• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What kind of reloader are you using?

anothervr6kid

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 28, 2010
SoCal
I'm curious are you using a progressive loader (Like a Dillon XL650) or a basic one at a time loader?

I was at a store and the guy recommended the RCBS Supreme Reloading Kit since I have more control of the load and can make them identical.

Re: What kind of reloader are you using?

Is this loader for rifle or pistol? How many do you intend to reload at one time? And how often?

All of my ammo gets loaded on a dillon 550.

My rifle loads are done one at a time and every charge is weighed.

I have a single stage press but I never use it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All of my ammo gets loaded on a dillon 550.

My rifle loads are done one at a time and every charge is weighed.

I have a single stage press but I never use it. </div></div>

Same here.

So we actually agree on something!

I have a single stage RCBS Rockchucker press from the supreme kit.

I hope to purchase a Forster Co-Ax press in the near future.

As I only shoot long range I have no need for pumping out ammo faster, but instead prefer my handloads to be as precise as possible.

RL550B, bought used for about $100 sometime in the early 1990's. <span style="font-style: italic">The</span> buy of the 20th century, far as I'm concerned.

Just ordered the Lee Classic!! Should be here Friday!

Depends upon your requirements.

My objectives and requirements:
- efficient use of time
- best accuracy I can get from the solution

- mass and fast production of pistol ammo for local competitions and plinking
= Dillon 650XL

- mass and fast production of .223 for local competitions and plinking out to 425 meters
= Dillon 650XL, following multiple pass supporting case trimming, Hornady Powder drop for 0.1 gn accuracy

- accurate loads for long range
= Redding Ulta-Mag for .308 and .338 Lapua, RCBS ChargeMaster for identical loads

- accurate loads of 10mm defensive ammo
= Redding Ultra-Mag for 10mm, RCBS ChargeMaster for identical loads

with these solutions - It is not the rifle, it is not the ammo, the problem is with the shooter!

Dillon 650 for pistol and rock chucker for rifle. I don't shoot a ton of rifle though.

Dillon, 1050's for 223, 40 S&W and 38 super, 650 45ACP, Square Deal B's for everything else pistol. Rifle 308 and 338LM a Lyman quick change collet 6 station turret. 50 BMG-17 Rem single stage RCBS's.

RCBS Rockchucker, from the kit. I liked the kit, but there are some things that came with it that I never use. Pretty good value though, overall. If I had it to do over again, I would assemble the kit one item at a time. But I do love the press, makes good ammo.

I only load for hunting rifles/pistols, so no need for a high volume progressive.

I've done this for 45 years. Own 5 stingle stages and have used others, have never loaded on a progressive and have no desire to do so.

Seems our press type choice should be based on the intended use, not how popular it may be. ??

I know of no press that doesn't function very well if the owner understands how it should be used.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: aeromike329</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just ordered the Lee Classic!! Should be here Friday! </div></div>

Been using mine for a year, seems great to me.

Thanks for all the info...

I will be loading 338LM for starters then 308 later on. I want them to be precise so it looks like I will be looking at a single stage press... thats what a guy at a shop was telling me, but I wanted to get an idea form people around the country.

Maybe when I start reloading handgun ammo I will look at a progressive loader.

I like the Dillon best! I use the 550 for all my rifle stuff and the 650 for all my pistol, ocationally I load 223 on the 650 when I want to just make plinking rounds for the AR. This seems to be the best investment yet. I especially like the 650 for pistol because it automaticaly indexes for you. I added a case feeder and bullet feeder and can crank out massive amounts of pistol in a matter of minutes. Here is a couple pics:

DSC00018.JPG

DSC00019.JPG

Dillon xl650 for all pistol. Foster co-ax for all rifle. Have a dillon RL1050 that is just gathering dust b/c I dont shoot pistol that much anymore. That thing can pump out 1000 rounds an hour!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: anothervr6kid</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for all the info...

I will be loading 338LM for starters then 308 later on. I want them to be precise so it looks like I will be looking at a single stage press... thats what a guy at a shop was telling me, but I wanted to get an idea form people around the country.

Maybe when I start reloading handgun ammo I will look at a progressive loader. </div></div>

What ever you decide you better do some research into the opening size. The 338LM is a weeee bit long w/ an unloaded boolet, he!! it's long when it's loaded.

Cheers,

Doc

I have a Hornady Lock N Load AP for 6years or so and loaded 10's of 1000's of pistol rounds and I really like it. Had both the Hornady and Dillon when I first started using a Automatic. The Dillon was returned after 2 days.

thanks for the info... I think i'm gonna pick up the RCBS today.

An old old RCBS single stage.

My reloader depends on my needs.
I have a 1050 Dillon that has produced an insane amount of handgun ammunition over the years. The machine is capable of speed due to the design and proper dies and powder selection allow for great precision in shorter cartridges.

I have used a 550 Dillon to produce all sorts of ammunition, including extremely accurate rifle ammunition. I weight all powder charges for precision rifle ammunition due to the longer grains not going through any powder measure well.

Everything from 9x19 to 416 Rem Mag has been loaded on the 550 due to the quick set ups. I mainly load 6.5 Creedmoor, 300 Win Mag and some 338 Lapua on the 550 these days for precision rifle.

For precision rifle ammunition in the 550 - I decap, resize and then tumble the brass. After brass inspection - I prime, charge and seat progressively. The 550 is faster and just as precise as loading on a single stage with proper die set up.

I also have an RCBS single station press, but it tends to sit in the corner for long periods of time these days...

I have a RCBS Roch Chucker I bought when i was in High School and I load everything on it it is slow for pistol ammo but it works and I don't shoot pistols that much.

I use all Dillon's here. My square deal is setup for 38 special. The 550 for 38 super, and my 650 for 45acp . So far all my rifle has been done on my 650 as well. Next week it will be ready to reload 308. Several years ago I was given a single stage press but never use it much except for depriming a case or two.

Paul

For pistol ammo I use the Dillon 550B because it's faster for that application with the exception of loading 40 S&W's and 45 ACP were I run the cases through a push through case resizer on my single stage Lee Classic Cast. I reload alot of range brass and shoot IDPA style pistol matches at my local club and the case resize step is there might be swelled out cases from loose chambers from all the mixed brass I pick up. It's just cheap insursurance for making sure the slide goes all the way forward or my moonclip reloads in my revovler will just drop in the cylinder. I would use the Dillon 550B to reload a big run of rifle ammo that I would not worry about the accurracy of it like .223 ammo for my AR-15s.

That said for my long range rifles I try to be consistent and precise as possible so I use my Lee Classic Cast. Has a bigger opening than my brother's older RCBS RockChucker as far as handling bigger rounds like 338LM. I like the Lee over the RCBS because the spent primers just drop down through the ram through a tube into a bucket on the floor on my set up where the Bro's RCBS was always popping out spent primers everywhere besides the primer catcher. For big runs I also have a RCBS bench mounted primer tool and extra primer pick up tubes and extra load trays and RCBS Powder Flow powder measure.

I reload .204 Ruger for brother and me, brother's .308, 30-06 SGFD shooting 190 gr SMKs out of my tactical 30-06. Also brother loads his 221 Fireball and I have 22-250 AI that I'm going to be working up a load for.

Guess the question is are you loading up few hundred rounds a year or thousands of rounds of different calibers and how particular your are on how consisent you want your ammo to perform? That would influence what press choice I would go with.

+1 on the Rocksmasher. I got the master reloading kit to start out with because I just wanted a kit that would have most everything I need, and because I got the whole kit for $250 new. I started off with 45-70, but then went on to 308, 223, 22-250, .357, .480, and .45. It's a good beginner kit that will get you started and still let you grow with it.

I really like the press, but large amounts of pistol ammo is kind of a pain in the ass. Anything over 100 rounds takes a while. I sat down and pressed out 800 rounds once.. holy shit! I will be getting a progressive one of these days, but I seem to be shooting a lot more rifle than pistol right now.

I have a dillon 650 a rockchucker and a small RCBS. I use the rockchucker the most. Setting up the dillon isn't worth it to me unless I load over 1000rnds at once.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TAC06</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Guess the question is are you loading up few hundred rounds a year or thousands of rounds of different calibers and how particular your are on how consisent you want your ammo to perform? That would influence what press choice I would go with. </div></div>

I'll start loading 338LM. Once I run out of 308 i'll start loading that (i've been saving my brass). Down the road I might load some 45ACP, but thats a maybe... I have a lot of that so we'll see when I get low.

I ended up buying the RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme Master Kit to start with. It was on sale for a good price by my house... I went to a gun shop that recommended it to me then went to another store to pick something else up and it was on sale, so I went back today and got it. I'm excited, now I just need to learn how to use it and see if anyone wants to show me.

I have been running two dillon 1050's one in small primers and the other with large plus a 550b for over ten years now. I had an XL650 and thought it was the biggest piece of crap dillon ever made, i hated just about everything about it. I friend of mine ,which hadn't been spoiled by the 1050, used the 650 for a few hours and bought it from me, we are both very happy with the deal.

Yep, liked my 650 til I got my 1050. Packed it up and sold the 650 with much quickness.
Rockchucker for mundane stuff and some 338 Lapua, 1050 for 223 and 9mm, 550 for all my match ammo and all other rounds not loaded on the 1050 and Rcer.

Scottsnipe,

What kind of bullet feeder is that? Your pm box is full.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jim the Plumber</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yep, liked my 650 til I got my 1050. Packed it up and sold the 650 with much quickness.
Rockchucker for mundane stuff and some 338 Lapua, 1050 for 223 and 9mm, 550 for all my match ammo and all other rounds not loaded on the 1050 and Rcer. </div></div>
Jim, is the 550 used for match ammo because it is more accurate than the 1050, or because it's dedicated to strictly for your match loads?

Background: In the past I've been loading rifle on a Lee Turret. My last progressive was an old Lee that I wore out back in my IPSC days.

I'm getting set up to load on a 550 that my father in law gave me for Christmas. I'm planning to use it to load all of my ammo including my match stuff for 308. I've ordered Widden tool holders for the dies.

For those who load on a Dillon, what process do you use? If you decap and re-size separately do you use a single stage for that?

How are you charging the cases? If you thow each charge with something like a Chargemaster do you have a funnel or something like that in the charging station?

Dillon 650 for the handgun and .223, Forster Coax for higher caliber rifles.

XTR, I use a two step process for the .223. The first time I run them through the Dillon 650 is to resize and deprime (the auto-feeder is awesome!). After trimming on the Giraud, I send them through again for loading.

The Hornady Lock N Load AP press is a great press. I got one about 2 months ago and I really like it. The older models had issue with cartridge ejection, but the newer model (like mine) funtions flawless and it's about half the price of a Dillon 650.

Im using the dillon 550b for 9mm, 45acp, .308 and .223 I shoot tons of 9mm so sometimes I wish I had the 650 with case feed so I wouldn't have to index, but for now the 550 is able to keep up with my shooting needs. I like it because when I load for .308 I can actually load 1 at a time like a single stage. Seems so far like a good all around press.

Redding T-7 Turret for all rifle, and Dillon 650 for all my 9mm and 45ACP. I use the redding for small runs of .38 Special, .45 Long Colt, and calibers for my buddies. JPG

This is often discussed, but no one ever raises the "quantity" question.

I reload for myself and my two sons- 3 shooters, twice a month (sometimes 3)x avg. of 100 rounds ea.= 600+ rounds per month.

If I had to use a single stage I'd end up a babbling fool drooling in the corner...

I use a Hornady LNL and am very pleased with it. I realize I sacrifice a bit in accuracy with a case-activated powder drop, but it's usually within .2 grains and that's close enough for me.

Consider the quantity of ammo you expect to load and the level of accuracy you're demanding when making your selection.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wannashootit</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...
Consider the quantity of ammo you expect to load and the level of accuracy you're demanding when making your selection. </div></div>

Oh I'm sure that I'll have the tool heads for .223 and .45 set up with powder throws and do quantity loads on the Dillon. Not everything needs match ammo.

I like the single stage RCBS Rockchucker or the Redding Big Boss. Have both and like both.

I use a Dillon 650 for pistol and 223, I use a forster CO-AX for 308 precision stuff.

I had a Dillon Super 1050 for pistol, but it got finicky, so I off it and stayed with my 650.

I upgraded from a Rock Chucker to a CO-AX.

Jerry

Old Hornady progressive (before lock n load) for pistol and it has been flawless through many 1000s of rounds.
Hornady single stage and a Rockchucker for rifle.

Dillon XL 650 for pistol
Redding Big Boss II single stage for rifle.

Single stage Forster Co-Ax for 9mm and 308. Although it works great for both, 9mm is so cheap at Wal-Mart it's hard to justify the time taken to roll my own.

For rifle rounds, a single stage is fine. If you are going to reload pistol rounds you want a progressive. I reload on an RCBS Pro 2000, and have a manual head and a self-indexing head for it. I reload over a dozen different calibers on it; bulk pistol ammo for USPSA shooting, long distance rifle ammo, bulk AR ammo, and hunting ammo.

With that said, I've played with or used most of the reloaders on the market today and recommend the Dillon 550 as a first reloader across the board. It will do anything you want, flexible enough to change calibers, accurate enough for long distance rounds, simple enought to learn on, and is rock solid with a no BS warranty. You can't go wrong with it, and even if you absolutely hate it, it will sell immediately on any of the shooting blog sites.

Im a total noob but i reload on a dillon xl 650. Havent had any problems so far.

I use a Dillon 650 for handgun rounds, and 223. Have a separate tool head with powder die for all cals. For my riffle, I have an old pacific/horandy and an RCBS single stage.