• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

K-Bars What Knife is in your pocket right now?

I just found my first generation Super Knife when cleaning off my dresser. It is now in rotation since I replaced the utility blade in it. We shall see how things go.

Reactions: Sandhog308
A Chris Reeves Sebenza after I run. On top ….
IMG_1262.jpeg
Taking my cheap ass china flipper on my run with me. Might be a $8.00 knife , damn thing is razor sharp !! 👍

Reactions: LonewolfMcQuade
The S30V in the Kershaw is $20 more than their Sandvik 14C28N (not 154cm). I've heard the same thing about the S30v though, but I've also heard Kershaw's 14C28N is phenomenal.

The 14C28N is good, but for only $20 more the S30V is the obvious choice. It's way better.

Just got my SOG Aegis assisted opener today. Mine is black handle with mossy oak safety switch and thumb studs...

They can be a bit different for those who are familiar with index finger switch operated assisted openers but one firm push with the thumb on the stud facing you and the Aegis' 3.1 inch blade snaps out hard and fast like an automatic. Safety switch on top locks blade when not in use. Red dot means ready to deploy. Pretty awesome and ruggedly built knife. The only gripe I have is that they do not have a glassbreaker pommel but my S&W SWAT assisted opening 3.75 inchers as well as the big SOG Seal folder has them, and the both of these are the index finger trigger styles.

Reactions: Sandhog308
I'm always surprised at the cost of Microtech knives, many of which are made in China. They advertise made in USA but then most arent. No way I'm paying $500 for a Chinese made knife.

Some manufacturers like SOG, Kershaw and Boker have cheaper lines made in Taiwan or China in addition to their better lines made in USA or Germany. But those are their inexpensive knives in the $20 to $75 range. Truckstop Junk in my opinion.

Reactions: Blue Sky Country
20230812_085508.jpg
20230812_085022.jpg
20230812_084955.jpg

The Kershaw folder stays in my pocket. The straight tickler is always close.
But damn....... knife work is up close and personal. It's different
They say a dull knife is more dangerous than a sharp one and I agree with that. This particular straight blade however is so sharp that I won't let anyone touch it. It is an ER visit waiting to happen

Last edited:
I'm always surprised at the cost of Microtech knives, many of which are made in China. They advertise made in USA but then most arent. No way I'm paying $500 for a Chinese made knife.

Some manufacturers like SOG, Kershaw and Boker have cheaper lines made in Taiwan or China in addition to their better lines made in USA or Germany. But those are their inexpensive knives in the $20 to $75 range. Truckstop Junk in my opinion.

The cheaper SOGs, Schrades, Kershaws etc to me are like the Hi Points of knives. They will hold an excellent edge and they will do the job, but they are not sentimental or heirloom pieces. If they get beat up or lost or whatever, no big deal. I keep several of these that I hone to razor sharpness with a water stone. Arm hair shaving sharpness and needle tip. And I keep them in jacket pockets, my tool duffel, etc, as backup pieces.

View attachment 8202830View attachment 8202831View attachment 8202832

The Kershaw folder stays in my pocket. The straight tickler is always close.
But damn....... knife work is up close and personal. It's different
They say a dull knife is more dangerous than a sharp one and I agree with that. This particular straight blade however is so sharp that I won't let anyone touch it. It is an ER visit waiting to happen

The rule I use for defensive knives is the same as Curley the farm boss's son in Of Mice And Men uses with his right hand. He wears a glove filled with petroleum jelly to 'keep that hand soft for his wife' while he is working in the fields. My EDC defensive knives are always kept razor sharp after water stone touch-up, oiled, and out of sight unless it is an emergency. For all regular cutting and heavy duty slicing, I have my Sheffield and Kobalt utility folders for that. Replaceable razor blades, those are meant for getting dirty every day.

Many people who use knives for combat do not really know how to use them. Look at the videos of knife altercations on TheYNC and Goregrish. Of course, the quick stabs which almost all of these amateur kenjutsu hitmen and bar patrons had used are quite effective, otherwise these videos would not have ended up on Goregrish LOL, but real defensive knife use is not about lunging and merely stabbing. If in the case you are caught in an active shooter or armed hostage taker situation and you must take them down and all you have is a knife..... You have to get up close, right up to them, use your free arm, grab their weapon hand and put them in a bear hug or pin them against a wall or the floor so they cannot effectively get their weapon to use. And at the same time you plunge your knife deep into a vital and you hold it there, twisting and yanking it up down right left like you would work a manual transmission while keeping them restrained UNTIL they are neutralized and pose no further threat. The blade already enters them and you are already doing the work by the time they even realize that they are being pinned and restrained. These two motions are executed simultaneously. An amateur knife user or criminal acting in a moment of rage is characterized by multiple stab wounds, done in a frenzy. A real determined, focus minded knife user leaves only one massive, scrambled, and cataclysmic wound that looks like the target had been struck by a solid round from a mountain howitzer or aircraft cannon...

The rule I use for defensive knives is the same as Curley the farm boss's son in Of Mice And Men uses with his right hand. He wears a glove filled with petroleum jelly to 'keep that hand soft for his wife' while he is working in the fields. My EDC defensive knives are always kept razor sharp after water stone touch-up, oiled, and out of sight unless it is an emergency. For all regular cutting and heavy duty slicing, I have my Sheffield and Kobalt utility folders for that. Replaceable razor blades, those are meant for getting dirty every day.

Many people who use knives for combat do not really know how to use them. Look at the videos of knife altercations on TheYNC and Goregrish. Of course, the quick stabs which almost all of these amateur kenjutsu hitmen and bar patrons had used are quite effective, otherwise these videos would not have ended up on Goregrish LOL, but real defensive knife use is not about lunging and merely stabbing. If in the case you are caught in an active shooter or armed hostage taker situation and you must take them down and all you have is a knife..... You have to get up close, right up to them, use your free arm, grab their weapon hand and put them in a bear hug or pin them against a wall or the floor so they cannot effectively get their weapon to use. And at the same time you plunge your knife deep into a vital and you hold it there, twisting and yanking it up down right left like you would work a manual transmission while keeping them restrained UNTIL they are neutralized and pose no further threat. The blade already enters them and you are already doing the work by the time they even realize that they are being pinned and restrained. These two motions are executed simultaneously. An amateur knife user or criminal acting in a moment of rage is characterized by multiple stab wounds, done in a frenzy. A real determined, focus minded knife user leaves only one massive, scrambled, and cataclysmic wound that looks like the target had been struck by a solid round from a mountain howitzer or aircraft cannon...
You paint a good picture in the scenario you descibe. IMHO the problem I see with defensive knife work is that you never know how it will go. If I was confronted with having to defend myself with a knife against an assailant armed with a pistol or multiple assaiants, the first thing I would do is resign myself that I am about to die and that I will only be trying to prevent said assailants from causing more casualties then they would if faced with no resistance.

Respectfully

Last edited:
You paint a good picture in the scenario you descibe. IMHO the problem I see with defensive knife work is that you never know how it will go. If I was confronted with having to defend myself with a knife against an assailant armed with a pistol or multiple assaiants, the first thing I would do is resign myself that I am about to die and that I am will only be trying to prevent said assailants from causing more casualties then they would if faced with no resistance.

Respectfully

Truth.

A warrior mindset often involves the acceptance that he will not make it out if the battle alive, but still must continue to be effective until the very end. In that situation if confronted with multiple armed tangos and I cannot isolate them and take them out separately, I would go for who I assume is the leader or most dangerous one and focus on that one. Even if I do not make it out, it would be costly for them as well as one of their fellows, perhaps their lead fellow, will not be there with them either. That is the same mentality with civilian gun ownership. It is not about "winning" a gunfight, as many braindead gun control proponents always like to squawk about. It is about making any criminal or tyrannical attempt costly for the perpetrators.

Reactions: Skeptic1
If I’m confronted by a knife wielding assailant then I’m running like a motherfucker.

Knife fights? Ain’t nobody got time for dat.

Knife on knife? Aw hell naw... Maybe the pepper spray in non-dominant hand might come in effective. Blind and then rush in for the finisher... But naked knife on knife is pure bullshido stupidity. I've seen the results of "mutual knife fights" in the Philippines and Thailand posted on TheYNC. Spoiler alert: Both fighters lay dead or dying, blood pooling around them like a lake and flowing down the street, and motorcycle rickshaws sputtering by, their drivers going: "Nah I ain't seen shit, gotta move along"... In LEO and armed citizenry parlance, knife wielding attackers are usually instantly magdumped, for a good reason.

Reactions: Rookie
Id feel like I am doing something wrong to be holding a knife with all these guns loaded lying around .

What do you guys use to sharpen your blades? This is what I use. I am quite pleased with the results.
20230812_163047.jpg
20230812_085055.jpg

If I’m confronted by a knife wielding assailant then I’m running like a motherfucker.

Knife fights? Ain’t nobody got time for dat.

Or freakin shoot them. Any consideration of meeting knife with knife would be asinine, especially here on a gun forum where we all have access to info and training about carrying firearms. Getting away is always a good option as you said, maybe the best option if it's possible, but sometimes it's not. Like for myself, I don't run that fast (I'm thin and in decent shape, but have some old motorsports injuries) so unless it's some slow fat guy chasing me, shooting might be a safer option than running. Or maybe my wife or kid are there, etc...

IMO (based both on real life experiences and training on this particular thing) the primary benefit of a fixed blade for the armed civilian (meaning armed with a pistol, at minimum) is a surprise "get off me" weapon at bad breath distances. It's a tool to create space to go to your pistol, or even to assist in retaining that pistol; as such it needs to be readily accessible and instantly deployable, so a fixed blade in the belt, boot, etc.

What it's not is something to use against someone else who comes at you with a knife, like some sort of BS Steven Seagull action movie scene. That's hollyweird stupidity. We've all seen those scenes where the bad guy has a knife but no gun, so the good guy tosses his gun and uses a knife too - that's completely retarded BS that in real life results in the kind of scene like Blue Sky Country described above. Hopefully nobody here is thinking that stuff would work with a folding pocket knife either; that's even worse.

The cheaper SOGs, Schrades, Kershaws etc to me are like the Hi Points of knives. They will hold an excellent edge and they will do the job, but they are not sentimental or heirloom pieces. If they get beat up or lost or whatever, no big deal. I keep several of these that I hone to razor sharpness with a water stone. Arm hair shaving sharpness and needle tip. And I keep them in jacket pockets, my tool duffel, etc, as backup pieces.

I think we have very different definitions of "hold an excellent edge". All of my past experiences with the SOG, Kershaw, CRKT lower cost knives has proven to me that they might take a decent edge initially, but do a poor job of holding that edge. For the most part all of these use lower end steel that just doesn't hold a sharp cutting edge very long. As a point of fact (and this is where I admit that I've bought WAY too many knives, from all kinds of places), the cheaper chinese Amazon blades in D2 steel I've bought have almost all held better edges than anything I've had for under $100 from the above companies. That makes me sad, but also pissed off that our American companies are dragging behind on this stuff and still trying to shovel us 440B and 8Cr14MoV crap when it could be something that will actually hold an edge.

Personally I consider ability to shave arm hair as the bare minimum entry level requirement to say a blade is sharp. Even at that, it depends on the hair and direction of course, but I'm more interested in an edge that can cleanly cut Kleenex or similar, and hold that ability with at least some moderate use. Another test is to roll notebook paper in a gentle curve, and be able to start in the middle of the sheet (not an edge) and slice partial layers out of a single sheet without breaking through. But of course the exact nature of what kind of sharp the knife should be depends on the application, and whether it needs some tooth for slicing, or a really fine keen edge for push cutting, etc.

Re. how I sharpen, as asked above - I used a Lansky system for a long time, but moved on to a belt grinder finishing with a leather belt loaded with white diamond rouge, because I'm able to get sharper edges and do it in a lot less time. And it's even easier to maintain an edge, since most of the time all that's needed is to set up the leather belt in the grinder and polish the edge again. Not to knock the Lansky system, since it can give decent results and some sort of guide is helpful with stones, but it is relatively slow. Of course with the belt grinder it's easy to burn an edge if you do it wrong, so there is a bit more to it.

Knife on knife? Aw hell naw... Maybe the pepper spray in non-dominant hand might come in effective. Blind and then rush in for the finisher... But naked knife on knife is pure bullshido stupidity. I've seen the results of "mutual knife fights" in the Philippines and Thailand posted on TheYNC. Spoiler alert: Both fighters lay dead or dying, blood pooling around them like a lake and flowing down the street, and motorcycle rickshaws sputtering by, their drivers going: "Nah I ain't seen shit, gotta move along"... In LEO and armed citizenry parlance, knife wielding attackers are usually instantly magdumped, for a good reason.
I was having a competition with another Sailor stationed in Subic Bay on who could abscond the most panties from girls out in Olongapo. We were running close when I had a girl with big tits aka Malalaking susos 😜that had a big bra !!
Figured that would be counted as a bonus. I was trying to sneak out of the room with it , then she noticed it was gone. 😳
She came up with a Butterfly knife and had blood in her eyes ! I ducked and juked my way out of the room and made it to the street and here she came …holding her shirt as her bra. I could hear her calling me Bastard for blocks. Lucky I didn’t get my throat slit.😬

• Haha
There’s only one thing more disgusting than someone using their EDC knife to clean out dirt from underneath their fingernails. That’s cutting their food with the same knife.

Just picked up a Benchmade Freek to replace my 15 year old endura that I finally misplaced. Anyone here rocking a freek? I like the weight. Feels sturdy. Just gonna take some time to forget that sweet endura.
1000000375.jpg

Benchmade HK14200.
I've had it since 2005 And it's about the only thing I haven't lost.

Been in 8+ countries, nearly had to stab a mofo in Africa (long story) was almost confiscated, been through a motorcycle crash, and a lot more. It just keeps going.

Benchmade HK14200.JPG

Benchmade HK14200.

Been in 8+ countries, nearly had to stab a mofo in Africa (long story) was almost confiscated, been through a motorcycle crash, and a lot more. It just keeps going.

View attachment 8204237

Nice! I did NOT know that the XR crossbar locking mechanism had been around for that long. Ever since SOG began aggressively advertising on Youtube about their XR equipped series of tactical folders, I thought the system was SOG proprietary and was only developed recently. Learned something new every day!

My HUGE SOG Seal and the smaller Aegis are all crossbar locking. All systems do work pretty good, but I am very fond of the crossbar lock and how secure it keeps the blade in place.

Last edited:
Benchmade HK14200.

View attachment 8204237

That profile on the top of the blade, specifically the swoop right in front of the thumb stud, is a really good one for adding a "wave" type feature. I've done this on a few of my own (see examples below, black one is in my pocket today), using a carbide end mill in a milling machine; a 1/4" end mill is about the right size and carbide will cut the spine of most stainless knife blades without much trouble. If you know someone who's a competent machinist, it's a pretty easy job; hardest part about it is just disassembling the knife and clamping it to the table.

You can do it on most blades with some careful measuring, but that one in your pic is a really good candidate.

t1wECePh.jpg

Nice! I did NOT know that the XR crossbar locking mechanism had been around for that long. Ever since SOG began aggressively advertising on Youtube about their XR equipped series of tactical folders, I thought the system was SOG proprietary and was only developed recently. Learned something new every day!

My HUGE SOG Seal and the smaller Aegis are all crossbar locking. All systems do work pretty good, but I am very fond of the crossbar lock and how secure it keeps the blade in place.

Pretty sure once the patent expired on Benchmade's AXIS lock, other companies started making cross-bar locks (SOG, etc).

As for what's in my pocket, my SnG hasn't left it since she got back from some warranty work a week ago. Pretty cool they ended up replacing both the G10 scale and the lock side after experiencing a bit of lock rock.

Bryan
20230808_111112.jpg
20230808_111123.jpg

Pretty sure once the patent expired on Benchmade's AXIS lock, other companies started making cross-bar locks (SOG, etc).

As for what's in my pocket, my SnG hasn't left it since she got back from some warranty work a week ago. Pretty cool they ended up replacing both the G10 scale and the lock side after experiencing a bit of lock rock.

Bryan
View attachment 8204419View attachment 8204418

So it is very similar to the Smith & Wesson Rollin White Patent in 1859. When the patent was active, only S&W was making full bore-through revolver cylinders that took the .22 LR cartridge. Due to the limitations of black powder, the .22 LR of the time were anemic compared to today and all of the other revolver manufacturers, trying to circumvent the patent lock without risking a lawsuit from S&W, caused a flurry of oddball cartridge and ignition styles to be made between 1859 and 1869. Pin-fires, teat-fires. Fin stabilized "rocket balls", which is the predecessor of the Gyrojet... None of them really took off due to excessively complicated mechanisms and fragile components that caused rounds to misfire or vent backwards, burning the operators' eyebrows and beards off. After the Rollin White patent expired in 1869, Colt, Remington, and Savage all started making full powered martial caliber cartridge revolvers and conversion kits for their existing percussion handguns.

That frame lock looks a lot like my old Dakota folder that I purchased at a hardware store in 1998 and carried throughout junior high, high school, and well into the 2010s. Still have it in my DeWalt belt rig right now. It is one of my stand by pieces.

Dakota.jpg

Note the plumbing epoxy that is formed into the blade pivot recess. Assisted openers and being able to browse all over the web for one wasn't a thing at the time but I wanted the blade to be able to swing out and lock with a single wrist flick. The original state was incredibly tight so I removed the pivot bolt, took out both thick plastic washers, replaced them with ones I made from brass, then put the pivot bolt partially back in. The brass was cut from the bases of two Civil War Maynard carbine cartridge casings (reproduction), then sized, sanded, and drilled out until I got to the specs I needed. The bolt is loose and can easily fall out so I adjusted it until I got the tension where I just wanted it, and then fixed the entire pivot bolt in on both sides with Propoxy-20 after sanding up the region with a conehead drill attachment. Afterward it is as slick as any assisted or automatic. Flick of wrist or slight push on the thumb stud and it snaps out and locks, just like in any gritty Korean streetfighting movie, and the correctly mixed, applied, and cured epoxy is pretty much part of the structure, no coming loose. That thing is still napkin slicing sharp and the last time I honed it was in 2003.

Last edited:
Reactions: bforney1984
Or freakin shoot them. Any consideration of meeting knife with knife would be asinine, especially here on a gun forum where we all have access to info and training about carrying firearms. Getting away is always a good option as you said, maybe the best option if it's possible, but sometimes it's not. Like for myself, I don't run that fast (I'm thin and in decent shape, but have some old motorsports injuries) so unless it's some slow fat guy chasing me, shooting might be a safer option than running. Or maybe my wife or kid are there, etc...

IMO (based both on real life experiences and training on this particular thing) the primary benefit of a fixed blade for the armed civilian (meaning armed with a pistol, at minimum) is a surprise "get off me" weapon at bad breath distances. It's a tool to create space to go to your pistol, or even to assist in retaining that pistol; as such it needs to be readily accessible and instantly deployable, so a fixed blade in the belt, boot, etc.

What it's not is something to use against someone else who comes at you with a knife, like some sort of BS Steven Seagull action movie scene. That's hollyweird stupidity. We've all seen those scenes where the bad guy has a knife but no gun, so the good guy tosses his gun and uses a knife too - that's completely retarded BS that in real life results in the kind of scene like Blue Sky Country described above. Hopefully nobody here is thinking that stuff would work with a folding pocket knife either; that's even worse.

This.

Smart people do not go up against blades. Or do knife on knife bullshido nonsense. In the worst case where I cannot have my CCW handgun on me, I still got the pepper spray in addition to a knife. Blind, incapacitate, and then neutralize, in the case some blade wielding psycho is actively attacking...

Go to 2 minute mark for an example of what smart fighters do when confronted by a sword/knife wielder.

Reactions: Longshot231
This.

Smart people do not go up against blades. Or do knife on knife bullshido nonsense. In the worst case where I cannot have my CCW handgun on me, I still got the pepper spray in addition to a knife. Blind, incapacitate, and then neutralize, in the case some blade wielding psycho is actively attacking...

Go to 2 minute mark for an example of what smart fighters do when confronted by a sword/knife wielder.