• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing What hunts do you have planned for 2012?

Trevor300wsm

Team Pantydropper
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Nov 8, 2009
    Oklahoma
    Just curious what hunts some of you have planned for 2012? Are you putting in for any draws in any states? Are you booking a guide/outfitter or gonna DIY?

I'm planning to put in for draw hunts in CO & NM for elk. I'd like to take another trip back to Wyoming or Montanna this year. I had a great time in Wyoming this past November. Just interested in what others are planning and maybe get some new ideas for future hunts.

You guys that live out west, CO, WY, MT, NM are so lucky in my eyes. I hope to be able to move out west/northwest some day in the not so distant future.

Re: What hunts do you have planned for 2012?

Elk, and Antelope in Wy in 12 (if drawn). Tx pigs, Ok and Ks deer! been to wy every year since 04. great time and better memories!! Been to a ranch down in tx panhandle last 3 years and shot some hogs which is a blast! In laws ranch for deer hunting in Ok, and then just track down another Ks buck!

A bowhunt in either, Iowa, Kansas or Illinois and maybe a combination of 2.

Pokes,
    What part of WY do you go to? I went to Casper and hunted around the Shirley Basin areas and seen 100's of antelope in the 4 days I was there.

Hunt elk west of Pinedale in the Bridger forest area 98, running 50% with harverst odds. Hunting Antelope in the Thunder basin Nat grasslands units 7 and 27. Areas are good hunting not what some call trophy areas but i'm hunting every year and not just sitting on points.

If I draw Wyo. for antelope and yotes, if i dont draw just yotes , will go to TX for yotes and bobcats , and all over my state for yotes...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: donovan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If I draw Wyo. for antelope and yotes, if i dont draw just yotes , will go to tx for for yotes and bobcats , and all over my state for yotes...</div></div>

Make sure you let Scott and I know so we can try and hook up!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: donovan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If I draw Wyo. for antelope and yotes, if i dont draw just yotes , will go to TX for yotes and bobcats , and all over my state for yotes...</div></div>

Donovan,
    That's what i went to WY for this year, just yotes and to look around at some new areas I hadn't ever been to. It was a great trip and the weather was good. We should get a group together from Ok/TX and go up there. Im gonna do some hunting over by Grandfield in the next few weeks, we should meet up.

Pokes,
    On my third day in WY, I bought a map and drove up to the Thunder Basin area to hunt. I took hwy 59 up to the lil town of Bill. I didn't do any good calling yotes, but there was alot of traffic in the area (I was told there would be). It was a really nice looking area and I enjoyed it.

Well for me I'll probably hunt deer & elk in my home state of Oregon if I draw a tag.

And will be back in Wyoming to hunt antelope, that is the hunt I most look forward to each year - fun hunt & always a good time to be had in Wyoming!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Oregonmuley</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well for me I'll probably hunt deer & elk in my home state of Oregon if I draw a tag.

And will be back in Wyoming to hunt antelope, that is the hunt I most look forward to each year - fun hunt & always a good time to be had in Wyoming!!</div></div>

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but you have to draw a tag in your home state that you are a resident in? Or is this just for certain areas in your state?

Yes. In Oregon you have to put in for tags and hope you draw it.

I really want to take my father to the Spanish Gourd ranch this year. But I know for sure I'll do the usual...Deer, Elk, Antelope, Black Bear

I'll be going on an Idaho backcountry hunt in about a week and a half for mountain lion and wolf.

Anyone in the Boise area konw if there is snow in the forecast? I've been checking the weather, and it seems like it's staying around the mid-40s. Hopfully they'll get some snow soon.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trevor300wsm</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Oregonmuley</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well for me I'll probably hunt deer & elk in my home state of Oregon if I draw a tag.

And will be back in Wyoming to hunt antelope, that is the hunt I most look forward to each year - fun hunt & always a good time to be had in Wyoming!!</div></div>

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but you have to draw a tag in your home state that you are a resident in? Or is this just for certain areas in your state? </div></div>

Yup, sure do and the ones to draw for are not that great sometimes. Our state is split in half with the eastern side all draw only for muledeer rifle anyway. The west side is general but has blacktail only - east side is mule deer. Same goes for elk in eastern oregon, unless you want to hunt spike only there are some units you can hunt in a 2nd season by just picking up a tag.

For antelope you need at least 10 or more like 12-13 preference points to draw a decent unit - thats why I drive to Wyoming:)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cinch</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: donovan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If I draw Wyo. for antelope and yotes, if i dont draw just yotes , will go to tx for for yotes and bobcats , and all over my state for yotes...</div></div>

Make sure you let Scott and I know so we can try and hook up!</div></div>

Hell yeah! Bring the scotch for the campfire!!

Like Donovan Wyoming if we get drawn.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trevor300wsm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    Donovan,
    That's what i went to WY for this year, just yotes and to look around at some new areas I hadn't ever been to. It was a great trip and the weather was good. We should get a group together from Ok/TX and go up there. Im gonna do some hunting over by Grandfield in the next few weeks, we should meet up.

</div></div>

Hells yeah, holler. Donovan isn't allowed to go hunting without me because he has borrowed all my stuff.

Lookin' forward to it JCH!

Spanish Gourd - Barbary Sheep hunt for this February!

Elk hunt somewhere... not sure where. I'm not necessarily looking for a trophy, just looking to fill the freezer.

I am going to be hunting in Eastern Oregon for both my buck and elk tags again this year. Last year I got a dandy buck at 175 5/8 in.

Mom moved to Rapid City, SD a couple weeks ago so I will be Prairie Dog and coyote hunting definitely in the early summer/spring. Also, I will be going to a 3000 acre farm in May to pacify herds of hogs in southern Texas. I am pumped!!! I may try and get an antelope or mule deer tag while in SD as well.

start off with predators in arizona with a buddy of mine in a week or so then the annual deer hunt in kansas at the end of the year, and possibly wolf calling in michigan with a friend that is moving there. and predators here in cali until the end of february and of course bear! maybe ill draw a sheep tag this year, but more than likely not! haha.

South Dakota in June and September for Prairie dogs and steel. Eastern Cape of South Africa for plans game. Turkey and white tail deer behind the house.

Alan

Going to try to draw an archery elk tag in NM again. The fire in our unit made for a tough hunt last year. Also looking into Colorado for a rifle in the future. We have built up some points to draw into a decent unit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Smrkovsky</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'll be going on an Idaho backcountry hunt in about a week and a half for mountain lion and wolf.

Anyone in the Boise area konw if there is snow in the forecast? I've been checking the weather, and it seems like it's staying around the mid-40s. Hopfully they'll get some snow soon. </div></div>

keep an eye on that moon... it really hurt my wolf hunt in montana in 09.