• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes What happen to NF new scope? beast?

D-RAS03

Private
Minuteman
Dec 22, 2006
PA
I read on here for a while about it possibly coming out this year. I just revisited the fourms and no one is taking about it anymore. What came of it? Thanks

Re: What happen to NF new scope? beast?

Of course they have been talking about, I can confirm it will be there at shot and I have see the literature on it, this week in fact.

Two new scopes are being released.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Of course they have been talking about, I can confirm it will be there at shot and I have see the literature on it, this week in fact.

Two new scopes are being released. </div></div>

Can you say anything about it? Are they FFP scopes with more magnification? The F1 supercharged.

Can't say, but the Beast is impressive, interesting new features, I am looking forward to getting my hands on them.

I will say it has one feature I don't ever think has been seen before. Unique is an understatement.

I bet it's going to be a ranging feature IN the scope!!!!! Damn, I'm good!
smile.gif

Can't wait to see it. All I was looking for besides all the current features the F1 has is add the magnification range from like 3-25. That would have me running NF for the rest of my life.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The bitch is I have specs and pictures and can't even share them </div></div>
so how much longer did we have to wait?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ShOoTiN2KiLl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I bet it's going to be a ranging feature IN the scope!!!!! Damn, I'm good!
smile.gif
</div></div>

Anything other than mils of MOA I wouldn't want the scope. If what you mentioned is what I'm thinking their would be no fun in it. Count me out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No electronic ranging,

There are two new Reticles coming out, one mil, one MOA, at least if I recall both are new </div></div>

Ok that's good.

Can you tell us about magnification range??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">5-25x

It's always been that since they started discussing it. </div></div>

Sorry. I have heard a few differant rumors. 5-25x in a FFP scope would be tits.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: D-RAS03</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">5-25x

It's always been that since they started discussing it. </div></div>

Sorry. I have heard a few differant rumors. 5-25x in a FFP scope would be tits. </div></div>
Then get a Bushnell 4-30 FFP, with ZS.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can't say, but the Beast is impressive, interesting new features, I am looking forward to getting my hands on them.

I will say it has one feature I don't ever think has been seen before. Unique is an understatement. </div></div>
I hope their idea of unique features is not illumination control that's on par with the rest of the scope industry. Just kidding. I can't wait for this. I'm holding off on a kahles because of this. Well actually I'm waiting to see if kahles releases any new reticles too (h2cmr ish please).

Frank

Is "The Beast" the 5-25 scope or is there a 5-25 F1 & "The Beast" being released? If you can't say I understand.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ShOoTiN2KiLl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ill send you half a pmag if you share them... </div></div>

that's just stupid!

You're giving LL too much of a good deal there...he would have made out like a bandit! Now, if you offered him half of your Pmag for an actual Beast, then you would be about even on your trade...though, he'd still be ahead by a couple grand.

They better not release a ~42mm. I just bought the 32mm.

Probably won't matter as by the time they're on the market and past all the wait lists it'll be a few years from now and my 32mm will be getting old...
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The bitch is I have specs and pictures and can't even share them </div></div>

Ok, now I understand why the Chinese are constantly try to hack this web site. They need those specs and pics to get a head start on the counterfeit scopes!
grin.gif

LL, how's the glass? I know it will be a pretty penny and it will be improved but if it cost upwards of $2500 or more, will the actual glass be on par with S&B or Premier?

**$2500 is just an estimation of cost on my part, could be cheaper but still want to know how glass compares, or if they put better glass then the standard models.

Sounds really cool to me, I can't wait to check it out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: axeltow</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm holding off on a kahles because of this. Well actually I'm <span style="font-weight: bold">waiting to see if kahles releases any new reticles</span> too (h2cmr ish please). </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Eagleclaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">
DTA and Kahles partnership</span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nicholas Young</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We will have our first co-branded scopes in our booth at shot show, starting with the K6-24x. <span style="font-weight: bold">Kahles is also going to produce a reticle</span> that we have at DTA custom designed for the K6-24x, we will be showing the new reticle at Shot Show but it will not be available until March or April. The reticle was jointly designed between Myself, Russ (at DTM), and Ewen (at DTA Europe) and with feedback from SF operators in the US and UK who we know and trust.</div></div>

Via: http://www.dtacomlink.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3294
</div></div>

Hmmm 2 new scopes to be released.

1. 34 mm main tube 5-25x56 FFP scope with S&B quality glass?

2. 30 mm main tube 5.5-22x56 FFP F1?

keeping my fingers crossed.

I am hoping the "optics" will be up to S&B quality, if so there will be 2 PMIIs for sale soon
grin.gif

I have been wanting to get back into NF for a while now but I just cant get off the Bender wagon for less optical quality. (I know this horse has been beaten beyond stupid but for me there is a big difference in optics.)

Fingers are crossed!!

Lowlight,

Any chance you can comment on rough price estimates for the new scopes?

I keep on reading the beast will be sb price territory, but I am hoping the other scope is more in line with the current f1.

When you consider the options, you are getting a bit more than the S&B, so spending a bit less than S&B is not out of line with what they are proposing.

In my opinion, the one unique option changes the game as I don't believe any other scope offers this, so of course you balance your needs versus the price.

Does S&B really rate the $3400 to $3900 price tag they command ? My first 5-25x was $2350 bought new. What have they changed since that first scope, a different reticle ? Some turret options that don't work, I had 2 Locking Turrets that required service, for two different problems, one slipped the other snagged. $7k worth of scopes not right out of the box. Needless to say, in my first few years of owning an S&B, I had one issue out of 12 scopes, this last year, 2 for 2.

NF has completely changed their product, from size, to glass, to features, not just new reticles, which are also there. Still less than an S&B.

yes, I know the price points, no I will not give specifics

Now you have me wondering, LL, but it's more of an interesting puzzle than motivation to jump on a new scope. What hasn't been done before? Thinking out loud because it's free:

* User controls to selectively illuminate different parts of the reticle (but ELCAN did this in the SpecterDR)? Selectable reticle illumination colors?

* Novel method to adjust focus/parallax?

* Selectable on-board reticles (now that would be the bee's knees) or user swappable reticles?

* Novel scope mount with adjustable cant?

* Novel magnification control ring?

Just thinking out loud.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: One-Eyed Jack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Now you have me wondering, LL, but it's more of an interesting puzzle than motivation to jump on a new scope. What hasn't been done before? Thinking out loud because it's free:

* User controls to selectively illuminate different parts of the reticle (but ELCAN did this in the SpecterDR)? Selectable reticle illumination colors? <span style="color: #FF0000">-- Nope but illumination has certainly been addressed by NF</span>

* Novel method to adjust focus/parallax? <span style="color: #FF0000">- Nope </span>

* Novel scope mount with adjustable cant? <span style="color: #FF0000">-- Nope</span>

* Novel magnification control ring?<span style="color: #FF0000"> -- Nope</span>

Just thinking out loud.</div></div>

You added one, Nope.
smile.gif

It's interesting, and I am not sure you think in this way, but it makes perfect sense for a tactical scope.

One you see it, and see where they took it you understand. I wish I could even give you the "names" they are giving their new features, but it would help, but unfortunately if we want to see this early we have to play within the rules they set.

But the sum total has no equal, the BEAST is aptly name, yet consider this, it's an 1" Shorter than the S&B 5-25x, and adds no more weight.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">NF has completely changed their product, from size, to glass, to features, not just new reticles, which are also there. Still less than an S&B.</div></div> Plus doing it at an inch shorter is cool and all...yet I would so much more like to see this done to a 3-15X.

What do I win if you meant the two-stage "high speed adjustment" that has been out on several patent applications?
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: David S.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What do I win if you meant the two-stage "high speed adjustment" that has been out on several patent applications?
wink.gif
</div></div>

Patents don't mean in practice, it's one thing to patent an idea, it's another thing to put it into a product that people can actually buy.

Will it be available in CW and CCW elevation?

Thinking out loud too...

From what I heard from people who saw the prototype more than a year ago, the Beast had a lot of "space" in the body... but they did not know what was inside.

And now, Lowlight says it is lighter (as the new features does not add more weight) and shorter than a S&B... so whatever the new features is, it has to be ligther than whats already was inside a traditional scope (aluminun, glass).
To me, it means eletronic components.

But what kind of eletronic components? And what it does?

Laser integrated rangefinder? It has been done, so it is not new. With automatic turret clicking for the distance? Not entirely new.

Integrated record image gathering? May be for post action debriefing?

GPS integrated?

Bluetooth thecnology to comunicate with others devices (ex. Kestrel)

A thermal image system would be nice, but I think it would add considerably on the cost...

Solar power system to recharge inside batteries (like some watches)?

Well, trying to guess what is new on the Beast is a good mind exercise to see what possible can be the new feature on this NF riflescope...

They shrunk the saddle section of the scope, there is no electronics added, aside from your illumination. The BEAST I originally saw in person is not the same as the scope that is being released at SHOT.

David is right, but just not detailing what it is.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Eagleclaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: axeltow</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm holding off on a kahles because of this. Well actually I'm <span style="font-weight: bold">waiting to see if kahles releases any new reticles</span> too (h2cmr ish please). </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Eagleclaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">
DTA and Kahles partnership</span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nicholas Young</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We will have our first co-branded scopes in our booth at shot show, starting with the K6-24x. <span style="font-weight: bold">Kahles is also going to produce a reticle</span> that we have at DTA custom designed for the K6-24x, we will be showing the new reticle at Shot Show but it will not be available until March or April. The reticle was jointly designed between Myself, Russ (at DTM), and Ewen (at DTA Europe) and with feedback from SF operators in the US and UK who we know and trust.</div></div>

Via: http://www.dtacomlink.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3294
</div></div> </div></div>
Thanks. I can't wait. Looking forward to see kahles and NF offerings coming out of shot.

Could they of figured out how to do the same thing but with a few less (better quality) lenses? This would reduce weight, improve optical quality by increasing light transmission and less chance of image distortion. That would change the game for sure.

The glass I saw was better than S&B, and had custom coatings they compared to a Leica spotter. I can't say what the production quality will be but they were shooting to exceed the S&B numbers on the testing equipment, they made that perfectly clear.

Better lenses doesn't always mean less glass.

LL- can you say what the plan is after shot? Is this just going to be an introduction with a long wait until they hit the market or after shot are we looking at just a few short weeks or months until we get them?

Also is the 2nd scope (non beast) supposed to be 34mm as well?

Like you i also went 2 for 2 on S&Bs this year... very disappointing

It's supposed to a short wait for the NXS and a month or so longer for the Beast.

I should have one of the production Beast scopes for the site to review around March. The NXS I should see right after SHOT.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DirtRacer151</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Also is the 2nd scope (non beast) supposed to be 34mm as well? <span style="color: #33CC00">- Yes</span>

<span style="color: #FF0000">Like you i also went 2 for 2 on S&Bs this year... very disappointing</span></div></div>

I have several of the new NF 34mm mounts, they shipped me a box last month, from Unimounts to Rings... same quality as their 30mm rings.

The S&B is crazy, the number of scopes having issues is unheard of, and I have well over 15 of them, and going from never having an issue to what we are seeing now needs to be addressed.

I will say I was really disappointed in the final 3-20x offering. It should have been the perfect scope, and frankly the 5-25x are noticeably better. I was personally let down after being a long time fan.

I sent back my first SB 5-25 this year: Eyebox was messed-up on a brand-new scope; could not get the reticle centered in the tube.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I sent back my first SB 5-25 this year: Eyebox was messed-up on a brand-new scope; could not get the reticle centered in the tube. </div></div>

it's a Pandemic ... like German Glass Flu ...

I will see what they say at SHOT but I don't expect much, options are out there, and getting better every month.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The S&B is crazy, the number of scopes having issues is unheard of, and I have well over 15 of them, and going from never having an issue to what we are seeing now needs to be addressed.

I will say I was really disappointed in the final 3-20x offering. It should have been the perfect scope, and frankly the 5-25x are noticeably better. I was personally let down after being a long time fan. </div></div>Huge price increases + major QC issues = WTF?!!

I bought a DMR instead; until I can afford a Steiner or the new NF comes out.

Sounds like a winner to me. All of the hints have me excited. Looks like my S&B in moa/moa will hit the market place after the Beast is released. I'm really hoping the price stays south of 3K.

As someone who has 3 S&B 5-25's on order that aren't expected until February the additional info about the "Beast" has me reconsidering my order. I've also heard about the ongoing quality issues at S&B and a story behind it from a supplier. I know the US service center will make them right but at $3500 per example they need to be correct out of the box-- at least in a greater percentage than people have been reporting this year.

While I like the S&B, Steiner, and the Kahles I'm eagerly looking forward to what NF has to show in a couple of weeks, not only for the Beast but also to see their new reticle offerings.

I was going to ask Frank if he could offer a vague comparison to an S&B 5-25 in a way that didn't violate his NDA with Nightforce but the replies above already covered that. Sounds like the new NF is worth the wait.
grin.gif