• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

What Ever Happened To Customer Service?

Slapchop

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 1, 2009
New York
Where are the days when a merchant/retailer/business owner would bend over backwards in order to ENSURE total customer satisfaction? What happened to the time when merchants/retailers/business owners weren't afraid to put their name on what they sold or the service they provided because they knew that they would do right by the customer in hopes of gaining future business.

Now it seems like most guys out there only want the money out of your pocket and nothing more. It's like once the deal is sealed, you become just a number to them and in some instances a nuisance.

I'm sure that it wasn't always like this because if it had been, there is no way they would have attained the status that they now have. I'm sure that when they were trying to make a name for themselves, when they NEEDED to make a name for themselves they were more sensitive to customer needs.

I guess these things tend to happen to a degree with a companie's rise in popularity and some of it is okay. To a degree. What isn't acceptable though is when the merchant fails to listen to the needs/wants of the customer. To the point where the order is botched not once but several times.

Or worse when the lines of communication totally shut down. I'm not one to call every other day asking for a status check because I know that if guys are busy answering phones they're not busy making the product. But when I send an email with a legitimate concern/question and it goes unanswered for a week and then I'm provided with a bullshit excuse as to why I wasn't answered, that is unacceptable. If you didn't want to do what I was requesting then you could have just said so, instead of ignoring me to the point that what I was asking had now become impossible.

Was it too much to provide the literature/manuals for the parts/accessories that I paid for? Now I have to hunt around the internet for these manuals. Another thing, the left hand should know what the right is doing. You guys work in the same place so why is a company representative telling me one thing and the bossman telling me something totally different?

Regardless of how bad ass, how awesome the product is that you put out, it means nothing if the customer is left with a sour taste. It's the little things that matter and it's the little things that got you to where you are today. Once you stop doing those things, you will soon find out that there is always someone else out there that is just as hungry as you once were. These guys willing to do those little things that you now deem beneath you. That will make your bottom line suffer.

Your product is superior to most in quality and craftsmanship but for the coin spent, your customer service leaves a lot to be desired.

<span style="font-size: 11pt"><span style="font-weight: bold">-End Rant-</span></span>

Re: What Ever Happened To Customer Service?

Is there a specific example you can cite, or is this more of a generalised thing? Seems with your last line that you're aiming at some company in particular.

'Customer Service' is a service commodity like any other and subject to the same economic principles.

Sadly OP, I think this is becoming the norm across the board. If you look at the restaurant industry, I have found over the years that service continues to dwindle. Its hard to get a refill, its hard to get some type of condiment, etc etc.

Bottom line, its just the changing of times and just how it is. What really makes me mad is those "one of a kind" companies who know that you MUST deal with them, therefore they treat you like crap. Up in some rural places in Montana, you have to deal with certain people becuse they are the only ones who offer the product, even though you know they are worthless and have to watch them very carefully, as you know they will screw you over at a moments notice.

"Customer Service", whats that????? Not many people care to spend enough time on a customers needs any more, its just the way people think these days. That is why when I do find or deal with a company that has great customer service, you can bet that they will have a repeat customer.

i think unfortunately CS has become a catch-all for any and everything related to all sales good or bad.

I've had pretty good luck with wait staff in resturants. If I dont get good service I ask for the manager and tell them whats up. If I get good service I tell that to the manager as well.

If I get bad service a second time I dont eat there again.

I have a vehicle that costs 200 bucks to ship to an authorized dealer for repairs. I can call their service dept and ask questions, order parts and generally annoy them and they remain polite and cheerful.

Maybe I'm lucky or maybe I am polite and cheerful so I get polite and cheerful back.

Hope you can work things out.

There are still some places that have EXCELLENT customer service. LaRue Tactical or Wonder Optics come to mind. It is a shame especially with technology today that CS is what it is.

CS and pride of work go hand in hand. If you don't have one you don't have the other. Think about it.

I've been wanting to post smoething on here about the same thing with a particular company. You buy the top notch product with a lifetime waranty and they can't even give you an answer or return phone calls or e-mails when you have a problem.

I've also wondered about this before but I think what it comes down to is the profits. As we do more and more things online profits get slimmer and slimmer. I think if they were making substantial profits those companies would have more to lose and in the end have to care more. Seems like everything needs to be sold by the thousands their CS usually stinks, but for instance your local gunsmith builds a custom rifle for you at a hefty premium he tends to answer ever stupid question you throw at him. I think this will just be something we end up getting use to, the price we pay for affordability or a deal.

It's just the times we live in. Work ethic and pride in workmanship for many has gone down the drain. I feel your pain OP. I too have been through many companies almost exactly like that. Hopefully, you'll get taken care of soon.

With restaurants, it's a hit or miss. A waiter/waitress can make or break your evening. I tip fairly well based on "service". If that doesn't happen, it affects your tip. Problem is, most of these people think they DESERVE a big tip regardless of the service they provide.

As for CS from online businesses, I have a few that have treated me great so far and they WILL get my business even if I have to pay a little bit more. That is, unless they burn me...

Since this is a gun forum, I'm guessing that we're talking about businesses that are somehow involved in firearms, or firearms parts and/or accessories.

Since getting into the hobby just about a year ago, I've gotta say my experiences- overall- are opposite of yours.

I have a few rules, however, when deciding whether to do business with an online vendor.

If they do not have a telephone number for customer service (email contact only), I do <span style="font-weight: bold">not</span> do business with them, period...

Same goes for a physical address. I realize a lot of the smaller accessories businesses may be operated out of someone's home, and that's fine- but I still want a physical location for the business.

I also do a quick Google search to see if there's a lot of complaints about the company online. Odds are, if they're lousy at CS, they're consistent about it. Not hard to find a lot of "gripe" posts about them on forums like this by just "Googling" them...

I've rarely been disappointed when dealing with the larger players- Midway, Brownells, Graf's, Natchez... all of them have been top-notch in my experience. I once placed an order online with Midway before going to bed on a Sunday evening. I called them Monday morning at 9:00 a.m. hoping to get something added on that I had forgotten, and was too late- it had been boxed and shipped out by 5:00 a.m. ( confirmed by UPS tracking).

Some of the smaller businesses have been exemplary as well. I once placed an order with Powder Valley and like a dumbass failed to see the "out of stock" indicator next to some of the bullets I had ordered. The very next morning I got a call on my cell politely asking if I wanted the entire order held until the item in question was in stock, or if I wanted them to ship everything else.

It just doesn't get any better than that. Sorry that you've had such bad experiences...

This had nothing to do with an online vendor per se. This guy and his company are pretty well renowned for the quality of the product they put out.

I had occasion to speak to the bossman initially and one of his representatives after that. Somewhere along the line my product was completely out of spec. I don't know if they mixed my order with someone else's (which is doubtful since it was my name on the botched work order) or if the guy just simply wasn't listening to what I was saying.

Luckily I had to call them back for something and that is when I discovered all the mistakes. After all was said and done, they STILL shipped it with a wrong part and NO literature/manuals or warranty of any type. It's like they just threw it in a box, paid for shipping and sent it out.

I know for a fact that their craftsmanship is top notch but their customer relations, at least by me have been shitty.

I don't know that things have really changed that much. When I think of Steve at Triad, Tony at Impact, and Cameron at Murphy Precision it confirms that customer great service is alive and well. Sure, supply and demand still rules and if someone has such a superior product that we'll purchase even if they treat us poorly, then they can/will. Really though, we should vote with our feet and spend our money with people that treat us right. If someone doesn't value you as a customer, don't get pissed........just move on to someone who will.

HA!! I just experienced two complete opposties end of teh spectrum on the exact same product.

6 weeks ago, called DelTon and placed an order for a rifle. was told 1-2 weeks upper would ship out (lower would ship out in 1-2 DAYS)

Lower, ended up taking 6 days to ship out, and 9 more to get here, even though I paid for priority mail, and was charged pretty penny for shipping, it came regular postage. gee thanks.

Upper? HA! Again, told 1-2 weeks. I NEVER called them, even after 2 weeks to check status. at around 2 1/2 weeks, was sent an email and told 3 weeks. Then, after 3 weeks, I emailed asking for update. Was then told 4 weeks. At end of 4th week, I emailed again, and then told, "we dont have a shipping date. When it gets built, we'll ship it".Oh REALLY?

So, in meant time, I had found out about a company called Cold Hand Arms, that has the same rifle. So, after waiting 6 WEEKS, I called DelTon and sent them an email and cancelled my order.
I then called Cold Hand Arms @ 1:30 on this past Tuesday (March 8th), and at 4:30 THAT DAY, I got a tracking number!!! UPS had already picked up my rifle. By yesterday, rifle was in Houston. By 3:00 today...yep, got my rifle.

Ready for beter news? AFTER I cancelled my order with DelTon(left message because of course no one to answer phone), they send me an email TODAY, telling me they have shipped my rifle to me. Can you freakn believe that?

So, from Cold Hand Arms, GREAT service, HIGHLY recommend!!!
So, from Del-Ton...well, they can pretty much suck a nut, SUCK!

i ordered my del-ton upper half last sunday night, and after reading all of your horror posts, im kinda considering canceling. their prices tough to beat, which is what is keeping me with them. i would have to agree with your customer service reviews, i have had a email pending for the last 3 weeks and it really is a question that could be answered in about 2 minutes. if you call the sales line you get through to someone right away, in case you were wondering. their website lacks quite a bit of information, they should have a more up to date waiting time ticker or something along those lines. i just don't see why it would take them 3-4 weeks to build and test fire my upper. especially since the company isn't very known. i could only guess they are short staffed (smaller ar 15 parts company) and because of their prices, they are very backed up. i just hope i dont have to wait 16 weeks like some of these other posts i've read.

i've read quite a bit about the quality of product they create and i don't doubt the product for the price you pay.

As a business owner myself I can tell you that there are two sides to the coin.

Of course customer service is important, taking care of quality customers is your lifeline and your future.

On the other hand, customers in general have just flat out turned into ass munches. Not only are they rude and demanding, but deceitful beyond belief. The overwhelming consensus of people these days is that it's OK to rip off the company....they have plenty of money, they can afford it.

A friend of mine owns a restaurant and he has customers that constantly charge back meals they put on their credit card. Some times the same customer comes in two times a month, eats and drinks, then charges the card back.

He used to fight the chargeback but in today's world of Angies list, consumer complaints, google review, zagat, yelp and urban spoon.....a customer that is pissed you beat his chargeback will destroy you online and cost you thousands in lost revenue.

He just let's them eat for free now.

I hate customers.

My next business will have no customers, no employees.......I just haven't figured it out yet.