• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What is the best caliber for shooting 1300 yards?

corycarner

Private
Minuteman
Jan 17, 2012
Kansas
I was curious what is everybodies thoughts on what caliber and gun is best for shooting 1300+ yardage?

Re: What is the best caliber for shooting 1300 yards?

Shooting what? Targets? Animals? This question has been asked ten thousand times. You have homework.

It will be used for mainly target shooting. I appoligize i am new to the site and just learning my way around here and starting to get into rifle shooting.

Welcome to the hide. There is alot a person can learn on here. Stay on the hide and you will see there is alot of favorites. The bigger the caliber,(bullet weight) the easier to see the splashes. I recommend 7mm WSM with at least 168-180gr bullets. 300WSM with 208-210gr, 300WM same bullet weights as WSM, 338 Norma, 338 Lapua. Those are the ones that have good barrel life and very popular. Hope that helps.

What you need is the .950JD

Good for everything from tree squirrels in your back yard to popping Elephants at 5000 meters supersonic.

Advantages;

Low recoil
Outstanding barrel life
.25 MOA accuracy from 10'-5000m
Factory ammo readily available at around $22.00 per 20 @ MidwayUSA
Cheap to reload
Brass can last up to 30 reloads
Very light weight making it an excellent hunting rifle for dall sheep at 10,000'+ elevations.
If you give Remington a call I'm sure they have some in stock for $1000.00 or so.
When you purchase directly from Remington they will provide you with a NF ZXS F1 scope for around $500.00 or so.

In my mind this is the ultimate starter rifle.

Ah the .950JD, best tractor caliber around. Why have multiple rounds when one will pretty much crush everything in the target's vicinity...

too funny.

To the OP, dude, if you're just starting, then start at short range, like 50yds, with a .22lr on iron sights. Learn to shoot before shooting for the moon.

Good luck.

Don't even worry about 1300+ bro. Like EventHorizon stated, start close.

What you need is a caliber that will so you well from 0-1000, good barrel life, low recoil, readily available ammunition and components, and a capable cartridge.

My advice would be to go with a .308 win for all of the above stated reasons. You don't need a caliber that overcomes the wind and smokes barrels. The .308 will make you learn to read the wind and make the proper adjustment. This caliber will kill just about anything in North America, has a barrel life of around 5000 rds (depending on how you shoot and your loads), and lots of sources for good factory ammunition.

I would look at the following rifles, some people will call these "starter rifles" but I strongly disagree. You can use this caliber/rifle and never out grow it.

REM 700 PSS
REM 700 Milspec 5r

Then look for a decent budget scope the following are all sufficient;

Super Sniper 10x42,..:................... $300.00
Bushnell Elite 4200 series ............. $650.00
Vortex PST........................................ $750.00

You could be into a pretty decent setup for around $1500.00 or so and if you look on the For Sale section here you may be able to get one for a great deal. Hope that helps.

Where are the wizards comments on a 308 with a Bushy or a variant of a necked down 338 with a S&B on top..
You will probably miss your target if you’re not running one of these setups.
Let not forget the $8k AI you must purchase or you’ll miss for sure..

260. If you don't reload you can buy some nice match ammo from Hide vendor Southwest Ammunition. Low recoil, good barrel life, and will reach 1,300+.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SVG308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">260. If you don't reload you can buy some nice match ammo from Hide vendor Southwest Ammunition. Low recoil, good barrel life, and will reach 1,300+. </div></div>

Wow. I know 260 has a flatter trajectory than 308, but can it really travel out to 1300 easier? I have no experience with that round.

82mm Mortar,..105mm Light Gun both will suffice at that distance

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: johnsta</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SVG308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">260. If you don't reload you can buy some nice match ammo from Hide vendor Southwest Ammunition. Low recoil, good barrel life, and will reach 1,300+. </div></div>

Wow. I know 260 has a flatter trajectory than 308, but can it really travel out to 1300 easier? I have no experience with that round. </div></div>

Without a doubt. Should remain supersonic well past 1300.

A remington 308 with a 175 SMK moving at 2600 will stay supersonic past 1000. Probably get you to 1100 then be transonic. 1000 yards is far enough trust me, expecially if your walking it!

but to answer your question a 50 BMG would be a great all around choice. 338 lapua is also a good one!

In all seriousness, 308 or 30 06. Easy to find ammunition for, fairly cheap to load/shoot.

How about a 223 bolt action? If you have a fast twist barrel you can run nice heavy bullets and get out to some range. Cheaper ammunition for close practice or plinking is easy to get too.

i know about a quarter of you are trolling but theres some of you that i just cant tell. a 50 Bmg is by no means a great all around cartridge. .223 is a great choice if your a beginner but theres not a chance in hell it will make it to 1300 reliably. however while it shouldn't be a dedicated elr rig it would be a blast shooting steel at that range with it. 6.5x284 is a barrel burner. if your new to the game get a .308, if your not and you reload get a 6.5 or 7mm variant. dont cheap out on the scope is should cost bare minimum half as much as your gun. if you dont know what the hell im talking about listen to seth8541 he will explain it all and push you in the right direction

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Seth8541</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't even worry about 1300+ bro. Like EventHorizon stated, start close.

What you need is a caliber that will so you well from 0-1000, good barrel life, low recoil, readily available ammunition and components, and a capable cartridge.

My advice would be to go with a .308 win for all of the above stated reasons. You don't need a caliber that overcomes the wind and smokes barrels. The .308 will make you learn to read the wind and make the proper adjustment. This caliber will kill just about anything in North America, has a barrel life of around 5000 rds (depending on how you shoot and your loads), and lots of sources for good factory ammunition.

I would look at the following rifles, some people will call these "starter rifles" but I strongly disagree. You can use this caliber/rifle and never out grow it.

REM 700 PSS
REM 700 Milspec 5r

Then look for a decent budget scope the following are all sufficient;

Super Sniper 10x42,..:................... $300.00
Bushnell Elite 4200 series ............. $650.00
Vortex PST........................................ $750.00

You could be into a pretty decent setup for around $1500.00 or so and if you look on the For Sale section here you may be able to get one for a great deal. Hope that helps.</div></div>

This right here. Follow this mans advice. Not only a great round to learn to shoot with, there is plenty of match grade ammo around, but also a great round to learn to reload on. If you find long range is for you then you are going to want to start doing that, and the 308 is rather forgiving for the beginning reloader.
The 5r is more than accurate enough that you won't outshoot it for a long time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 10X</div><div class="ubbcode-body">6.5x284 </div></div>

That would be my choice..

If you are shooting paper I say 260 Rem, great ballistics

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Seth8541</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What you need is the .950JD

In my mind this is the ultimate starter rifle.
</div></div>

+1

Im just curious where you can shoot 1300 yds in kansas

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: midkansasguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im just curious where you can shoot 1300 yds in kansas </div></div>

we went to a 1400 yard field in atchison ans were shooting at 1209. the furthest part was too muddy so we just moved up a bit.

Everybody have their favorites when it comes to what caliber and what rifle to shoot, but since you are just starting you must reconsider price of ammo for your training. Are you reloading ammo? if money is not an issue then get a good .22LR rifle like the person above said to get you started and a good .308 rifle like a Savage precision rifle to do your long range shooting. Now if you're getting a medium priced rifle and go cheap on the scope then you're going backwards. At 1300y a .308 is almost to it's max point target range, but I've seen people who shot 1 mile with a .308 with positive results. 308 ammo are readily available and price are not too expensive (match ammo are different story) I highly recommend a .308 but I'm a 6.5 Creedmoor guy all the way...

I'd dismiss a lot of the above as sass being aimed at a newguy. No real harm, but they coulda been a tad more helpful.

Your question and the way it's framed would tend to suggest you're new to a lot fo this. S' OK, we were all like that some time or other; and not always in our beginnings.

Basically, if you gotta ask such questions, the answers aren't going to be all that helpful. You need to start somewhere, and doing 1300yd with an unfamiliar caliber isn't usually the best place.

I'm going to suggest a .22lr at 50yd, then 100yd, then 200yd. I am not being condescending; this is genuinely good advice. You get good at the basics up close, then stretch the envelope. The .22lr is at least as good as any other caliber to train on, the price is a lot more right than some supahdupah moosewhacker magnums; and ya don't need to go looking for places where ya can actually and safely shoot 1300yd.

Seriously, and if I'm dead wrong about your background; I suggest the .280 Rem. Most folks here are probably gonna disagree with me. But a .280 Rem with a 168 grain match bullet will carry that mail, and do it with a minimum of collateral mayhem.

I see from your other posts that you're a bit short on experience, but I also see that your questions appear sincere and based on genuine interest. I'm inclined to meet your questions on such a basis. No harm with being eager and wanting to jump in with both feet, but sometime or other you're going to have to go with the small and simple route, and doing it in the beginning is the only real way to actually make that work.

Believe me Pal, when you can hit completely inside a quarter-sized circle at 50yd with a .22 on request, you're doing very, very well. When you can do it at 100yd, you're formidable. Many (and often enough that includes myself) can't do that with a .223. It is possible with the .22, but never easy. By such accomplishments are genuine marksmen made.

The 1300yd stuff comes later.

Greg

Grab a reloading manual and look at the velocities of various bullets that would be needed to keep them super sonic at that range. Once you decide on a caliber then all you have to do is figure out how much pain and how little barrel life you want to deal with to choose the cartridge. After that it's just money.

Cheers,

Doc

I love reading Greg's posts. They're always well thought out and well written.

I second what Greg said.

Learning true marksmanship is honestly done on a .22 and, if you're lucky, as a kid. Learning how to properly apply marksmanship fundamentals are so easy to teach on a .22... after somebody learns how to hit consistantly with a .22 then, it's easy to move past that onto your 375,408,338,.50 cal application because teaching on a magnum caliber is something completely different.

Having the fundamentals drilled into you shooting a .22 can never be overlooked. This may not be the sexy answer but, it's an honest one. Hell, shooting off a bipod isn't hard but, if you don't possess the proper ability to plant your face on the same part of the stock, line up the shot correctly, load the bipod and have the proper trigger disipline, follow through and the ability to call the shot then, you're pissing away expensive ammunition and going to be frusterated at the end of the day, IMHO.

And, to answer the OP's original question, I'd buy a rifle of 6.5 caliber.... there are several and all are fantastic for 1300yds. Now that answer is sort of loaded.... You should learn how to hand load your own ammunition for this kind of application. Remember you came to a place where there are a lot of folks here that take this very seriously and, you can't be serious unless you hand load for accuracy, IMHO.

If you are serious about learning how to make 1300+ hits then, you have to have good equipment and, you have to learn how to make that equipment work to the best of it's ability. Even the best of equipment will only shoot maybe 1.5moa unless you load for it.... you can watch those groups go from 1.5moa down to .25moa or less based on what the rifle wants to shoot. Actually, there are many loads that will do better than 1.5moa BUT, when you actually work up loads, you will find that the worst ammo for your rifle will go all the way out to about 1.5moa and get back to .25moa or even smaller when you find the correct load for it.

You will find, for example, when shooting at 1000yds... you'd think a 1.5" group at 100yds would transfer to 15" at 1000yds but, that's not true. Because the bullet is in the air for about 1.6 seconds, that 15" group you'd expect will go to 25" and that is if you are a good wind caller.

So, you'r half inch group really ends up being about a 10" plate on most days at the 1000yd range and that is when you load for it.

The good news in all of this is that everyone here is very helpful.

If you don't want to hand load for now, buy a 308... if you have cash and can afford it, buy the 6.5 of your choice and there are a few really good guys that sell custom loads for pretty much anything you want to buy. The 6.5s are all great calibers, they all reach pretty far out and are about the most economical in terms of cost to shoot them... so, 260rem, 6.5 creedmore, 6.5x47 Lapua or even the 6.5x284 if you are a speed demon. I shoot a 300wm most of the time but, the 6.5s do just as well and don't burn all the powder I do.

I'll give the OP the thumbs up for this... you do decide on the application for which you're shooting then, you find the bullet, then you find the rifle.

The application is the important thing. Frame what it is you're trying to do first.. then find what will work best for you. There are so many things to weigh. Cost... cost of barrel life, cost of projectiles, cost of brass and powder... they all count for something. If you want to know what the best cartridge for 1300+ applications with no regard for cost, contact Dave Viers at Viersco... he'll hook you up with a 375VM that will shoot a 375gr pill at 3500fps and you can extend that 1300yds to 3000+.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: matthewusmc8791</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where are the wizards comments on a 308 with a Bushy or a variant of a necked down 338 with a S&B on top..
You will probably miss your target if you’re not running one of these setups.
Let not forget the $8k AI you must purchase or you’ll miss for sure..
</div></div>

FRICKIN HILARIOUS MAN! Im gonna order an AI right now so i wont miss anymore! It will hit targets at 1700 in 30 MPH swirling winds right?

I been learning for about the last year at longer range. The one thing that helps me the most is shooting similar gear to my buddies (who have alot more experience). We shoot 260s more than anything with moa/moa scopes but this helps me learn to range things, they can also help me with dope,wind calls etc. My first purchase was a 223 with moa/mil scope the problem here was they were shooting bigger guns with moa/moa scopes (they were calling shots in a different language). I realize I rambled here a bit but the bottom line is it would've been cheaper in the long run to spend a little more money up front than to have to start all over again.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cropins</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I been learning for about the last year at longer range. The one thing that helps me the most is shooting similar gear to my buddies (who have alot more experience). We shoot 260s more than anything with moa/moa scopes but this helps me learn to range things, they can also help me with dope,wind calls etc. My first purchase was a 223 with moa/mil scope the problem here was they were shooting bigger guns with moa/moa scopes (they were calling shots in a different language). I realize I rambled here a bit but the bottom line is it would've been cheaper in the long run to spend a little more money up front than to have to start all over again. </div></div>

Yep, moa/moa or, mil/mil will help you a lot. If your friends are shooting 260, get yourself a 260 and learn what they are doing about loading and spend some time at their loading bench.... most folks love to teach, myself included.

260s are great long range rifles... they'll reach 1500.. no problem... they also don't break the bank to shoot them if you load for them. You can actually afford to feed the damned thing and it will still reach pretty far out there.

If you're still looking or about to look for a rifle, I'd start by looking here on the hide.... I purchased a rifle on here and got a great deal on it... actually, I've purchased two rifles here... one slightly used and another new.... found a slightly used NSX here also and saved a ton of up front cash. Lots of folks here trade around gear... trade up.... trade off.

Bottom line is you wont shoot 1300 yards but a very small percentage of the time.
In those rare instances you really will need .300 wm or better to see steel splash at 1300+, 260 may do it, but why take a chance.
If this is a first precision rifle, it has to be a .308
This round historically is the most consistent with factory and easy to reload.
You can find ammunition anywhere, even wally world.
The round hits hard enough to see steel splash at 1000 yards.
It can humanely take any north american game animal with correct bullets and placement.