• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What do you guys recommend for my first centerfire rifle.

zanemoseley

Private
Minuteman
Sep 6, 2014
I'm curious what you guys think. I live in Tennessee and have taken up smallbore 3p shooting. I'd like to get into longer range shooting soon. My budget would be low at about a grand and I'm looking for a lh action.

Should I just start out with a smaller centerfire like a 223 savage 12flv to get my feet wet up to 500 yds. Or should I go straight to a 308 or 260 that will be more capable up to 1000 yards. The 223 ammo would be cheaper but I'll probably reload either way.

I don't have a good place to shoot yet but am on the lookout. 1000 yard will be harder to find.

I shoot everything from a .17 to .50bmg. As I get older and have less free time, I find myself using a .220 swift (or 22-250), .243 or .260. These middleweight calibers generally use a necked down .308 case to push a bullet faster and flatter than a .308 All this with slightly less cost and much less recoil. Assuming you reload, a 22-250 or .220 swift outranges a .223, and a .243 or .260 carries a heavier round farther and bucks wind with it's better BC farther. I shoot weekly, mostly paper. About 3x/year I shoot prairie dogs, which are smaller targets and sometimes hard to range at distance.

I'd say go 308 but, don't expect to hit 1000 for a while.

308 is very versatile in that once you reload, M118LR's are definitely capable of 850-900.

Most off the shelf ammo is 750-800...Unless you're buying TAP but, at that point you're paying $1.50 more/round.

260 would also be a good choice down the road IMO, once you get the basics down...

Shooting out to 1000 is more/less a fox hunt.

I have a number of rifles ranging in caliber and price (including a nice custom). My local range is 300 yards, and I find myself always going back to my Savage Hog Hunter 223. Put it in a decent stock, something like a Choate, and you have < $700 rig. Shot steel well out to 700 yard using 69 SMK (ran out of scope adjustment). Competitive in my first FTR 300 yd match too. Since getting this about 1.5 years ago I have over 2000 rounds through it with no problems. Great caliber and rig for you to start with; and when you are ready to go longer to 1000 yards, just get the right barrel to run the heavy/high BC bullets and screw it on your self. By then you will know if you are serious enough to justify a "real" long-range rig, and more experienced to decide about other caliber options.

Bonjour dear monsieur,

I would say something not too expensive, not too heavy. Une Savage chambrée en 222/223 ou 6BR par exemple.

Get a 308 so you can shoot it besides replacing barrels. The 1k shots arent really realistic in real world scenarios. Sure, you can place a jug or a steel target out there and hit it in about 3-5 shots. Concentrate on 700 yards. I stick to 700 and under. 750-800 MAX with a 308. And most cartridges. If I cant dial my scope and hit it in 1 shot, its too far. I never got into the 1k+ craze. Ill take the 1 shot DING as opposed to the 3 shot DING.

"Ill keep shooting until I hit it." Not.

1 shot 1 kill rule. Keep it real.

Just my 2 cents.

308 for your first rifle. It will do most anything you want, with reasonably priced quality match factory ammo.