• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft What kind of boots do you wear in the field? Danne

Re: What kind of boots do you wear in the field? Danne

Merrell Moab Mid GORE-TEX® XCR® or Shoe version are good lightweight boot/shoes and they dry out fairly easily. I wore the Moab Ventilators 70% in Afghanistan and they were 100 times comfy than your standard issue boot. Not to mention there are discounts if you go directly through Merrill if you are Military.

For "lightweight" boots I wear La Sportiva Cascade boots . Used to wear Lowa's but the newer models don't fit my feet anymore. The La Sportivas come in half sizes and offer excellent ankle protection, can carry a reasonable load with these and are still comfortable for just walking around.

My day to day uniform/field boot is the Danner Ft. Lewis boots like most of you.

well everyone knows ninjers ware tabi boots,duh...that said, walmart running shoes with the treads cut off or a good pair of rawhide moccasins are perty good too.

i still rock a pair of green on black jungles circa 1996 back in the BDU days, they have been resoled 15 times or so but still gettin er dun

Danner Striker 8" GTX work pretty good for me.

I wore POS Wellcos in Basic and Altama jungle ripple soles ever since first in black/green now in tan. Although I have been eyeing some Oakleys and after reading this thread I might have to check out some Merrells

Rocky broadhead, goretex lined, as light as high top tennis shoes, quiet as a moccasin. 125 bucks! The only fault I can find with them is on very steep sandy terrain. Tested them in the mountains in New Mexico elk archery season. Rthur

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: A10XRIFLE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ASOLO 250 NBK

most comfortable light hiker Ive ever worn. </div></div>

+1

Best boots I've ever owned.

My all time favorite, three season boot are the Danner Desert Tfx's. The boots I wear for winter/hunting season are my Irish Setter Elk Trackers. I will always have one pair of each near by...

Lowa's

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JPipes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lowa's</div></div> liar,you wear "chanclas" Josh

I got a pair of gore-tex Danners. Might be TFXs. Besides being 75% off, in coyote brown.
wink.gif

I like the coyote version the best. With that they are made out of roughed up leather and easier to clean then the tan suede version which gets dirty sitting in the box(stupid shit). Hard as hell to clean and pointless for a boot to match the uniform does that.

Too much work for a field boot. Altamas are good too.

I love my Lowa renegades, I will never own another pair of boots. They are light enough to be sneakers, offer awesome traction, and decent enough ankle support to handle carrying a decent amount of weight on your back through rocky terrain. They are so comfortable that I barely even want to take them off when I get back form a mission. Can't say enough good things about those boots. They run about a half size small.

Lowa makes grea boots. I have used them for mountain hiking since 1987. the fit right out of the box, true to size, great support and require virtually for me no break in period.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Northland</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Merrell Sawtooth and Blackhawks </div></div>

+1 on the blackhawks. I have some ( i will have to look up the model number, they are at the house and I am at work). Super lightweight, but very durable and they breath like no other. Killer summertime high speed boot!

Dave

love my otb desert lites. thinking about grabbing a pair of their jungle lites as well.

currently on the search for a good winter boot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArmaHeavy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I got a pair of gore-tex Danners. Might be TFXs. Besides being 75% off, in coyote brown.
wink.gif

I like the coyote version the best. With that they are made out of roughed up leather and easier to clean then the tan suede version which gets dirty sitting in the box(stupid shit). Hard as hell to clean and pointless for a boot to match the uniform does that.

Too much work for a field boot. Altamas are good too.</div></div>

Those are the ones they call "mojave olive" (coyote brown)... not to be confused with ARPAT olive (sage green). They are what I'm wearing now after I sent back a pair of those light tan goretex TFX because the suede split on the side of them. For being a goretex boot and supposedly treated leather, my tan ones were NOT waterproof.

It snowed here & i've been wearing the mojave ones around in it. Nice & warm feet, bone dry.

I'm not sure i'd choose the gore-tex version for Iraq, they are pretty hot for a desert boot. However, they'd be great from somewhere colder like a-stan. I live at almost 7k feet of elevation and spend a lot of time above 8k in the mountains. It's cold as crud here right now and i'm plenty fine in these.

when it gets even lower i'll get out the 1000g Irish setter Elk Hunter boots in my closet. I wear those for winter camping & ice fishing because it's the only way I can still feel my feet. lol.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Diablo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lucky Man</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Ihave a pair of selous boots from Africa that I have beaten to death for 10 yrs and they are still going strong, super strong,quiet, comfortable , and durable. Check them out at Westley Richards.com</div></div>

(Does "Selous Scouts" sound familiar?)

I wear Danner (Ft Lewis) and Oakley (Desert) but the next pair may be OTBs. Years ago it was Vasque, Pivetta, and Corcoran. </div></div>

gotta ask how you like the oakleys?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Good, properly fitted boots will not "tear up your feet".

Sneakers will fall apart anywhere other than urban pavement.

Goretex Danners are hot and suck on road marches.

If I had to "bug out" I am going to go home and correctly gear up, otherwise the duration of my initial trip will be over urban terrain. </div></div>

I have never hiked in boots until this past summer. I've always used new balance cross trainers or solomon shoes. Solomons have waterproof models which are really nice. Shoes will always be lighter and more comfortable than boots, which is why I never hiked in them. All my hiking up till this year has been recreational which is why I never used boots. I will concur that gortex Danners are really hot,which should serve me well when I do some hiking/hunting this year, despite their comfort. I purchased a set of Altama 3lc jungle boots to hold me over while my Danners get re-soled. I expect they'll be close in comfort and much cooler due to the breather holes. My only worries is durability

Comfort depends on the boot
I've been able to take the Asolo boots out of the box... lace them up... put 60lbs on my back... and walk 25 miles.. without blisters or hot spots
Walking 5-6 mile with a 10 lb day pack = trail runners
Carrying a load off trail = boots

whatever pisses off the AF the most. So right now its a nice pair of oakleys (who told the AF to F off about making sage green boots) that are tan. pretty comfortable though I'm still testing them out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DocHoliday13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I have never hiked in boots until this past summer. I've always used new balance cross trainers or solomon shoes. Solomons have waterproof models which are really nice. Shoes will always be lighter and more comfortable than boots, which is why I never hiked in them. All my hiking up till this year has been recreational which is why I never used boots.</div></div>

Even within "recreational hiking" there are vast differences. I have seen folks who think walking on a trail for a couple hours is "hiking". Obviously shoes work fine for that. Even walking long distances on pavement or hard packed trails will suit shoes.

When I am just out on the trails in a campsite I wear a set of mid-top Merrels. They are about the equivalent of cross-trainers.

Rugged terrain and heavy packs are not suited to shoes.

For several years, I've been wearing Gore-Tex trail running shoes, which have stiffer soles than conventional running shoes, to handle rocks and other trail obstructions.

I agree that they are not suited to heavy packs, so I ditched all my heavy gear, and now carry only lightweight camping gear. I can head out for a week with less than 20 pounds, not including water - I rarely hike in places where I have to carry water. The light weight is much easier on my old body.
laugh.gif

Zamberlan Panthers. All black, mid height, leather exterior and calf skin interior. All hand made in Italy. No Chinese crap.

Danner Acadias, ASOLO, Merrill, Vasque, Solomon, Danner GTX, etc...all of those are good. Currently, I'm wearing some Danner Agitator GTX's amd they are great!! I've worn all of the above and like all of them. As you are seeing, this type of question is going to get all sorts of answers...its a matter of personal preference to be honest. Theres lots of good stuff out on the market these days. Just stick to well known brands and you'll be fine.

Chad

Here's what I know:

Danner Combat Hikers are quite good, but I find them a bit bulky for everyday wear. The Asolo equivalents work well for wide feet, while anything Merrell is good for lighter duty.

Raichle used to make a set of all-leather heavy duty hiking boots that worked quite well with crampons. I have a pair, circa 1985, and would love to find a newer pair.

La Sportiva Trango Extremes are a very nice technical climbing/ice boot.

La Sportiva Baruntse and Scarpa Mont Blanc GTX are very nice mountaineering boots.

I just finally killed my pair of Danner TFX's. Wore them a ton for the last year and a half.

Just right for camping, hiking, hunting in most of TX and OK.

Id usually just buy another set of Danners right away but since most of there stuff is coming from overseas now anyhow theres no reason to be as brand loyal...at least to me.

jumpers, hard sides, leather sole. Or red wing models 2233 or 2214 there are insulated versions of both.

I have a set of these Tactical Research TR505s, and they are very comfortable. They are made by Belleville. I really like their TR-1 insoles in them, I have minor plantar fasciitis, and they help correct over-pronation of the arch. They also have the TR560 Mountain Boots. If you have any questions, the guy running this shop (magnumbootshop.com) will go out of his way to help you, even if that means sending you to another place to find the boots you need.

i recently had a pair of red wings that fell apart in three months. i used to have a pair about 15 years ago and it took two years to destroy them. wish they still made them like that.

I have some advice on this topic. Get a fine boot. Break them in before using them on a serious outing. Then, on that serious outing, think about someting OTHER than your foot pain and your stupid boots; it is too late. Therefore, don't pay so much attention to them in the first place unless your hiking or climbing in life-threatening climates.

Here is why I know this. When I was 19, a roughneck offshore, I suffered a traumatic amputation of the metatarsal phalangeals - nearly 1/3 - of the right foot. Consequently, my experience as an outdoorsman has taught me to cope with discomfort. Hunting and hiking in all sorts of terrain causes pain sometimes. I've learned to think about something else when I can't do anything about the pain in my right foot. So that's my friendly advice. I'm 48 now have never stopped being very physically active.

Get the best pair of boots you can afford, then think about something else.

Lucchese Crocodile's can't go wrong!!

US MARINE COMBAT BOOTS FUCKING ROCK. I climbed a muddy hill that was steep and didn't have to grab anything. water proof and buoyant. Goretex lined. i used to wear very expensive Tims that can't hold a candle to these.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AZ99</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Its because like most internet forums tactical is the key word. If quality hiking boots, put the word "tactical, sniper, or extreme" on the title, they would sell more here.
I like the pic man, getting excited about some Snow climbing coming up here in a few months! </div></div>

Ain't that the truth.

I had a set of "Tactical" snowshoes in Alaska, actually one of the best damn set's I've ever used. NOw I think they sell extremely high despite being old fashioned.

Back on topic, everyone in teh INfantry bought Danners for anything up to 20-30 below, after that micky mouse boots.

Danners did the trick. I own a set and they are about 10 years old, although I only use them 2 or 3 times a year they are awesome!

Boots are all about where you live and what you do. Terrain that is local to me here in Southern Oregon is steep forested land, add to that - I generally have 30 - 40# of goodies with me.
IMG_1009.jpg

A pair of White's Smoke Jumpers (although Wescos are mighty nice too) are ideal in terms of durability and support. The downside is cost, weight, and break in period. Best boots I have ever had.

A more practical pair of boots for those not working in the woods on a daily basis are a sturdy pair of hiking or even a trekking boots. I have tried the Lowa Ranger but they did not fit my feet.

IMG_1010.jpg

The best I have found are Hanwag Alaska GTX Boots (on the right). They are a little taller and a little more sturdy than the Asolo Powermatic 200 GV (on left). They are also more comfortable (to me). The Asolo boots are easy to find at a variety of retailers, the only place I could find Hanwags was at Lathrop & Sons and I think I waited the better part of 6 months for them to come in from Germany.

The Danner Acadias - what can you say? They are Danners (I am not a fan). The Merrells have treated me right even though the last isn't the best for my foot. These are an earlier version of the Merrell Perimeter Goretex. They are very good for a mid weight / mid duty hiker.

Buy the boots that fit your feet and are designed to do what you want to do in the terrain you will be moving on.

Good luck

I love my Danners. I have the Striker 2 for the field and the GTX for everyday use.