've had some for years, nice and baggy so the goolies don't overheat.
Still got others I've never even taken out of my kit bag.
Plus gaiters, snake season is fast approaching.

Beyond clothing A9 Mission pant is similar to Crye pants and a little cheaper. Still not $100 cheap though.

Almost forgot about Beyond. I had a pair of Utilitys that I gave to a friend. I'm hard to find pants for, needing a small waist and long inseam. They were great while I had them OCONUS though

Have to go with Wranglers.
Pants with diagonal front pockets will let things fall out when sitting in a deep chair or couch.
Pockets on cargo pants are too far down to get anything out of them from the bottom unless you bend to retrieve and their flaps are usually velcro which are a pain!

Prana Zion pants. I’ve had them for years. Hiking, camping, backpacking, competition and everyday wear. Best $80 on pants I’ve ever spent. They are still going strong with no holes, rips, or tears.

Looking for some advice. I am 6’1 and gave big legs and a big butt. I have some 511 but if I lift my leg my ass hangs out. Need some more room in the crotch and posterior 😊. Leaning toward Kuhl -suggestions?