• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

What do you have in your case/ What's needed

jjwheeler2

Private
Minuteman
Feb 9, 2013
Utah
I'm just starting out with longer range shooting and I'm trying to setup a pelican case so I can just grab and go.

So what I am wondering is what should be in the case.

Rifle of course. 338 lapua Remington XCR
How much ammo? 100-200 rounds?
How many mags?
Compact spotting scope? Thinking Razor 11-33 in the case and a maybe a bigger one with a separate case.
Rangefinder
Data book - tablet?
Anything else?

cleaning rod, brushes, jags, solvent, oil, patches. Sling. A small tool kit consisting of allen wrenches you would need. A torque wrench for action screws and scope cross bolts. Krestel. Rear bag.

Keep in mind that there is more than one usable layer of foam in a pelican case. Anything that is soft can be stored under the rifle in the bottom layer of foam. I store my rear bag in a spot under the butt stock of my rifle. I store a torque wrench, oil and solvent under the box that has the allen wrenches and jags in it.

Also, closed cell foam is expensive, but well worth the money. It is much easier to work with and much higher quality than the open cell foam that comes with the cases. Both of my rifle cases are open cell right now, but I have done a bunch of pistol cases in closed cell and have the closed cell foam bought for when my custom .260 is finished. Either way, the foam will cut much cleaner with a hot wire cutter than it will with a knife. I mark the foam with chalk and then wipe the chalk off with a damp rag when finished. You want a fairly snug fit with open cell foam, and a fairly loose fit with closed cell foam. remember to stay away from the edges (at least 1" with open cell-- 3/4" with closed cell) and don't let large items get close together inside the case or they will contact if the case is dropped. I let my scopes float in the case. I want the rifle supported and if the case is dropped I want the rifle to take the brunt of the fall...not the scope. Also, you want the scope facing up when the case is being carried by the handle. Otherwise the scope will be on the bottom if you ever drop the case.

If you plan to fly you will want to check regulations. Some (if not all) airlines do not allow the rifle and ammo to be in the same case. Also, some airlines will want to check the serial number and you will have a lot fewer ignorant people handling your rifle if you have it in the case with the serial number showing. I don't fly with my rifle, so I didn't worry about either of these.

These are older pictures, but you get the idea. Both scopes are now floating as well as the bipod area. Be sure to allow enough room to leave a mag in the rifle. I did not do so on the rifle in the AICS chassis. Also, once you have the foam like you want it...use contact cement or 3M aerosol adhesive to glue the two bottom pieces of foam together. It will make it much easier to get the rifle in and out. The case with the AICS was my first one and was cut mostly with a knife. The case with the CZ was cut with a homemade hot wire foam cutter and you can easily tell the difference.

Borka Tool Set.... Never go anywhere with out it, dam thing is so amazing!

OK, I was already ordering the closed foam as I don't like the open cell that came with the case.

You made a good point about the ammo and I'll just setup another case for it but I will have mags in the case that can be loaded if I'm just staying local.

I wasn't planning on a rear bag as I have a mono pod, but shooting the other day showed me that a bag still has it's place. So I will add one under the stock.

That Borka kit looks like a good setup. Has all the bits that could be needed. So I'll add one of them.

A kestrel is on the list to get but it is a little ways off due to the price. So I'll make sure to leave a space for it.

Here is what is in my shooting pack:

- Hearing and eye protection (I keep several extra sets of cheap earplugs in there, just in case someone shows up without their own - happens more often than I'd wish)
- Databook, notebook, and pens
- Sharpie marker
- Leatherman MUT multitool
- Borka tool set
- Kestrel
- AAA batteries (spares for the Kestrel and electronic earmuffs)
- Spotter
- Rangerfinder
- Two extra mags
- Three-piece cleaning rod (not used for cleaning, but handy if a case gets stuck)
- Rear bag

My bulky, garage-sale tripod gets strapped to the outside of my padded shooting mat.

Target stuff (steel, hanging material and fasteners, paper targets, stapler, etc.) all get tossed in a Rubbermaid container, along with a cardboard box containing my ammo boxes. I normally shoot 50-100 rounds in a session, but end up bringing 3-5x that amount because... ?

If you are leaning to tactical or a hunting side I would say go as lean and lowtec as possible (with the exception of your ballistic calculator and scope) I see too many guys fumbling around with iphones that freeze, Kestrels that are out of batteries, new tripods that break ect. NOT saying that those things have no place, but when starting out use simplicity, test what others have and really see what you need before you go lugging around a 70 case.
Some things I use are a otis kit, either caliber specific or a general kit that has what you need, then strip all the dump stuff out. I took acetate paper, a clear peice of plastic paper thin, you can duck tape it or paint it if you are worried about shine, one big enough for your obj lens and one for youe occular lens, really helps with keeping rain off you glass. better than a honey comb.
A simple paper data book, make sure it has the essential info blocks, I have one just incase my atrag goes down. Technology is made to fail, and fail when needed most. Tourqe wrenches as others have said.
I like to put rubbar bands on every part of my gun so if I need to veg up they are already thier. And some good garden sheers if you plan on cutting vegitation to be sneaky.
Think of ways to improvise if something breaks, use backups. if your bipods snap off will you have a spare in your pack or do you have small dowl rods?