• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What do you prefer for mounting muzzle devices? Rocksett, Loctite, ?

What do you prefer for mounting muzzle devices?

• Rocksett

Votes: 40 56.3%
  • Loctite 272

Votes: 22 31.0%
  • Other

Votes: 12 16.9%

• Total voters
Geez fella. You really can't see the critical thinking failure there?

If you want to get pedantic and technical, Machinery's handbook states "plastic movement of material", which is exactly what happens with the nylon lock patch. It does NOT say "plastic movement of steel", which seems to be your interpretation.

Beyond that, I said "function as an interference fit". Do you know what "function as" means, or do you need that defined for you? It's not the same as "is".

The nylon lock patch does not make the threads "dirty", and it does not just get wiped around the threads like Thread Pirate said; it deforms to fit the threads but stays put and forces the threads to one side, creating higher metal to metal friction on that side. If it were to get wiped off and spread around the threads (usually from excessive use), then it fails to do its job correctly at that point. The type of pre-applied patch that does wipe around the threads by design is a completely different type of material, and works through a completely different mechanism, being adhesive rather than just something wedged between the male and female threads.

I ran fastener testing for one of the largest truck manufacturers in the country for several years, and am intimately familiar with what the pre-applied nylon patches do and don't do. They aren't used on precision threads for good reason, which I hoped would be evident from my comments but apparently not to everyone.

What's even your point here? Just to defend the biggest dickhead on snipershide? Some of you turkeys that like to jump to Thread Pirate's defense could do better to pay attention to the stupid crap he actually says, and his method of crapping all over threads to derail them.
1660653688344.gif

I'm a pro at getting suppressors stuck on their muzzle devices. I can't fathom just using torque instead of a thread locker on a muzzle device and not having it spin off with the suppressor. When you have a suppressor get heavily carbon'd up and it locks onto it's taper adapter it's stronger than the back end of the muzzle device seated against a square shoulder. Chances are you most definitely will have to use a strap wrench to remove the suppressor and you will overcome the torque you used to mount the muzzle device. Thunderbeast's recommendation for a stuck suppressor is to use loctite on the brake adapter to the barrel, let it dry overnight, and then strap wrench the suppressor off the brake. What's that tell you?

I also have gotten suppressors stuck on KeyMo brakes and had to strap wrench the suppressor off the brake. The tough part about KeyMo brakes is they should "probably" be timed. So you're using shims. In this case the amount of torque you use is dependent on how much you crush the shims and where the 12 o'clock ends up being. You can't just blindly use 60lbs of torque and expect it to clock up correctly. This is when you use a thread locker to keep the brake on.
One reason I got the 419 Hellfire adapters and mount. Suppressor mount to adapter are reverse threads while the adapter to barrel are normal. Seems to work well

Or you could just not use an adapter when you don't need to and then you don't have to worry about it
And possibly be like the fella who galled the threads on his barrel and posted about it recently? It seems to be sensible to possibly trash an adapter than the muzzle threads.

Cheers

BESTEST THREAD EVAR!

instructions on Rocksett.
insults on interference fittings.

Rocksett. Every time. Clean the threads, apply Rocksett, torque it to spec, let sit for 24hrs. Done. Removal is easy... just soak the muzzle end of the gun in water for a few hours and it comes right off.

BESTEST THREAD EVAR!

instructions on Rocksett.
insults on interference fittings.

And it apparently started with a throwaway joke about Magpul MLOK screws. So, pretty much a normal Hide thread.