• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What are you stocking up on?

I make my own candles. Votive cups (glass) from the Dollar store, a couple of blocks of wax and some wicks. Takes about an hour to make 12-24.
Brilliant idea!

Actually, you could just buy the raw materials cheaply and sit on them. Then you could make them when needed using an outdoor fire or gas grill. Have a few on-hand to bridge the gap, and plenty of wax and wick if/when TEOTWAWKISHTFWROL happens.

Reactions: camocorvette
I make my own candles. Votive cups (glass) from the Dollar store, a couple of blocks of wax and some wicks. Takes about an hour to make 12-24.
Cool, thats a good way as well sir. I got the extended burn time 6-7 hour ones for 16.99 per 200. Was convenient for the money imo. Will use a few here and there and replace along the way.

Could be used for a wide variety of purposes.

Every once in awhile a family member or friend asks me to make them. It's really simple and doesn't take much time at all. It's finding the votive cups that is the issue. When I find the right cups at the Dollar store, I usually buy everything they have.

Word of warning, don't buy the cups that are wider on top than on the bottom. I try to find the cups that are more like a cylinder.

These are what I like to use, but I've only found them once and I kept them for me. I may melt them because the wicks are probably undersized.

cup.jpg

They are 5 inches tall and can burn for 12 or more hours.

Brilliant idea!

Actually, you could just buy the raw materials cheaply and sit on them. Then you could make them when needed using an outdoor fire or gas grill. Have a few on-hand to bridge the gap, and plenty of wax and wick if/when TEOTWAWKISHTFWROL happens.
Better to make them ahead of time when things like a stove and time are readily accessable. Plus it takes less space to store the completed candles then to store the jars and wax separetly.

In a conversation with a couple people someone brought up the subject of putting some things up for tough times. Someone said that they were not worrying with that shit. Besides, they said, I can always go to Yankee's place. I looked them in the eyes and said, Don't you think I have already thought about that and prepared for it? A awkward silence for a few seconds and the conversation went on.

In a conversation with a couple people someone brought up the subject of putting some things up for tough times. Someone said that they were not worrying with that shit. Besides, they said, I can always go to Yankee's place. I looked them in the eyes and said, Don't you think I have already thought about that and prepared for it? A awkward silence for a few seconds and the conversation went on.
I had to have that talk with a couple acquaintances when we still lived in CA. Told them in no uncertain terms what it would take for them to be accepted if they showed up.

Only 3 people know they are welcome here at our place in AZ.

Only my kids are invited. No sisters, no aunts or uncles, no nieces or nephews. Nobody.

I won't even open the door to talk to them.

Reactions: Mater2009
Every once in awhile a family member or friend asks me to make them. It's really simple and doesn't take much time at all. It's finding the votive cups that is the issue. When I find the right cups at the Dollar store, I usually buy everything they have.

Word of warning, don't buy the cups that are wider on top than on the bottom. I try to find the cups that are more like a cylinder.

These are what I like to use, but I've only found them once and I kept them for me. I may melt them because the wicks are probably undersized.

View attachment 7532086

They are 5 inches tall and can burn for 12 or more hours.

This candled burned for almost 40 hours straight. I am amazed. That was a brand new candle with no burn time and it burned that long. I guess I won't be changing the size of the wick. WOW, I am very surprised.

Reactions: Ravenworks
I have a few of those 3-wick 100+ hour candles. Really lights up a room, like light you can read by.

Reactions: camocorvette
I've got a springer that is rated at 1,100 fps. With the right pellet it will go through 3/4" plywood at 30 yds.
Yep the springers and pumps are a much better setup for SHTF then the CO2 ones. I have one of each. Putting money towards pellets instead of CO2 cartridges is a better way to prep.

Reactions: OldSalty2
Bought 22LR in March whenever I saw it, and stocked up on on reloading components to last a good two years if I kept shooting the way I did. I have almost stopped shooting, and won’t shoot much until I can get more primers

Yall are dumb

You need numbers or your gonna get overran

Some people bring skills with them also

My kids are not battle ready to say the least. I have 3 entryways into my house. The most vulnerable is the garage door. The other 2 doors can be defended pretty easy. I don't have enough food for a very large group. However the water situation is the determining factor. I think if everyone was honest with themselves, they'd admit they don't have enough water available for a situation like this.

My kids are not battle ready to say the least. I have 3 entryways into my house. The most vulnerable is the garage door. The other 2 doors can be defended pretty easy. I don't have enough food for a very large group. However the water situation is the determining factor. I think if everyone was honest with themselves, they'd admit they don't have enough water available for a situation like this.
The joys of mountain spring water.

Reactions: Codiekfx400
i broke down and overpaid for a case of m80.
i could have gotten it $20 cheaper if it was in stock at the ammo store (still almost double pre-covid prices).
but them i would have to wait a couple hours in line....

unfortunately, this is only 5 trips to the range at the most, if i shoot real slowly, lol.

You failed already if you are reduced to defending the doors. A molotov cocktail to your roof and you are dead.

Those of you discussing candles; Go to your local antique shop and pick up a few oil lamps. They always have tons of “ugly” ones that the antiquing crowd doesn’t want and they haven’t been able to sell for cheap, around here I can get the “ugly” ones for $10, and “pretty” ones for $25-30.

I have a bunch because my house is on the end of a very short electrical supply route. Every time some drunk whacks a telephone pole with their car or we have a major storm, they reroute power to larger markets and we end up without power (sometimes up to 10-14 hours). Store a few gallons of smokeless oil and a few extra rolls of wick in the basement, and you’re good to go for months of emergency lighting capability.
We use our lamps 4-5 times a year, and they’re very fuel efficient. I haven’t had to fill them in two years at least.
1611280065384.jpeg

Those of you discussing candles; Go to your local antique shop and pick up a few oil lamps. They always have tons of “ugly” ones that the antiquing crowd doesn’t want and they haven’t been able to sell for cheap, around here I can get the “ugly” ones for $10, and “pretty” ones for $25-30.

I have a bunch because my house is on the end of a very short electrical supply route. Every time some drunk whacks a telephone pole with their car or we have a major storm, they reroute power to larger markets and we end up without power (sometimes up to 10-14 hours). Store a few gallons of smokeless oil and a few extra rolls of wick in the basement, and you’re good to go for months of emergency lighting capability.
We use our lamps 4-5 times a year, and they’re very fuel efficient. I haven’t had to fill them in two years at least.
View attachment 7534034

Have a few, like them very much. Lamp oil seems harder to find these days.

But if you know a good source please share...

Have a few, like them very much. Lamp oil seems harder to find these days.

But if you know a good source please share...
Just local antique shops. Northern IL/Southern WI seem to be full of them. Didn’t realize they were tough to find. I’ve got ~10 scattered around my house I’ve snagged in the last 2-3 years. My wife makes me pay for the “pretty” ones though. 😂
I just order oil on Amazon.
Can’t find my order, but pretty sure this is what I use.
Sterno 30644 Liquid Paraffin Lamp Oil, Single, Clear https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TYR8HGY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_3oJcGbM0EPTCG

Just local antique shops. Northern IL/Southern WI seem to be full of them. Didn’t realize they were tough to find. I’ve got ~10 scattered around my house I’ve snagged in the last 2-3 years. My wife makes me pay for the “pretty” ones though. 😂
I just order oil on Amazon.
Can’t find my order, but pretty sure this is what I use.
Sterno 30644 Liquid Paraffin Lamp Oil, Single, Clear https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TYR8HGY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_3oJcGbM0EPTCG

Whew, 25 bucks a gallon...ouch!

I probably have 6 oil lamps, but no oil...lol. and at 25 a gallon, idk...

Whew, 25 bucks a gallon...ouch!

I probably have 6 oil lamps, but no oil...lol. and at 25 a gallon, idk...
Yeah, I didn’t pay that much the last time I ordered a few gallons. 😂
Like I said, haven’t filled my lamps in a few years.

Reactions: OldSalty2
Candles and lamps are great, but here's an alternative...

A few years ago I gave winter a big FU and headed to Central America. I didn't want to think about frozen pipes and cracked vintage instruments, so I installed a propane tank and some vent free heaters. They're great because they don't rely on electricity, but I also put in a propane lamp to try out.

It's AWESOME! It gives off a little heat, and when the power goes out it just makes a person happy.

That was phase 1. When I put in some more heaters I'm definitely getting more lamps.

They're not so great in the summer because they give off heat. But it's also not dark much in the summer.

I noticed BIC lighters mentioned and yes I have some. Another option for home use is a grill lighter, NEON brand that is refillable and a can of Ronson butane. These lighters can be refilled dozens of times from 1 can of butane. I have one that is 3 years old and is still going.

Bought 22LR in March whenever I saw it, and stocked up on on reloading components to last a good two years if I kept shooting the way I did. I have almost stopped shooting, and won’t shoot much until I can get more primers
What kind of primers do you need?
I have all kinds and I am willing to help a new shooter out.