• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What is the best home defense or CQB offensive gun?

Kennn

Private
Minuteman
Nov 23, 2023
Nevada
I presume it is a suppressed SBR. Is it a 300 blackout gun or something more powerful like a 308? If so, which? The DDM4 V7P seems great, but possibly the barrel is too long at 10.3”? What suppressor, short or long?

For attachments, I would prefer an EXPS3-0, Cloud Rein 3.0, flip up irons, and a VFG. That’s all I think it would need as this would be used as a room clearing and short engagement distance gun.

Price doesn’t matter.

Where do you live? Urban area or rural? I don’t think I’d want a .308 as home defense unless there were no people or dwellings nearby.

Most seem to favor either a 5.56 or .300 suppressed when these threads come up.

Reactions: 91Eunozs
Where do you live? Urban area or rural? I don’t think I’d want a .308 as home defense unless there were no people or dwellings nearby.

Most seem to favor either a 5.56 or .300 suppressed when these threads come up.
Somewhat urban. 300 supers?

I presume it is a suppressed SBR. Is it a 300 blackout gun or something more powerful like a 308? If so, which? The DDM4 V7P seems great, but possibly the barrel is too long at 10.3”? What suppressor, short or long?

For attachments, I would prefer an EXPS3-0, Cloud Rein 3.0, flip up irons, and a VFG. That’s all I think it would need as this would be used as a room clearing and short engagement distance gun.

Price doesn’t matter.
Typical order of home defense, based on my experiences in law enforcement & military (again, MY opinions & suggestions):

1) Shotgun (home defense slugs)
2) 300Blackout SBR - Suppressed (Hornady 190-X subsonic, Fiocchi 220gr subsonic, etc)
3) 9mm Suppressed (147gr 9mm subsonic is what I've heard [my opinion] is typical)

Beyond that, it's a crapshoot on what to use. I also suggest a high-candella flashlight be nearby at all times; in a dark room, something like the SureFire M640-DFT-Pro with 100,000 candella can temporarily blind an aggressor to give you the tactical edge.

Typical order of home defense, based on my experiences in law enforcement & military (again, MY opinions & suggestions):

1) Shotgun (home defense slugs)
2) 300Blackout SBR - Suppressed (Hornady 190-X subsonic, Fiocchi 220gr subsonic, etc)
3) 9mm Suppressed (147gr 9mm subsonic is what I've heard [my opinion] is typical)

Beyond that, it's a crapshoot on what to use. I also suggest a high-candella flashlight be nearby at all times; in a dark room, something like the SureFire M640-DFT-Pro with 100,000 candella can temporarily blind an aggressor to give you the tactical edge.
I have a Tavor TS-12 for home defense currently but I feel off with only 16 rounds even though each one is very powerful. Also that it’s not a magazine swap like a rifle.

Everyone tells me to get an SBR for CQB—but a Benelli M4 is the length of a 16” AR + suppressor.

Reactions: USK308
I have a Tavor TS-12 for home defense currently but I feel off with only 16 rounds even though each one is very powerful. Also that it’s not a magazine swap like a rifle.

Everyone tells me to get an SBR for CQB—but a Benelli M4 is the length of a 16” AR + suppressor.
Benelli M4...I'll two, to-go please (lmao).

I'd look at building yourself a 300Blackout SBR. It's a bit of a process to get the Form 1 submitted and approved, then buying a suppressor and waiting for the 'Can Police' (lol) to finish their due diligence...

The suppressed 300 Blackout with subsonic ammo is totally designed around CQB.

Benelli M4...I'll two, to-go please (lmao).

I'd look at building yourself a 300Blackout SBR. It's a bit of a process to get the Form 1 submitted and approved, then buying a suppressor and waiting for the 'Can Police' (lol) to finish their due diligence...

The suppressed 300 Blackout with subsonic ammo is totally designed around CQB.
Thank you. Do you recommend the V7P or something else? Again, price doesn’t matter for this. Also, I just wanted to follow up on the M4 thing, why do people consider shotguns ideal for home defense when they are so long? Why are SBRs preferred over full length rifles if shotguns are ok?

Nothing says “you entered the wrong house” like a 870 racking a buckshot round. Just saying…

Your agency likely has the correct ammo….
I wonder how effective a system where you (after putting on hearing protection) have a strobe system throughout the entire house and play an ear piercing 160db noise repeatedly.

Thank you. Do you recommend the V7P or something else? Again, price doesn’t matter for this. Also, I just wanted to follow up on the M4 thing, why do people consider shotguns ideal for home defense when they are so long? Why are SBRs preferred over full length rifles if shotguns are ok?
Re: Shotgun: Slugs and 12ga double-ought buckshot can do quit a bit of damage without a ton of concern for penetration of walls beyond your home.

SBR because if you DO have to move around the house, the short-barrel with suppressor is far easier to move around with in the house. Imagine a regular M4/AR15 with a 16" barrel + suppressor. Even the shortest suppressor out there will add 5+ inches to the barrel length. If you have an SBR with a 7, 8, 9 or 10" barrel with a suppressor, you will be much shorter overall barrel length. Suppressed SBR with subsonic rounds have less likelihood of penetrating walls beyond the house (not 100% a guarantee, but less likelihood than a supersonic round).

I would stick to the 300 blackout subsonic for home defense or CQB use. 5.56 just doesn't have the some effect.

Tons of options out there. I built my 300BO SBR as I didn't want to go off-the-shelf (personal preference).

I wonder how effective a system where you (after putting on hearing protection) have a strobe system throughout the entire house and play an ear piercing 160db noise repeatedly.
About as effective as the boat load of drugs the psycho who just entered your house has in them…

But by all means blow that rape whistle. Eventually someone will hear it…

Herd of Weiner Dogs trained to attack
12 Gauge with hot number 4 hunting loads, 16 inch barrel, open choke, rigged for light, RDS
14.5" with PW flash suppressor, collapsing stock, in whatever caliber you are able to use, rigged for light, RDS

Reactions: BLEE
Are you asking all these questions for academic interest?

glowie profile.jpg

"In keeping with California's strict gun laws, silencers are illegal to use or possess in the state per Penal Code 33410 PC."

I've built a sandbagged revetment at the end of the hallway, at the master bedroom door. Ohio Ordinance 1914. It's only semiautomatic, but I've equipped it with a GatCrank and shown the wife how to feed belts. We practice often and are hoping for burglars one day.

The only firearm I ever offended anyone with was an SBR with a brake on it. The guys the firing line found it very offensive. Good thinking on the suppressor.

Reactions: 1911hombre
I can’t believe y’all haven’t seen the glow yet. It’s awful bright.
What’s worse is all the quail heads saying he needs a shotgun.
Talk about stupid advice.

@Ken Mueller Get something you are proficient with. That’s important.
If a shotgun is that thing then go for it.
If it is a pistol or carbine, there is you answer.
If shotguns were that fantastic they would be used by everyone all over the world.

Glow on!

Reactions: Charmingmander
Shotgun with bird shot , lower abdomen will knock down anyone. Wait 15-20 minutes than make the call to 911 .

It's pretty easy to line every entry point of your house with a super sticky adhesive so the peeps have to take off their shoes. The next part is really important. Place a new pair of Velcro sneakers where they will be able to easily put them on and have an incendiary device that triggers when the Velcro is disengaged. Problem solved. Merry Xmas you filthy bastards

It's pretty easy to line every entry point of your house with a super sticky adhesive so the peeps have to take off their shoes. The next part is really important. Place a new pair of Velcro sneakers where they will be able to easily put them on and have an incendiary device that triggers when the Velcro is disengaged. Problem solved. Merry Xmas you filthy bastards
Merry Christmas!

Reactions: thejeep
What’s worse is all the quail heads saying he needs a shotgun.
Talk about stupid advice.
I mean for home defense it can be the correct answer depending on your environment, but only with the correct ammunition.

if you're in apartment / semi-dense suburban then something good and reliable like an A300 / 1301 or a good pump with frangible matrix slugs (DDupleks Kaviar are the best, but there are others) does a lot of work without overpenetration being a concern.

If you're in the midwest.... just get geese, those assholes are better than guard dogs.

I mean for home defense it can be the correct answer depending on your environment, but only with the correct ammunition.

if you're in apartment / semi-dense suburban then something good and reliable like an A300 / 1301 or a good pump with frangible matrix slugs (DDupleks Kaviar are the best, but there are others) does a lot of work without overpenetration being a concern.

If you're in the midwest.... just get geese, those assholes are better than guard dogs.
True. I never thought about geese as part of a security plan. But that’s brilliant! They don’t miss much and can sure alert everyone within a mile.

Reactions: 91Eunozs
True. I never thought about geese as part of a security plan. But that’s brilliant! They don’t miss much and can sure alert everyone within a mile.
My maternal grandfather actually had exactly that setup on his property in WV. Mean as hell, and very aggressive.

Found out later they were the alarm system for his still hidden back in a played-out coal mine. LoL

Re: Shotgun: Slugs and 12ga double-ought buckshot can do quit a bit of damage without a ton of concern for penetration of walls beyond your home.
this was proven False. The FBI did a test years ago and Slugs/00 buck penetrated standard construction like it’s barely even anything in the way.

556 penetrated significantly less

this was proven False. The FBI did a test years ago and Slugs/00 buck penetrated standard construction like it’s barely even anything in the way.

556 penetrated significantly less

I was wondering about that one. Having had shot a 12" thick pine tree, and finding the slug 30 yards behind it buried in another tree, I would have my doubts of using a slug in a house.

19 sheets vs 10 sheets. Both are enough to tag your apartment neighbor or offspring in another room. Generally speaking, if it is suitable for home defense, it is an “over penetration” hazard.

19 sheets vs 10 sheets. Both are enough to tag your apartment neighbor or offspring in another room. Generally speaking, if it is suitable for home defense, it is an “over penetration” hazard.
That's what she said