• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

What is in your bug out bag?

I need a few more likes on the above... however, I am more inclined to want the Vietnam era Duece and a half that had ma dueces at every corner....and shit.

Ok, one more thread drift.... at the local veterans day parade, there's a half track and a kubelwagen (VW Thing precursor) that has 2 mg34's mounted on it. Either I would also take!

Last edited:
I'll reiterate my old saying. Most farm animals and wildlife will be wiped out in about 2 months. Most will be moving out into the country where some of us already live. That won't be pretty in and of itself. But how many are ready to eat long pig? Which ones do you eat and which ones can help you? How do you know? I'd like to think I'd be great on survivor, but I'm sure they'd be wary of me building a smoke house the first day.

I'll reiterate my old saying. Most farm animals and wildlife will be wiped out in about 2 months. Most will be moving out into the country where some of us already live. That won't be pretty in and of itself. But how many are ready to eat long pig? Which ones do you eat and which ones can help you? How do you know? I'd like to think I'd be great on survivor, but I'm sure they'd be wary of me building a smoke house the first day.

I think long before that many people will meet their end. Just think of if the power goes off in the middle of Summer or Winter how many people will wind up dead in a month or two just from lack of heating / cooling & no idea what to do without it. Then no power = no gas for the cars, no working stop signs, the roads are insane around here at the best of times.... I plan to have to walk out of the city back home if things go down because the roads will probably quickly become a stagnant block of people sitting in their premade coffins waiting to die as they hope the "government" will come to save them.

Some intelligent ones and prepared ones will make it out of the cities in time, but for the most part I think the bulk of city dwellers won't make it far from their cities in the event of any real significant disaster.

City dwellers will begin to migrate to the suburbs when food begins to become scarce. That will be the first front lines. If the farmers decide to proactively protect what they have, they'll align with the suburbanites to stop the flow of city dwellers. If the farmers decide to hole up, they'll be dealing with both the city dwellers and suburbanites that have been displaced by the front line fighting.

I'm near water. I'd like stay home until I had to leave. If I needed to leave, I'd go to my father's farm as he has a well. We'd be eating fancy horse for a while. If they'd let me. If shit really hits the fan, I'm goin East. I'll hide in the high dessert eating prairie dogs, coyotes, likely some dear, pheasant, qual, dove, field mice, ants, worms, dessert foliage, etc. It's a very big place.

Photo courtesy of Tucker301
windblown-snow-makes-flat-farmland-look-3d-from-above.jpg

Eastern Plains in Colorado. It looks like this all the way East to Kansas City, North until you hit the Arctic Circle, South to South America and beyond, and West to nearly the Coast of California, if you can manage to get over the Rockies. There's plenty of room and resources for everyone who knows how to extract those resources. Honestly, I'm not too worried as long as I can walk and carry a pack.

you guys are so pessimistic. look at the voting map in the last election, blocking off 5 highways around 10 cities, shut off power that comes from red america, it will be a self curing problem in one week. maybe 2.-

You don't even have to do it yourself.
You could probably find enough idiot earth worshiping fools in the city to do it for you to "protest against man harming the environment"...

City dwellers will begin to migrate to the suburbs when food begins to become scarce. That will be the first front lines. If the farmers decide to proactively protect what they have, they'll align with the suburbanites to stop the flow of city dwellers. If the farmers decide to hole up, they'll be dealing with both the city dwellers and suburbanites that have been displaced by the front line fighting.

I'm near water. I'd like stay home until I had to leave. If I needed to leave, I'd go to my father's farm as he has a well. We'd be eating fancy horse for a while. If they'd let me. If shit really hits the fan, I'm goin East. I'll hide in the high dessert eating prairie dogs, coyotes, likely some dear, pheasant, qual, dove, field mice, ants, worms, dessert foliage, etc. It's a very big place.

View attachment 6998155

Eastern Plains in Colorado. It looks like this all the way East to Kansas City, North until you hit the Arctic Circle, South to South America and beyond, and West to nearly the Coast of California, if you can manage to get over the Rockies. There's plenty of room and resources for everyone who knows how to extract those resources. Honestly, I'm not too worried as long as I can walk and carry a pack.
I think that before they try to steal from the farmers there will be food riots first. They look to the Nanny-State to take care of them. So it would be only natural for them to riot first. It would not be unlike a kid throwing a fit because he or she is hungry before it's time for dinner. I agree with everything else that you said.

I think that before they try to steal from the farmers there will be food riots first. They look to the Nanny-State to take care of them. So it would be only natural for them to riot first. It would not be unlike a kid throwing a fit because he or she is hungry before it's time for dinner. I agree with everything else that you said.

I agree. I assumed infighting amongst the city dwellers when food and resources become scarce and that's when the majority will begin entering the suburbs and then the nearer farms and ranches, etc. There will also be an early migration of the smarter ones. Those will likely be absorbed by others as they will be small in numbers and reasonable in their pleas as they're leaving before it spirals into complete chaos.

It might just be The Great Cleansing of America. The strong, smart, resourceful will survive and rebuild.

The real threat is from the outside that sees us as weak and an opportune time to invade. Then we'll be fighting two fronts. One of invaders and one of plain survival and civil war.

The one thing that we all tend to overlook is organizing with others who have a similar mindset. Not too many people can survive completely on their own for an extended period of time.

Some of us live in the city or suburbs and economic realities have placed that burden on us. Some of us also have families that cannot simply "head for hills" during the apocalypse.

I'm not a member of any prepper or survivalist organization. So I'm going out on a limb when I say this. Perhaps some of those groups are thinking correctly on this.

Think of it this way. Neighborhoods organize "neighborhood watch groups." There are some good and bad things about those groups that I won't get into here but what they are trying to do as a group is protect their neighborhood against the bad guys.

To be realistic about this I will say that if I went around my neighborhood and tried to organize them for any sort of natural or man-made disaster, they would look at my like I am not wearing any pants. That's because none of them see a need for being prepared and to share the burdens for the common good for survival.

On the other hand, I have close friends in the same city who share a similar mindset and it's not a bad idea to have a plan with them and form our own little group to share our diverse talents for the common good.

I might even investigate a prepper or survivalist organization to see what they are like and if they have a realistic plan and organization.

Think about the group of folks on the Mayflower. Before they even left the ship they decided to organize themselves for the common good. That's not to say they didn't have problems and hardships. Yet look at the country they started to create.

Think about the Bielski brothers and other partisans that tried to survive and fight off the Germans. There were a few individuals who waged their own one man war against Nazi aggression. Some survived and some didn't. For the most part, the people that organized themselves to survive the war or fight survived more than the guy who went alone. The bottom line, is that none of us can rely on one plan to go it alone.

I wished I could find the video of the episode from the "Twilight Zone" on the bomb shelter. Rod Serling produced an episode in which the neighborhood doctor builds a bomb shelter in his basement.

It seems laughable now but put yourselves in the late fifties and early sixties. I remember the Cuban missile crisis. I was young then and didn't know what was going on but I remembered that the adults were really worried and wouldn't tell us kids much. I also lived on an Air Force base then; a prime target for an ICMB.

Anyway, all the doctor's neighbors laugh at him for building a bomb shelter. Then there is a warning about a nuclear missile attack. Everyone panics while the doctor and his family move into the bomb shelter. The doctor only has enough room and provisions for he and his family but that doesn't matter to his neighbors who aren't laughing now.

Here's part three to that episode which is all I can find.

Last edited:
I think they might try to send the state to confiscate the food like they do in every country that falls to communism.
Yes. Look at history. Stalin's biggest supporters were in the cities. That's why communism sells. To someone who doesn't have anything (or wants to work for it) the idea of taking from someone who has it and giving it to you sounds good. Theft by government.

It's not any different here. If it wasn't for the Electoral College the elections for the POTUS would be decided in New York, Chicago, Boston and Los Angeles.

View attachment 6998155

Flyover country, kind of looks where I live. Sure hope you city dwellers read the tea leaves and get out while the getting's good, if it comes to that.

The following is all hypothetical...
Rural location, great elevated observation of all travel routes leading to site.
Year round water, large storage of potential food source.
"Friends" with access to storage facilities that store desirable items.

R

^^^^Like This?

Gavilon.JPG

What you don't see is 2 mill soybeans and 1 mil corn on outside pads covered with heavy poly. At the time photo was taken the main house (1.5 mill) would be full of HRS wheat, best there is. There's a unit like this every 20-25 miles around here, lots of farmers have 200-700K storage units.

Elevation around here is a tree, gravel pile or a barn. Or on top of one of these silos. Many miles on a clear day.

A good hand powered grain mill is on the '19 shipping list. 10#'s of corn meal and a box of Long rifles, what have you to trade?

You have to admit that some people are very protective of their bug out bag.

I think they might try to send the state to confiscate the food like they do in every country that falls to communism.

A lot depends on what the disaster is. If the disaster is such that the communist thieves at all levels still have their command and control structure available, I could see them sending out the police, national guard & local army to "secure supplies" for the "public good".

The scary thing is that is actually all already written in law thanks to the same evil politicians. I don't doubt that they will find plenty of takers in the police, national guard and army to do their bidding to make up for those that say to hell with robbing my fellow citizens at gun point (literally). Especially since I'm sure having them and their families be on the first wave of "distribution" will be part of the deal.

That will be the one problem for farmers that are more spread out and easy pickings for government, Militia and Criminal types to show up as an attack Gang and grab what they want. As Switchblade said about what his group would do... if they decide they "need" it and you won't give it on their terms (which may vary from we are killing you and taking the stuff, to we are taking the stuff and won't kill you, to offering trade for gold / ammo etc.) Especially farmers that have a bunch of meat on the hoof tempting for people. Or that nice hobby organic vegetable farm. For any of the big grain storage places that grain is not going anywhere unless somebody has big trucks, lots of them and big trucks are great long range targets.

This is however where having friends, communications, a plan and long range guns comes in handy... So somebody is on the way to raid the farm... they find nobody at the farm and the animals loose running around the fields.

Then after grabbing what they can, on the road back they find that a bunch of people from a mile away from the road, well hidden can hit minute of truck pretty well and bring their vehicles to a halt. Then it's just a great day for practicing target shooting till you get it right. Chances are the raiding squads probably will have a lot of CQB weapons and stuff, but not much that can hit back when you are well hidden, well covered and about a mile away.

Or on the way to do the grab, they suddenly find as they come around a turn that somebody has dumped & jacked trailer load of hay bales all across the road and into the medians and such... and then another group of somebodies decide it's an ELR match with reactive targets...

Or they send enough armed men to take over and secure a grain silo storage complex.... well for some reason all the trucks going in and out of it for the next 100 miles seem to be getting "disabled" one by one.

Communications and groups that can work together will be key to keeping areas safe.

Reactions: Longshot231
Then there are also the mercenaries. Some gun-for-hire types don't care what side they are on as long as they get paid. Whether that payment is gold, food, water or sex, it doesn't matter. They only care about one person - themselves.

Those can be the most ruthless as they have no conscience and could be your friend one minute then smile while they are slitting your throat a second later.

When I was in the military, I met very few who had a mercenary mindset. During our discussions in the down time we would talk about gun confiscation and martial law. The ones that were silent on the subject were the ones that probably had the mindset that; "I'm going to follow orders as long as I'm not hurt by it."

About half were pretty vocal about saying they would not violate a fellow citizen's civil rights. Some of that you could take with a grain of salt. When their paycheck or their family's welfare is on the line their attitudes change.

Then you also have the other type that says; "I don't give a damn about these people. The Army paid for my sex change and I got no problem sending an M-1 tank round through that guy's house."

Someone once said to me, jokingly, "I don't care who the dictator is as long as he makes me Chief of Police." Sadly, there are a lot of folks who don't joke about that and would love to be Chief of Police in a Police State.

Reactions: W54/XM-388
In the event your doc is hesitant to hand over a script for a general antibiotic, like Z-packs or amoxicillin, make friends with a veterinarian. Explain to him that your dog "Spot" and you are planning several extended hunting trips, and you'd like to be prepared in case Spot gets an infection. Spot weighs 60#.
Was just reading through again. Saw this.
You don’t need a vet. Try this. (No financial interest by the way)
http://www.fishmoxfishflex.com

A lot depends on what the disaster is. If the disaster is such that the communist thieves at all levels still have their command and control structure available, I could see them sending out the police, national guard & local army to "secure supplies" for the "public good".

The scary thing is that is actually all already written in law thanks to the same evil politicians. I don't doubt that they will find plenty of takers in the police, national guard and army to do their bidding to make up for those that say to hell with robbing my fellow citizens at gun point (literally). Especially since I'm sure having them and their families be on the first wave of "distribution" will be part of the deal.

That will be the one problem for farmers that are more spread out and easy pickings for government, Militia and Criminal types to show up as an attack Gang and grab what they want. As Switchblade said about what his group would do... if they decide they "need" it and you won't give it on their terms (which may vary from we are killing you and taking the stuff, to we are taking the stuff and won't kill you, to offering trade for gold / ammo etc.) Especially farmers that have a bunch of meat on the hoof tempting for people. Or that nice hobby organic vegetable farm. For any of the big grain storage places that grain is not going anywhere unless somebody has big trucks, lots of them and big trucks are great long range targets.

This is however where having friends, communications, a plan and long range guns comes in handy... So somebody is on the way to raid the farm... they find nobody at the farm and the animals loose running around the fields.

Then after grabbing what they can, on the road back they find that a bunch of people from a mile away from the road, well hidden can hit minute of truck pretty well and bring their vehicles to a halt. Then it's just a great day for practicing target shooting till you get it right. Chances are the raiding squads probably will have a lot of CQB weapons and stuff, but not much that can hit back when you are well hidden, well covered and about a mile away.

Or on the way to do the grab, they suddenly find as they come around a turn that somebody has dumped & jacked trailer load of hay bales all across the road and into the medians and such... and then another group of somebodies decide it's an ELR match with reactive targets...

Or they send enough armed men to take over and secure a grain silo storage complex.... well for some reason all the trucks going in and out of it for the next 100 miles seem to be getting "disabled" one by one.

Communications and groups that can work together will be key to keeping areas safe.

Even though I am primarily a handgunner, and can shoot pretty far with them, I think I am going to invest in some very powerful and long range shoulder/rest fired equipment too. Got a Sharps 1874 receiver sitting in my desk drawer that I acquired some years ago. I am going to dust it off and complete the build. Spring project. By the time the irises start blooming I am going to hoof it out to a place where blue skies and white clouds roll on as far as the eye can see and make some steel ring.

Make a Billy Dixon shot!

Hell yeah, I always wanted to try that. YouTube gunnie Mag30th has done some INCREDIBLE shit out to extreme ranges with out-of-box, unmodified K98's and M1 Garands.

Having grown up on tales of legendary Old West gunmen like Billy Dixon and Big Red Appleby, the feats that they accomplished with period firearms are things every BPCR shooter wants to replicate. There is no underestimating the power of 400 grains of lead propelled by 70 grains of FFg black powder. Add modern, cutting edge optics and you got a warhorse ready to fight in a new era.