• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

What is in your bug out bag?

Dang, I just remembered I had bought some Life Straws. I thought I had five, but could just now only find two.

Not going to agonize over how my memory and the facts don't reconcile, just gonna go buy a few more. I mean, I am 72.

Water is hard to find out in the rough here on the High Desert, and it's even harder to find any that's potable. Best we improve those odds. If your plans don't include a better chance of having drinking water, they need some revision.

Greg

The leftist statists of today have corrupted the true meaning of "liberal". In it's basic definition, liberal describes someone who is open minded and carries a 'live and let live attitude' to everything else.

Those self proclaimed "liberals", however? They have shown themselves to be highly intolerant, bigoted and prone to reacting in extremely bizarre ways when someone even slightly disagrees with them. The vape shop guy in ArmyJerry's thread is the perfect example. 'Free speech' is only tolerated as long as it conforms 100% to their agenda. Classic Orwellian goodness right there.

Libertarian is the true definition of a liberal. That is why I would never refer to gun banners, ANTIFA, etc.. as liberals. They are statists and some of them are thugs.
I don't want to hijack the thread but I use to think that the terms "liberal" and "leftist" could be used interchangeably. However, I soon discovered that I was wrong after watching Dennis Prager's video:

Reactions: Blue Sky Country
I'm not trying to crack a joke here but has anyone considered putting a roll of toilet paper in their bug out bag?

If you think that is funny then you haven't spent enough time out in the woods, desert, mountains or swamps.

Laugh at me now but if you ever have to bug out with me, I'm not sharing my toilet paper with anyone.

BTW, make sure it is in something waterproof.

^^^^Copy/paste from britannica.com:

"Liberalism, political doctrine that takes protecting and enhancing the freedom of the individual to be the central problem of politics. Liberals typically believe that government is necessary to protect individuals from being harmed by others, but they also recognize that government itself can pose a threat to liberty. As the revolutionary American pamphleteer Thomas Paine expressed it in Common Sense (1776), government is at best “a necessary evil.” Laws, judges, and police are needed to secure the individual’s life and liberty, but their coercive power may also be turned against him. The problem, then, is to devise a system that gives government the power necessary to protect individual liberty but also prevents those who govern from abusing that power."

Typical of today's left. They have taken a word, such as "gay" and blurred, slurred and prostitued into something completely different.

"Liberalism, political doctrine that takes protecting and enhancing the freedom of the individual to be the central problem of politics. Liberals typically believe that government is necessary to protect individuals from being harmed by others, but they also recognize that government itself can pose a threat to liberty. As the revolutionary American pamphleteer Thomas Paine expressed it in Common Sense (1776), government is at best “a necessary evil.” Laws, judges, and police are needed to secure the individual’s life and liberty, but their coercive power may also be turned against him. The problem, then, is to devise a system that gives government the power necessary to protect individual liberty but also prevents those who govern from abusing that power."

That sounds like something a modern conservative would say about his or her viewpoint. Heck, it looks like something that I would say and I thought I was an über-conservative!

BTW, airguns are great little tools for havesting small game; quiet, cheap, can put a lot of ammo in a small container to last for months to years.

I'm not trying to crack a joke here but has anyone considered putting a roll of toilet paper in their bug out bag?

If you think that is funny then you haven't spent enough time out in the woods, desert, mountains or swamps.

Laugh at me now but if you ever have to bug out with me, I'm not sharing my toilet paper with anyone.

A few years ago the local hardware store had some mini TP rolls on their blow out table, Charmin brand. Intended for RV's if I remember correctly. Bought all they had, 6/6packs for $10 bucks. They sit on what I call the essential shelf, the gear that absolutely must go to the bugout hide. None of it will fit in a single backpack.

Typical of today's left. They have taken a word, such as "gay" and blurred, slurred and prostitued into something completely different.

Nice! That is facts right there. I bet they won't be able to jack up the word 'libertarian'.

To this day they continue to try to corrupt and foul words to their agenda. Remember when they took Sen. Rick Santorum's last name and turned it around to mean something really fucking nasty? Bastards. I won't even reference it here, but anyone can Google-fu the term.

A few years ago the local hardware store had some mini TP rolls on their blow out table, Charmin brand. Intended for RV's if I remember correctly. Bought all they had, 6/6packs for $10 bucks. They sit on what I call the essential shelf, the gear that absolutely must go to the bugout hide. None of it will fit in a single backpack.
Good idea.

And if anyone thinks that not having enough toilet paper is a trivial matter should think about the number of times they've ever gone to a porta-potty at a crowded event. Take a look at how fast they run out of that stuff.

That is actually good sense. I would not resort to using dried leaves for that purpose unless I am TRULY desperate. When I pack a bare-bones emergency pack, TP is on the secondary list. If I finish packing and there is still room in there, I will add a roll of TP and some other creature comforts.

On a normal, daily routine, I always have a considerable quantity of tissue packets in my backpack and the pockets of my jacket and pants. These days, I always wear coats and pants with LOTS of pockets. Been doing so since I had lost a phone that I was keeping in a belt holster. I was struggling to get a hand truck loaded with rice down a set of cellar stairs and the phone, along with it's sheath, must have been ripped off at some point.

I had got back in the truck and driven several miles before I realized what had happened. It was a cheap phone I used for work to keep in touch with the delivery fulfillment office, but it was a lesson learned. If I had lost a handgun in this fashion I would have been PISSED.

So pockets and rugged, waterproof utility jackets and pants are my daily style now. If I were to inventory the EDC knives, tissues, batteries, ammo, flashlights, band-aids/wound dressings that are carried in those various pockets, they might even be more than some folks' bug out bags LOL.

When I did LTL runs delivering/picking up for restaurant suppliers, I have had MANY instances where I had no choice but use nasty-ass bathrooms with semi-functioning facilities. And no TP :mad:

The tissues I had on me saved many a day.

Buying in bulk and stashing. I'm extremely fortunate to have a bugout hide in place less than an hours drive from my current location. Grabbing a couple of backpacks and some gear then hightailing on foot, for various health reasons, is totally of of the question for the Child Bride and I. We will drive. My current plan is to be ready to pack and load all from current location to the hide in a short afternoon, two vehicles.

Case of TP, check. Cases of soap, toothbrushes, paste, check. 5.56 ammo, check. Mountain house cans, check. Sundry tools, nails, lumber, check. Gas and LP, ways to go there. Coms, zip. Security measures, still thinking. Paranoid, no, pragmatic, yes.

Do I wish to bugout, no, not ever. Do I expect to? Couldn't tell ya, but I am paying attention and keeping a weather eye to the current state of affairs.

When I was flying ejection-seat aircraft, I always made sure that my zippo lighter had plenty of fluid with it. Nowadays, the cheap butane lighters are great to stick in a backpack.

I learned, a few years ago, that cotton balls impregnated with Vaseline make great fire starters.

This guy also does a decent review of fire steels. That's one item that I have in the inventory.

I use to use an axe or hatchet to cut up firewood but about a couple years ago, I got turned on to the Corona pull saw available from Lowe's. Some folks might promote the silky saws but they can be a little pricey and too big to put in a bag. The Corona pull saw makes short work a a small log.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Corona-RazorTOOTH-10-in-Folding-Pruning-Saw/3006129

That is actually good sense. I would not resort to using dried leaves for that purpose unless I am TRULY desperate. When I pack a bare-bones emergency pack, TP is on the secondary list. If I finish packing and there is still room in there, I will add a roll of TP and some other creature comforts.

Think Poison Sumac.

One need not ask how I know this...

Greg

I forgot to add that before I switched to the Corona pull saw, I had used the Cold Steel Kukri. It was expensive but I can make short work of a log in a shorter amount of time than with an axe but not as fast as the pull saw.

The nice thing about the kukri is that you can still use it as a large kinfe. That isn't always possible with an axe. It will serve as a machete and makes a great weapon.

Some folks may laugh at the little fat guy promoting his product but I can vouch from personal experience, the Cold Steel Kukri will do what he says it will.

Think Poison Sumac.

One need not ask how I know this...

Greg

Ooh I had memorable encounters with those when I was younger. On my face too. And I had to go to school the next day.....AND there was a girl in class who I had a crush on :oops::cry: Just as bad as the mosquito bites on the neck that EVERYBODY would say are hickies. You would be shown no mercy in school.

What is missing in that is the idea of.....

"The government that governs the least, governs the best"

Government should not be a daily, hourly, on the minute, on the second intrusion.

Society is survival of the fittest and rule by the strong man without government.

A Lockian liberal only acknowledges as legitimate that government that is supported by the people and serves their interests while not impeding on their pursuit of liberty.

From top to bottom main:
Poncho
Quick clot kit
6x8" medkit
Duct tape
2x Tourniquet (strap stow)
Fire steel
Sharpening file
Snare wire
2x contractor trash bags
10x large zip ties
Hatchet

Side pockets:
Room for my M9A3 w/ 6 mags (5x FMJ, 1x HP)
Low power Streamlight LED (AA)
Medium power Streamlight LED (CR123)
Signal mirror

That's just my cowabunga bag. I'm not humping around a fucking camp stove and the rest of my shit in a bug out situation since I'd probably be sleeping in trees, drinking animal blood, and not looking to establish anything except distance.

"I once sent a dozen of my friends a telegram saying 'flee at once - all is discovered.' They all left town immediately." -Mark Twain

Last edited:
I must say, my BoB is not a bag, it's a Dodge Grand Caravan.

My bag, as such, is a simple backpack loaded with clothes and sundries, imperishable food, water, and those things I might take in any usual weekend camping trip.

Whatever supports a purpose for said trip is pre-bagged/backpacked separately and placed in the Caravan at time of departure, the work of a few minutes at most.

Greg

Didn't see any mention of hand wipes travel pack . Would suck to get tacken out by stomach bug and dirty hands .

I don't plan on going anywhere. But, if I have to leave, my BoB will include a white button up shirt, a black tie and The Book of Mormon that will be put to good use when I show up in Utah.

Reactions: Lapuapalooza
Might consider that you don't eat MREs everyday and if you're prone to heartburn you may add some tums to your kit . Be a good idea to see how your tummy likes the dogfood now that your not nineteen .

I don't view it as a SHTF bag as much as I view it as an emergency bag for the car.

Emergency can result from a variety of things. Always good to be partially prepared for badness otherwise you suffer from normalcy bias which can cut your life short

Might consider that you don't eat MREs everyday and if you're prone to heartburn you may add some tums to your kit . Be a good idea to see how your tummy likes the dogfood now that your not nineteen .

In the mid 70s, I ate WWII c-rations. I warmed them up on a hot plate that I hid in the barracks.

They were pretty good and I never got sick.

Fast forward to the 90s. I still puke my guts out when I even look at an MRE.

I’d rather stock up on regular canned food than those puke bags.

I don't view it as a SHTF bag as much as I view it as an emergency bag for the car.
Emergency can result from a variety of things. Always good to be partially prepared for badness otherwise you suffer from normalcy bias which can cut your life short

Exactly, you never know when a bit of snow and ice on the roads will cause the idiots to figure out how to flip their cars over and catch them on fire & you are stuck on the highway for a couple days till they all get shoveled off the road.

Or a wildfire / neighborhood fire might drive you from your home / leave you without a home for a period of time.

Or the local SS might not let you back into your house "for your own safety" for various reasons.

Then there is also things like storms, floods, etc.

Always good to have an emergency kit in the car to carry you through a couple days and PLENTY of water in the car with you.

Food I think people often put a bit too much emphasis on. Shelter, Temperature control, protection from the elements and water are the most important things you need right away. You can live without food (usually) just fine for a couple days if you have to. Longer if you really have to, unless you have a medical condition that makes it otherwise.

Pretty much the opposite of what all the stupid "survival" reality TV shows tell people.
If you don't have water... Don't eat
If you have very little water... stay away from meat and protein if possible, stick with fat and carb or sugar

I thought about it. But a roll or 2 of TP, takes up a lot of room in an already small pack. I guess one could unroll the TP and fold it up nicely and stuff it in a compartment. But its not super high on my list of essentials. Ammo, fire, food/water takes its spot in my pack. Its shit. Idc about it. I can find a leaf or some grass. I know the difference between poison ivy and an oak leaf. Luckily there is still grass in the winter.

People did just fine without TP for thousands of years. Remember, youre in a bug out/survival situation. If you must, take 1 roll. And dont share.

I feel like this is a prep list for snowflakes going to war. Dont forgeet yalls man bun scrungies.
Some of you guys might want to take along a bottle of bourbon but I stopped drinking and smoking a long time ago.

Coffee and chocolate are my weaknesses now.

I can still rough it with the best of them but ain’t doing without my coffee, chocolate and toilet paper.

Some of you guys might want to take along a bottle of bourbon but I stopped drinking and smoking a long time ago.

Coffee and chocolate are my weaknesses now.

I can still rough it with the best of them but ain’t doing without my coffee, chocolate and toilet paper.

Its ok, man. Keep the fire hot at basecamp. Lol somebody has to do it. I hope youre a good cook.

Reactions: QuickNDirty
I guess I missed it back up somewhere in this thread but I think some cash in small bills would be useful maybe say 1000 or 2500 USD. Maybe some Barter goods.

Then I’m back up on weight and need a vehicle to bug out. To those near a foreign border. Local currency could be helpful.

I guess I missed it back up somewhere in this thread but I think some cash in small bills would be useful maybe say 1000 or 2500 USD. Maybe some Barter goods.

Then I’m back up on weight and need a vehicle to bug out. To those near a foreign border. Local currency could be helpful.
If I have a lot of lead, I can turn it into gold.

Reactions: 308220
I’m filling in the edges with FMJ and HP now. I’m set on 22LR and 9mm. Need about 10K 556 to be at preset minimums. Bought a sneak and peek weapon to try out and see if it makes the cut.

First thing on my list ... Friends laugh at me when they see I have plenty o TP , empty zip lock bags and
a tube of hand sanitiser & ooh rahs in my pack for a day in the bush shooting . I don’t do left hand style .

I just looked back through all the postings but didn't see any list including iodine tablets or water filtration/purification devices.

Depending on the environment another good thing to have is a large clear plastic sheet to use for making a solar still.

Some sort of mess kit and canteen should also be in order. I still think the GI mess kit, canteen and canteen cup are still pretty good equipment to have.

I got out before the military started using the MOLLE attachments so can only speak from the experience of wearing the LC-1 combat harness system.

It fit me pretty good and if you are carrying a pistol and magazines, it is better than wearing just a belt that pulls on your pants. That's something to think about on a long hike.

Found these on ebay. Nice little thing to have. Nutritional and doesnt take up a lot of space. If they link dont work for some, simply search "The Survival Tabs".
Here is a nice water purification straw. Tabs are ok, but eventually run out. Straws are nice to have. "Life Straw".
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/291710994033

The straws are nice & you can pretty much just toss them in anything for next to no cost and weight.

However I'd also suggest that something like this is actually a fair bit more practical in something like this:
https://sawyer.com/products/mini-filter/

As that will let you process a bunch of water to store, or store a bunch to process later, or both.

Reactions: Alphatreedog
Well it is a bug out bag after all.

1546570006336.png

A nice little addition is Datrix bars. Small and caloric dense, they take up little room or weight. Very efficient. They taste like coconut. Not chicken, sorry.

Reactions: FleetDaddy
For those of you packing bowl tickets (toilet paper) try takingit off the roll, folding it up and putting it in vacuum seal food saver bags. You can condense an entire rolls down to next to nothing. Or more practically, into 3-4 separate bags.

10x10 tarp
Tarred bank line
SS Nalgene
Gsi cup
BRKT bravo 1lt
silky pocketboy
CS trailhhawk head
a couple bic lighters
Ferro rod
Match case
Fatwood
PJCB
a couple bandanas
lightweight poncho
toboggan
fleece neck gaiter
fleece gloves
Flashlight
Whistle
Signal mirror
Mid level FAK
Polar pure bottle
Small mors pot

usually keep some granola bars, jerky, and similar in it.

My 29 foot coachman RV is my bug out bag.

But I’ll probably just set a perimeter south at the Colorado boarder to keep the commies out of town.
Not all of us on the south side of the border are commies, homie! ?

Reactions: Bender