• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What does your range bag have to have?

DocUSMCRetired

Applied Ballistics
Minuteman
Apr 16, 2014
Texas
www.appliedballisticsllc.com
Just posting a thread to pass around ideas of things a range bag has to have. Hopefully we can all learn or pickup some things from this.

Duct Tape
Staple Gun
A spare magazine (incase one is damaged or stops feeding well)
LRF (I have been on more than one range where the targets were not at the correct distance)
Tools - Weapon Multitool, Pocketknife, Allen Wrenches especially special fit ones like the laser adjustments (usually the ones that came with the accessory), and sight adjustment tools, Gerber effect military maintenance tool (was given to me by a gun range).
Bore Sight
Spare Set of Ear and Eye Pro (Gone to the range with friends who forgot them, Ive also damaged shooting glasses before)
Kestrel - with Hand Compass to test for deviation on kestrel.
Gloves
First Aid Kit (The Corpsman in me Demands It) I actually ended up treating a pretty badly damaged finger from a M1 Garand bite before. Split the skin to the bone.
Bore Snakes, light cleaning kit (Otis), and a clearing rod.
LED headlamp with white and red.
Spare Batteries
Bottle of water always go in the bag when I get home, not before I leave.
Sunscreen with bug repellent.
Log Book (write in the rain), and writing utensils.
Brass Bag (Range bag came with one in it).
Emergency ID Card (in the external name tag slot). With NIK, ICE Contact info, Allergies, Blood Type. (Bag has a slot for it, might as well use it.)

Last edited:
Good stuff, Doc. My data book stays in my bag, so does a lightweight jacket in case it gets cool or windy. I keep pens/pencils, Sharpie markers, and pretty much everything you listed. And a HUGE +1 on eyes and ears. I keep a few sets of the foams and an extra set or two of the flange style in my bag along with a set of the clear plastic eyes.

Fleshlight. Nothing worse than being on a 3 day stalk and not having any trim.

All joking aside, toilet paper.

Portable cell phone/pda charger (runs off AA batteries) - especially handy at my range, as there's no cell signal. Leaving your phone on but not in airplane mode is a fast way to kill the charge.
Dummy rounds - good for dry fire, and magazine function checks.
Extra paper targets
Spare staples
Gun lube (Slip 2000 EWL for me)
Lens pen/cloth
Radio/walkie talkie
Comm cable to connect radio to electronic ear pro

Plus everything mentioned in the OP

IMO, having a good medical kit, and the training to use it, is critical. I have had too many close calls and minor incidents on gun ranges to not keep at least 1-2 with me for a range trip. I have a heavy IFAK that lives in my range bag, and a blowout kit that lives on my heavy gun belt.

I have several bags for different purposes. Some hunting, some a day at the range, some for competition. Slight variations.

All of them have: LED light, med kit, cooling bandanna, eye and ear pro, goggles (wind and sand), gloves, waterproof outwear, multi-tool, cell phone charging battery. The specifics list for each changes with the gun and type of outing. I have them all in a format to check them off.

I have a 2500 and a 4000 mAh battery pak/juice pak. Charge with USB and will keep a charge for several weeks and give my phone a full charge.

Some of you guys must have seriously large range bags....I've got that ancillary stuff in my truck and just keep the shooting essentials in my range bag.

Hoppes#9, push pins. You have a good list. I keep a power converter in my truck, which works fined for charging, keeping my electric cooler running( cold water in it).

Of all the items listed, not a single person mentioned the most important piece of gear most of us use...
A can of Copenhagen. More specifically the one in your pocket, & the fresh one in the bag.

Last edited:
Kestral, binoculars, site pusher, beer bottle opener (must have) Leatherman multi tool, silicone rags.

earpro and eyepro. Cleaning rod. a few patches, some Hoppes 9, fireclean, multi tool, allen wrench tool, spare batteries, tool post tool, AR15 wrench. band aids, sun screen, mahazines, staple gun, tape, small rubber hammer, jello.

Those little espresso chocolates from Sweden. And macadamia nuts. Lots of macadamia nuts.

Darkside, I just have to ask: What is the Jello for?

Those little espresso chocolates from Sweden. And macadamia nuts. Lots of macadamia nuts.

Darkside, I just have to ask: What is the Jello for?

it's high in calories man. never know when you're gonna need that extra bit of energy. I use to carry a few packets around with me when deployed. you can mix it with water, snow, or just dump the powder right in your mouth but it's easy calories man. ;)

Thanks. I didn't know that. Ahhhh...The days before Cliff bars and Goo. Brings back memories... Good times. Lol!

I was worried that it might have had something to do with hookers.?

Last edited:
I keep my cleaning supplies in a different bag. Had a couple of messy spills. I use the medium Midway range bag, which holds enough. Spare eye and ear protection are on top of the list. If going to a match, always have food as by 2pm I start slowing way down.

Hat with a rear flap, good for heat and cold.
Sharpies, extra staples, stapler.
Tools, knee pads, elbow pads
Extra bag for brass, extra mags
I will add a medical kit, thanks for the reminder.

Extra eye and ear pro, stapler, staples, maglula, uplula, sharpie, inkpen, sunscreen, bugs pray, and a small Plano tray with sight tool, slip 2000, and a few spare AR parts. Everything else depends on what I will be shooting that day.

u3amuha3.jpg

No wind in South Dakota tonight. Had to pull the leaf blower out of my range bag tonight . Had to keep that boil blown off somehow☺

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

You're complaining about no wind?

Wow.......... (can't figure out how to put a smiley thingy in here............)