• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

What are you wearing under your ACU/BDU?

slothlacrosse

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 19, 2010
CENTCOM
I don't mind sweating... I just hate being sweaty 2 hours after the fact.

I've tried a handful of shirts/briefs/shorts, but I'd like some feedback before I throw any more money at the problem.

What I need is something that dries quickly. I know what manufacturers claim but I would like some field reviews.

It's 90°-100° but the real bitch has been the humidity (hovering around 50% as of late).

Nothing. Seriously, skivvies are a warming layer. In the warm months I don't bother with an undershirt or shorts. When the temp drops I break out merino wool.

UNDERARMOR!!!!

It's the only shit that wicks away the sweat keeping you from hypothermia. Sweating in the field, being too warm is a BAD idea --better to be slightly cold and dry so when movement starts you aren't smoked and blowing steam 100m into the rush. Trust me, happened to me, wore polypro under BDU's, it was cold as balls that morning, but when we ran full balls to the wall through the jungle for over a mile with the SAW, trust me, I was SOAKED. Last time I did that. Seriously thought I might die after that.

I use a thin polypro they sell that's not nearly as hot. You can still move about in cold weather. Note this shit was actually designed to be worn under the GORETEX shit, not the BDU's. Most folks don't know that, that you are supposed to strip the BDU completely off when you resort to ECWS or cold weather gear and put the Goretex right over the polypro.

Thick polypro always went in the ruck, but seldom used. Maybe for a sleeping shirt to ward off pneumonia in the fartsack while my other stuff dried out, but that's about it for me personally.

But bottom line is day to day the Underarmor (and Clothing and Sales has 'em cheap, tight fitting --real tight fitting-- which you want for them to work right, and in the right color) is what you want. Shirts mostly, the long johns are up to you IMO. Not bad to have a pair in the ruck though. Always be prepared with that shit in Ziploc bags.

Any nylon or polyester works great as it will wick moisture and dry rapidly. Thin when hot, thick when cold. Never use cotton next to the skin unless you want to stay wet; uncomfortable when hot and dangerous when cold. For the synthetics the brand only matters for fit; fibers are the same