• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What is the longest known .22LR shots?

Re: What is the longest known .22LR shots?

my best friend and i have been going back and forth with long-er range .22lr shots for a while. we both have savage mk2's...both in tacticool stocks (his is a tr, mines an FV with a 17.5" barrel in a tacticool stock) and we can do 5-6" groups at 200yds fairly regularly, with bulk ammo. We set up paint cans and can knock a row of 5 down with one shot/can. We also put up a 12" metal saw blade and can hit that with every shot, i think we put about 150rds each into it.

savage048.jpg

savage046.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: godofwar</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Acehigh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">someone posted a story about shooting frozen turkeys...cut..</div></div>

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=504301&fpart=1
smile.gif
</div></div>
That's the one!
JH

A buddy's kid brought his little Marlin 22 with us once hunting coyotes. On the way back from a stalk we passed through a prairie dog town. He had a Simmons 3-9x plex reticle on top, and a bipod. I looked through the scope and it appeared to subtend about 6 MOA to lower post at 9x. Told the kid that if he adjusted down to 3x it would be about 18 MOA to lower plex post tip and that oughtta' net him ~300 yds. So he sets up on a mound and i laser a couple PD's at 290-something. Kid shoots and missed just low. Readjust from his own spotting and he nails the dog. Sucker rolled off the back of the mound and then comes running back up on top again and hesitates...like they often do, and the kid nails him again. His buddy comes out of the mound barking at him and this kid nails this dog too in the next couple shots. When we walked up to that mound i still coudn't believe he killed 2 PD's at almost 300 yds. with that little rig of his. But i have the pic. around here somewhere if i can find it.

sitting at a range with a Miroku ML22 (think Browning BL22, but cheaper). shitty ass tasco 1-3.5x sight and Winny Powerpoints.

Long story short, had been shooting to 50 and 100m all day. hung up this butane camping can at 300m and bang, first shot send the thing flying though the air.

Not on video, but my best mate witnessed it and thats all that counts for bragging rights. As he proceeded to miss the same butane can 7 times with a 30-30 and 25m.
And now he's a paratrooper.

1 inch 3 shot groups at 300 yards
all shot at 6x power
ruger 10/22 22lr

fajen Silhouette thumbhole stock

valquartsen SS 20 inch with v-comp

valquartsen bolt with face work (trueing)

leapers 6-24x mil-dot scope

custom 1.4 LB. trigger pull

now for pics
laugh.gif

2vl5e76.jpg

4 shot group at 125 yd. other groups where from a friends gun
2vmdc91.jpg

under 1 inch 3 shot at 300 yd
2h6sv37.jpg

1 inch on paper at 300 yd today
2iqlixk.jpg

using wolf match extra and aguila match rifle

Best 300 yard group to date 242 6X

25 round group
prone, Harris bipod, no rear rest
Anschutz 64 MPR
Leupold Mark 4 on DIP 20 MOA rail
50 yd zero & 34 MOA up
2.25 MOA left with light 3-5 mph wind from the 7 & 9

SH300YDMR6310-11-112436xs.jpg

Best 200 yard group to date 250 17X
shot on 300 yard target and had to mike out for 200 yard comp.

25 round group
prone, Harris bipod, no rear rest
Anschutz 64 MPR
Leupold Mark 4 on DIP 20 MOA rail
50 yad zero & 20.75 MOA up
1.0 MOA left with mod 5-7 mph wind from the 7 & 6

Anschutz64MPR200yd9-08-11.jpg

My farthest kill was on a Prairie Dog at 330Y.

I see others have been stretching out to 500Y so I'm going to try 600Y sometime this winter for the fun of it.

Without digging out the range book, from what I recall - 314 yds, 8 deg up, windy day, 8" steel, around 70% hit rate. IIRC it was around 10 mils diff from my 50 yd zero.

I killed a prairie dog at 1000 yards one time with my Marlin XT-22. I think he had a heart attack and died of natural causes!

This is the best post ever i just told a guy at work about shooting a 22 at five hundred yards and he called me a liar and now makes fun of it every chance he gets but he will be reading this monday

My longest was several sessions pecking away at the 10" gong at somewhere around 240-250yd.

I was using an accurized 10/22 with scope and rest; ran out of elevation and needed about another 8" of holdover, but I guess about 85% of the rounds were pinging the gong. I was just using up some old .22LR ammo that was left over from my teenage Boy Scout days, some 40-odd years earlier.

After my initial surprise; I found out that the .22LR was a lot more accurate some decent ways out there than I had originally suspected.

Greg

Been doing a lot of LR shooting these days with my Ruger Charger/Kidd barrel/PFI 3-9x PFI Rapid Reticle--doesn't get much more fun. Mom and wife love to shoot it. Buddy Mitch hit a 2" round shale rock 235 yds. away on the 1st shot using the ballistics profile calcs of ~ 5 MOA beyond the reticles lower stadia line (26 MOA). I got the 250-yd. coke can thread on the 2nd shot and in the videos (6) i will reference below i hit the 235-yd. coke can on the 1st and 6th shot (i think) in variable winds.

I was out PD shooting one day with the system and hit a 180-yd dog 3 x in a row in a 10 mph x-wind by watching the mirage and timing my shots. 22 LR with these handgun rigs is more fun than centerfire by a long shot...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqCzqP5cweg

Picuda 300-yd. shot, 3rd or 4th can't remember now--

IMG_1308.jpg

a couple dogs at ~225-250--

IMG_1272.jpg

250-yd. Snipers Hide thread coke can (2nd shot)--

IMG_1249.jpg

Some of these dogs were taken out to ~250--

IMG_1255.jpg

The greatest thing to come down the long-range 22 LR road since cheap bulk ammo--the 3-9x PFI 22 LR Rapid Reticle in combination with the underappreciated low profile resettable target turret--
IMG_0726-1.jpg

I've gone 240Y on P-dogs with about 35% hit ratio...most of those hit crawled several feet before expiring.

I regularly hit about 90% on a 7x7" steel plate @ 200 yards...not too impressive compared to some.

This all with Fed bulk through Savage M2-FV.

I've got a 2x4x6" chunk of wood that my step-dad and I started plinking at 200 yards with a few years ago and I take it back out to the 200 yard range a lot. We average about 8/10 hits on it.

But the longest for me is 400 yards - 55 gallon drum - and a tow-gunning scout witness LOL We bo th did it, and I'd say we probably hit 3 out of 10 shots on it after we ranged it.

Just performing a little thread necromancy here…

Did a class over the weekend and was able to make 3 on target shots at 505 yards with the assistance of a spotter. Had to dial up 94 MOA (88 dial / 6 hold) over my 50-yard zero. It was pretty damn awesome!

Reactions: jLorenzo
What is the longest known .22LR shots and what type of grouping was there?
Heres a link to some 612 yard groups I've shot this gun now sports a Bartlien transitional barrel. I have yet to shoot it past 400 but you can look at the 6x5 thread.

Last edited:
This gun shoots under 2.0 at 200 yds under 5.0" at 300 yds and under 7.0" at 400yds with rim sized. Scaled ,visual rounds.

Did this about 3 years ago at Rayners. Had gotten two hits in a row and told Son we needed to film it. Then got three more (5 for 5) then two misses and another hit which made 6 for 8. Let Son try and his first two were hits which made 8 for 10 then the wind changed and that was the end of the hits. People been getting farther hits lately but consistent hits at those distances are few and far in-between.

Topstrap

Did this about 3 years ago at Rayners. Had gotten two hits in a row and told Son we needed to film it. Then got three more (5 for 5) then two misses and another hit which made 6 for 8. Let Son try and his first two were hits which made 8 for 10 then the wind changed and that was the end of the hits. People been getting farther hits lately but consistent hits at those distances are few and far in-between.

Topstrap

I miss Rayners. Nice place to shoot and super nice family running it.

Reactions: Topstrap
A friend and I have shot 22 ELR out to 400y which is the limit of our local range. At 200y & 300y is is fairly easy to hit a modest 8" plate with most if not all rounds once you have your dope sorted out. Going to 400y is a big step. We were able to hit a IPSC tgt with regularity once we had the windage and elevation figured. The temp changes affect the elevation by a tenth of a MIL or two. Wind is a huge factor. Spin drift another. I have seen wind pushing us 2.6 MIL at 400y which is about what 37"? and that is not a strong wind.

My club has a longer range out to 600y but do not allow it to be used for any purpose except organized matches. I have not had the chance to use it to reach out further. I was using a custom Sako Quad with a Arken SH4 6-24x optic. Lapua CX ammo.

Attachments

• Sako at 400y - 1.jpg
    Sako at 400y - 1.jpg
    899.7 KB · Views: 38
I don't know but it must be near a mile. At least that's what the boxes used to say when I was growing up.

Reactions: 629-4