• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What is the current best .22lr?

LDB

Private
Minuteman
Sep 17, 2014
It was suggested that a good .22lr might be the best first step into precision shooting. What is the current best rifle for accuracy and reliability with a reasonable price, hopefully less than 4 digits?

CZ 455 varmint or CZ precision trainer. Quite a bit of upgrades available. They have a very strong following.
The Anschutz rifles are considered some of the best but they will be slightly north of 4 figures

If your budget allows I would go with an Anschutz. Get one with the two stage trigger. Both the 54 and 64 actions are fantastic.

anschutz

If you're serious and want guaranteed accuracy save up your shekel's and buy ANSCHUTZ.

Not because I own/shoot 'em.

I was RO at our club's regional .22 match a week ago. 99% of the competitors shot some model of Anschutz.

The winner shot a [size=+2]3196-235X[/size] (out of a possible score of 3200/320) using an older(wood) model 1913. Yea, that's shooting 320 rounds at 50/100yds and only dropping 4 points.

Of course, it also helps to shoot the best ELEY/LAPUA/RWS made at around .20/shot :eek:

I would go with CZ and avoid Remington which was the worst 22 I ever owned.

Anschutz is the best of the best but the cost kinda defeats the point of a 22 for me.

Last edited:
If you're serious and want guaranteed accuracy save up your shekel's and buy ANSCHUTZ.

Not because I own/shoot 'em.

I was RO at our club's regional .22 match a week ago. 99% of the competitors shot some model of Anschutz.

The winner shot a [size=+2]3196-235X[/size] (out of a possible score of 3200/320) using an older(wood) model 1913. Yea, that's shooting 320 rounds at 50/100yds and only dropping 4 points.

Of course, it also helps to shoot the best ELEY/LAPUA/RWS made at around .20/shot :eek:

I agree that the Anschutz 1913 super match is a great rifle (I've won my share of matches with mine) & although it's worth the price tag for competing in Olympic 3P, it is pretty expensive & heavy for all-round hunting/plinking.

I will suggest that the savage mark ii is the deal to look at. There is nothing that touches it unless you're willing to shell out many thousands of dollars. The threaded barrel is perfect if you wish to use a can, the trigger is great, and if you place a good scope on it (I'm running a SWFA 3-15 mil-mil ffp... Parallax goes down to 6m so it's great for .22). The rifle & scope set me back less than $1k.

That's my suggestion.

Oh and if you go savage mark ii you can easily get a remington 700 adjustable cheek riser & simply drill 2 small holes in the stock with a power drill yourself. It will allow you a comfortable cheek weld when using optics & not add any weight. Else, for $100 there are plenty of aftermarket stocks but I felt the weight wasn't justifiable as I wanted to keep mine as light as possible with that bull barrel.

I say if you can find a second hand anschutz u will be doin well i picked mine up for 800 dollars and it has served me well for a decade with change

the only argument is the stock weighs a lot and to get the bolt out you need to lower the cheek piece

then once u acquire a quality rifle try all the different kinds of .22 ammo different ammo might work better and save you money if its the cheaper stuff :D

I say if you can find a second hand anschutz u will be doin well i picked mine up for 800 dollars and it has served me well for a decade with change

the only argument is the stock weighs a lot and to get the bolt out you need to lower the cheek piece

then once u acquire a quality rifle try all the different kinds of .22 ammo different ammo might work better and save you money if its the cheaper stuff :D

Agree, if you can find a quality used Anschutz that hasn't been shot out & well cared for, not booger fingered by non qualified smiths... but then when going used there are so many variables. Perfect scenarios happen though.

If money is a consideration go with the CZ's. I've got one in 22lr and another in 17 hm2. Great shooters with nice fit and finish.

Find a NIB Kimber Model 82G, plenty on Gunbroker.

That's where I got mine, added a Murphy Precision rail, a Premier 3-15, and shooting Wolf target ammo. It's so accurate that it's almost boring to shoot.

I think I paid $550 for mine.

You are getting plenty of good advice and you can see which way it's going. The Anshutz 64 MPR is available used in the $800. range. Take a look at this thread http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...re-6-groups-5-30-rounds-challenge-thread.html. The required six targets of five shots each cuts through the BS. Unfortunately, you will not get consistent high levels of performance from any bulk ammo. No $2.00 ammo is going to work and you will be paying four to five times that or more. With the good stuff you can get some excellent training in.

I'm back tracking a little

OP: if you're serious about precision .22lr; I would also recommend an Anschutz but not the 64... If you're truly serious about shooting competitively (something like Camp Perry) you will need a 1913, Walther or other Olympic class .22lr. You'll show up with a anschutz 64 or some other plinker and realize everyone has the top end everything and you'll be a outpaced quickly when they are all shooting 1170-1190 scores on 50m. My dad bought me my 1913 decades ago back when I was in high school which replaced my RWS competition rifle (still amazing .22lr) and the difference was huge. Took it to the NCAA and today that rifle still holds the same groups it did when it was new.

If you're serious about competing it's worth it, else it's a complete waste of money. But if you are competing then anything less than a 1913/2013 etc class firearm would be a waste of time and money. Apologies if my previous posts were confusing.

Having worked for Anschutz, and formally trained on: Hammerlli, Feinwerkbau, See Hubber, Bleikker, Walthar, and Grunig & Elmiger I can tell you an Anschutz 54 action is the way to go. (Although G/E is some bad azz stuff!)

If you just want to watch a Visa melt for the fun of it, you can bump up to the 2000 series action. Same principles as the 54, just more of it. (it's a brick instead of a pipe)

Your money will be well spent either way but you won't see a performance gain from the 2000 series. Just makes barrel swapping as complicated as an allen wrench.

Both receiver style comes with the Anschutz 5018 series trigger. This is the one you want. You can go with the 5022 as well, it's the same only heavier.

The only Remington replacement that even approaches an Anschutz 50 series trigger is a Carl Kenyon. -but they are single stage only (although a few were made as false 2 stage units) The only Kenyon trigger I have is an artifact. I paid close to $1000 for it almost ten years ago. (just cause I wanted one THAT bad) -Not for sale.

It's never been put on a gun (and it won't ever, it's in a shadow box on display)

Carl's triggers were hand made from grain truck leaf springs. Pretty neat little pieces. Back in the day (cold war era) his revisions on the Anschutz were highly sought after and several Olympic Gold Medals went to his credit. Col Lonne's Wigger shot Carl Kenyon built rifles. (Lonnes is a 2x gold medalist)

Carl was one of the great ones!

Good luck.

C.

Last edited:
If money were no object, and Anschutz 1727 (been lusting after one for a while now). :p One of these days, after the youngest finishes her schooling and I quit having to write tuition checks...

South of three zeros? Kind of hard to go wrong with a CZ (452 or 453, not the 455); at least it can be easily rebarreled. IIRC the Annie 64's (and 54's?) are pressed and pinned barrels. This doesn't make them impossible to rebarrel, just more problematic (not that you'll ever shoot out a rimfire barrel, but if you decide you want a different profile...)

Having worked for Anschutz, and formally trained on: Hammerlli, Feinwerkbau, See Hubber, Bleikker, Walthar, and Grunig & Elmiger I can tell you an Anschutz 54 action is the way to go. (Although G/E is some bad azz stuff!)

If you just want to watch a Visa melt for the fun of it, you can bump up to the 2000 series action. Same principles as the 54, just more of it. (it's a brick instead of a pipe)

Your money will be well spent either way but you won't see a performance gain from the 2000 series. Just makes barrel swapping as complicated as an allen wrench.

Both receiver style comes with the Anschutz 5018 series trigger. This is the one you want. You can go with the 5022 as well, it's the same only heavier.

The only Remington replacement that even approaches an Anschutz 50 series trigger is a Carl Kenyon. -but they are single stage only (although a few were made as false 2 stage units) The only Kenyon trigger I have is an artifact. I paid close to $1000 for it almost ten years ago. (just cause I wanted one THAT bad) -Not for sale.

It's never been put on a gun (and it won't ever, it's in a shadow box on display)

Carl's triggers were hand made from grain truck leaf springs. Pretty neat little pieces. Back in the day (cold war era) his revisions on the Anschutz were highly sought after and several Olympic Gold Medals went to his credit. Col Lonne's Wigger shot Carl Kenyon built rifles. (Lonnes is a 2x gold medalist)

Carl was one of the great ones!

Good luck.

C.

Ok agree.

Last edited:
118qhpu.jpg
[/IMG]
Here's my last 20 shots at 50 yds, with my factory barrel, and factory trigger cz vpt 455. If your accuracy expectations are better than this, don't buy a factory rifle!

You state what you were told and ask an entirely un related question.
No foul.
A 22 is a great tool for learning. Any rifle you have can help you evolve to learning how to use it. There in the learning. I have had a couple CZ's that would print tight over and over. Shot my tightest 50 yd. groups with the 452's. Shot my tightest 100yd groups with a Savage trrsr.
Pick a rifle that fits your shooting style and work with it. CZ are of quality, Anshutz should be a good choice. Savage [current rifles] are soft, may not last as long, may provide what you need with a light investment.

I don't anticipate ever competing. I just want to have some fun challenging myself with a good quality rifle. I've looked at Anschutz off and on for many many years. They are truly excellent and I wouldn't turn one down but they are definitely more gun and more expensive than my shooting skills. I think a CZ would be the right starting level for me. If I ever do develop to shooting better than my rifle I can look at Anschutz then.

Thank you everyone for the great replies so far. I appreciate them all and look forward to any and all additional advice and wisdom you guys have to impart.

I say CZ452 or 455. The best 22 available? No, far from it, but the best value going. The $100-150 extra cost over a Savage is well worth it. My Savage Mark2 shoots fine but its a crude piece of junk. The magazines are squirrelly, the bolt is rough and shitty and will gouge/gall the cocking piece unless you pay it close attention, and they're notorious for poor ejection.

Anshutz and other top end stuff is awesome but it doesn't sound like this guy needs an Olympic competitive 22. He needs a high value 22 that runs/shoots well. The CZs own this niche.

The top end Anschutz rifles with the right ammo are very, very good but for the same money you can build a custom on a Hall action, and have an incredibly accurate rifle that's truly unique, plus it's made in the USA

The CZs are a big step up from generic $100 beater 22s without going overkill and plinking at a camp ground with an Anschutz. Perfect middle ground IMO.

Another vote for the cz, Go 455 and you can pick up a lilja match barrel later if you desire. I own a few .22 CZ's and am happy with all of them. Tons of info on these over in the rimfire forum.

Who is going to shoot a CZ at the Olympics or even at the Dewer match at Perry?

I shoot 3 position with a walther kk300, fabulous rifle with a fabulous trigger. That said, it's $3-4k. For under a grand like many have said a used Anschutz will be fantastic to learn on. Model 54 actions are great and have the options for a new trigger and stock with every adjustment you might need.
I know you said you don't have aspirations for competition or feel you need an exceptionally high quality rifle, but learning is much easier on a high quality platform. Doesn't mean you can't do it on a cheaper rifle, but you eliminate more variables with higher quality.

Last edited:
I won't be competing in the Olympics or Camp Perry. I will only be competing for the LDB cup (of Dr. Pepper) after I compete with myself and my last outing at the range.

I agree that the better the equipment the more likely it will be easy to learn and give room for improvement. The question comes in percentages. How much does that go down compared to how much expense goes down. A CZ 452 from my local FFL is right at $400 total. That leaves an awful lot for ammunition compared to an Anschutz.

I did forget to add that I did have some trigger work done on both of my CZ's. That would be my only complaint. With match ammo off sandbags I'm can hold them under a half inch at 50 when it's not windy.