• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What happened to the search function?

Weapon_50BMG

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 16, 2020
    Michigan
    For the last few days the search function only returns errors?? Anyone else experiencing this?

It's still there in the top right corner, however it will not search each individual category like it used tom (optics, firearms etc), instead it will only search the entire PX forum.

1615216134460.png

So I get this now when I search, then when I click on the links (the the one circled) it gives me an error...not found.

Screenshot 2021-03-08 102058.png

I get the same error message as @mmcguckin1 when searching .

While the topic will come up from your search parameters, the links to the thread do not work.

I am Using DuckDuckgo search engine.

I can't remember the computer whiz that does the work here or I would PM him directly with the link to this discussion/question

I posted a link to this discussion in the Lowlight Directives subforum... if anyone can remember the IT persons name that helps with the site possibly forward a link to this thread to him? Thanks.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Weapon_50BMG
    I get the same error message as @mmcguckin1 when searching .

While the topic will come up from your search parameters, the links to the thread do not work.

I am Using DuckDuckgo search engine.

I can't remember the computer whiz that does the work here or I would PM him directly with the link to this discussion/question
    I just recently switched to Duck Duck go and that seems to be the problem. Changed my default search engine back to Google and it works fine.
    Darn...

Last edited:
    I just recently switched to Duck Duck go and that seems to be the problem. Changed my default search engine back to Google and it works fine.
    Darn...
    Hey there! I just tested out the search bar using Duck Duck Go and was able to replicate the issue. Unfortunately, this isn't an issue we can fix as it's a problem with the forum software we use. So I've reported it to the developers of the software and we'll hopefully get a fix soon

Hey there! I just tested out the search bar using Duck Duck Go and was able to replicate the issue. Unfortunately, this isn't an issue we can fix as it's a problem with the forum software we use. So I've reported it to the developers of the software and we'll hopefully get a fix soon
    Thanks Alex! We appreciate all the hard work you and your team put in to keeping this place moving forward.

BZ

I'm sorry we haven't had any luck. Since this isn't something we can directly control, I reported the issue to the forum software we use and to the extension for search that we use and I do not believe a fix for the problem has been put out yet. Sorry about that!

Yes. when I reached out about this issue I was told that it was an issue with Threadloom search, but I have not seen a fix for it so far.

Reactions: DIBBS
    I use Duck Duck go and get the same error, use Chrome Google and it goes away as stated already

In my case (Brave Browser on Mac) it is the DuckDuckGo privacy extension that causes the search error.

2021-04-29 at 17.19.06 .png

The above extension enabled == problem.

But you can change the search engine to DuckDuckGo manually..

2021-04-29 at 17.19.17 .png

Search works. So disable or remove the extension and change default search the old fashioned way.

Last edited:
    Hmmm ... I've been having the same problem for a couple of months. If there's any way it can fixed for others who use Firefox + DuckDuckGo, that would be great ... plenty of people do, for privacy reasons.

Hmmm ... I've been having the same problem for a couple of months. If there's any way it can fixed for others who use Firefox + DuckDuckGo, that would be great ... plenty of people do, for privacy reasons.
    The post directly above yours shows you a way to do it.

here it is:
    In my case (Brave Browser on Mac) it is the DuckDuckGo privacy extension that causes the search error.

View attachment 7614836

The above extension enabled == problem.

But you can change the search engine to DuckDuckGo manually..

View attachment 7614837

Search works. So disable or remove the extension and change default search the old fashioned way.

Im having the issue on Google Chrome on my Android phone. When I click on the search icon, nothing happens. I have restarted multiple times but no luck.

Im having the issue on Google Chrome on my Android phone. When I click on the search icon, nothing happens. I have restarted multiple times but no luck.
    I'll see if we can identify the issue happening here and get a fix out

I had the same problem on Chrome with DDG search. Here's a workaround. Click the extensions symbol in the browser while you're on the SH page and go down to the DDG extension. Then disable privacy protection on just this site. Search should work for you now.

Hey just wanted to let you know that we put out a fix for this! Let me know if you're having any other problems

I have the same issue on Duck Duck Go and it used to work.
    Yeah sorry about that, this issue is due to the forum software we use and I've reported it to them so that we hopefully can get a fix

Reactions: lash
    Lots of times the site doesn't appear to work because Im coming from search which returns a cached HTTP link. Of course HTTP won't work for lots of things.

The site should redirect from HTTPS to HTTPS on all requests.

That and the z index of the notifications is messed up on mobile on the homepage so that you have to click forum to see your notifications after seeing the alert.

Those are really the only two bugs on this site. Which is pretty amazing compared to all the other gun forms out there.

This problem using duckduckgo is still persisting for me.
    Search function works fine switching back to Google.

The site software doesn't support duck duck go; it's a totally different query language/interface, and plug-in's (as I understand it) are not available.

Reactions: beetroot
    Yes, very sorry about that. As MarinePMI said it's not something the site software currently supports, but I have reported it to the plugin developer so that hopefully something can be done to get it fixed

Reactions: beetroot