• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What is the best powder for 6.5 Creedmoor (even if not available)

CTG

Private
Minuteman
Jun 16, 2021
Fl

I was trying to reply to a response I’d just received,and I’m not at all good at navigating this site.

I haven't used the Win 6.5, but I have had good luck with other purpose built powders like CFE .223. I would imagine that the StaBall is good and meters way better than most alternatives.

One legit knock on the H4350 is that being a temp-stable, stick powder it meters like shit. This is simply true. I use it so much that when I go to a ball powder to load something else I am amazed how the ChargeMaster can throw a perfect charge. When I load for percision using the H3450 I underthrow and then trickle to a scale. This takes more time, but I get low SD/ES and never have vertical dispersion at range either...

When in doubt--find out what top shooters use--it also helps with alternatives if something isn't avilable. A good example I post often:

I've managed to snag H4350, and IMR4451 as I started reloading right as the pandemic hit ( I haven't tried the others, but I've seen them float by as well)

Its not the end-all be-all, but its a start.

As always "F*** Varget"

I don't know why people indulge lazy posters that want everything handed to them.

I remember a dude that actually wanted to be taught how to reload on here. He got pissy when told by several to buy a reloading manual and start reading.

How boomer of us.......
I thought this thread was the sequel to “what’s the best reloading powder”:

in order rl 17, 16 , Imr 4350 and imr 4451 , hybrid 100v , h4350 , aa 4350 , 6.5 sta bal and n555 went from fastest powder with the least amount of powder needed to slowest powders needing more to get the same speeds .at some point or another they all had loads that shot extreamly nice some are just much better than other at either faster speeds or slower speeds .. best of luck what ever you happen to be looking for . after trying rl 16 all I can say is it's nothing like rl17 nothing it's more like n555 weak.

Last edited:
I've been using H-4350 for going on 20 years, and I like it. I also tried N-540 but it seems to have been a bit too hot. N-550 or N-560 might have been better, but by then I was solidly hooked on H-4350.

I'm also experimenting with H-4831SC. When I first stated with the 260 I tried it, but I was shooting a 24" and probably would have done better using it in a longer barrel. Now I'm shooting a 28" and I think the H-4831SC may be a better choice for this one.

Greg

When in doubt--find out what top shooters use--it also helps with alternatives if something isn't avilable. A good example I post often:

I've managed to snag H4350, and IMR4451 as I started reloading right as the pandemic hit ( I haven't tried the others, but I've seen them float by as well)

Its not the end-all be-all, but its a start.

As always "F*** Varget"
That F*** Varget worked pretty good tonight....
20211018_192901.jpg

Distance: 250

Attachments

• 20211018_192905.jpg
    20211018_192905.jpg
    303.4 KB · Views: 156
Reactions: DocRDS
nice to see some can take the time to answer a question with a decent response on here still, as decency seems to be in short supply anymore. It's always interesting to see what kind of results guys are getting with substitute powders, since the go to's are in short supply. A friend loaded for 3 different 6.5's with Sta bal recently, one shot lights out, the other 2 just ok. Mine works best with H4350, but i'm wanting to try some others

I've been interested in Staball, but I also haven't wanted to take on a powder with more temp sensitivity, despite knowing that I'll almost certainly never be able to tell the difference.

For the OP: H4350 is the most popular for a reason, but that means it's also as hard to find as a buck on public land after opening day (ask me how I know). I committed to RL16 awhile back, because it offers similar performance and the rabid hordes haven't yet caught onto it. Good news is, even if they do, I've got 3.5 jugs and that'll give me enough time to find the Next Best Thing.

RL16 fan here. Berger 130 AR Hybrids and my 24" barrel like this powder just a little bit more than H4350. RL16 also has a decoppering agent that H4350 doesn't. I have found RL16 to be very temperature stable as well.

Reactions: matt33
nice to see some can take the time to answer a question with a decent response on here still, as decency seems to be in short supply anymore. It's always interesting to see what kind of results guys are getting with substitute powders, since the go to's are in short supply. A friend loaded for 3 different 6.5's with Sta bal recently, one shot lights out, the other 2 just ok. Mine works best with H4350, but i'm wanting to try some others
If you don't already get why a super broad open ended, borderline ridiculous question like the OP's generates hostility then no one will be able to explain it to you.

...the one that you can actually get your hands on at the time ;)

...all joking aside, one way to determine what could be used is to visit the powder manufactures websites and download their free load data, if only to determine what powders they consider "suitable" and "recommended" for a particular caliber. Hodgdon's site has a fairly extensive listing of bullet weights and powders, just run the query for ALL bullets, ALL powders. After the last "shortage period" I started testing multiple components for my calibers so I could identify alternatives that worked for my barrels, it's helping me out immensely now, especially when things pop up in alerts, despite the limits on quantity.

Reactions: CTG
I prefer Varget with 120 to 130 gr bullets and H4350 or R16 for 120 to 147gr bullets. R16 performs well but is a little bulky, resulting in compressed loads sometimes. Haven’t tried any yet, but R15.5 sounds interesting for 120 to 130gr bullets too.

John

There are so many variables to consider in loading, that just one component will probably not make that 100% difference. It also depends on what you're looking for; will you be content with nice, pretty good groups, or do want that sweet spot, where all 5 are in one ragged hole with no fliers? If that is the case, your search will likely be much longer. Every gun is different as well and knowing everything about the fit of the case in that gun will be very important. The closest I've come to the 6.5CM is loading for the 6.5 Grendel. After quite a few powder/bullet combinations, probably the two most important items, after all your other loading steps are up to snuff, I did find the sweet spot, one ragged hole for all 5 with consistent results from 10% below, right up to max.. Hornady then promptly discontinued the A-Max, MY BULLET! The frustrating thing is that with shortages of everything, load development has had to take a back seat to maximizing component and ammo stocks on hand, for where we all know these rounds will be going, very soon!

Over here in Europe almost every American powder is banned so we are using Vit 150 and Reload Swiss RS60 and RS62 with great results, these are normally used in Lapua small primer case's with CCI 450 primers and topped with a 139 Lapua Scanar freedom pill

Reactions: r.tenorio671
Will you guys stop running your mouth about 4350 please. It’s already hard enough to find, now we got one more guy looking for it 😉
Actually H4350 and Lapua brass are the only decisions I’d made before contacting the Hide. But I know what you mean about having more people trying to get it.

Reactions: Darkside-Six
While I agree theoretically that "it depends," saying only that provides exactly zero help to the person asking the question. It comes across as very condescending. Think what they are asking. "I'm new to reloading 6.5 CM and would like some advice from more experienced reloaders of this cartridge. Could you please recommend what you would think is a good powder for me to get started with?" Yes his exact wording could have been different, he could have added "and don't be a horses ass in your answer" to address the rampant elitist snobbery of "There is no best, begone peon!" worthless responses. Remember Thumper in Bambi? At least Thumper's Mama taught him right. Forums are to help intelligent people with less knowledge gain additional knowledge, not to puff up your own ego with mental masturbation.
@CGT, If by some act of God you can find the Hodgdon H4350 almost everyone here recommends (thus perhaps the "best" for a 6.5 CM newbie), start with that and it will carry you a long way. Since H4350 is currently harder to locate than primers, you'll probably have to start with some good alternatives. Whatever powder you go with, until you get your trigger touch down, no powder will help you significantly. Once your LR shooting gets proficient enough for you to want to trim your 100 meter or 100 yard groups to under .2 MRAD or .5 MOA on a still day, then you can and should start testing different powders to trim fractions off your groups. Look into some of the other powders listed here above. Some that I have heard are also very workable powders to substitute for H4350 which you CAN find are IMR4451 (same parent company as H4350 maker), VihtaVouri N150, Alliant Reloader 16 (good temp stability and has copper fouling agents the others don't). I've also heard Reloader 23 is used by at least 1 PRS/NRL winner (but I don't know who).You will likely find that any of those and perhaps a few others listed here by others will at least be in the "group of the best to get started with."
Oh, and buy https://modernspartansystems.com/starter-kit-plus for $60. You're welcome in advance. Happy reloading & shooting!

Or he can open a fucking reloading manual.

Zero fucks given about the lazy who ask even the most basic questions WITHOUT any effort on their part.

I keep deep (unreasonable even) reserve stocks of H4350 for a reason, and it doesn't just make consistent 6.5 cartridges either.
so there I was on Midway's site the other morning and saw they had H4350 in stock. Never tried it so I hemmed and hawed and by the time I decided I'd try a few pounds, they were out again

I DO have 6.5 Staball and AA4350 to go thru, but am going to jump on the h4350 next time I see it

M

I'm not sure why you decided to hotlink to a product which is not even remotely relevant to the reloading section, let alone to this thread. Are you associated with the company that you linked?
First and only post.

Reactions: 308pirate
While I agree theoretically with the "there is no best" and "it depends" folk, saying that provides exactly zero help to @CTG, the person asking the question. It comes across as very condescending. Think what he was asking. "I'm new to reloading 6.5 CM and would like some advice from more experienced reloaders of this cartridge. Could you please suggest the powder you wish you would have started with?" Yes his exact wording could have been different, he could have added "and don't be a horse's ass in your answer" to address the rampant elitist snobbery of "There is no best, begone peon!" responses. Think of whaat Thumper said in Bambi. At least Thumper's Mama taught him right. Forums are to help intelligent people with less knowledge gain additional knowledge none of us were born with, not to puff up your own ego with the mental masturbation of childish one-upmanship.
@CGT, -=IF=- by some act of God you can find the Hodgdon H4350 almost everyone here recommends (thus perhaps the "best" for a 6.5 CM newbie), start with that and it will carry you a long way. Since H4350 is currently harder to locate than primers, you'll probably have to start with some good alternatives. Whatever powder you go with, until you get your trigger touch down (which you may already have), no powder will help you significantly. Once your LR shooting gets proficient enough for you to want to trim your 100 meter or 100 yard groups to under .2 MRAD or 1/2 MPOA, then you can and should start testing different powders to trim fractions off your groups. look at some of the other powders listed here above. Some that I have heard of that are also very workable powders to substitute for H4350 which you CAN find are IMR4451 (same parent company as H4350 maker), VihtaVouri N150, and Alliant Reloader 16 which has the outstanding temp stability of H4350 plus has copper fouling preventative agents the others don't. I've also read Alliant Reloader 23 is used by at least 1 PRS/NRL winner (but I don't know who). You will likely find that any of those will at least be in the "group of great powders to get started with."
Oh, and buy https://modernspartansystems.com/starter-kit-plus. You're welcome in advance. Enjoy reloading and shooting your 6.5 CM!

Reactions: Dario Sarti
I'm not sure why you decided to hotlink to a product which is not even remotely relevant to the reloading section, let alone to this thread. Are you associated with the company that you linked?
Absolutely not; it assists with precision which is one of the main points of reloading - otherwise just go buy factory ammo. So it IS relevant.

Absolutely not; it assists with precision which is one of the main points of reloading - otherwise just go buy factory ammo. So it IS relevant.
So the general firearm cleaning and lubrication products that you hotlinked would add no benefit to those who use factory ammo? Your strawman argument is telling. The first posts that a new member here makes can influence how they're perceived regarding their knowledge and integrity. I would suggest a change in tactics and attitude if you wish to be considered relevant.

Reactions: waveslayer