• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing What is a good vise?

goodgorilla

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 16, 2013
Lecanto, FL
I'm currently using a Tipman's best gun vise, but when it comes to leveling something the vise doesn't seem satisfactory. A gunsmith I know says I should use a regular vise that has some cutting board surface screwed into points that make contact with the gun. Also to use some leather in between the gun and vise. I need something that can keep the gun level.

Last edited:
I see. What is that setup there? I don't know much about crafting tools, is that a normal vise? How well does it hold the gun steady and level? I would be worried that if the vise is off level, the gun will be off level.

Look the vice up on the Brownells website. I think they have a video.

The vice does not have to be level - the gun does. Level the gun in the vice if that is what your work requires.

Nice thing abouth the Brownells vice you can pull the jaw section out and run it through the bore in the side of the vice if you need to have the jaws vertical.

Im only a hobbyist. I dont know if this is a good gunsmithing vice but for me its pretty solid, made in the USA, and will handle all I can throw at it. I really like the jaw pad selection so that I can work on crap without marring it up.

PS - disregard the T-track reference and the aluminum plate my vice is mounted on. That is specific to my setup.

You can just bolt the vice to a work bench like any other vice.

Oh I see, I thought you were being sarcastic towards Midway for selling me a piece of Junk. My initial description sounds like an unintentional midwayusa video satire. I will look that stuff up on brownells.

Oh I see, I thought you were being sarcastic towards Midway for selling me a piece of Junk. My initial description sounds like an unintentional midwayusa video satire. I will look that stuff up on brownells.

No sarcasm. I have one of those Tipton Best Gun Vices and I think they are dynamite for cleaning. I use mine more than the cast iron bench vice.

Thing is I only use it for cleaning though. Not the best thing in the world for gunsmithing tasks.

For those of us without a trust fund or on a tight budget >> $84.95 Amazon.com: Yost RIA-4 4" Compact Bench Vise with 360-Degree Swivel Base: Industrial & Scientific

The Brownells version by Shop Fox $63.50 >> Amazon.com: Shop Fox D3125 Parrot Vise: Home Improvement

Now I don't pretend to speak for the quality of any of these or where they are made except for the Yost 2-1/2" Clamp-on Vise they are just options for your consideration...

Yost listed as Made in USA $77.00 >> Yost - 2-1/2" Clamp-on Vise - Made in USA not for heavy duty work I think but could fill the bill for holding a rifle.

VersaCradle, best solution I've every had for holding rifles and worth there weight in gold!!

You guys have posted some pretty nice vises. The Brownells multivise looks pretty good, but it's jaws are only 3.5 inches long and I would imagine longer heads would be better. The versa cradle looks alright, but I want to use the vise while bedding an action and I couldn't do that with the straps over the barrel. The yost look pretty good, but they seem a little over priced. I'm not that sure which one to go with but I'm leaning towards the bessy at the moment. What would be ideal for putting between the vise and gun? Rubber jaws and leather? Just rubber jaws?

here is what i have on mine. they work well for standard rifles but for bigger/heavy stuff i use leather pads as you need to have a tighter vise and the rubber gets pushed out.

Amazon.com: Bessey BV-NVJ Multi-Purpose Vise Jaws (Jaws ONLY): Home Improvement

dont go too cheap on a vise or else you will end up spending more money in total when you need to get a better one once the cheap one breaks/won't hold what you need. Bessy has some bad reviews.

Last edited:
I guess I will not be doing that. A friend of mine says he has a vise on his bench that I could use, I'm going to check that out within a few days.

You guys have posted some pretty nice vises. The Brownells multivise looks pretty good, but it's jaws are only 3.5 inches long and I would imagine longer heads would be better. The versa cradle looks alright, but I want to use the vise while bedding an action and I couldn't do that with the straps over the barrel. The yost look pretty good, but they seem a little over priced. I'm not that sure which one to go with but I'm leaning towards the bessy at the moment. What would be ideal for putting between the vise and gun? Rubber jaws and leather? Just rubber jaws?

Bedding is where it the nicest, I don't use the front strap over the barrel but I tighten the saddles down after I've snuggled it down and strapped the rear down, it's in there like it grew there and I can move it any where I need without moving the stock. I have an other more regular vice that I used to use but now only use it to hold a barrel, all other work is done in the Versacradle.

Bedding is where it the nicest, I don't use the front strap over the barrel but I tighten the saddles down after I've snuggled it down and strapped the rear down, it's in there like it grew there and I can move it any where I need without moving the stock. I have an other more regular vice that I used to use but now only use it to hold a barrel, all other work is done in the Versacradle.
How do you tighten the saddles without using the straps? On the video it looked like you had a few washers to choose from to determine the grip pressure.

edit: I got to see my friend's vise today. It's just a regular vise, but's really sturdy and has long jaws. I'm thinking I am going to need to get some leather to use as a spacer between the gun.

Last edited: