• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What is your defensive go to rifle? Now use a Sig.

alfred10

Private
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2010
What is your go to defensive rifle? If you could take one in a Katrina situation, what would it be?

I went from an AK to an M4 but now use the Sig. It seems to be the best of both worlds.

An AR is great for clean patrols in resupplied areas but my rifle must fire every time.
http://www.madogre.com/interviews/Hate_the_AR15.htm

Re: What is your defensive go to rifle? Now use a Sig.

Was an HK91 but the LMT MWS is proving itself and may replace it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">An AR is great for clean patrols in resupplied areas but my rifle must fire every time.</div></div>

really!?! ive had sand and trash all up in mine and it functioned fine, everytime, all day long, if i did my part!

I'd say LWRC556 is really wrapped up in preparing for a societal collapse. That's his prerogative, just like it is mine to be trying to save up a good retirement in case it stays normal. These days, with all the crap that's going down in the financial markets and across the full spectrum of the ecomomy, I sometimes wonder if all the doomers might not be onto something. Either way, the best way to not see a thread that bothers you is not to click on it in the first place.

I have a variety of rifles that would be put to use in a SHTF-type scenario, if it were warranted. FN FAL, M4, etc. We'll see how the LMT MWS works out, but given all the reading I have done so far, I have high hopes for it being one that covers nearly all the bases for me, including a SHTF go-to rifle. It's not the lightest weapon I own, but I love the extra capacity of the 7.62 round to deal with long range and its ability to turn cover into concealment.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWRC556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">An AR is great for clean patrols in resupplied areas but my rifle must fire every time.</div></div>

You must not have a whole lot of personal experience with military grade M16/M4 type platforms.

I have carried M16's around the world in Woodland, Jungle, Desert and Arctic environments. I currently run a suppressed M4 type carbine as my duty rifle.

Unless you are a tool they work just fine. If you don't feel comfortable supporting the platform, that's fine. However making blanket statements will not benefit you in any way.

I have quite a bit of experience with a number of platforms. I have never felt ill-armed with a M4.

However I too find these type of threads a little tedious.

Larue 16" OBR with USO glass. Be the hunter.

Even though I'm very happy with my Sigs, let me point out that the overwhelming majority of people that endured Katrina would have been much better served with extra drinking water, food, and possibly a boat. NOT a Sig.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gstaylorg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Even though I'm very happy with my Sigs, let me point out that the overwhelming majority of people that endured Katrina would have been much better served with extra drinking water, food, and possibly a boat. NOT a Sig. </div></div> The sig might would be a great tool for defending your water food or boat. Or even obtaining one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mosin Nagant /endthread
</div></div>

+1 please end thread, LMAO

My SHTF rifle is an old Colt M-4 that has a donkey load of rounds through it. Still runs like a top, and YES I have a full replacement parts kit thanks to Specialized Armament. The second longgun is the tried and trued Remington 870. The wife will be carring that one. The handgun selection would come down to the Sig 226 for me, and the M&P 9mm for my wife.
That is how I see it. JPG

Funny how this question pops up on every single gun forum I've ever seen.

For me a DS Arms SA58 Carbine and a sidearm being a SIG P220.

Not a SIG 556 for sure, I would rather have a good AR or SCAR or HK91.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: E3C3H3O3</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mosin Nagant /endthread
</div></div>

+1 please end thread, LMAO </div></div>

I like the "whatever is sitting to the left of you is your weapon in a SHTF TEOTWAWKI situation".

I get to slay zombies with a pair of bunny slippers!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWRC556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is your go to defensive rifle? If you could take one in a Katrina situation, what would it be?

I went from an AK to an M4 but now use the Sig. It seems to be the best of both worlds.

An AR is great for clean patrols in resupplied areas but my rifle must fire every time.
http://www.madogre.com/interviews/Hate_the_AR15.htm </div></div>

When did they let you out of ARFcom??

I particularly like the reference to Katrina-type events, then the transition to "clean patrols" vs I presume "dirty patrols". Maybe that's not the proper term, I haven't been well versed in the dialect of internet commando.

The best gun in a shtf situation is the closet loaded one. That will get you to the next one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

When did they let you out of ARFcom??

I particularly like the reference to Katrina-type events, then the transition to "clean patrols" vs I presume "dirty patrols". Maybe that's not the proper term, I haven't been well versed in the dialect of internet commando.

The best gun in a shtf situation is the closet loaded one. That will get you to the next one. </div></div>

"Clean Patrols" are when I practice dry-firing in my living room, "Dirty Patrols" are trips to an actual firing range and "Katrina" is when I shower with my Glock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

"Clean Patrols" are when I practice dry-firing in my living room, "Dirty Patrols" are trips to an actual firing range and "Katrina" is when I shower with my Glock. </div></div>

Golden.

hands down no questions asked, dolph lundgren commemerorative sks sniper rifle with counter sniper mildot scope sittin in a cheaper than dirt plastic furniture painted flektard. id swim that stik thru katrina grinnin.

I actually hung around and rode through Hurricanes Katrina and Ike. What I found to be most important was a good LED tactical light and illuminated sight on whichever gun I choose.

When the power is out, it is very pitch black at night.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWRC556</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> If you could take one in a Katrina situation, what would it be?</div></div>

I took several into that actual situation. They served me well. I'll tell you which ones did best, but it'll cost you.

I would prefer a stinger missle or a 20mm anti aircraft gun to take out the unmaned drone loaded with hellfire missles they are going to launch after you the avenging angel of the resistance takes a pot shot at a foot patrol by who ever is in charge.

"What is your defensive go to rifle?"

a ruger 10/22...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

"Clean Patrols" are when I practice dry-firing in my living room, "Dirty Patrols" are trips to an actual firing range and "Katrina" is when I shower with my Glock. </div></div>

Ok, I've been chuckling through this whole thread, but this one moved me from chuckle to laugh!

3k+ rounds since the last cleaning. Still running strong, no failures yet. The lower also sees a 9mm upper with a suppressor.
Current plan is to run it until it fails.

dirtySBR.jpg

That includes shooting it in competition. Yes, it gets muddy and dirty.

dirty.jpg

Another myth busted....LOL

dirty patrol is when i shart my pants and go a walkin, and Katrina, tho showering with a glock is nice, for me is when i blow a hot man load into the gaping maw of a hooker named katrina, while cleaning my defensive go to gun, a high point 45 double barrel with green laser beam

If I am faced with a "Katrina", i'm scrambling for my tactical car keys. I will then watch guys cling to their chimneys with their go guns on the news from the comfort of somewhere else.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Highground</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If I am faced with a "Katrina", i'm scrambling for my tactical car keys. I will then watch guys cling to their chimneys with their go guns on the news from the comfort of somewhere else. </div></div>

Winnar! If I'm told tomorrow that I need to get away from the Rockie Mountains because they're going to fall over on the front range I'm not going to say 'Pfff... eff that noise I'm going to stick it out... this is my HOME!' Forget that noise. I'm gone and will watch them smash the crap out of my beloved home from somewhere in Virginia or Europe or something. Now, if there's a 'Katrina' situation that is a surprise then that's different but let's not forget everyone was warned this would happen. I'm not sticking around for the chance to utilize my firearms. I'm taking me and my loved ones to safety because that's the responsible thing to do.

A M82A1.... but the CQB version. For when the zombies fly down on their democratic-fueled jet packs with acorn stickers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Highground</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If I am faced with a "Katrina", i'm scrambling for my tactical car keys. I will then watch guys cling to their chimneys with their go guns on the news from the comfort of somewhere else. </div></div>

Winnar! If I'm told tomorrow that I need to get away from the Rockie Mountains because they're going to fall over on the front range I'm not going to say 'Pfff... eff that noise I'm going to stick it out... this is my HOME!' Forget that noise. I'm gone and will watch them smash the crap out of my beloved home from somewhere in Virginia or Europe or something. Now, if there's a 'Katrina' situation that is a surprise then that's different but let's not forget everyone was warned this would happen. I'm not sticking around for the chance to utilize my firearms. I'm taking me and my loved ones to safety because that's the responsible thing to do. </div></div>

See this thread got me thinking. Surfers may be funny to some, but they are real men. When hurricanes come, they race to the water to see if they can survive hurricane waves. They face the danger with excitement.

Why have we not yet heard of a group of internet warriors being storm chasers hoping to get caught up in a mess and testing their survival. I mean, anything short of a Katrina situation is really just conjecture when it comes to facing a Katrina situation after a concrete jungle sofa eats your tactical car keys, and the quarter to call momma, as a cruel practical joke. As with surfers, some will have to perish for their foolishness, I mean bravery, but this is an important task. Future survival may be at stake!

as duplicated in the "if you had to lug around one rifle" thread:

easy, not a rifle, but it's a shotgun.

from chipmunks to bear, self protection to hunting, lethal to non lethal - just by cycling the action once and putting in a different shell.

light weight too, hell you can even carry around a spare shorter / longer barrel if you wish.

870 remington.

Or a solid 22lr platform. Thousands of rounds carried easily, available everywhere.
Anyone that disputes the efficacy of the caliber is free to charge me from 20 yards and see if you get to me!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Or a solid 22lr platform. Thousands of rounds carried easily, available everywhere.
Anyone that disputes the efficacy of the caliber is free to charge me from 20 yards and see if you get to me! </div></div>
LOL, no thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alderleet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"What is your defensive go to rifle?"

a ruger 10/22... </div></div>

I've killed untold cases of beer cans and soda bottles in flooded rivers with mine and have never felt my life was threatened, LOL. Seriously though, 1500 rounds and my rifle weight is about the same as my AR alone. Accuracy is good and the action is reliable. A well placed shot from a reasonable distance will dispatch most anything that walks this continent. Ammo is in every corner of every country store and department store and most homes. It also doesn't make much noise. When I have a carry pistol with me, it's usually a very accurate .22 Ruger MKII. The hitmen of the past liked them for a reason.

Two samurai swords!!!! It's intimidating and there is no recoil/reload. Better yet, ninja stars! multiple use.
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USACS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have an Aimpoint T-1 and ARMS #40L-SP rear sight on this now.

img_3472.jpg
</div></div>

What is the front sight attached to on that?

The PIG goes back to where the FSB would normally exist.

BTW, that, with a 10.5" is almost exactly what I am looking at for my entry rifle.

Have any chronograph numbers for the 7" barrel?

It would be one of my .308's for sure. Likely the SASS until I pick up a SCAR. In a real situation I want knockdown power at range, barrier penetration capability, the ability to disable equipment, and I want my targets to stay shot. Ability to take down large game is a plus too.

I would have to say my M1A Scout EBR. Sure its a little heavy but for the same reasons BattleAxe said,in a real situation I want knockdown power at range with barrier penetration capability and the ability to disable equipment. Taking down large game is always good.

Mount a USO Sn-4S to it and Im golden.

Of course, Id grab my Gobag and Gtfo if I could...

I'll Grab my M1A with my 6-Pak bandolier full of well, you guessed it, 6- 20 round mags packed up tight..

And when I'm found dead, Rifle by my side someone will remark as the somber music plays....Here lay's a Rifleman...No sir , he were'nt Tacticool , jus regular ...Cool..
George of the Jungle.

right now is a dealer sample AK74SU "krinkov" sometimes another sample like my 1928 thompson. Nothing like multiple hits reaaaal fast.
cheers.

Stag model 3 w/EOTech!