• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report What cartridge has the best ballistics...?

One_Man

Private
Minuteman
Jul 6, 2009
Selma, Texas
I am wondering what cartridge boast the best ballistics that can be compared to a .308 meaning it achieves better ballistic efficiency with regards to recoil, velocity, and high BC bullets?

.260 Rem, 6.5x47 Lapua, .243AI, 6mm BRX, 7mm-08, etc?

Re: What cartridge has the best ballistics...?

Well look at the .50 Cal BC and you'll find its a great round.

they all compare, some are closer to the 308 than others. The 6.5 is a better bullet in my opinion. So is the 7mm.

I have a 7-08 and I am wanting a 6.5 rifle. The 243AI stomps all the ones you had listed as far as speed and BC. But the payoff is lower barrel life.

The 308 is popular because of military and law enforcement use.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Parkincense</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> compared to a .308 meaning it achieves better ballistic efficiency with regards to recoil, velocity, and high BC bullets? </div></div>

6.5 and .260 meets your requirements pretty well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArifJDH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well look at the .50 Cal BC and you'll find its a great round. </div></div>

Good job reading the OP's question.

I think that for the .308 case capacity, it's a tossup betwen the .260 and 7-08. The .260 gets better LR match bullets, the 7-08 has a better selection of factory hunting loads.

While I respect the other cartridges, I consider them more as niche cartridges than mainstream.

For the .30-'06 case, the original is quite good, and I think the .270 and .280 are most efficient. The .280 has better LR match bullets available, and the .270 is probably one of the most popular hunting calibers available.

As an effective 'whatever'-stopper, the .260 is my all around choice; with the .30-'06 being held in reserve for when I mean to do it with more extreme prejudice. When I'm ready to rumble, my Garand does my talking for me. When it's not quite a rumble, but still definietly a ruckus, the .260 is quite adequate to the task.

Greg

6.5, 7mm, 30 cal. In that order. My second rifle will be a 264 win mag. Barrel life isn't the best, but performance is ridiculous! And if I knew then what I know now my first rifle would have been a 7mm mag and I would not even own a 308. I currently have a 280 rem being built now. Its a lightweight hunting rig I plan to use for deer and possibly elk. I can't wait to get some handloads made up and see if I can push those 150 VLDs @ 3000fps. Personally I felt that if I can achieve close to that velocity that was the best medium to big game caliber given the BCs of the 7mm projectile. But that's my opinion and its concerning a hunting rifle. For punching steel it would depend on distance you want to shoot. Further than 1k 338LM all the way. Inside that you have a ass load of excellent calibers to choose from. That's where personal preference comes in when you consider recoil, barrel life, reloading components, and more. But like I said before I can't wait to get started on a 264 win mag. If barrel life is further down on your list check it out!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shot In The Dark</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArifJDH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well look at the .50 Cal BC and you'll find its a great round. </div></div>

Good job reading the OP's question. </div></div>

Look at his post count, he must want to sell something.

I have a pair of Ruger MKI's chambered for .280 Rem. They are a sporter and a relatively rare varmint.

They both shoot Hornady Custom 139gr SST hunting loads very nicely, and I'm currently in an on-again, off-again load development project for the Varmint gun using 120gr Nosler Ballistic Tips and H-4350. All loads shoot OK, some better, still working on finding the best one. Anything a 139SST won't anchor is way more animal than I'd ever want to be shooting at.

For high energy performance, the .280 is about as much gun as I believe I'd ever need. I'm using it instead of the essentially identical MKI M77 .30-'06 for this deer season. For target shooting at KD ranges, flat is less important than for hunting at estimated distances.

Shooting a 6.5 with more capacity then a .260 is simply too much of a good thing, in my humble opinion.

For .30cal, same opinion about the .30-'06.

More case capacity is something that's only superior in a limited range of applications. Such a rifle just wouldn't warrant enough usage to justify its existence in my relatively minimalist, frugal personal collection (which still manages to fill two steel gun cabinets, including .22LR's and a handful of shot/slug guns).

I'd rather have fewer guns that have broader utility than a smattering of everything, with many only getting cursory individual attention.

Greg

Greg you have a way with words. I always enjoy reading your posts. Definitely one of the better resources here!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BrettSass844</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Greg you have a way with words. I always enjoy reading your posts. Definitely one of the better resources here! </div></div>

29dg6m9.jpg

Nah I was just throwing in randomn sarcasm to the guy's post. I'll make sure to put sarcasm tags at the end of them.

Trust me I don't want to sell shit.

Out of the cartridges listed, the .243/6mm are hard to beat.

I always appreciate a compliment; and thank you, all other viewpoints aside.

I talk too much. It's a flaw and I recognize that.

Lately I find myself reserving comment in a lot of instances where I feel others may have a better perspective, or more right to make the comment than myself. Sometimes I just feel that if I add to the negativity, I haven't really done anyone any service.

And sometimes I remind myself of the times I've been banned for getting out of line, and I bite my tongue. It still stings (as it still should) and I happen to like it here.

Greg

Seems to be a lot of lousy answers so far. Largely confusing 'cartridge' with 'bullet', and just dumping out a few favourite or familiar names.

I'd roll your definition into attaining highest consistency and best accuracy using optimal bullets and loadings, for a particular range.

That would make it the 6PPC for up to 300 meters, 6BR norma from 250 to 600 meters, 6.5-284 or 7mm RM or 300 WM 300 to 900 meters, 338LM from 500 to 1200 meters, 408 Cheytac from 700 to 2000 meters, artillery over 2000 meters. Upper end being approximately where an accurate loading would start to go transsonic.

There are lots of good options, I am a 6.5 fan due to the BC and low recoil. Love both the .260 Rem and the 6.5x47 Lapua though there is not a large difference between them.

Hey whats wrong with the .308? Get ya to a 1000 and a little farther maybe a lot farther. Seen guys at Rexburg Range shoot 1600 yds with .308 usally a 70% hit rate at that distance. (the steel plate is 18" by 18") I can launch the Berger 190 VLDs at 2654 FPS using RL-17 and if I use win cases I can get 2705 FPS but the bolt starts to stick...Just looked it up That load stays supersonic until 1550 yds

If you are going to mess with any 6mm stuff I would go to 6mmbr.com lots of info. Other than .308 sigh... I would go with .243 non ackley

I find myself using a lot of 1+ lately without much discussion.
So, 1+ for the 243. You can look at "over bored" calibers for technical data. It is not an "over bored" caliber and costs less to shoot in reloading components or factory ammo. If your new to reloading 243 is as easy to reload as a 308 just cheaper. Plenty of good target and hunting bullets available. Will go the distance 1k+ with fast twist barrels and BCs as high as 243AL. Can be loaded hot and flat shooting varmints (of all kinds)or at medium velocities have long barrel life.

What no one likes the Daisy red rider, if its good enuff for Ralphy then its good enuff for me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BrettSass844</div><div class="ubbcode-body">6.5, 7mm, 30 cal. In that order. My second rifle will be a <span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-weight: bold">6.5 win mag</span></span>. Barrel life isn't the best, but performance is ridiculous! And if I knew then what I know now my first rifle would have been a 7mm mag and I would not even own a 308. I currently have a 280 rem being built now. Its a lightweight hunting rig I plan to use for deer and possibly elk. I can't wait to get some handloads made up and see if I can push those 150 VLDs @ 3000fps. Personally I felt that if I can achieve close to that velocity that was the best medium to big game caliber given the BCs of the 7mm projectile. But that's my opinion and its concerning a hunting rifle. For punching steel it would depend on distance you want to shoot. Further than 1k 338LM all the way. Inside that you have a ass load of excellent calibers to choose from. That's where personal preference comes in when you consider recoil, barrel life, reloading components, and more. But like I said before I can't wait to get started on a <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #FF0000">6.5 win mag</span></span>. If barrel life is further down on your list check it out! </div></div>

What is a 6.5 Win Mag?

Do you actually mean 6.5 WSM (wildcat cartridge) or .264 Winchester Magnum? How about 6.5 Remington Magnum or the wildcat 6.5 Rem SAUM? If you can find a cartridge diagram please post a link to it!

Tuff question...

The 7mm projectiles these days are awesome... they pretty much beat .30 cals hands down when it comes to shooting heavy projectiles for its given case.