• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What kind of press is this?

jsthntn247

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2009
Mississippi
Thinking about buying this press. It was bought when an older fellow sold all of his reloading gear to a guy in town. It is pictured next to a newer model rock chucker in this picture. Fellow wants 75 bucks for it. Looks like it's built like a tank.

press.jpg

Re: What kind of press is this?

MIne is in storage, so I cant check the model, but I have a RCBS that was a cheaper version of the rock chucker. Bought mine in the 80's Has the same cheaper green handle and as I recall its not forged like the rock chucker.
You have to keep the ram lubed or it will wear the AL out.

Dave

Is the piston hollow allowing for spend primers to fall through the piston and out? If so it's probably an older RCBS. Good press but the primers tend to get stuck in the hollow piston.

The color/texture is akin to a Redding though the way older RCBS stuff was brown.

The green is slightly off from the RCBS, I'm going to say Redding. Big boss maybe?

I think it might be a RockChucker II. Looks a lot like the RCII that I have from a yard sale (some of the best $10 I've ever spent)

It's an old Rock Chucker; the RC II's had a ball handle.

I never heard of any RC having a hollow "piston"/ram to drop spent primers through, they all have that front ram slot that sorta drops 'em into - and then they tend to bounch out of - that plastic tray.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fuzzball</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I never heard of any RC having a hollow "piston"/ram to drop spent primers through, they all have that front ram slot that sorta drops 'em into - and then they tend to bounch out of - that plastic tray. </div></div>

Yeah, they're way old school RCBS press from the 60s my buddy has one he said it was RCBS but could be wrong as it has no markings. It's faded green/brown and all "roundy" looking like the pic above. They apparently scrapped the design when they got so many complaints about the spent primers jamming up inside the piston.

OP: He's a pic that might help.

30ubvbn.jpg

Looks like the old RCBS Jr V press from the 60's, I have one in the cabinet at home. I'll check when I get home tonight to verify.

I have the same press i inherited from my grandfather, its a RCBS rockchucker he purchased it back in the early 70's. The primer tray on your looks plastic, the one on my is like a cast metal or something along those lines. The grip on yours looks a bit different as well. but it works great and i cam make some good ammo with it.
ichuH.jpg

rockchuckerpic.jpg

Looks like its a rock chucker after all. Besides being a little dirty, it doesn't appear to have been used much. Absolutely no wiggle in the ram and appears to be allot more sturdy than the newer model rock chuckers.