• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

what do you think of AK?

I wanted to jump in here with a not exactly AK but kind of an AK report. We went shooting this morning and one of my buddies showed up with a Galil ACE Gen 2 in 7.62 NATO with a side folding AR butt stock. It is kind of this unusual amalgamation of AK and something else with a little bit of AR thrown in. Okay, that is not a good engineering description. The barrel, piston operating system and trigger remind me on an AK. They remind me so much of an AK that I think at it's heart is an AK. In my opinion, they fixed some of my issues with AKs like the reciprocating charging handle is on the left side of the rifle. It has a full length pic rail up top and a MLOK handguard for mounting optics, lights, ect. To me, the rifle shot as softer than a FAL and more in line with an AR10. I was very surprised by the accuracy (might be my AK suck bias). This particular rifle shot 1 moa at 100 yards with factory Winchester M80 ammo (we managed this twice with three shot groups out of six total groups). I bring this up because when I shot both of my groups were 1.5 or so, I am just not as good as my buddy who shot tighter.

I actually really liked this rifle. It looks like they offer it with three barrel lengths 8", 13" and 16" and in four calibers, 5.45, 5.56, 7.62x39 and 7.62 NATO.

There was someone above (too lazy to quote or go back and look) that said that a professional force with AKs would curb stomp AR hobbiests. Well sure, and the reverse is true as well. Peer to peer? The gun is secondary. This was my only point. (No, I’m not saying that the above examples were/are peer to peer conflicts.)

My motley assortment would suggest that I prefer ARs. But, if I really NEEDED a rifle, and given a choice between an AK with ammo and an AR without, I’d choose the former.

General thoughts, not directed at anyone in particular...
The AR is demonstrably more accurate. It is objectively lighter, especially when equivalently equipped- and it recoils less. I’ve been using the same 2oz fine line bottle of Full synthetic motor oil for a few years- across all of my rifles. Lube isn’t an issue on ARs that people make it out to be. The AR is easier to suppress- concentric barrels anyone? The AR is more reliable than the detractors say, and the AK is less reliable than the proponents suggest. The AR conforms to modern doctrine for semi auto rifle handling- I think it could be argued that the AR allowed for the invention of that modern doctrine. Everything about the AK is a workaround for something else about the AK. Finally, can we please- just once- correctly distinguish between tolerances and clearances? Please?
Dude,
You keep coming back with the same straw man argument. No one here said that the AK was superior to the AR, that it had better ergonomics, or that it was more modular.

Someone said that it basically wasn't as bad as people make it seem, but also admitted that it's still not a go-to over an AR.
I then said I agreed and you've been on repeat with your "AK isn't better than AR" BS.

Now that that's out there, let's start the healing process... where did the AK touch you?

Sorry, some of this was misdirected. Your stance sounded similar enough to @reubenski 's argument so I thought it was the same person. As you were...

Last edited:
Reactions: delta6
🤣 ....has perfect recall of the didactics of the argument from three days ago....forgets who he's talking to.....
I thought it was funny too!
To be fair, I have a life outside of the internet, so not surprising that I would confuse two random guys i don't know on the internet trying to make the exact same point over the course of three days.

I just want to prevent this thread from furthering down the road to dumpster fire it's headed for.

AR>AK, but AK not that bad. The end.

I didn't need an AK, but SlowJoe talked in to buying one. He's not good for much, but he is becoming a fairly good gun salesman.

PSA Gen5 with ALG trigger, FN barrel, Magpul furniture.

iOhsAXC.jpg

Reactions: reubenski