• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What do you guys think...

CK_32

Saving Ryans Privates
Minuteman
Jan 22, 2010
Ok so I did my first ladder test at 300 yards with my Remington 700 SPS tactical with my 175g SMK loads with varget in Winchester brass (Once fired)..

Problem is It didn't help any.. All of the groups are in clusters to me...

They all go vertical as the grain goes up..

I went from 39.0 to 45.5 in .5g increments... Didn't shoot 41.5 because the bolt wouldn't close on it.. Still no idea why..

Also I didn't see any pressure signs at all even at 45.5g's.

So here it is.. Whats some Input you can give me..

rhrntyn.jpg

And that's not shot shell holes.. that's from the rock behind my target show fragments back through the board on one bullet and knocked it over.. But I set the board in the exact same spot it was in..

Re: What do you guys think...

Nice shooting what kind of powder did you use ?

My best long range is 2.52" at 534 yards + - with IMR 4064

Looks to me like you have two holes next to each other right and the top, and then one below those two. Is this correct?

If so it looks like your starting to see a node around 45.0gr varget, which is common with the 175 smk.

If this is all correct and im seeing it right, then I would load up some more +/- around 45.0gr varget and do so more research.

Good work CK

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: winxp_man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice shooting what kind of powder did you use ?

My best long range is 2.52" at 534 yards + - with IMR 4064 </div></div>

Im using Varget powder.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks to me like you have two holes next to each other right and the top, and then one below those two. Is this correct?

If so it looks like your starting to see a node around 45.0gr varget, which is common with the 175 smk.

If this is all correct and im seeing it right, then I would load up some more +/- around 45.0gr varget and do so more research.

Good work CK </div></div>

Yea thats what I was thinking.. Since I havnt seen any pressure signs yet Im probably going to be able to get up to one of those 47g loads..

And thanks v.. A lot of this is in huge part to you and other SH members.

Edited picture..

Anyone else have any input?

When you do a ladder test you are supposed to ignore horizontal placement (windage) and look for tight vertical clustering. I draw 1" spaced lines across the target to help me decipher the data. I say you have two nodes, one at the low end and one at the high end. I would do it again with smaller powder increments, say 0.2 grains, between 44 and 45.5 grain. I will usually do it 3 times on 3 separate targets for repeatability.

I prefer to shoot groups trying to accomplish the same thing (just my personal preference). Reason being is that if you pull a shot or two, you may have seriously altered your results. I'd hate to have the results of my latter test rely completely on me being able to shoot every shot perfect (b/c I cannot).

However, there is typically a node around 43gr and 45gr (+/-) with varget and the 175SMK.

CK, after seeing your edited picture, I would say your rifle will shoot within the 45.0 grain area very well. I would not worry about going much higher, as it might just give you short brass life and not much extra.

Fine tune that load, and perhaps try OCW out to about 300. The OCW will confirm, especially if you pull shots.

Good work mate
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shadow4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I prefer to shoot groups trying to accomplish the same thing (just my personal preference). Reason being is that if you pull a shot or two, you may have seriously altered your results. I'd hate to have the results of my latter test rely completely on me being able to shoot every shot perfect (b/c I cannot).

However, there is typically a node around 43gr and 45gr (+/-) with varget and the 175SMK. </div></div>

Yea I feel like I might have pulled one or 2 of them..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flashhole</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When you do a ladder test you are supposed to ignore horizontal placement (windage) and look for tight vertical clustering. I draw 1" spaced lines across the target to help me decipher the data. I say you have two nodes, one at the low end and one at the high end. I would do it again with smaller powder increments, say 0.2 grains, between 44 and 45.5 grain. I will usually do it 3 times on 3 separate targets for repeatability. </div></div>

I know the windage part doesnt matter any.. And I think thats a good idea..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">CK, after seeing your edited picture, I would say your rifle will shoot within the 45.0 grain area very well. I would not worry about going much higher, as it might just give you short brass life and not much extra.

Fine tune that load, and perhaps try OCW out to about 300. The OCW will confirm, especially if you pull shots.

Good work mate
smile.gif
</div></div>

Yea I just read up on that and was looking to try that.