• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

what do you think of AK?

Lots of options now a days to put optics, laser and flash lights all over your AK. Push comes to shove I want my AR.
IMG_1681.jpg

Reactions: reubenski
Seriously? I'm the first one to say "not today fed"?

#1 reason to own an AK. When Russia; finishes up with Ukraine, partners up with the ChiComs, and flies over here; they won't be bringing any 5.56 along with them...

RUSSIA NOT NEED INVADE. RUSSIAN ALREADY HAVE BEST COUNTRY WHICH IS RUSSIA. MAYBE TAKE CANADA INSTEAD. AND GRAB ALASKA TOO IT MOSTLY RUSSIA ANYWAYS. ALL DRUNK AND COLD FULL OF BEARS.

#1 reason to own an AK. When Russia; finishes up with Ukraine, partners up with the ChiComs, and flies over here; they won't be bringing any 5.56 along with them...
I disagree; China has a version of their rifle in 5.56, specifically to take advantage of our logistics when they capture them. An AK is fine if you need to arm a bunch of barefoot, uneducated, locals that think that weapons maintenance is sloshing it around in a puddle to get the big chunks off.

I disagree; China has a version of their rifle in 5.56, specifically to take advantage of our logistics when they capture them. An AK is fine if you need to arm a bunch of barefoot, uneducated, locals that think that weapons maintenance is sloshing it around in a puddle to get the big chunks off.
And, yet, the AR outperformed the AK in the infamous InRange Mud Test...

Reactions: reubenski
I haven't lived in a mud pit for 3 months straight but I have lived 20yrs of GWOT in SOF and the reliability of my rifle was never a concern. Raids, ambushes, and recons in Afghanistan and Iraq. Contingency missions in North Africa. Partner nation capacity building in eastern europe. Never wished I had an AK.
Thx for the input. We agree more than you realize. I too would choose the AR15, M16, M4 over the AK every time. Was only pointing out that the AK is still a tough little tool. Carry on.

I’ll just paraphrase Clint Smith:

Everyone should have and know how to use:
An AR, an AK, A polymer striker pistol, a revolver, a tube-fed shotgun, a bolt action rifle.

Congratulations, if you can run all of those competently you can now operate 95% of small arms in the world should the need arise.

I have both AK47 and AR15/M16 - Both are good combat rifles. If I knew I was going to be living in the mud for 3 months without a cleaning kit or opportunity to maintain my rifle as it should be, I might choose the AK. Mine is dead reliable and far more accurate in the hands of a trained marksman than people give it credit for. My AK47 has the best trigger of any mil style rifle I own. I would not want to be on the receiving end of one inside of 200y. But...

Compared to the AK, the AR15 is lighter, faster, more controllable, easier to engage multiple tgts with controlled fire. The safety and charging handle are more ergonomic. The ammo and mags weigh less. Keep it clean and lubed and the AR15 is also dead reliable and unless you are in an extended fire fight it is not an issue and even then, as long as you clean it after use, it is a good rifle. The only failure I have ever had with one was a gas tube that split on a short bbl upper being used for full auto fire alot. The normal length gas tubes are not a problem and the FAL-like gas piston uppers are even better.

The AR15 is a dirty action, but as long as you are able to clean and re-lube it after use, it is reliable. The gas rings wear out if you shoot it alot but they are cheap and easy to replace and it will run OK even with them in bad shape. If I was told that I was going into harms way, would be shot at and have to defend myself from others and could only carry the AR or the AK, I would choose the AR. If I was going to shoot in a IPSC 3-gun match and could only choose one, I would choose the AR. If I was competing in a NRA hi-power style precision marksmanship match and could only choose these two options, I would also choose the AR15. AR15 is faster to make a 2 shot double tap at close range but I would also offer that the AK47 might not need a double tap to be just as effective. One well placed 7.62/39 might just be equal to two well place 5.56mm? The newer SS109 ammo might also reduce the need for dbl tap in a real world enviro. Just saying, some of our own BS must be shoved aside to perform and objective assessment. Think about it. They both will trump a spear. The M16 is more controllable on full auto but even so, it very tough to keep more than the first two shots on a humanoid tgt at 50y or more. It is fun but mostly useless for both of them.

If I was going to be in a outdoor survival situation for 6 months to a couple of years with no end in sight, and would have NO opportunity to clean or maintain my rifle and was expecting to use it for hunting, self defense at close range, from both humans and large predators, (Brown Bear/Big Cats), would be out in the elements in blowing sand, mud, snow/ice, rain for a very long period with no chance to RTB for R&R, I would seriously consider the AK47 but would take the FAL over both of them.
brother I've got news for you, the AK isn't as reliable as you've been led to believe. you still need to clean it, you still need to maintain it. There are plenty of examples of ARs withstanding incredible amounts of abuse and lack of cleaning/maintenance and still humming along.

the AK is the last rig I'd grab in a long sustained survival situation. fk, I've seen piss used to wipe down an m4. All ARs should be test functioned with no lube, you'll thank me later

I’ll just paraphrase Clint Smith:

Everyone should have and know how to use:
An AR, an AK, A polymer striker pistol, a revolver, a tube-fed shotgun, a bolt action rifle.

Congratulations, if you can run all of those competently you can now operate 95% of small arms in the world should the need arise.
the 1911 guys are stewing lol

the 1911 guys are stewing lol
really, if you can run a polymer striker pistol, you can run a 1911 or other DA/SA, the polymer pistols will teach better habits (keep your booger hook off the bang switch) and be easier to find/cheaper than a solid DA/SA these days.

a shame really, I personally like DA/SA and SAO pistols, but denying they're less common now and more expensive would be very silly.

really, if you can run a polymer striker pistol, you can run a 1911 or other DA/SA, the polymer pistols will teach better habits (keep your booger hook off the bang switch) and be easier to find/cheaper than a solid DA/SA these days.

a shame really, I personally like DA/SA and SAO pistols, but denying they're less common now and more expensive would be very silly.
I was being sarcastic as 1911 guys are like people from Long Island; they think the sun rises and sets on the island and everywhere else is just dust under their shoes.

How many of each were you planning on buying?

How many of each were you planning on buying?
poly strikers or DA/SA?

I'm not big into the handgun side of things, since most of my sport shooting focus is on precision rifle. combined with having to wait for new stuff to show up on the MD roster, and living in a state that in practicality makes ccw very very difficult, I haven't had much reason to get many (Steyr L9-A2 and a FK PSD currently)

right now waiting on a decision in NYSRPA vs bruen. if it's as expected then I'll be starting a collection of carry guns! :)

Reactions: MadDuner
most times when I see a jihadi video, including those that don't end well, the jihadis (in slippers and US-brand T-shirt) are rocking under-folders when they're spilling out of their BMPs, or favorite: rifle above head spraying over the berm. seems like the under-folder is the least available here in Freedom USA. Always the side-folders, or fixed buttstocks. hardly ever see the under-folders. just an observation, nothing more.

I was reading some article on the internet a couple years ago which compared guys who got hit by 5.56 vs 7.62x39 fmj rounds.

The little bullet going REALLY FAST was way more devastating than the big bullet going slower, as compered both guys who got hit in the side of the neck.

That big .30 caliber has a lot of punch, however, if you need to go through a car or something. But then, why not just go with 7.62NATO?

If I have to shoot something, I wanna shoot it with the biggest gun I can get.

On my tool cart I have an entire set of hammers, from small to large, including 8lb sledge hammers. AK is just another hammer in the toolbox, next to the AR, the AR-10, and the Saiga shotty (which nobody has mentioned yet, AWESOME FIREPOWER AND EXTREMELY LIGHT WEIGHT). I particularly like the AK chambered in 5.56 that takes AR mags (Zastava m90np) and the Saigas.

I love AK's. I just picked a SAM5 up last week. I'm not one of these people who debate which system is better. If it's a firearm that is chambered in a caliber I am favorable toward, I am probably going to like the firearm. Between bolt guns and semi autos, I favor semi-autos.

As far as reliability is concerned, we have all heard that the venerable AK is an absolute tank, much of that due to the looser tolerances. It can eat anything, you can pour concrete in the chamber, and it'll still work. I remember having watched a few videos several years back where some folks tried to put this whole thing to the "test" (used very lightly as these tests were far from scientific). From what I can recall, their real-world results actually demonstrated the exact opposite of the prevailing AK dogma.

The guys testing were throwing an AK and an AR in dirt, pouring water, and doing some other torture test-type techniques. The AK failed much more than the AR did. They hypothesized that the tighter tolerances of the AR actually helped mitigate the amount of shit that could enter into the system. Conversely, the AK's looser tolerances allowed more debris to enter into the system, thereby increasing the malfunction rate.

Any of you guys share any similar experiences or thoughts? If I am being honest, I not only appreciate how menacing AK's look, but I enjoy shooting them also.

brother I've got news for you, the AK isn't as reliable as you've been led to believe. you still need to clean it, you still need to maintain it. There are plenty of examples of ARs withstanding incredible amounts of abuse and lack of cleaning/maintenance and still humming along.

the AK is the last rig I'd grab in a long sustained survival situation. fk, I've seen piss used to wipe down an m4. All ARs should be test functioned with no lube, you'll thank me later

You make a couple of good points worth expanding:

1. AK isn't as reliable as you've been led to believe - Making generalizations like this is just wrong. First, I have not been "led" to believe anything. I have been using and abusing AK's and AR's for more than 30yrs. None of mine ever failed. and yes, they do need to be cleaned. But there are so many versions of the AK from so many places, that I am sure some of them are pieces of $h!t. Hell, when the Russians took their turn in Afganistan, we were shipping Stingers and and a few other dodahs thru Pakistan to help the Afghan fighters to kill commies. Up in the Peshawar region on the Afghan border we saw craftsmen making AK's out of god knows what with only hand tools, and files to fit them together. They did not last long but they did go bang long enough to kill a Russian and take his weapon. I cannot say whose AK's you encountered, but mine were dead reliable.

2. All ARs should be test functioned with no lube - You are right and wrong. If you are going to war with one, no lube makes total sense. Likely to carry it around more than shoot it most of the time and the dust, dirt will blow into the action and stick to any lubed parts. Agree. When maintaining a range toy or match rifle that is going to be shot a lot in controlled conditions or a home defense weapon that is not sitting out in the elements, a little lube goes a long way to extend the life of the moving parts by putting only the most minute amount of lube with zinc phosphate additive on the parts that run metal to metal goes a long way. That kind of lube bonds to the metal forming a protective layer. It prevents corrosion in humid conditions and reduces wear. Even if you wipe it off, it leaves a protective barrier. We are talking about the bolt carrier, the bolt pivot pin, the carrier bore that the bolt slides in and not much else. Tiny amounts as well and use only a high temp synthetic that will not turn to carbon in heavy use. Even if it did there is not enough to matter.

All of use tend to relate to our own experiences and local environments which vary greatly. Each case requires its own SOP. It don't make your wrong, only different to some. I don't lube any weapon with a spray can. Use only a tooth pick, or q-tip or finger and be very sparing with the stuff.

Reactions: RUTGERS95
Variety is the spice of life. Have fun with both.

Ak with a KNS piston and DA wolverine is a good time.

AKs have their place just as ARs do. I love AKs due to their simplicity and ease of troubleshooting if a problem occurs. That being said AKs can have head spacing issues if not built properly or poor parts were used. At that point the rifle starts to become dangerous to use.

i gave up on AK’s because of the mag release and lack of bolt catch mainly but also just to standardize on AR’s for muscle memory.

they do make good truck rifles and beaters though. i’ll through my 762 krink in truck when i feel the need to more than a hand gun. tucson is a rough town lol

never had an AK fail though, except a nodak receiver that the ejector tip broke. had a local AK gun weld it up and contour it. it was a cheap beater rifle that a guy welded instead of rivets.

The guys at the military arms channel are over 8k rounds on a 16" BCM that has never had a failure, never been cleaned, never been cared for in anyway.

The guys at the military arms channel are over 8k rounds on a 16" BCM that has never had a failure, never been cleaned, never been cared for in anyway.
Pat Rogers... had the infamous Filthy #14. IIRC, when I got to run it, it was >30,000 rounds, never cleaned just lubed. Dunno how long it ended up lasting, but it shot great, and seemed immortal. Sadly the same was not true for its owner, who is dearly missed, RIP.

Reactions: ut755ln
I’ve wanted one. Do you like it?

I love it even though I haven't fired a single round through it yet. I wanted a rifle that would accept AK mags. When I started looking at bare bones guns (low dollar and often lacking in the fit finish and looks department) I realized I wanted something more. Guns built by top companies were between $1,500 and $2,000+. Even these lacked in a lot of my wants. I eventually settled on the Galil Ace Gen 2 because of who built it and what it offered. Today this is what it looks like.

IWI Galil Ace Gen 2.jpg

I started with the KNS Adjustable AK Gas Piston AND our Plastic Delete Kit. The plastic delete kit removed a possible interference with certain AK magazines. It also allows you to use any standard AR grip. The adjustable gas piston allows you to tune the gun for use with the silencer or ammo or both. The can is a PTP Tactical Master Chief. The factory barrel is already threaded 5/8"-24 so it simply meant screwing on one of their muzzle brakes and the suppressor is quick connect, done. Sights for now are simple HK clone pieces.

Not a true AK but enough of one to fit my wants!

Pat Rogers... had the infamous Filthy #14. IIRC, when I got to run it, it was >30,000 rounds, never cleaned just lubed. Dunno how long it ended up lasting, but it shot great, and seemed immortal. Sadly the same was not true for its owner, who is dearly missed, RIP.
it went over 50k I believe

I'used to build as cheap as I could and abuse a rifle each year. I did build one for less than 400 that ran to 9k with 2 lubes and no cleaning before the steel cases started sticking so I cleaned it.

Reactions: Tchitcherine
Flies over here now that’s funny

Having owned a couple over the years, here’s my $0.02:

1. Accurate enough for what they are intended for which is to consistently hit man sized targets out to 300 yards/meters. With decent brass cases ammo 2 MOA isn’t unreasonable and the better steel cases brands still shoot 3-4 MOA out of one.
2. Ergonomics aren’t as bad as most people think when you look at the AK’s intended purpose and design era. They’re actually fairly good when you think about it. The stock is a little short for the square range but it handles really well for the average sized person in practical scenario where getting rounds on different targets fast counts. The charging handle is out of the way and big enough to grab easily but not so large it gets in the way.
3. The factory sights usually do suck unless you get a Galil or a Valmet.
4. Hanging lights, lasers and optics aren’t all that hard with modern mounts and rails available for AK’s.
5. Not really as reliable as people think. When fed quality brass cases ammo and properly lubricated, the AR is more reliable. When fed steel cased or poorly stored brass cased ammo and oiled and maintained sparingly, the AK is more reliable.

I really wouldn’t have an issue carrying either one in combat. My preference would be for the AR if I have access to good quality ammo and cleaning supplies. If I was some where where I didn’t have access to good quality brass cases ammo and cleaning supplies consisted of a jug of motor oil, an old t-shirt and some water to wash out corrosive primer residue, I would take the AK.

Reactions: Bakwa
Why do we have to argue. We love all our gun children equally!

That said AK has some cool points and I like to shoot in the Kalishnakov Klash, but its mostly just fun.

My take: Nice rifle, shitty sights and tough to get a good check weld without changing the stock when you have optics. No bolt lock back so it confuses the fuck out of ROs who insist they must handle it (NYET! rifle is fine with chamber flag!)
But hell it shoots so we can be friends.

Amazing.

It’s 2022. I want a red dot. A light. Maybe a suppressor and an IR laser.

AKs suck for all of those.
My DRACO build has it all!
Magpul M-LOK handguard, Ultimak gas tube w/Holosun, thread adapter to 5/8x24

Having owned a couple over the years, here’s my $0.02:

1. Accurate enough for what they are intended for which is to consistently hit man sized targets out to 300 yards/meters. With decent brass cases ammo 2 MOA isn’t unreasonable and the better steel cases brands still shoot 3-4 MOA out of one.
2. Ergonomics aren’t as bad as most people think when you look at the AK’s intended purpose and design era. They’re actually fairly good when you think about it. The stock is a little short for the square range but it handles really well for the average sized person in practical scenario where getting rounds on different targets fast counts. The charging handle is out of the way and big enough to grab easily but not so large it gets in the way.
3. The factory sights usually do suck unless you get a Galil or a Valmet.
4. Hanging lights, lasers and optics aren’t all that hard with modern mounts and rails available for AK’s.
5. Not really as reliable as people think. When fed quality brass cases ammo and properly lubricated, the AR is more reliable. When fed steel cased or poorly stored brass cased ammo and oiled and maintained sparingly, the AK is more reliable.

I really wouldn’t have an issue carrying either one in combat. My preference would be for the AR if I have access to good quality ammo and cleaning supplies. If I was some where where I didn’t have access to good quality brass cases ammo and cleaning supplies consisted of a jug of motor oil, an old t-shirt and some water to wash out corrosive primer residue, I would take the AK.
That was well put.

Mmmm....I don't know. The selector lever on most AKs is stiff as fuck and requires both your index finger and middle finger to actuate which means you have to "re-grip" when engaging a target from the low ready. And you must, both, engage the mag release with your support hand before grabbing a full mag, and, run the charging handle with your firing hand before re-engaging the target. Two extra steps in ergonomics over the AR. There's no way a shooter will be faster than himself shooting an AK over an AR just based on the ergos alone. I would say the ergos on an AK suck. Just because you've figured out how to work around them doesn't mean they are equal.
I'm pretty sure that no one is arguing that the AK is as ergonomic as the AR.
The guy I agreed with went as far as to say that he would prefer the AR over the AK, but depending on the environment and logistics wouldn't feel bad about having an AK.
A team of well trained guys with AK's would wipe the floor with a team of hobby tier AR owners. But if all skill levels were equal, the AR group would likely emerge as the victor.
They conclusion being that the AK is a darn decent fighting rifle. That said, a well put together reliable AR, in most regards, is a better weapon.

Reactions: Kilosierra
Mmmm....I don't know. The selector lever on most AKs is stiff as fuck and requires both your index finger and middle finger to actuate which means you have to "re-grip" when engaging a target from the low ready. And you must, both, engage the mag release with your support hand before grabbing a full mag, and, run the charging handle with your firing hand before re-engaging the target. Two extra steps in ergonomics over the AR. There's no way a shooter will be faster than himself shooting an AK over an AR just based on the ergos alone. I would say the ergos on an AK suck. Just because you've figured out how to work around them doesn't mean they are equal.
1. You can bend it a little to make it easier disengage or you can get a Krebs safety. 2. You can hit the mag release with the full mag and there are aftermarket mag release and paddles that fit on the standard mag release to use your trigger finger to release the empty mag.
3. Run the charging handle with your off hand. Either cant the gun counterclockwise slightly and reach over or cant it the other way and reach under.

1. You can bend it a little to make it easier disengage or you can get a Krebs safety. 2. You can hit the mag release with the full mag and there are aftermarket mag release and paddles that fit on the standard mag release to use your trigger finger to release the empty mag.
3. Run the charging handle with your off hand. Either cant the gun counterclockwise slightly and reach over or cant it the other way and reach under.
ah, yes, the famous AK cant and reach-around.

Well, regardless of how you feel about them, the only proper way to shoot one is like the dildo in the picture. In fact, I would say that photo is especially fitting but then no one who is serious about shooting uses an AK. BTW, what do you call Fudds that are younger than 40?
A fudd wouldn't be willing to buy Zenitco parts.

• Haha
Reactions: rpoL98
These threads are always gay as hell.

This question has probably been asked on every gun site a few hundred times each, just google it. there should be a setting to auto-ban anyone who asks at this point lol

If it was about the rifle, the US would have ‘won’ in Viet Nam

If it was about the rifle, the US would have won in Afghanistan.

Is Ukraine getting Stoner pattern rifles in their care packages? If so, they ought’a ‘win’ too.

Reactions: Kilosierra
"It"

What is "It"?

That's a serious oversimplification of the didactics of Insurgency/ Counterinsurgency warfare. Or you're confusing a discussion about the quality of a gun with does the quality of a gun matter to irregular warfare.

"All an insurgency movement has to do to win is not die." - some smart guy
There was someone above (too lazy to quote or go back and look) that said that a professional force with AKs would curb stomp AR hobbiests. Well sure, and the reverse is true as well. Peer to peer? The gun is secondary. This was my only point. (No, I’m not saying that the above examples were/are peer to peer conflicts.)

My motley assortment would suggest that I prefer ARs. But, if I really NEEDED a rifle, and given a choice between an AK with ammo and an AR without, I’d choose the former.

General thoughts, not directed at anyone in particular...
The AR is demonstrably more accurate. It is objectively lighter, especially when equivalently equipped- and it recoils less. I’ve been using the same 2oz fine line bottle of Full synthetic motor oil for a few years- across all of my rifles. Lube isn’t an issue on ARs that people make it out to be. The AR is easier to suppress- concentric barrels anyone? The AR is more reliable than the detractors say, and the AK is less reliable than the proponents suggest. The AR conforms to modern doctrine for semi auto rifle handling- I think it could be argued that the AR allowed for the invention of that modern doctrine. Everything about the AK is a workaround for something else about the AK. Finally, can we please- just once- correctly distinguish between tolerances and clearances? Please?

Reactions: TonyTheTiger
AK is the answer to:

What semi-auto rifle should I get where parts aren't necessarily interchangeable between countries, ammo isn't a bargain anymore, accuracy is average at best and customizability is marginal at best?

If you like tweaking your rifles, then you should punch yourself in the dick for 5 minutes for even thinking about getting an AK.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: rpoL98
AK is the answer to:

What semi-auto rifle should I get where parts aren't necessarily interchangeable between countries, ammo isn't a bargain anymore, accuracy is average at best and customizability is marginal at best?

If you like tweaking your rifles, then you should punch yourself in the dick for 5 minutes for even thinking about getting an AK.
hahaha, bravo mate!

Russian or Romanian , polish or Chinese I want them all and even more if it's full auto .