• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What do you do when it's cold out?

Re: What do you do when it's cold out?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Creeping Death</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Got to go with a flask full of good ole bourbon. And a few packs of hand warmers. </div></div>

The handwarmers we kept for emergency, even at 67 below they barely work.

But open one up and toss it in teh bottom of a Type 3 at 40 or 50 below and you are comfy!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KingKong</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I dint mean oringinal fleece. Same what tad gear uses (google) Merino wool! thats what I meant!

Nowadays you can get hiking socks that breath just as well as Wool socks and fits much better. But i use (most of the time) these http://www.varusteleka.fi/pictures/1742.jpg
I fell in love whit thise while i was in defence forces (Jaeger Brigade). Maybe not the best choice but those works for me.

Netting underwear is nice to have. </div></div>

Ah yes, that explains it. Merino is very good, too bad it's so expensive. Will have to check out Tad gear, was looking for something to spend money on
wink.gif

Those socks are almost identical to a type we had(Jegerkompaniet
smile.gif
), are they made from a mixed blend? Always prefered a heavier all wool type we had, a grey sock with small masked knitting.

Go get yourself one of those back relief strips that you can get at the drugstore and stick it to the inside of your field jacket. If you get too hot, just peel and toss.

thinsulated glove mits,,, all I where on my hands when 0 to -30... Layers w/ under being anything with polypro, windshear shirt with weatherby wool coat over top of that... Keeps you warm on stand and really warm when dragging back the yotes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Meat_308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Go get yourself one of those back relief strips that you can get at the drugstore and stick it to the inside of your field jacket. If you get too hot, just peel and toss. </div></div>

A good trick that I have used for open bivouacs. I have also used saline boil back to start heat packs. Snap the disk in the saline and it crystallizes giving off heat for about 2-3 hours, then drop it in boiling water for a few minutes and back to normal. Obviously the more you use the pack the quicker is loses heat but for a week long trip, a couple of these work and go back to normal in the am when you boil your hot. Plus unlike normal iron heat packs, water does not effect them; stop working when wet use on snow.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sean the Nailer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Aer454</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Don't forget to bundle up the rest of your body. You lose a lot of your body heat out of your head and feet. Heavy wool socks, with a wool watch cap, bomber cap, or whatever to keep your head and ears warm. And a heavy vest along with everything else will keep your core warm. The less work your body needs to put into keeping the most important stuff warm (core) the more blood it will be willing to push out to keep your hands warm.</div></div>

So many people don't understand that concept, and it's worth repeating. Simple facts. </div></div>

Agreed! I work outside all year round in any conditions.
Base layers: I like Under-armor. (less bulky). Depending on how cold it is... Vests really help as a layer. I like them because it keeps my arms free. Good head gear and socks.

****Thinsulate gloves really help!****
I wear the thin cotton gloves undermine to help keep the wind from cutting in. Cold wind cuts like a knife!