• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What did you do in the reloading room today?

Where there are components, there are no components. It is made into ammunition...
Don't be a naked brains...

Reactions: Modoc
Just finished getting the 221 Fireball set for the first round of load development. 3 bullets and two powders all new to me. I forgot how small those cases are! 🤩

The nice thing is that the max loads from Hodgdon top out just over 20 grains, so I’ll get some good mileage out of a keg.

The hard part is the fact that I’m having to treat the first two bullets like a unique wildcat because of the lack of load data.
Photos, or it didn't happen. 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: Modoc
Today I loaded some supersonic 8.6 Blackout loads in both brass and hybrid cases...for the 6.5 twist bolt gun, both lead and copper machined bullets. A lotta powder crammed into that small case...especially the hybrid has a bit more capacity. We'll see, the proof is in the shooting.

Reactions: MO Fugga
Just finished getting the 221 Fireball set for the first round of load development. 3 bullets and two powders all new to me. I forgot how small those cases are! 🤩

The nice thing is that the max loads from Hodgdon top out just over 20 grains, so I’ll get some good mileage out of a keg.

The hard part is the fact that I’m having to treat the first two bullets like a unique wildcat because of the lack of load data.
Here ya go... 221 fireball 20" barrel Sierra load data.

Attachments

• 20240314_234338.jpg
    20240314_234338.jpg
    595.6 KB · Views: 23
  • 20240314_234325.jpg
    20240314_234325.jpg
    498.5 KB · Views: 30
Yup. It’s a pain - haven’t made any more in about ten years. I have about 50 still at this point. I take .338LM brass that already has five or six firings, use a pipe cutter to cut it to length, run it through a die to take the taper out, cut the shoulder with a neck turner…not a fun process.
I use a Bridgeport mill and collet fixtures to cut to length, in one second...and neck turn in a Hardinge lathe with collets...lots easier than by hand. Made the cartridge gauge with the finish .510 whisper reamer.
Bought a barrel blank 510 1-10 twist, and a .510 whisper reamer

Attachments

• 20231114_175751.jpg
    20231114_175751.jpg
    456.5 KB · Views: 57
Yea, but you’ve got machining skills. I’ve got dumbass skills in the garage.

• Wow
Reactions: 45-90
Here ya go... 221 fireball 20" barrel Sierra load data.
I appreciate the photos, but none of my powders are listed. 🤷🏼. The wildcatting is for working with a newer lead free bullet that no one has admitted to using in the Fireball. I’m following the bullet manufacturer’s recommended procedures and see where the trail leads.

I appreciate the photos, but none of my powders are listed. 🤷🏼. The wildcatting is for working with a newer lead free bullet that no one has admitted to using in the Fireball. I’m following the bullet manufacturer’s recommended procedures and see where the trail leads.
Hornady has some load data
Yea, but you’ve got machining skills. I’ve got dumbass skills in the garage.
Yeah I been machining for a lifetime, as a job and a hobby, and machine tools are expensive and takes a while to acquire.

Always wish they would put more of the trades education in high-schools, like they used to, to give everyone the basics, who want to learn.
Because its much easier, when precision power tool are used.
I post those how to photos for informational purposes, and for those who might have access to machine tools.
Sorry ya got to do it the hard way.

So you have secret bullets and secret powders for the 221 Fireball?
What is the bullet and what powders do you have? Are they appropriate for this cartridge?
Doesn't the manufacturers have load data for it?
You can use lead bullet data as a guideline, but start low and work up, copper bullets have a higher start pressure, and are longer for the same weight, reducing case capacity in such a tiny case causing pressures to spike, just .2 tenths of a grain can put you over pressure.
Have fun, be careful.

Chamfered and debured 1000 cases of new Starline 223. Now I just need to run them all through the mandrel. I have been trying to get a load with 77smk for all 3 of my main AR's, but I think it's time to just call it on that one. I'm going to try the 73gr and 75gr Hornady hpbt and see how that shoots in my CLE precision AR and my new Craddock done Bart barrel with CLE chamber and see if I can get a load that both of them like a lot. My smk load was poping primers in my new barrel and I left my cleaning stuff at home so I didn't want to shoot too much without cleaning it to start out with anyway so, gonna take it down a half grain and try some other bullets while I'm at it.

Hornady Data for further extrapolation;
50800027-5D2E-46EE-BE60-A0F603954161.jpeg

408C95DC-FD4D-44FF-9AFE-3F8D300AE510.jpeg

D1F2E23D-D257-4E01-BE7A-4EE08A7BF433.jpeg

Reactions: sgtsmmiii
Chamfered and debured 1000 cases of new Starline 223. Now I just need to run them all through the mandrel. I have been trying to get a load with 77smk for all 3 of my main AR's, but I think it's time to just call it on that one. I'm going to try the 73gr and 75gr Hornady hpbt and see how that shoots in my CLE precision AR and my new Craddock done Bart barrel with CLE chamber and see if I can get a load that both of them like a lot. My smk load was poping primers in my new barrel and I left my cleaning stuff at home so I didn't want to shoot too much without cleaning it to start out with anyway so, gonna take it down a half grain and try some other bullets while I'm at it.

Are you using Starline 223 or 5.56 brass? The 223 line of brass has a lot less volume than the 5.56 (which is the same as Lapua).

Are you using Starline 223 or 5.56 brass? The 223 line of brass has a lot less volume than the 5.56 (which is the same as Lapua).
Yeah it's 223. It is a decent amount reduced from lapua for that reason(my load that is). I will probably get the 556 next time but I bought 1000 of these a while back and had a bunch of FC I was going to use for AR for a while before getting into the starline 223, (similar to starline 223 capacity), but the FC brass sucks so bad I'm just going to use it as hunting brass and only ever fire it once more and not police it. I hate that stuff.

I didn't know the 556 had the same capacity as lapua. That's good to know

Loaded yesterday fired today.
High velocity 8.6 Blackout loads from a 6.5 twist barrel rather than three limiting 3 twist Faxon.
Results 200 gr Speer with H335 reached 2604 fps.
Also tried with the 200 gr Speer 338 hot core.
AA 2495= 2451 fps
CFE223= 2572 fps
IMR 4198 = 2433 fps
2000MR = 2494 fps

Copper hornady GMX 225 gr cut down to 154 gr in lathe with collets.
H335 = 2788 fps.
One copper slug caught in plastic water jugs...it mushroomed nicely at that velocity.

Also fired some subs 300 berger 989 fps, with imr 4198 about 1.1" for 5 shots round group. 300 gr SMK with AA 1680 a vertical string, large velocity veriation at 100 yds.

Attachments

• 20240315_134814.jpg
    20240315_134814.jpg
    774.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 20240315_145046.jpg
    20240315_145046.jpg
    602.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 20240315_132856.jpg
    20240315_132856.jpg
    792.7 KB · Views: 14

AA-2200 is really good in the Fireball.
I'm still using Lil' Gun in mine with the 40 V-Max.

Cleaning my dies out of the accumulated lube and metal shavings with my new ultrasonic Christmas gift! Getting ready for another batch of .45ACP and 5.56 soon in the new year. Gotta get my ammo levels up for the Spring '21 Big Sandy.

Let is know
Ran a quick batch of 6.5 Creedmoor brass. Only 50 rounds, but it’s all I have time for right now. The upside, it works. Not a spec of brass shavings in the unit. There were some in there before I started. All gone. I have it hooked to the cheapest, smallest Bauer shop vacuum that Harbor Freight has to offer and it worked fine. Now for the downside. It is really loud. You have the noise from the trimmer, the vacuum, and the high pitched sound of the air rushing into the trimmer. It will absolutely require hearing protection.

Picture is after trimming the 50 rounds:
IMG_1510.jpeg

Reactions: Herb Stoner
I trim cases in the Bridgeport mill, & lever closing collet fixture, cut a half inch off a brass case in one second, like 30-06 to 8.6 Blackout, no sore fingers.

Reactions: afd77
Been shooting groups, 6BR with Berger 108's and VVN540 about 2775 ft/sec at 500 meters (547 yards) from prone, atlas, TAB rear bag. LP Fuzion, Bartlein 1-7", TT Diamond, in a AICS AXSR.

This target got blitzed from bullets hitting and exploding against the steel rail right behind the target--lesson learned--place target higher.
1710705663314.png

This was a target also from last week. This was the rainiest I've ever seen it at this range. Walking back from 500, the wind was blowing so hard at my back, my pants were completely soaked when I got back, like I sat down in a water puddle. It was awesome!
1710705898546.png

Shot this a couple days ago. Colored the tips of each round to see where each one hit. For the first four groups, I took some advice from Ryan Cleckner (spelling?) from Erik Cortina's podcast. Dry fire five perfect shots before shooting a group. I did that before each group and I think it helps.
1710705983466.png

Have four loads wet tumbled, two of those sorted and put away yesterday, two more to sort today and one more load for the wet tumbler. I’ll also start hand priming 9’s today for my daughters stock.

Deprimed and resized 350 spent 223 cases. Wet tumbled w/steel pins & dried, and then primed. All my reloads have been 55gr for my ARs and now going to begin reloading for my new bolt gun.
Will visit LGS tomorrow and look at their selection of larger grain bullets and start this learning journey of shooting heavier ammo.

Went kinda nuts on my Redding t7 project. Fabbed up a mount for it, added the Creedmoor sports turret head, and bushing kit, lobbed off the factory priming arm and re profiled/blended the front. Stripped all the powder coat and cerakoted everything graphite black

Attachments

• IMG_2845.jpeg
    IMG_2845.jpeg
    416 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_2848.jpeg
    IMG_2848.jpeg
    479.9 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_2850.jpeg
    IMG_2850.jpeg
    500 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_2851.jpeg
    IMG_2851.jpeg
    353.7 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_2852.jpeg
    IMG_2852.jpeg
    391 KB · Views: 47
Read this thread and complained that all my stuff is packed up while the house is for sale.

20240420_093054.jpg

Belom evidently crimps and seals thier 9mm primers.
This is why I deprime (or attempt too) on the Lee Processing press before putting them on the 550. I've never seen a primer stretch so far and not come out. I had to remove the shell holder and use a punch to flaten it back out to get the cases out of the shell holder. Then sort them all out.
The factory Belom shot well, but I'll be using the rest where it's a lost brass event. Not worth the headache.
400 practice rounds done. 4.0 gr Titegroup under 124gr FMJ.

Reactions: Anb618
Tested a bunch, 150 FMJ, 190 Sub-X, 220 Berry's. Need to step up velocity on the others. I appreciate all the help you guys provide!