• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What do you store your stick in?

Austincqc

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 5, 2010
TX, USA
I've had my stick resting on some old clothes on a shelf in my closet for a while and now that I'm almost done building her up, I need a case for storage and travel. I doubt I will do any flying with my rifle, so for now road trips to and from the lease or distant ranges are my definition of "travel."

My OAL is only about 36 inches, so a 46 or 42 inch case isn't necessary. I use a hippie looking Saxophone case that I relined with foam for my AR and a tool box with foam for my sidearms. Both have storage for my weapon, magazines, accessories, cleaning materials and shooting necessities (glasses, ear protection). I'm trying to find something for my bolt gun now. I was kinda thinking guitar case...but for the time being, I'll use something more commercial.

Do you all use drag bags, tactical soft cases, discreen soft cases, hard cases, etc?

Re: What do you store your stick in?

I store my rifle in a gun cabinet. I use a drag bag when I'm just going to the local range and a Pelican case when I travel.

I usually store my 36 or longer bolt guns in a golf club case for discrete carry.

And don't do what my idiot friend did and buy the fanciest looking one possible; buy one that does not attract attention if you're not looking for attention. (I can only assume so with your other case options.) My aforementioned friend has already had two attempts of theft on his firearm by lowly scum that inhabit cheap hotels. Just sayin'.

If you aren't looking for discrete, just get a softcase of some kind and be done with it. I use hard cases for traveling, soft cases for anything else. No need to add twenty pounds of case for a walk that's no longer than thirty yards to the firing range.

I store mine in a safe. They go in a case to get to the range etc.

Bore-stores I love them, I'm located in the very humid south and have no rust problems, and it keeps the safe dings to a min.

Made of Special Fabric That Will Not Retain Moisture

Treated With Pure Silicone and a Specially Formulated Rust Inhibitor

Permits Maintenance-Free, Worry-Free, Long-Term Storage Without Heavy Oils or Grease

Pile Interior Cushions Against Nicks and Scratches

Open-Weave Surface Allows Thorough Air Circulation and Evaporation

Field-Tested and given "Seal of Approval" by the North American Hunting Club

both ive got hard cases but they take up way too much space right now im prefering a large soft case

gunsock>safe>storage
hardcase>range>shooting

i am buying a midway dragbag next time they go on sale for $55

Keep both of mine in the safe. When going shooting I put them in a dragbag, eagle is the one I have now. Looking to get a new one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Black Majik</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nick @ Grand River Tactical's custom bag/shooting mat. </div></div>

My rifles go from the safe to Grand River tactical gear.

I've never tried to fit a rifle in a golf bag. I need to start thinking "out of the box" for this case. Since I can't break this rifle down like others, it'll be a little more difficult to fit in conventional things.

I know some people that live in apartment complexes that have had some trouble with their neighbors due to their travel and range bags. I like being low key.

look on craigslist or ebay for an old guitar case. a drag bag should be discreet enough

Fire-resistant safe. Soft cases for range work. Hard cases for travel on airlines.

I keep my stick in 467's boxers too, wait, what!?! seriously, I use a Bulldog Equipment 3 day sniper pack, it has the fold down bolt gun pouch and the compartments are huge for any other range needed kit, that way I throw it over the shoulder and ready to go. I love mine, I wouldnt trade it for a USO scope.......ok maybe i would

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Adician</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I usually store my 36 or longer bolt guns in a golf club case for discrete carry.</div></div>

Just an FYI. Golf clubs are more likely to be stolen than firearms. There is a much larger market for stolen clubs.

My work rifle rides in a drag bag in the trunk. If I am not using a rifle it sits in the safe.

I agree that hard cases are for travel. The only rifle I cart around in a hard case is my 40XB. I prefer not to add more dings to the stock and the scope and mounting system is not as robust as my working rifles.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Adician</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I usually store my 36 or longer bolt guns in a golf club case for discrete carry.</div></div>

Just an FYI. Golf clubs are more likely to be stolen than firearms. There is a much larger market for stolen clubs.

*snip* </div></div>

Oh I know, that's why I suggested getting kmart bags of some kind. It's for discrete carrying, not for storage. My friend got the fanciest bag he could find and he's had three seperate occasions where the rifle has almost been stolen.

I've never had that happen because my bag looks average. Not ratty, not excellent, just boring old discrete-rific golf club bag.
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sumpter Steve</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I store my rifle in a gun cabinet. I use a drag bag when I'm just going to the local range and a Pelican case when I travel. </div></div>

+1

I keep my rifles in a fire resistant safe. I view the safe as a necessity, there's tens of thousands invested in long guns, pistols, and the optics, spending a few hundred on a good safe is paramount to protecting that investment from all kinds of issues.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strangedays</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Black Majik</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nick @ Grand River Tactical's custom bag/shooting mat. </div></div>

My rifles go from the safe to Grand River tactical gear. </div></div>This. Just got one and I am itching for another already.

Here's a pic of my AR case. It's an old Sax case. The last thing I need is a nervous sherrif seeing gun bags in my car. Cops around here have been getting more and more eager to pull their sidearm lately.

On the topic of golf clubs getting stolen...a buddy had his jeep broken into and had his amp and stereo stolen along with his laptop bag (minus the laptop). They stole an old stereo worth $20, an amp worth probably $50 and some notebooks and pens but left his $1000 set of clubs and $300 wool coat. I'm not saying it can't happen or doesn't happen, but theives look for stuff that is highly valuable and easy to transport. JIMHO

IMG_1272.jpg

IMG_1274.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">nice cleaning rods, what brand are those? </div></div>

Yep those are Dewey rods - I think Russ Haydon builds the aluminum case for them - they come with it for a couple of bucks more.

http://www.shooters-supply.com/cleaning_and_maintenance_equip.html