• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

What gear should I buy to DIY mount a scope?

Hardly dogma. My gunsmith tries his best to impart all of his years of experience into every barrel he chambers and installs. He's got a few benchrest titles.
Every barrel has a degree of runout and bore center eccentricity. A barrel should be chambered and threaded so that the runout is set on at the 12 o'clock position when installed in the action.
That is what I'm aligning my reticle with.
I set my chassis or choose a stock that allows my natural point of aim to be achieved with as little cant as possible.
You're free to do it whatever way you choose... I'd just rather start with the barrel's characteristics.

Last edited:
String for making sure the scope is level and an allen wrench to tighten up the rings.

Yeah, but when you torque the rifle unnaturally because youre not comfortable its way worse that the tiny built in error.
https://www.snipershide.com/training-lesson-mechanics-rifle-cant/
Rifle-cant-with-scope-level-explanation-2.001.jpg

Rifle-cant-with-scope-level-explanation-2.002.jpg

Rifle-cant-with-scope-level-explanation-2.003.jpg

Rifle-cant-with-scope-level-explanation-2.004.jpg

Rifle-cant-with-scope-level-explanation-2.005.jpg
The math is all sound, but I don't like to have built-in error. I would rather have error that can be corrected by training. That lesson kind of leaves one with the impression (probably unintentionally) that if you mount your scope canted to what's comfortable, you no longer have the potential to shoot with an unlevel scope. But no matter how you mount it, you should make sure you are level. So I look at it as an option between checking level and getting it right or checking level and getting it almost right.