• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

What is lapua smoking ?

Keep digging and thinking you’re the smartest in the room.

So your grading example. It’s a big run and then it’s downgraded throughout the QC process. It’s not a whole new production run.

I know what test barrels RWS and Lapua are using for a majority of the grading. I’m aware of the QC process to determine which line its branded as.
Easy to be the smartest in the room considering the company.

I think people are bitching at the fact that it’s center x rebranded. Most feel it’s a marketing exercise.
There was another thread for Lapua LR and SLR, that actually has some test data...it might be helpful to read documentation, rather than make bold claims.
This is through my Vudoo with 20" Ace MTU 1:16 twist, over a MagnetoSpeed V3.
test-data.jpg

What would be needed to design a new 22lr rimfire cartridge specifically for long range use? :unsure:

It'd need super tight muzzle velocities, almost zero manufacturing slop,
uniformly made bullets, brass, powder, primer and each cartridge
would have to be babied along the assembly line.
Batch testing would require a 95% +/- 1% level of confidence during evaluation.

15,000 cartridges in the batch, you'd have to test 5,856 cartridges to satisfy the parameters.
A third of the run tested to provide enough confidence to assure correct labeling.
That ain't happening, no how, no way. The price per cartridge would be prohibitive.

Reactions: lash
Some people need to shoot more and complain less. If you don’t like a product don’t buy it.
I am glad I’m not in 22 rimfire ammo business. Some of you hate all ammo.
I don’t care for golf. I spend zero time complaining about it on internet. I simply don’t play the game nor care who does. It’s a non issue in my life.

Last edited:
Welcome to the internet, where the thin skinned end up butt hurt for ridiculous reasons. :p

Welcome to the 'hide, where being insulted or belittled is part of the entertainment. :LOL:

Pretty much how a morning with a bunch of retired military shooters at the local range goes.
Timer goes off, ping the steels, get ragged on for whatever mistake was made while the next shooter gets ready.
Good times, eh? :cool:

Reactions: RTH1800
There was another thread for Lapua LR and SLR, that actually has some test data...it might be helpful to read documentation, rather than make bold claims.
This is through my Vudoo with 20" Ace MTU 1:16 twist, over a MagnetoSpeed V3.
View attachment 8104075
Your sample size of 1 doesn’t mean much to me. I’ve read and seen plenty of documentation on it. I’m glad you like it, but it doesn’t change much

Your sample size of 1 doesn’t mean much to me. I’ve read and seen plenty of documentation on it. I’m glad you like it, but it doesn’t change much
First off, you've "read and seen plenty of documentation"...oh really, I'd say my sample size of ONE is a fuck ton more reliable than your sample size of ZERO.

Secondly, I didn't state in that post whether I liked it or didn't like it, so you can take your assumption and stick it up your ass.

First off, you've "read and seen plenty of documentation"...oh really, I'd say my sample size of ONE is a fuck ton more reliable than your sample size of ZERO.

Secondly, I didn't state in that post whether I liked it or didn't like it, so you can take your assumption and stick it up your ass.

Great. I’m glad your sample size of one validates all you need to know.

I’ll come to you from now on to get all the data I need out of your rifle. Thanks for being a SME here.

Great. I’m glad your sample size of one validates all you need to know.

I’ll come to you from now on to get all the data I need out of your rifle. Thanks for being a SME here.
Where's your sample size? You've provided nothing to this thread other than some hearsay. When you post data that you got from your ammo, rifle, chrono, etc...come back and share it. Until then shut your cock holster.

I think the original intent was wondering why Lapua decided to add more SKUs when they can’t keep the demand of CX filled. Then it dove off the deep end as you see 😂
yeah it seems most people dont understand that SKU rationalization and capacity have nothing to do with each other

there are so many possible reasons to start a new product line despite capacity constraints that id wear out my keyboard ..lol

Reactions: lash
Except its not center X. Its a different velocity which means a different run/lines. No one knows if they are using the same powder, but they are using a different charge which means a different run.

Most people who understand this, know that these runs are made, tested and sold depending on how they shoot in their test barrels/fixtures.

Again, for PRS22 and NRL22x, you don't need BR level accuracy to win. Its much more forgiving, the targets are bigger and at the higher levels, score is based on shooter ability and skill, not ammo. Guys win matches with Eley Club and SK Standard Plus all the time.

Its Lapua rimfire ammo designed for long range PRS style shooting. The demand for this type of ammo is through the roof.

This is all common sense and logic. Sorry thats hard.
Actually it’s not a different velocity, the last 2 lots of Center X I shot in matches last year chrono’d 1105fps and 1103fps out of a 22.5” barrel.

I have not checked OAL on any of the LR\SLR. I was hesitant on posting because it is very limited testing. So keep that in mind.
Todd
Todd,

I got a couple of boxes of LR and SLR each. quick check on OAL and found both were within .005 of each round that is pretty consistent. I did find that LR measured 0.710-0.715 and SLR 0.725-0.730 hope to test them this Sunday. FYI at 50yds.

Lee

Reactions: todde
It sure was nice for those few weeks while that Dbag was banned…. That douche never adds anything useful to this place. He is like a cancer to Snipers Hide

Reactions: Terp and Csafisher
I didnt mean for this to be a poo poo thread on the new ammos just more confused why lapua would do this. I am just a simple country boy in podunk mississippi. I keep hearing about the demand from prs/nrl but out of the 10 billion rounds of 22 we shoot in the USA what % is "match" grade then out of that percent what % is "premium match"? Would this new ammo sell on par with all their biathlon type ammo? I have never heard any announcements that they where spending $Xmillions to build a new line to get into a new market segment (which they are usually proud to do) so it would seem that they are just using the same equipment with slightly different configurations to make this stuff. idk
Your commentary is exactly why no American company puts any effort into match grade 22 ammo. unlike the rest of the world, where competitive shooting is a major driver of equipment and ammo, most American ammo consumption is your typical tin can plinker. I don’t have any hard data but if I had to guess, I would imagine all types of precision shooting combined (bullseye,nrl/prs,benchrest,silhouette etc) probably account for less than 10% of the rimfire ammo market in the U.S., and American companies are happy with the lion’s share of the 90%.
by contrast precision shooting ammo is more of a world wide focus, especially in parts of the world with heavily regulated private firearms ownership where in many cases the only shooting you can do is organized precision competition.
I do agree the first mission of any company making any product is to generate a profit to cover expenses stay in business and stay relevant in the marketplace so it can do the same the following year.
if the best way lapua thinks it can do that is by marketing new types of ammo to certain market segments, then that is what they will do. at my skill level, I have sort of drawn a line in the sand regarding my ammo costs, and use SK. It does what I need it to do, and until I refine my skills much more, increasing my ammo cost isn’t going to help enough to be worth it. I will be pretty happy if I ever get to a point where I can tell the difference between my match performance with $10/ box ammo versus $18-20 per box ammo!

Well, I got some of the LR and SLR and I have to say I am impressed with how it shot. at 50yds. it shot pretty flat and consistent. I shot this target in our regular monthly match. though I dropped 5 points it wasn't because of the ammo but rather my missed calls on the condition a left to right my weak shooting condition. notice I used both LR and SLR to shoot this target.
rifle is an Anschutz 54 with BM HVRT with Nevius chamber. I also sort by OAL.

Lee

Attachments

• RBA shot with LR & SLR - Copy.jpg
    RBA shot with LR & SLR - Copy.jpg
    332.4 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
I just received some Lapua LRM 33 spd and SLRM ammo 35 spd. I mostly shoot CX and Midas + in 23, 27 and 28 speed depending on the rifle, ambient temps and other variables. I will be testing this in several rifles as time allows. This week I tested it in my CZ457 factory rifle at 50y. The ammo was compared with lot tested CX and Midas+ in 27 & 28 speed and 23 speed. The Long Range Match in 33 spd was promising in this rifle but at match time I ended up going with the tried and true Mid+ that has been working for me.

Next session is to be with my Sako GAP PRS match rifle. I have been using the same lots of CX and Mid+ in it with outstanding results. It will have to be really good to displace the other ammo. But, in the past this rifle performed its best groups with a lot of Lapua Biathlon Extreme at 35 spd but that ammo often fails to eject in my tightish match chamber. I am currently shooting this rifle out to 400y with good repeatable results. I will also try it in a pair of Winchester 52's and a Annie 54 as time allows. From what I have seen so far it is Polar Bi ammo with the summer blend lube on it. Not much different or better. Just a tad faster.

Reactions: Pipefitter I’m
😅 actually look at the bullet design and get back with us. Lapua biathlon extreme has a different shaped bullet than center x and Midas. Speed printed on the box is not what you will get , maybe but highly doubt it. From what I've seen a lot of test have shown the long range and super long range having 1050 speed or close to it. Just cause the lots you have may not shoot in any of your guns doesn't mean anything about the entire line of ammo. Everything has to be lot tested for best results regardless of the name on the box or the cost.
I believe you are right as they don't have any grooves for lube since they are pretty much dry with no lube.

Lee

Reactions: Turbo2
I wouldn't expect benchrest accuracy from either the Long Range or Super Long Range.
Why? The retail price. Lapua Midas+ and X-Act are 40 to 60 cents a cartridge.
LR and Super LR are about 35 cents a cartridge.
Less quality control needed, lower standards during testing, less expensive.
It looks like CenterX, in a fancy box, based on appearance and target results.

I wouldn't expect benchrest accuracy from either the Long Range or Super Long Range.
Justin,
Don’t you realize that huge corporations often make mistakes and sell at a loss?

I think it’s re boxed Midas L at 50% discount.
Will shoot .25 MOA at 100 yards all day long if I do my part! 😂😂😂

RT, getting ready for y'er evening at the improv are ya'? :p

RT will be here all week folks... don't forget to try the veal.

Reactions: RTH1800
Price has nothing to do with it. you have to test and see how it shoots. as far as this new stuff being BR capable, I would say it is. 17x &19X is nothing to sneeze at especially in the conditions they were shot in.

Lee

Attachments

• RBA shot with LR & SLR - Copy.jpg
    RBA shot with LR & SLR - Copy.jpg
    332.4 KB · Views: 41
  • SLR RBA target - Copy.jpg
    SLR RBA target - Copy.jpg
    421.2 KB · Views: 40
Reactions: brianf