• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What (if any) is your 2nd favorite hobby?

It doesn't take long to figure out if someone went to KU or K-State. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I was thinking about taking up road biking. Anyone know any good roads to ride down the middle of?
The country roads close to the Alabama border in Northwest Florida are special. Low traffic, good pavement, enough elevation but not excessive. Most, but not all have a dedicated bike lane. Pretty much the best I have ever found. I suppose you are serious.

OBTW, when our son was stationed at McConnell AFB at Wichita Kansas, Frankly you had to get way out into the country to get away from really scary drivers. But then again, winds are present. So stout they will slow you down when you are going down hill (Yes there are hills in parts of Kansas) But on the return route, have been riding at 20+ MPH, watching a leaf fall to the ground right beside me. It too was going 20mph due north, jsut as I was, as well as gently falling downwards.

Overtiming

Not only does it get you out of apple picking, you make lots of money.

Did I also mention Labradors???
20230902_154537.jpg

Growing a pair of nuts is a good hobby…..

Then skip the dumb chick stuff and go shooting.
My fiance does that crap with her friends.
But doesnt like crowds and usually rather get up early for a hike and enjoy some basic grub from our packs and coffee in the mtns than do vineyards or other hipster crap pushed by social media.

She loves sports though.
Mostly KU basketball (alum) and gymnastics.
I either do stuff outside or in my reloading room while she does that.
Occasionally watch and tease her about why she wants me watching a bunch of fit 20 yr old chicks in skin tight clothes when I got a good woman on the couch beside me?🤣
She laughs and gets me another beer.
She is trying to enhance your stamina and holding power👍

• Haha
Reactions: powdahound76
But it is indeed a hobby
Indeed it is.

And look, I’m no better. I’d buy a sports car and/or import a diesel engined G-class yesterday if I could

Reactions: tk427
Indeed it is.

And look, I’m no better. I’d buy a sports car and/or import a diesel engined G-class yesterday if I could
Well. The wife drives a G Wagon.....youngest son Landrover, me landrover (oldest son a Mini 😒)

Owned every iteration of Discovery/ LR ever made. Plus 23 years of British Army service and every landrover ever fielded.

From the factory - change tyres - go anywhere with long guns / shotguns / Labradors and camping gear, and I mean anywhere, they're not a lifted jeep but go anywhere I want to go with dogs and guns

Reactions: The D
Well. The wife drives a G Wagon.....youngest son Landrover, me landrover (oldest son a Mini 😒)

Owned every iteration of Discovery/ LR ever made. Plus 23 years of British Army service and every landrover ever fielded.

From the factory - change tyres - go anywhere with long guns / shotguns / Labradors and camping gear, and I mean anywhere, they're not a lifted jeep but go anywhere I want to go with dogs and guns
I used to be a Merc tech, that’s my bias. And I had to do just enough work on British cars to not ever want to do it again

Guns and shooting
Cars
bikes (motorcycles, not those silly pedal things) working on/touring/riding
models and miniatures (building and painting miniature soldiers)
Model ships
artillery
farm
art
watches
sharp stabby things (collecting and making)
reading/books
carpentry
building giant things with rocks
cats
photography (want to get back into film)
hunting (goes with guns), esp upland birds
restoring weird things
cooking
Garden esp. hot peppers
antiques of all kinds
handloading/bullet casting
port
books/classes/documentaries/learning/history

I can go on. Everything is fun! I'll run down any rabbit hole if it seems interesting.

Except vacuuming. I %$#@ing hate vacuuming!

Sirhr

Guns and shooting
Cars
bikes (motorcycles, not those silly pedal things) working on/touring/riding
models and miniatures (building and painting miniature soldiers)
Model ships
artillery
farm
art
watches
sharp stabby things (collecting and making)
reading/books
carpentry
building giant things with rocks
cats
photography (want to get back into film)
hunting (goes with guns), esp upland birds
restoring weird things
cooking
Garden esp. hot peppers
antiques of all kinds
handloading/bullet casting
port
books/classes/documentaries/learning/history

I can go on. Everything is fun! I'll run down any rabbit hole if it seems interesting.

Except vacuuming. I %$#@ing hate vacuuming!

Sirhr
Apart from loving all you posted. I need to spotlight / highlight - Port.........you Sir are a rare beast in N America.

If you care to take time to review a picture i posted of my gun room, you'll see a few bottles aitting there

Reactions: sirhrmechanic
View attachment 8222255
Dogs, upland, landrovers are all a part of " shooting" So i could say I don't have a second hobby just one diverse one that's Shooting all around
I see a lot of dust on a lot of things in that room. You know they melt if you dont use them, right? I can help you keep them from melting!

Reactions: tk427
Sailing and Cycling, though I consider Cycling an avocation of sorts, its what keeps me healthy, keeps me fairly trim and keeps me alive.

Sailing, gives life. You are life. Your craft is life. View attachment 8221954A simple sail on a nice day, feeling the boat move through the water, wind in your face, and your worries, fading away in the boats wake.

View attachment 8221955
Exactly in the part of the road we anticipated.

Single guy, fit, trim, snipped....I have a pink hobby.

Just kidding, I cant fucking stand most women today.

I see a lot of dust on a lot of things in that room. You know they melt if you dont use them, right? I can help you keep them from melting!
Dusting is my wife's remit.......however by way of other excuses....the optics and rifles / shotguns / pistols are clean and used. As for the booze collection dust is a clear ID of aging as for my military detritus that also deserves some dust (just like me) as been retired for 10 years now

Brewing beer, golf, and downhill riding. Also planning on starting a reef tank soon. I already have the tank and stand and I will be working on he plumbing soon. I also bought 3 jeeps last year. Planning on building 2 of them. My problem is prioritizing where my money goes...

Reactions: 96coal449
Hands down my #1 is fly fishing, but unfortunately I don't get to do it maybe 1-2x a year historically. If I lived in out west I'd fish a lot more than I'd shoot at first....might go back and forth....shoot more....good summer bug hatches fish harder. That all changes 2025.....possibly next summer depending on mom and dad's moving time frame! I enjoy the process of finding feeding fish, then attempting to find out what they are eating....then trying to get them to eat with a good stalk and cast. Sometimes you get 1 shot on a big trout and if he turns his nose....he gone....so there is pressure to have that cold bore center x kind of attention you have to have. Plus the beauty of where one gets to do it.....whew tough to beat.

Here's part of a hatch from this morning on the Madison just upstream of Earthquake Lake.

You'll want to zoom in.

20230907_100328.jpg

Yeah, all of those dots are bugs.

20230907_092951.jpg

Reactions: Tanger and HPIguy
a Softride on 650bs, huh?

Hate to break it to ya, but you and I are old

all the cool kids are riding TT bikes with disc brakes and carbon wheels.

The beam bike made a small comeback a few years ago, but I haven't seen em since.

M
Half Ironman 1998. I broke my back and crushed my discs in a parachute accident which left me paralyzed. Recovered but I had to ride a Softride due to the pain. I also had a "Slingshot" which i didn't like as much. Before the accident I had a super stiff Kirk Precision magnesium frame. Was considering turning Pro before my accident. I actually did very well in triathlon afterwards for a guy who should have been dead.

Slingshot
1694136698498.png
1694136806874.png

Kirk Precision magnesium frame.

1694136331533.png

me bike tri.jpg
me tri swim.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Maxwell
Half Ironman 1998. I broke my back and crushed my discs in a parachute accident which left me paralyzed. Recovered but I had to ride a Softride due to the pain. I also had a "Slingshot" which i didn't like as much. Before the accident I had a super stiff Kirk Precision magnesium frame. Was considering turning Pro before my accident. I actually did very well in triathlon afterwards for a guy who should have been dead.

Slingshot
View attachment 8222368 View attachment 8222374

Kirk Precision magnesium frame.

View attachment 8222361

View attachment 8222387View attachment 8222386
my downstairs neighbor had one of those Mg frames. Looked neat, but hear they didn't ride very nicely

I was riding a Cannondale Criterium with blue 6sp 105 on it. Great bike for about 90min, then it was WAY too stiff

M

my downstairs neighbor had one of those Mg frames. Looked neat, but hear they didn't ride very nicely

I was riding a Cannondale Criterium with blue 6sp 105 on it. Great bike for about 90min, then it was WAY too stiff

M
Nobody really liked them. I got my frame dirt cheap for $495 in 1991. I did pretty well on it, but the "coolness factor" definitely outweighed the performance factor.

Lucas Electrical System by any chance ???
Primarily Faguars and it was mostly one specific job that I had to do. When I was starting my mech career I was voluntold to do transmission recalls on the X-type. Thankfully, since I was the newb I was paid hourly. If I remember right that job only paid like 4.5hrs. I don’t remember how many I did it it was too many
This looks like fun